Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has NCsoft shut down a game of yours?

Comments

• EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251

I won't be supporting another NCSoft game again. Mind you, it isn't like the people who enjoy the super hero themed games are out of luck. There is Champions Online and DC Universe, both of which aren't anywhere close to CoH, CoH was my very first MMORPG. Used to play it with my cousin on the weekends, was so much fun.

Sad to see the game go, but I have a feeling it'll come back, or something close to it.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Oh for the love of. If a game isnt making money or only making enough to support itself then why wouldnt they shut it down. I love Tabula Rasa but im not on some crusade against ncsoft becuase its gone.

2 points here....

1. Vanguard has been a money-loosing MMO for years yet $O€ kept it running...
    2. TR was not loosing money, but was shut-down as a crusade against Mr. Brittish.
    But yeah, I've loved TR as well for the very short period I've played it, but won't go on a cusade against NCSoft.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Xondar123

Anyone who currently plays an NCSoft game, like Aion, GW1, GW2, etc, should see CoH as a warning that your game could be killed at any time for no reason at all.

That's true of any online game.  I've loved and played GW1 since it released and someday they will close it down.  That could be tomorrow or years from now.  That's the way online gaming is.  That doesn't mean you have to be happy about it though but don't expect the rest of us to stop gaming or stop playing NCSoft games because of it.

NC has given sub money back in the past and/or given credit to other things.  I think that is a good business gesture.

It took me a month of contacting customer support to get refunds for COH. They kept refusing to give refunds until even after they posted the FAQ that said we could get refunds and they only then refunded me when I linked  to them

Online games do shut down, but NC Soft shut them down more easily, as they focus mainly on the Korean market than EU or NA.

Now with them in financiall crisis it makes them more likely to do so

I hope that they sell their non Korean side to a proper EU/NA company, that will secure more stability

I would only play any NC Soft game if I am prepared for a shut down announcement to come  the next day for a shut down 2-3 months later, which I am not, so I am not going to risk playing any NC Soft game while they are in control.

SOE is the safest, and if any company buys the NC Soft IPs, I hope it is them

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    I remember Dungeon Runners. They ran it like it was from an indie company which isn't neccisarily a bad thing. That was a good game too.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by xmenty

Ncsoft might be thinking why hire 46 dev trying to maintain an old game and only make 3% profit from it all the time.

Instead why don't they get that 46 dev to make new game and earn 50 - 100% profit for the company. 

And also who knows, might be in the future they will make a better COH / superheroes with all the new tech they have now.

I think you've misdunderstood, CoH contributed 3% total to all of NCSoft's profits. Of all the profit NCSoft made, 3% of that was from CoH.

That's actually quite a significant number, and one wonders why NCSoft would rather shutter the game and lose 3% of their quarterly profits rather than keep the game open.

Further, you are aware NCSoft also closed down Paragon Studios and laid off all the employees, right? So they don't actually benefot from the freed up developers going to work on other projects.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by miguksaram

*diatribe on*

I'm sure many, especially those that feel a boycott is the right action to take, will find my opinion irrelevant and guess what?  That's ok because I'm not overly interested in yours either.

Things like these make me wonder if even a fraction of the community EVER bothers to read the EULA of the games they play or like many of us (myself included, at least the first few times I play something anyway) just click the little agree box and move on.  Clicking that little box specifically states you are agreeing to basically rent rights to someone elses IP and servers and as such owners of said IP/servers have the right to discontinue access at their discretion.

A EULA may not be a legal binding agreement but it certainly acts as a warning to those who plan to access a game that the developers can and will deny access/shut it down based on any reason they see fit.  To ignore this and then get all butt hurt later is basically asking for the whooping that turned thsoe cheeks red.  We may not like it, but it certainly should never come as a surprise regardless of the financial state of the game at the time the decision was made.  Just sayin...

*diatribe off* 

I appreciate you taking the time to respond and, frankly, I do think your opinion here is an important one up until thoselast 3 sentences.  No one is talking about butthurt, so let's not got there. Yes, we all click to accept a EULA before playing and do understand that we are paying for a service that could be terminated at anytime.  The difference between your attitude and those that would call for a boycott of NCsoft is that we're not looking to rollover and say, "okay, time to move on to the next treadmill you've created for me", but to actually start changing publisher behavior.

The mmorpg community has been outraged by a number of things over the years and has frequently clamored for consumer rights (aside from the closing of City of Heroes, the Star Wars NGE debacle and the quality of release of Vanguard immediately come to mind).  If there was *ever* a time that the gaming community can take a stand for itself, this is as close we will likely ever get to having the moral high ground.  Just sayin...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Oh for the love of. If a game isnt making money or only making enough to support itself then why wouldnt they shut it down. I love Tabula Rasa but im not on some crusade against ncsoft becuase its gone.

Exactly. If anything, NCSoft has a history of keeping MMOs running long after most other comapnies would have shut them down - Auto Assault, Exteel, and Dungeon Runners are examples of that. None of those three would have lasted half as long as they did under some other publishers.

Boycott NCSoft? There's got to be better uses of one's time.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

[mod edit]

We naturally make statements and opinions based on how informed we are of the world.  How those statements are perceived and judged naturally rests upon how well informed and motivated other people are.

• The City of Heroes community is a dedicated one that has had one of the better retention rates in the industry.
    • The City of Heroes community is a creative one, having generated an enormous amount of custom content in game and out. 
    • The City of Heroes community is a technically savvy one, having created its own set of character builder tools and the equivalent of the WoW armory, among other things. 
    • The City of Heroes community is a generous community, raising tens of thousands of dollars, most notably under the RealWorldHero and ExtraLife charities
    • The City of Heroes community is a highly organized community, having engaged in numerous demonstrations of civil disobedience against its closing.
    The City of Heroes community has nothing left to lose and everything to gain by turning all of those resources against NCsoft, for the betterment of gamers everywhere.  We're operating under the assumption that the game won't came back, but what a statement it would make for gamers everywhere if it did.

In response to the City of Heroes community's initial calls to action after the closing announcment, NCsoft issued a press release on October 2nd stating that they  "exhausted all options including the selling of the studio and the rights to the City of Heroes intellectual property, but in the end, efforts to do so were not successful".  Since then, NCsoft's stance appears to have softened: The Korea Times article,  Unethical Game Closure, quotes an NCsoft spokesperson stating, "nothing had been decided on selling the game or other action afterwards.”

I respectively disagree, as something has been happening already.

Originally posted by Reizla
    ~bad-list~
    $O€
    $O€
    $O€
    ...and... $O€

As you may have noticed, I've opted to quote your "profile quote".  I see some irony there.

You won't crusade against NCsoft even though they shut down a game you loved, Tabula Rasa, that was also making money, yet you appear to be carrying on a personal crusade against SOE.  That little quote shows up alongside all 2000+ of your posts.  It doesn't really take that much to make a stand, now does it? ( ' :

Edit:  Just want to clarify one thing.  I'm not saying you should join us crusading against NCsoft just because you have something against SOE -- hopefully that is obvious.  It's just that, clearly you have a (however small) personal crusade against SOE, so why would you speak against one organizing against NCsoft?  That's all. ( ' :

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    LOl This will result is exactly NOTHING HAPPENING

i dont play COH,  but after some readings on forums, NCSOFT wont see any dollars from me and the community close to me. so,yes, i can clarify u that at least 1 thing happened. From a business pov they lost more than the CoH community, they lost westerns costumers with more than 2 brain cells.it was 3% of ncsoft income and was a RELIABLE source of profit...

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by miguksaram

*diatribe on*

I'm sure many, especially those that feel a boycott is the right action to take, will find my opinion irrelevant and guess what?  That's ok because I'm not overly interested in yours either.

Things like these make me wonder if even a fraction of the community EVER bothers to read the EULA of the games they play or like many of us (myself included, at least the first few times I play something anyway) just click the little agree box and move on.  Clicking that little box specifically states you are agreeing to basically rent rights to someone elses IP and servers and as such owners of said IP/servers have the right to discontinue access at their discretion.

A EULA may not be a legal binding agreement but it certainly acts as a warning to those who plan to access a game that the developers can and will deny access/shut it down based on any reason they see fit.  To ignore this and then get all butt hurt later is basically asking for the whooping that turned thsoe cheeks red.  We may not like it, but it certainly should never come as a surprise regardless of the financial state of the game at the time the decision was made.  Just sayin...

*diatribe off* 

Then why waste your time for nothing..nobodys positions on the matter has changed.  You self sabotaged your on diatribe on your 2nd sentance. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

What the new crowd seem to forget and this saddens me. mmorpgs are supposed to be long term games.  They are set up and funded for the long term, they take a heavy amount of income at the start of the game through box or now digital sales.  The income then proceeds through subscriptions and store bought things and expansions.  It then moves much later down the road to maybe a slightly smaller crew with regular updates.

Look at EQ1 thats still going! Look at Ultima the original MMORPG... that is still going.  Funcoms anarchy online mmorpg is about to undergo a transformation with the conan graphics engine and guess what this means thats still going!

mmorpgs are not fire and forget projects.  They require a massive amount of regular time investment from the consumer.  I may not bother with any petition but I will blink twice when I think about playing an mmorpg from ncsoft.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Exactly. If anything, NCSoft has a history of keeping MMOs running long after most other comapnies would have shut them down - Auto Assault, Exteel, and Dungeon Runners are examples of that. None of those three would have lasted half as long as they did under some other publishers.

Rubbish!

If NC Soft had vanguard they would have shut that down in 2009. If SOE had any of NC Soft games, then they would still be running today, including TR and AA

If you are a Korean then they may keep games running longer than most or the same time as most, but the reason why NC Soft shuts down games sooner than most in NA and EU is because they focus on the Koreans mostly. Lineage 1 is still up and running in Korea, but not in NA and EU.

It is not just the shutting down of games, but the bad unreasoanble business practices they do. They shut down TR just so they could stick it to Richard Garriott, COH was shut down despite making profit, and they offered to sell the COH IP but under unreasonable demands, which resulted in no sale.

Originally posted by superniceguy

Rubbish!

If NC Soft had vanguard they would have shut that down in 2009. If SOE had any of NC Soft games, then they would still be running today, including TR and AA

If you are a Korean then they may keep games running longer than most or the same time as most, but the reason why NC Soft shuts down games sooner than most in NA and EU is because they focus on the Koreans mostly. Lineage 1 is still up and running in Korea, but not in NA and EU.

It is not just the shutting down of games, but the bad unreasoanble business practices they do. They shut down TR just so they could stick it to Richard Garriott, COH was shut down despite making profit, and they offered to sell the COH IP but under unreasonable demands, which resulted in no sale.

I just want to add that, although Auto Assault was not profitable, according to a Warcry interview with the Net Devil CEO, they "couldn't come to an agreement" with NCsoft to buy it back.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Wait... you would focus on NCsoft? its not perfect but its by far a lot better then a lot of other publishers out there, aka EA to name a big one.

Rubbish!

If NC Soft had vanguard they would have shut that down in 2009.

Speculation, at best. There's no data to support that.

If SOE had any of NC Soft games, then they would still be running today, including TR and AA

See above. BTW, I like your SWG logo avatar.

It's up and running in Korea because people still play it there. Are you saying they should keep running, localizing and updating a game for an audience that doesn't exist? Is there a massive isometric fanbase among the NA/EU MMO crowd that's being overlooked here?

More speculation that it's unreasonable business practices. I think NCSoft would have a better idea of how financially sound the decisions were than you do.

"Rubbish!"

Look, it's obvious you're upset your favorite games are no longer running. I ask that you look through your list of why my post is 'rubbish' and really consider whether those are factual reasons why my post is 'rubbish' or jaded rationalizations. Since I know you're probably going to go there... CoH was making a profit. I am not saying that is false, at all. However there are more factors involved in every business decision including the determination as to whether or not something is the best use of a company's resources.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Purutzil
    Wait... you would focus on NCsoft? its not perfect but its by far a lot better then a lot of other publishers out there, aka EA to name a big one.

That is true, EA do shut down a lot of online servers to single player games.

The OP can focus on NC Soft, why don't you focus on EA?

Hopefully though from this boycott that ALL publishers will think twice about shutting down online services, including EA, and also reduce / prevent lay off. Even with COH closing,  they still had to lay off more staff.

I'm interested in seeing how many 'boycottncsoft' people will remember this mission when they buy their preorders of Wildstar and Blade & Soul.

Rubbish!

If SOE had any of NC Soft games, then they would still be running today, including TR and AA

It's up and running in Korea because people still play it there. Are you saying they should keep running, localizing and updating a game for an audience that doesn't exist? Is there a massive isometric fanbase among the NA/EU MMO crowd that's being overlooked here?

More speculation that it's unreasonable business practices. I think NCSoft would have a better idea of how financially sound the decisions were than you do.

"Rubbish!"

Look, it's obvious you're upset your favorite games are no longer running. I ask that you look through your list of why my post is 'rubbish' and really consider whether those are factual reasons why my post is 'rubbish' or jaded rationalizations. Since I know you're probably going to go there... CoH was making a profit. I am not saying that is false, at all. However there are more factors involved in every business decision including the determination as to whether or not something is the best use of a company's resources.

It is mainly rubbish because games really do not last that long at all under NC Soft mainly in NA/EU. Any game can get shut down in NA/EU whilst under NC Soft as Korea is where their priorities lie. Any NA/EU company would be able to keep their games running longer, because their priorites will be with NA/EU and not Korea

NC Soft are heading towards bankruptcy. The closure of COH plus the whole of Pargon Studios laid off has left with a PR black eye, and they also require more layoffs so soon = bad business practice. Surely the closue would have saved some jobs for a bit longer?

NC Soft best course of action is to sell their IPs to a NA/EU company, and they just focus their attention to the Korean market.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,6267.0.html

Fifth of all, I am not giving up hope that we'll still be able to acquire City of Heroes at some point. Right now, NCsoft is suffering a massive PR black eye (gee, really?) for their unwillingness to sell or license the IP for reasonable terms. I've heard some of the terms they were demanding, and they really are unreasonable. Needless to say, claiming that they had "exhausted all efforts" was disingenuous at best. People have been taking to their Facebook, Twitter, and other public pages to let the larger gaming community know what's going on. While I'm not directly leading those efforts, as a gamer myself, I have been encouraging people to share how they feel to other communities so that even if City of Heroes can't be saved, it gives game publishers a heavy dose of reality to chew on.

And speaking of NCsoft, they're not doing so well right now. Their stock price is currently down to 169,000 KRW. The 52-week low? That's right, 169,000 KRW. They are a whopping 52.5% off their 52-week high and have been consistently falling almost since the closure of City of Heroes was announced. While I don't think that investors care so much about City of Heroes specifically, I do think that they are taking note that it represents NCsoft's floundering presence in the North American market. While Guild Wars 2 launched to much fanfare, I honestly don't think it will be the stable long-term source of income that City of Heroes was, and there is a lot of negative attention being given to Blade and Soul even before it launches.

I mention all of this because if NCsoft goes bankrupt or is sold to some kind of holding company, there's a distinct possibility that the IP and/or code base could be acquired at liquidation or fire sale price. It's definitely something that we are keeping a very close eye on and hopeful about.

Rubbish!

"Rubbish!"

It is mainly rubbish because games really do not last that long at all under NC Soft mainly in NA/EU. Any game can get shut down in NA/EU whilst under NC Soft as Korea is where their priorities lie. Any NA/EU company would be able to keep their games running longer, because their priorites will be with NA/EU and not Korea

NC Soft are heading towards bankruptcy. The closure of COH plus the whole of Pargon Studios laid off has left with a PR black eye, and they also require more layoffs so soon = bad business practice. Surely the closue would have saved some jobs for a bit longer?

NC Soft best course of action is to sell their IPs to a NA/EU company, and they just focus their attention to the Korean market.

Fifth of all, I am not giving up hope that we'll still be able to acquire City of Heroes at some point. Right now, NCsoft is suffering a massive PR black eye (gee, really?) for their unwillingness to sell or license the IP for reasonable terms. I've heard some of the terms they were demanding, and they really are unreasonable. Needless to say, claiming that they had "exhausted all efforts" was disingenuous at best. People have been taking to their Facebook, Twitter, and other public pages to let the larger gaming community know what's going on. While I'm not directly leading those efforts, as a gamer myself, I have been encouraging people to share how they feel to other communities so that even if City of Heroes can't be saved, it gives game publishers a heavy dose of reality to chew on.

And speaking of NCsoft, they're not doing so well right now. Their stock price is currently down to 169,000 KRW. The 52-week low? That's right, 169,000 KRW. They are a whopping 52.5% off their 52-week high and have been consistently falling almost since the closure of City of Heroes was announced. While I don't think that investors care so much about City of Heroes specifically, I do think that they are taking note that it represents NCsoft's floundering presence in the North American market. While Guild Wars 2 launched to much fanfare, I honestly don't think it will be the stable long-term source of income that City of Heroes was, and there is a lot of negative attention being given to Blade and Soul even before it launches.

I mention all of this because if NCsoft goes bankrupt or is sold to some kind of holding company, there's a distinct possibility that the IP and/or code base could be acquired at liquidation or fire sale price. It's definitely something that we are keeping a very close eye on and hopeful about.

I wish you luck in your crusade, sir.

• Moe4871Moe4871 Member UncommonPosts: 36

What surprises me is that NCSoft is all of a sudden a "shitty" company because they closed CoH. I mean, they aren't the best, but no MMO gamer doesn't know the name. NCSoft has served as a decent gateway for most to get onto the online gaming scene. CoH was my first MMO. I enjoyed it, and it still is my favorite MMO. I'm sad it's gone, but decisions are made whether you should respect them or not.

All these movements just to hurt NCSoft is not only retarded, but is selfish. Seriously, how can anyone be so hypocritical? They lose their game and care nothing about people playing current NCSoft games, and wants them to suffer.

NCSoft has already lost money closing CoH. A price to pay. What MORE do you want? Bankrupcy? Pathethic. Any kind of vengeance sparked from the game's closure contradicts the claim that City of Heroes held one of the best communities in an MMO. Hell, I still wanna believe it. But just because the game is gone doesn't mean you should lose face. Unless you're saying the game influences how you act? Puppetry.

Find a new home. There will never be another CoH. Nothing you do or say will bring it back. Boycotting NCSoft will not get rid of the pain, nor will it avenge CoH. What NCSoft did wasn't wrong, and all of you are just being big babies about it all, and I'm disgusted. I don't know ANY of you anymore. I really didn't think you guys were serious, but for you to make a website specificly to boycott a company, let alone a Korean company? What the HELL is the matter with you?!

If NCSoft didn't care about the West, then why in the hell should it matter if Western fans boycott? Right, it's all just a waste of time. It's like boycotting McDonald's for making you obese. Not only do they not give a damn, your efforts sure as hell won't give way.

Believe it or not, City of Heroes failed to deliver. You can bring up the "CoH was still making money!" hoo-haw all you want, but as a company, sacrifices must be met in order to prepare for greater profitable measures.

Take your ass to the Titan Network and help develop a successor rather than wasting your time telling everyone how bad NCSoft is.

• Modge-SteddoModge-Steddo Member Posts: 5

"NCsoft has been drawing negative publicity, including a scathing article about the shutdown from local news site The Korea Times, noting that the game was earning $2.76 million per quarter and that 'it is hard to comprehend what NCsoft means when they say they closed it for strategic reasons.' NCsoft's stock price has fallen over 43% since the announcement in August, almost 30% below its previous 52-week low, right when investors were counting on the success of the recently launched Guild Wars 2 to help boost the company."

I got this off of:

http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/12/05/1844208/city-of-heroes-reaches-sunset-ncsoft-paying-the-price

I hope the rats at NCSoft get what they have given. Sure is rotten how they have behaved. Shame

• OnomicOnomic Member Posts: 196

I must be one of the few that prefer Ncsoft over other developers, i playd lots of theyr games and loved theyr old policy that they gave out expansions for free to all theyr sub games.

Coh is among the few that gave out paid expansions but i was never into that game much. i playd it for a few months way way back.

Originally posted by Moe4871

What surprises me is that NCSoft is all of a sudden a "shitty" company because they closed CoH. I mean, they aren't the best, but no MMO gamer doesn't know the name. NCSoft has served as a decent gateway for most to get onto the online gaming scene. CoH was my first MMO. I enjoyed it, and it still is my favorite MMO. I'm sad it's gone, but decisions are made whether you should respect them or not.

All these movements just to hurt NCSoft is not only retarded, but is selfish. Seriously, how can anyone be so hypocritical? They lose their game and care nothing about people playing current NCSoft games, and wants them to suffer.

NCSoft has already lost money closing CoH. A price to pay. What MORE do you want? Bankrupcy? Pathethic. Any kind of vengeance sparked from the game's closure contradicts the claim that City of Heroes held one of the best communities in an MMO. Hell, I still wanna believe it. But just because the game is gone doesn't mean you should lose face. Unless you're saying the game influences how you act? Puppetry.

Find a new home. There will never be another CoH. Nothing you do or say will bring it back. Boycotting NCSoft will not get rid of the pain, nor will it avenge CoH. What NCSoft did wasn't wrong, and all of you are just being big babies about it all, and I'm disgusted. I don't know ANY of you anymore. I really didn't think you guys were serious, but for you to make a website specificly to boycott a company, let alone a Korean company? What the HELL is the matter with you?!

If NCSoft didn't care about the West, then why in the hell should it matter if Western fans boycott? Right, it's all just a waste of time. It's like boycotting McDonald's for making you obese. Not only do they not give a damn, your efforts sure as hell won't give way.

Believe it or not, City of Heroes failed to deliver. You can bring up the "CoH was still making money!" hoo-haw all you want, but as a company, sacrifices must be met in order to prepare for greater profitable measures.

Take your ass to the Titan Network and help develop a successor rather than wasting your time telling everyone how bad NCSoft is.

It is not about City of Heroes. NC Soft do not care about the NA/EU market at all.

They are heading to bankruptcy with or without a boycott, but hopefully a boycott will make them wake up, and change their ways, and prevent them heading into bankruptcy and laying off staff. If COH was about saving money, then that failed when MORE staff just got layed off.

At the end of the day I do not have any confidence in playing any NC Soft MMOs, as what they do makes no sense. Playing their games now is just a waste of time and money.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

Rubbish!

"Rubbish!"

I wish you luck in your crusade, sir.

Their stock price iscurrently down to 169,000 KRW. The 52-week low? That's right, 169,000 KRW. They are a whopping 52.5%.