Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse hipsterism

Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Ok hear me out on this, a little mmorpg.com game quality prediction ive been working on over the years here.  I want to try it on this game for a reason.

See ive been noticing a trend when a game is extremely well recieved on this site, gets fanatical defenders of it, uses words like innovative and groundbreaking...ect...that the game ends up being a one month burn out...or a shallow actiony game.

Ive seen it with countless games, wont get into which ones as to avoid a thread insta-derail

Any game that actually does something different, adds a learning curve, adds depth...gets lambasted.  These are the games i like.  Ive been called a gaming hipster for it....i guess liking games that people as a herd hate, and hating games that people as a herd love.

So with this game here...im seeing a lot of both.

A lot of people are calling this whatever word comes after wow you chose as an insult.  This accusation is my first tip off that im not going to like the game...however typically the game that are called unique and innovative are the wow-clones...its how they all get hyped pretending not to be that.

Anyway...ive grown excited for this game as im seeing it not getting a warm reception.  This gives me hope that it will be exactly the opposite of what this sites community accuses it to be.  A shallow wow clone stuffed into ESO lore.

Other than that all i got are my deep, difficult, unforgiving, and hated mmorpgs with small populations...and planetside...yeah not a mmorpg i can like it despite its as shallow as they come.

Any thoughts on the cold reception with this game.  Does anyone else notice this trend with this sites reaction to games?

Im going on a limb here stating that this sites condemnation of a game is a mark of excelence and its overwhelming warm reception for a game is a reclothed night elf with less depth than the origional.

This game may make or break my little theory.  Depends if hype picks up of the game continues to get flamed here as garbage i guess.

meh was too long no one will read lol to the bottom i go!

Comments

• SincerelySincerely Member UncommonPosts: 22

I have an opinion which just so happens to be similar to others.

I'M APART OF THE HERD.

Before you start pushing everyone into a collective, ask them why something irks them. Not all answers will be the same. Some will be, but of course, all people are similar in some ways.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Long OP post

Er what are you smoking? Can I have some?

People hate TES:O because its JUST LIKE every single other cancer clonepark with a twist that has been released this decade. 

• SirmakiSirmaki Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Originally posted by Sincerely

I have an opinion which just so happens to be similar to others.

I'M APART OF THE HERD.

Before you start pushing everyone into a collective, ask them why something irks them. Not all answers will be the same. Some will be, but of course, all people are similar in some ways.

I think you meant "a part" as "apart" means separate from.

I'm bored so sue me. Or maybe your teachers :)

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I could careless what the herd likes or not, seems like if its not Eve, GW2 and SWTOR both up until launch or a sandbox game (until they are released and bomb) its getting torn up and roasted here.

People piss and moan about every game that comes out. I think it must be the cool thing to do here. Most don't even know anything about the game and just roast it because others are.  

But back to your prediction, who the hell knows. Can't really tell until a few months after the game is into its life cycle if it will last or not. I had my eye on it since it was announced for the 3 faction pvp, GW2 WvW was a disappointment but I got almost 800 hours out of it, I have faith that Firor can do it again with TESO.

Do I hope the game is good? Yes

Does it affect me in any way if it doesn't? No

As long as its fun I will play it, if its not I will not. 3 Faction PvP with elder scrolls IP sounds good to me. Take some money. I also bought Age of Wushu and will try Darkfall. Do I care if any of them fail? No as long as I have fun while I'm playing is all that matters to me. 

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

Dear Op,

I've noticed this trend you speak of quite a bit. You see.. it all started for me.. when I used to visit this site casually.. before the launch of Swtor. Back then there was alot of mixxed feelings about it, but mostly there were "Best game ever and Goty!" stuff, as far as what caught my eye. It turned out to be a shallow wow clone.. quite literally.

Fast foward past Aion and Tera all the way to Guild Wars 2. This is a game that i actually have feel in love with. It is in fact not a Wow clone, not shallow, and actually about as Innovative as a Theme-park can be at launch.. Imo. Gw2 is hated on the Site more then any other Game right now... possibly even more then WoW.. even though its the best Theme-park experience you can get for 60$ atm by far.

In sum, Seeing as how so far i havnt seen much positive hype about ESO, Its quite possible it will end up being pretty good.. based on your theory.. Though if alot of positive hype does start to surround it.. then i suppose it will be pretty bad.. >.>

Just kidding I always try the game and make my own decisions first. :P

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 174

I like your post, OP.  I'm detecting a sense of humour in it, though perhaps I'm imposing my own views on the subject.  What I wanted to comment on was this phenomenon of doomsayer prediction that so often is seen on these forums.  I'm sure you recognize the common refrain of 'I knew this MMO would fail.'

I have to say that I cannot believe anybody finds it remarkable that any given MMO is struggling, especially Western ones.  Success story, in terms of what is so obviously the mark of greatness (sarcasm)--mass appeal, it would seem is limited to that favourite of favourite MMO's World of Warcraft.  In second place, clearly failure--The Old Republic or Guild Wars 2 (again, for clarity, talking Western development.  So if I suggest that TESO will 'fail', using the received standard of success, I submit--when TESO does not attain this high summit of beyond all doubt greatness--that I will not deserve any recognition or credit for my truly not very wild speculation of 'fail.'

Please do not take this as my condemnation of your post, OP.  It is only a small gripe that might at best enlighten only a small flaw in your assumptions.  Truthfully I feel like my emotional reactions are quite similar to yours regarding people's commentaries on games (and other subjects).  Also, I do note that you actually appear to have a different standard than the simplistic appeal to the majority, and that you also are not limiting your prediction method to only suggesting failure but also success.  Personally I prefer 'I like this' or 'I dislike this' to 'this will fail' or 'this will succeed.'

But I don't resent speculation.  I wouldn't read forums if I did.  In that spirit, I predict that I will buy TESO and enjoy it--unless it's free-to-play, in which case I'll simply enjoy it.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by karmath
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Long OP post

Er what are you smoking? Can I have some?

People hate TES:O because its JUST LIKE every single other cancer clonepark with a twist that has been released this decade. 

Each spell has its own progression path, each weapon/armor also has its own progression, combat is aim based not tab based, 3 faction pvp, exploration based questing, no mob tagging etc etc etc

Yup sounds just like every other themepark to me

/sarcasam

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I was quite keen on it when various people were lazily spouting wow clone, as it isn't

Then I heard about the mega server thing.

Ughhh instancing
  • MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Do they do this with every new FPS game that comes out too? Cause they are all pretty much the same thing. You have a gun and you go around shooting things. Why don't they ever say "OH it's another one of those FPS games. They are all alike. It must suck. Where's the innovation in FPS games?"

Silly people, what do you think an MMO should be if not what defines what MMO"s are?