Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Share your UO Memories HERE!

Mr_RogersMr_Rogers Member Posts: 17
This morning as I was getting ready, I experienced a moment of deep sadness and nostalgia.  I began day-dreaming of the golden years…the years of Ultima Online.  I’d like to keep some of my most cherished memories alive through this forum.  Bear with me… (all of these pre-Trammel era, on Atlantic server).

·         As a thief, I remember running through the woods of Yew… looking for prospective victims.  One day I came upon a Grandmaster Archer, who was killing birds for their feathers.  I ran passed him and snooped his bag, then hid.  There was a magic bow contained therein.  I then stealthed to the unsuspecting victim, and stole his bow!  He tried to fight back, but when he reached for his weapon, it was not to be found.  It turned out it was an indestructible short bow of Vanq.  One of my best catches ever.

·         At a time when reds (murderers) were allowed in town, myself and 3 of my comrades were at the Moonglow bank.  A red was trying to sell his magic mallet to another player.  The 4 people in my party were all mages.  We went off-screen, cast Energy Bolt (Corp Por FTW!), and sync-dumped that red into oblivion, right next to the bank.  Needless to say, the prospective buyer received his magical mallet for free that day.

·         There is a bridge halfway between Trinsic and Britain.  My partner and I used to hide beside this bridge.  I was a thief, and my friend a mage.  As someone would enter the bridge, my partner would cast a magic wall on the opposite side of the bridge.  I would then enter the other side, blocking the victim from escaping.  I would then commence looting the victim where he stood, at least until the magic wall disappeared.  This was so much fun!  People used to adventure on foot from time-to-time back in the day, and not gate/recall to every destination.

·         Of course, I save the best for last. 
On the West Entrance to Trinsic, there was a young player looking for guidance.  Generally, I would lead this type out of town, to possibly steal and/or kill him.  But this one stuck with me…he was so sincere.  A softy at heart, I began to assist the young man.  After conspiring with my friend, my partner led the young man down the street, as I set up a “magic arrow of gold” on the ground.  I created a make-believe arrow of gold coins at the entrance of West Trinsic.
We then told the young man that Lord British himself sent us to hire him, and to come meet the king himself immediately.  The young player began dancing in circles, excited to meet the king!  We wished him farewell on his travels.  We told him at the site of a gate, and with a step of faith…he would appear at the king’s castle.  At the end of the golden arrow, my friend opened a gate to Lord British’s castle, where the young player excitedly, but hesitantly, went through, thanking us all the way for his upcoming adventures.

This last story changed my outlook on Ultima Online forever.  It wasn’t all about the PvP, and the stealing… this experience struck a chord with me so deep.  From this point forward, my friend and I dedicated our virtual lives to Role Playing.  We built a house at the north-most top of the main continent, and lived out the rest of our days in UO fishing, cooking, and role-playing in our home.  Chess, checkers…it didn’t matter.  No more magic… only the occasional treasure hunt and boat trip to Skara Brae for supplies.

Please share your UO experiences on this thread!  May the best MMORPG of all time (pre-Trammel) continue to live on in our memories!

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

I watched friends play UO (and later EQ) and thought...'these games suck.'   Kept me away from MMOs for years.

As the first of its kind, it failed in as many things as it succeeded.  I am glad you all had loads of fun though. 

Let the drinking of the nostalgia bheer continue!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

How about we don't share the past and say we did.  Avoid living in the past and try to enjoy the present.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Roleplaying an environmentalist murderer on Pacific. Tried it also on Catskills, but the RP Police was strong with that crowd so I abandoned that one quickly. The character was originally going to be part of a server-specific story arc, but that plot got dropped. Instead of just shelving the character, I trained her up and played out her part of the story. The Pacific crowd - from the Skara Brae roleplayers to the crossroads PKs - was wonderfully tolerant of different playstyles and it was an incredible experience actually getting to play out a true villain in the game.

I kept a diary of the characters adventures, making a point to keep to a schedule of Tuesday mornings and thursday evenings so that those who wanted to hunt her had a chnace to and those who wanted to avoid her knew when certain parts of the forest were unsafe. :)   http://themess.com/manhunter/

Of all my experiences in UO, my time with the community on the Pacific server was the most memorable. I have never come across a more universally tolerant, accepting and fun-loving community on any other game server.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Mr_RogersMr_Rogers Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Roleplaying an environmentalist murderer on Pacific. Tried it also on Catskills, but the RP Police was strong with that crowd so I abandoned that one quickly. The character was originally going to be part of a server-specific story arc, but that plot got dropped. Instead of just shelving the character, I trained her up and played out her part of the story. The Pacfic crowd - from the Skara Brae roleplayers to the crossroads PKs - was wonderfully tolerant of different playstyles and it was an incredible experience actually getting to play out a true villain in the game.

I kept a diary of the characters adventures, making a point to keep to a schedule of Tuesday mornings and thursday evenings so that those who wanted to hunt her had a chnace to and those who wanted to avoid her knew when certain parts of the forest were unsafe. :)   http://themess.com/manhunter/

Of all my experiences in UO, my time with the community on the Pacific server was the most memorable. I have never come across a more universally tolerant, accepting and fun-loving community on any other game server.

Thank you for the reply!  Very cool website.

There are those who dedicated their entire virtual existence to creating lore in UO.  I don't agree with not rehashing the past.  No modern games pull off what UO did so well... and that is creating a great, immersive role-playing environment with limitless expandability.  We need to learn from these games!  I do not like the direction modern MMOs have been taking AT ALL.  I will continue to rehash the past until another game comes along that is half of what UO was.

I don't understand why you moved my post to "Britannia Tavern".  First of all, I followed the rules, and we are talking about MMORPGs.  Secondly, you moved it to a location where the traffic is much to be desired.

Thanks...

• healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103

I have so many fond and not so great moments relating to that game If I could type and complie it gramaticly I could write a tome.

my first forays into the game I had no clue what to do just wandering around and I see a Laama walking around in the streets I had fought some rabbits and rats before and they had killed me more than once or twice but the more I fought them the stronger I seemed to get so I think to my self this lamma should not be in the streets so I killed it and was picking through its remains when some text shows up on my screen "what are you doing?"  and I notice another player next too me I wonder what to do so I just type "killing a Laama of coarse" and it shows up over my head I was like neat I'm talking to another person i think...

Any way too make a long story short she Informed me that killing "blue" named creatures made me grey or something and other players could kill me with no regrets even in town she then showed me the Bank wow! And vendors who would buy my skins from rabbits and I was hooked for years

• uokingsuokings Member Posts: 2

Ahh good ole Ultima Online. This game is what got me started in online gaming and its where I have my best gaming memories. I've met many of my online friends through this game because it is focused heavily on community and you just get the chance to meet some of the coolest people. I have a couple stories that I would like to share and I will keep them in short version.

First I would like to share my first day of logging in to the game and what ensued:

So back before publish 16 when they made major changes to the game is when I started. When bank checks were white, houses had keys to open the door, and the average players house was a small cottage or small marble. I had been wandering around the bank in Minoc for a while asking people what I should do to get started. Some gave me gold to buy armor and weapons, some gave me advice, and some showed me around. I learned that a great way to get started was killing animals and skinning them for the meat and hides. So I began working my way out around Minoc killing little critters and selling the hides for gold. I was out by the mines outside of the town when a player approached me. At this point, I had no clue what it meant to have a red name, or gray or blue. I didn't realize there were criminals yet and this guy was a criminal. His name was Piatchi and he seemed like a really nice guy. So we got to talking and he told me a little about the game, what to expect when being out of town and what not. He told me he had a big house and asked if I wanted to check it out, so being the noob that I was, I followed him to it. We get to the house and step inside and all of a sudden the door closes and he disappears. I didn't know what to do so I tried to open the door but it was locked. He somehow managed to lock the door behind us and locked me inside. Then a few seconds later he pops up again, muttering some words I hadn't seen before and POOF! A blade spirit pops out in the room I'm standing and proceeds to kill me. My screen turns gray and I stand there confused wondering what happened. Soon after, Piatchi pops out and starts rummaging through my corpse and says to me "See now you learned something, don't follow criminals into their house." and disappears again.

One of my favorite gaming of memories of all time also happened in UO and it involves one of my favorite friends I ever met in cyberspace:

When UO was hugely popular around the release of Mondains Legacy I had joined a new guild, which happened to be one of the largest on the server. Here I met a ton of cool people and made some amazing friends that I still talk to today. One of these people is named Valynn. We hit it off big time and had a group of about 10 people who all played together each night for a couple years. Valynn was an older lady but was VERY skilled in the game. She could do anything from growing plants to taking out the toughest monsters  with ease. Well each year the guild played a game called the Assassins game where people would sign up and get assigned to another person who had also signed up. The person you were assigned to had no clue you were their assassin and the entire goal of the game was to assassinate them and knock them out of the game until eventually it came down to two people who were trying to assassinate each other. We all had a code name and the results from each day would get posted using those code names. It turned out that my friend was my assassin and I had absolutely no clue. Her famous words were "Get em dead" and there was true meaning behind it because thats exactly what she did haha. One year they released misletoe as a christmas gift and when your character walked under, it would make a kissing noise. So Valynn being the funny person she is, lined her entire tower with misletoe so no matter where you walked you would hear kissing noises. She was super proud of the accomplishment so she invited me over to her tower one day. I was not thinking clearly when I went but I seriously had no clue what lied ahead. So she got me to go to her tower and walk all through it and kept typing "Blushes" haha and got me to the top of the tower. Maybe 5 seconds after I got up there I read the famous words "Get em dead". Her Rune Beetle popped up out of nowhere and killed me where I stood. Then I read "You have just been assassinated." which ended the game for me. She really got me good that day hahaha. Sadly she died of cancer a few years later but I will always remember her and her wonderful personality.

Thanks for letting me share my stories and hopefully it will inspire someone to join in the fun on UO.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    What's wrong with the past Wayne, did someone hurt you in yours?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I was kind of the Darth Vader / Spy master of the guild I was in. So many player created situations that I have not seen in an mmorpg since. EvE comes close though.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by waynejr2

How about we don't share the past and say we did.  Avoid living in the past and try to enjoy the present.

Or live in Siege Perilous. Problem solved. No Trammel to hide in.

• nemodain2010nemodain2010 Member UncommonPosts: 23

"PK Run!!"

Vas Flam

Vas Flam

Vas Flam

You are dead.

"Dang, lost all my stuff again."

Heheh, seemed they copied your idea OP:

http://www.uoherald.com/node/681

An event to submit your best memory of UO for a nice robe.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Went to Electronic Boutique back in the day. Got the game the day it came out. Spent the next few nights wandering around, fighting training dummies, and standing in line to buy reagents for spells.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

My fondest memories in UO were hanging out on the logs right outside Trammel and  hunting down Pen Fifteen on the Pacific Server.

Making friends with Dawg and Pyrostasis only to jack their house keys and loot everything they had.

Making player cities with houses and tents.

Halloween when they would let you play on the Abyss server as a Dragon

Pretty much everything before they came out with Trammel which totally killed the game for me.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by waynejr2

Or live in Siege Perilous. Problem solved. No Trammel to hide in.

No trammel to hide in but still the new craptastic gear and stupid colors. I miss a good set of bone armor and mage running around in robes/nothing at all.

Some of my fondest memories of UO where the huge Choas/Order wars between Dragons Family and Hounds of Hell in Occlo on the Pacific shard. God those where fun times.

• greg4096greg4096 Member UncommonPosts: 9

I remember setting up windows macros to get the click click on the dummies to raise a skill.

I remember running from my first PKer.

I remember being in a dungeon with a bunch of people unsure who is going to turn red and slaughter us as we grouped against MOBS.

I remember my first house.

Great times.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

It took me years to come to grips with the fact that my memories of UO were far better than the actual game.

Gotta love those rose-colored gamer goggles.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I only have one memmory...

The game i had allways wanted to play, but never did...  In those days, i still tought subbed games where bull and crap and refused to pay to play... By the time i was over that, EQ was on the verge of release.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by grimgryphon

It took me years to come to grips with the fact that my memories of UO were far better than the actual game.

Gotta love those rose-colored gamer goggles.

I agree with this statement.  I will say, however, that it is STILL to this date the most enjoyable MMO out there.

Check out 'Rel Por'.  It's a UO shard with a smaller land mass to encourage player interaction.  This game is still quality.

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

X-post -

The Devs share their memories here: GDC Vault Online: Classic Game Postmortem: Ultima Online

Nice, thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by f0dell54

No trammel to hide in but still the new craptastic gear and stupid colors. I miss a good set of bone armor and mage running around in robes/nothing at all.

I enjoyed UO before they introduced the item stats and new dyes. I enjoy it now, actually more so because of the randomized item stats but not so much for the bright dyes. 

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

The rubber-banding when you tried to place a house after trammel went live.

Pulled hair out, but I got my spot!!!

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Hey - you guys remember that Chrismas event where they decorated Britain and had Red Team vs Green Team and everyone ran around with warhammers?  That was some epic fun for me back then.  I remember killing red and stealing their robe and wearing it to pretend I was on the red team or dying robes to make our own team.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Just remebered an epic event.

I remember when Trinsic Was attacked, I got on a roof and watched the whole thing while lobbing arrows. Then a huge black dragon came into the town that raped everyone, well almost everyone...LOL.

Also when Moonglow was attacked by these giant Roman looking soldiers and orcs, killing everyone including me.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    I met the woman who became my wife in UO. I walked into a shop and she was sitting in the corner and......