Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question

DeludarDeludar Member Posts: 2

Hey guys. I am currently looking to get back into a mmorpg and am trying to find the right one. I played everquest for 4ish years and obsolutely loved it until the end of its time (last expansion i bought was GoD). I played a bard until level 65 and enjoyed playing long hours. I dont want something I will finish in 3 weeks. Can anyone make some recommendations as to whether EQ2 is a good choice. What can i expect from this game? Is there another game that is a better choice? 

Thanks in advance

Comments

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378
    EQ2 will take about as long to progress as EQ I should think. I've been playing casually (16hours a week or so) for 2 months now and I just dinged 20 last night. Max level is 60 now so it will take a good while, and the game is very challenging now. You should feel right at home, be sure to have a good computer though.image

• BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253
    I'm not trying to anger anyone but in my book, 16 hours is not casual.  I would say that 16 hours is a little more than casual, not hardcore, but definitely not casual.  Just my opinion.

Originally posted by BACONX
    I'm not trying to anger anyone but in my book, 16 hours is not casual.  I would say that 16 hours is a little more than casual, not hardcore, but definitely not casual.  Just my opinion.

So 2 hours a day isn't casual? How many hours a day is casual? 1? 30 minutes? A few seconds? Seriously, I wanna know your opinion. How many hours a day is casual play.

• BACONXBACONX Member UncommonPosts: 253
    In my opinion, an hour a day at the most with maybe 3 to 4 days of play in a week.  Even at 2 hours a day you still only get 14 hours in a week. 
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by anarchyart
    EQ2 will take about as long to progress as EQ I should think. I've been playing casually (16hours a week or so) for 2 months now and I just dinged 20 last night. Max level is 60 now so it will take a good while, and the game is very challenging now. You should feel right at home, be sure to have a good computer though.image

Wha wha what?

Lol Anarchy my man, gonna have to disagree with you here. Here is a quick comparison from my experiences with both games:

Played EQ1 from Release to just after Scars of Velious came out (about 3 years). Level 60 was the cap back then.

EQ1: Quantis Darklight, lvl 60 Erudite Paladin. Took me 110days played time to hit 60.

EQ2: Armax Minus, lvl46 DarkElf Fury. 9 days played time.

Granted, I'm not lvl 60 yet, but I wanted to give you an idea of how much faster EQ2 is when compared to EQ1. EQ2 is a lot more challenging than it was before the combat revamp. But don't let anyone fool you, it's still easy as pie. Good solid PvE game though.

Joined - July 2004

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by anarchyart

Anarchy you are either blowing smoke out your rear or you have never played EQ1. EQ2 takes nowhere NEAR as long to reach high level as EQ1 did. LOL

And, no offense, I play about 1-2 hours a night and I hit 20 within a week. What HAVE you been doing with your playtime? I'm not grinding either. That's just doing quests... solo for most of it by the way.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• DeludarDeludar Member Posts: 2
    How bout class wise. Are the classes pretty much the same as they were? or totally different. FOr example. Is a bard still a bard, SK still and SK? or have they changed things around. Because bards were awesome in EQ1 and if they have changed i might consider a different class

Originally posted by Elnator

Anarchy you are either blowing smoke out your rear or you have never played EQ1. EQ2 takes nowhere NEAR as long to reach high level as EQ1 did. LOL
    And, no offense, I play about 1-2 hours a night and I hit 20 within a week. What HAVE you been doing with your playtime? I'm not grinding either. That's just doing quests... solo for most of it by the way.

Well for my first character in Everquest it took me about a year to reach max level, but on my rogue alt I got to level 51 in a month. Getting to 51 in a month on EQ2 would mean many sleepless nights. So in many ways EQ was faster than EQ2: countless expansions and knowledge of them makes for a fast levelling curve. In Everquest my record for 1 day play time was level 14. Thats level 1 to 14 in 16 hours with zero powerlevelling, buffing or twinking of any kind. Level 35 in one week. Level 51 in a month. Let's see you do that in EQ2.

Also, in EQ2 I have 3 alts to level 7 and my Level 21 is crafting level 15. Crafting takes way longer than adventuring, at least for me. Hours of gathering with zero adventuring progress. That's what I have been doing with my play time. Also I have many friends from other games that I chat with and my guild also. Nihilanth stopped by last night to say hi too.image

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Deludar
    How bout class wise. Are the classes pretty much the same as they were? or totally different. FOr example. Is a bard still a bard, SK still and SK? or have they changed things around. Because bards were awesome in EQ1 and if they have changed i might consider a different class

Each class plays differently now, yes.

Joined - July 2004

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

It all comes down to your class and also how the person plays their character.

For myself my main is level 45 and ive been playing since near release, so almost a year. Thats because my play style is not revolved around what level i am but more so what can i do at the moment. I love to explore and quest so i dont concern myself with advancement, it just happens.