Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playable races I would like to see.

2»

Comments

• GambinoGambino Member Posts: 31

Originally posted by nkzz
    To be honest I haven't really heard much about this game, But I really intend to find some info and read all I can.. So far I've found out that there will be no pvp? holy shit, what is that all about? no pvp? The hole story behind LOTR is one big war, and we can't pvp? also the 4 races revealed are all on the good side, so it's not gonna be posible to be on the bad side? sigh.. I really think we should wait and hope for the developers to come with some more info and cross or fingers and hope pvp and both sides will be included :)
    Yes, let's turn this into a EQ and WoW piece of trash, shall we? This is, for once, an MMO with true depth. Just because everyone is on the same side doesn't mean it will be disappointing. Turbine also eliminated the grinding system and scrapped the evil/corrup side. I and anyone else with sense agree with their decisions. Wouldn't your stomach cringe if you saw a hobbit and an elf dueling? That's just dumb, and offensive to a real Middle-earth. We are standing together against evil, and will take part in a lot more fighting than you would think possible.

They won't implement grinding system, well, because grinding as we all know sucks. Just look at WoW and EQ2. This will be the most immersive MMO you have ever seen kids.

• BlittzzBlittzz Member Posts: 261

you know, im with gambino, your not gonna see 2 elves duking it out, it would just be stupid

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

• Lord-ArtecLord-Artec Member Posts: 9
    I think they will add Orc 's and such in a expansion pack. You cant have true MEO with out orcs and such. I think they want to see how well the game takes off. imageimage Why put the extra effort in if it will fail?

PK INC For Life!

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162
    I don't think they are a separate race but I think the Dunedain would make an interesting sub-class of Men. I think they have a longer lifespan than the average Man and I'm sure the devs could put in one or two other perks to make them fun to play.
  • GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by Lord-Artec
    I think they will add Orc 's and such in a expansion pack. You cant have true MEO with out orcs and such. I think they want to see how well the game takes off. imageimage Why put the extra effort in if it will fail?

There will be orcs in the game as monsters that we can hunt. The orcs and other evil races were servants of sauron who did his bidding. Though some were unintelligent some were but they unlike the free people followed a master and the master did the thinking for them. To follow the lore of the books they would have to be so in the game and what fun would that be to play? Turbine is bending over backwards to make this game as true to the book and the lore in the books that it can and they don't see evil races as a payable race. Hey i might be wrong who knows but this is what i am getting from what i have read about this game. The game will be like the books and centered around the free races of Middle earth, I do not believe they are holding back on making orcs or evil races  a playable race cause they are afraid they be wasthing there time cause they don't know if the game will be a success. They are putting alot of effort into this game just read the forums.

imageimage

• NabunibiNabunibi Member Posts: 3

i think it would be great if this game was kind of like WoW with the White Hand
    and w/e the good guys are, with their own lads to explore and raids and whatnot
    like....

White Hand

Orcs/Uru-kai
    Undead
    Trolls
    some tribe of evil humans like those pirates in the return of the king or the guys who rise olimphaunts

Good Guys: whatever their called

Elves
    Hobbits
    Humans
    Dwarves

alot like WoW if you think about it, bump up the graphics...solid game...image

• DevoraanDevoraan Member Posts: 23

the problem with evil people being playable, is that ud have to lose alot of the battles, just cause ur evil, secondly, evil people to mordor have no will, they listen to the eye, they do it, plain and simple. but i think the game would have more depth with evil people. also i recently heard no mounts until later, thats just stupid. . . im just gonna make a dwarf and find a way to do somethin cool. yup. . .

the only problem with mounts is that everyone would ride pretty ponies, then ud see an evil guy on a warg and say "OMFG!!! why the --c- dont i get a WARG!!! no -u--ing fair b----s!!!"image

• HydroPwnicsHydroPwnics Member Posts: 7

Why wouldn't Goblins be a viable Evil race?

Originally posted by HydroPwnics

Why wouldn't Goblins be a viable Evil race?

Because goblins are basically the same as orcs smaller. Plus they are under the control of sauron and have no free will.

imageimage

• DarktaniaDarktania Member Posts: 805

They should consider adding ENTS to the game. If you noticed in the movies there were different sized ENTS. Well they can apply that to the game.

When you start off as a level 1 ENT you're simply a "Bonsai tree". Then as you level you grow in size to a "Bush". Then maybe by level 10 you are a "Hedge". Would be a load of fun! image

Originally posted by Darktania

They should consider adding ENTS to the game. If you noticed in the movies there were different sized ENTS. Well they can apply that to the game.
        When you start off as a level 1 ENT you're simply a "Bonsai tree". Then as you level you grow in size to a "Bush". Then maybe by level 10 you are a "Hedge". Would be a load of fun! image

First this game is not based on the movies so anything you saw in the movies would not be in this game the way it appeared in the movies. Second in the books the ents were a very secrative and non hostile race of tree herders. They were content in staying in there forests and living out there long lives. Many of the ents in the books had become treeish, were they would stand around and do nothing looking like a tree, Thus becoming Hourns, which is what the ents called them after they became treeish. So this would not be a viable playable race, man and elve alike had not seen ents for many of ages.

imageimage

• DevoraanDevoraan Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Grindalyx

Because goblins are basically the same as orcs smaller. Plus they are under the control of sauron and have no free will.

are goblins really under saurons control?image

sure i know their evil, but i thought they were free willed more or less. although having them as a playable race would be a problem because they cannot go into sunlight.

Originally posted by Devoraan

are goblins really under saurons control?image

sure i know their evil, but i thought they were free willed more or less. although having them as a playable race would be a problem because they cannot go into sunlight.

Goblins is another name for orcs. And yes they are under saurons will cause they were created by melkor the first dark lord saurons original master.

imageimage

First this game is not based on the movies so anything you saw in the movies would not be in this game the way it appeared in the movies. Second in the books the ents were a very secrative and non hostile race of tree herders. They were content in staying in there forests and living out there long lives. Many of the ents in the books had become treeish, were they would stand around and do nothing looking like a tree, Thus becoming Hourns, which is what the ents called them after they became treeish. So this would not be a viable playable race, man and elve alike had not seen ents for many of ages.

My post was not intended to be taken seriously. I was just making a funny. But I do agree with you as for the movies being different from the books. I started reading Tolkien's books over 30 years ago so my image of Middle Earth wasn't polluted by Hollywood's interpretation. In the movies Peter Jackson had to focus on the dramatic clashes between Good and Evil because he wanted to entertain the general masses. While the LOTR movies were great I felt they didnt give that special feeling that the books gave. All the poetry and songs that graced the pages were absent. Even Tom Bombadil was excluded.

Seeing Middle Earth in the LOTR movies was like seeing Europe in a WW2 movie. Not a good representation.

My post was not intended to be taken seriously. I was just making a funny. But I do agree with you as for the movies being different from the books. I started reading Tolkien's books over 30 years ago so my image of Middle Earth wasn't polluted by Hollywood's interpretation. In the movies Peter Jackson had to focus on the dramatic clashes between Good and Evil because he wanted to entertain the general masses. While the LOTR movies were great I felt they didnt give that special feeling that the books gave. All the poetry and songs that graced the pages were absent. Even Tom Bombadil was excluded.

Seeing Middle Earth in the LOTR movies was like seeing Europe in a WW2 movie. Not a good representation.

I want to apologize if my last post in reference to yours came off wrong. On these forums here at MMORPG you can never really tell how or if anyone is serious or joking unless they say so. It was not my intention too put anyone down. It is good to see that there is another on these forums who is a true tolkien fan. Again i am sorry if i came across wrong.

imageimage

I want to apologize if my last post in reference to yours came off wrong. On these forums here at MMORPG you can never really tell how or if anyone is serious or joking unless they say so. It was not my intention too put anyone down. It is good to see that there is another on these forums who is a true tolkien fan. Again i am sorry if i came across wrong.

Oh No apologies needed image . My attempt at humor was compromised by my lack of a sense of humor hehehehe. But I do admire your dedication to the details. You must be a member of the Tolkien  society as well. image

• SlagggSlaggg Member Posts: 221
    From what I gather, I'd say that yes, Grindalyx is a fanatic....er, member of said Society.  image

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

Originally posted by Slaggg
    From what I gather, I'd say that yes, Grindalyx is a fanatic....er, member of said Society.  image

I wasnt a card carrying member but I did hang with people that were. We would meet at coffee houses and such to discuss Tolkien's works. We also got a bit into this Middle Earth rpg that came out in the late 80's. I think a company called Iron Crown made it.

I can't really say I'm a 'member' either.  Never joined a club or anything.  But there were a few of us that would riff on themes of the stories.  I imagine it was the same thing you were in on.

Don't remember who made it, but I played it as well, during my P&P days.  So long ago...

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me...Blow."--Ash, "Army of Darkness"

• IkoOnIkoOn Member Posts: 2

Good Side:
    Humans(Warriors,rangers etc)
    Dwarwes(Blacksmithers,Warriors)
    Hobbits(Herbalists,...)
    Elves(Healers,Archers)

Evil Side:
    Orcs(Warriors,Archers)
    Goblins(Blacksmithers,Warrior)
    Uruk-Hai(Berzerker,Archer)
    Trolls(Herbalists,Warriors)
    And there should be some epic races what would be available after you achieve something in the game.(Nazgul,Ents,Eagles etc.)

Originally posted by IkoOn

Good Side:
    Hobbits(Herbalists,...)
    Elves(Healers,Archers)
    Evil Side:
    Orcs(Warriors,Archers)
    And there should be some epic races what would be available after you achieve something in the game.(Nazgul,Ents,Eagles etc.)

While I do think that evil races should be an option in LOTRO, I don't think Trolls should be one.

Think of it.  In order for the game to be lore-specific and adhere to the license, playing a Troll would be way to limiting.  They turn to stone in sunlight in Tolkien's world.  So, unless the player spent all their play time underground, it would just be no fun.  Plus I never really thought they were bright enough to be an herbalist, heck they could hardly make up their minds about how to eat a sack of dwarves. image

Originally posted by IkoOn

Good Side:
    Hobbits(Herbalists,...)
    Elves(Healers,Archers)
    Evil Side:
    Orcs(Warriors,Archers)

While I do think that evil races should be an option in LOTRO, I don't think Trolls should be one.

Think of it.  In order for the game to be lore-specific and adhere to the license, playing a Troll would be way to limiting.  They turn to stone in sunlight in Tolkien's world.  So, unless the player spent all their play time underground, it would just be no fun.  Plus I never really thought they were bright enough to be an herbalist, heck they could hardly make up their minds about how to eat a sack of dwarves. image

A person could play an Olag-hai without fear of turning to stone. But I think this creature would be far too powerful for one player to play.

Without doubt. 

Talk about a scary thought, imagine giving a 14 yr old male, with low-esteem and hormones raging, the ability to play as an Olag-hai.  Bye-Bye Shire  image

Without doubt. 
    Talk about a scary thought, imagine giving a 14 yr old male, with low-esteem and hormones raging, the ability to play as an Olag-hai.  Bye-Bye Shire  image

LOL  Yeah I can see some big Olag-hai screaming "Yeahed I pwned you Noob"!! And then turn around and beg for money so that he can buy a better weapon.