Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is not free to play

zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
Why you people continue with this deception how gw2 is f2p game? It is not free you must buy this game to be able to play, you don't have even free trial. Planetside 2 , SWTOR, DC Online are totaly free to play games. According to you  all  sp games like Crysis or COD are f2p to

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

HEY! What do you mean, "You people."

It's B2P and what people mean by free to play (wrongly) is that there is no subscription fee.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by zomard100
    Why you people continue with this deception how gw2 is f2p game? It is not free you must buy this game to be able to play, you don't have even free trial. Planetside 2 , SWTOR, DC Online are totaly free to play games. According to you  all  sp games like Crysis or COD are f2p to

Learning the context of its usage is important.

• johnismejohnisme Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Gw2 is free to play in that there is no sub fee,You do have to buy it but is better than being charged each month as well,that's why it's called free to play.
  • KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173
    Well the biggest difference between f2p game and non f2p game is subscription fees. So people tend to understand all non-subscription games as f2p. I guess right term should be Buy2Play as was used before gw2 release.... dunno why it changed to f2p now (possibly because people discussing it already have the game, so in fact for them it is f2p game now).
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    F2P are not really F2P either if you want all the content and the best stuff.
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

HEY! What do you mean, "You people."

It's B2P and what people mean by free to play (wrongly) is that there is no subscription fee.  

Well that is a good answer--It is B2P

Originally posted by biggarfoot

Yes, but you can start to play any of  f2p games. GW2 you must buy and still you have some kind of cash shop inside. It is B2P

• CrydexCrydex Member CommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by johnisme
    Gw2 is free to play in that there is no sub fee,You do have to buy it but is better than being charged each month as well,that's why it's called free to play.

Really? Watch this:

GW2 is NOT free to play "in that" you have to buy it to play it.

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

I'm not sure if I've seen the mistake of people calling GW2 f2p nearly as much as I've correctly seen it called a b2p game (which it is) as such I'm concerned if this really needed an entire thread about it.

These types of nitpicks are equivalent to ranting at your mom because she accidentally called you by your brothers name.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    I say its True F2P. You buy the game and you play for free! You have everything and you dont need to buy anything from store. Definately Free to Play
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by mazut

I say its True F2P. You buy the game and you play for free! You have everything and you dont need to buy anything from store. Definately Free to Play

It's not true F2P you can't play the game unless you buy the game, how is that F2P? PS2 is a true F2P game, i can download and play the game without needing the cashshop, that's true F2P.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by mazut

You buy the game you said yourself.  So it is buy to play.

Originally posted by raistlinm

I'm not sure if I've seen the mistake of people calling GW2 f2p nearly as much as I've correctly seen it called a b2p game (which it is) as such I'm concerned if this really needed an entire thread about it.

These types of nitpicks are equivalent to ranting at your mom because she accidentally called you by your brothers name.

If you look that way everything is without any reason. Nobody forced you to give answer on such ''useless thread''. I made this thread because it is insulting for me as mmo player when someone want to make a blind puppet from me.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I consider those to be 'Freemium' because you can only play a portion of the game for free. Only games where you can play all the content unrestricted for no fee should earn the title 'Free to Play'. Games like Aion.

GW2 is not F2P just because it doesn't have a subscription. Lots of online games that are not MMOs don't have subscriptions. You can't play the game for free, it costs $60, therefore it isnt 'F2P.  It is B2P like most games are outside the MMO genre.  

Not sure why this is so hard for people to understand.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by evilastro

I consider those to be 'Freemium' because you can only play a portion of the game for free. Only games where you can play all the content unrestricted for no fee should earn the title 'Free to Play'. Games like Aion.

GW2 is not F2P just because it doesn't have a subscription. Lots of online games that are not MMOs don't have subscriptions. You can't play the game for free, it costs $60, therefore it isnt 'F2P.  It is B2P like most games are outside the MMO genre.  

GW2 is not F2P because it doesnt have a subscription.. WTF.. isnt that the actual definition of a F2P game. Seems like people dont seem to understand what a F2P game is, which is a subscription free game with a cash shop/microtransactions.

B2P = is not F2P if it doesnt have a cash shop/microtransactions for the game

which basically means that GW2 is  F2P game with a box price. how simple does it need to be? image

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is correct, it is B2P just like Crysis and COD.

There will however be a free trial eventually, GW1 have one. MMOs usually dont get those until a while after launch when the game is a bit updated and the game the devs want it to be.

Not sure about GW2 but usually MMOs take 6-12 months to get the free trial.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

What a stupid thread.

GW2 has never EVER been labled as F2P It has always been labled B2P get your facts straight OP next time.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Phry

GW2 is not F2P because it doesnt have a subscription.. WTF.. isnt that the actual definition of a F2P game. Seems like people dont seem to understand what a F2P game is, which is a subscription free game with a cash shop/microtransactions.

which basically means that GW2 is  F2P game with a box price. how simple does it need to be? image

No, the definition of 'Free to Play' is that you can play it without paying any money. Can you play GW2 without paying any money? No. Therefore it is not 'Free to Play'.

What does  "B2P = is not F2P if it doesnt have a cash shop/microtransactions for the game" even mean? That isnt even a proper sentance. Do you mean that B2P games are F2P if they have microtransactions? Plenty of games have microtransactions that are not considered F2P.

Is Oblivion F2P? You can buy updates and content for that game. Whats that? Its not? Because you have to pay for the game you say? The same applies to GW2. B2P with a cash shop is... B2P with a cash shop. Not F2P. To be F2P, you have to be able to play it for free. Comprende?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

No, the definition of 'Free to Play' is that you can play it without paying any money. Can you play GW2 without paying any money? No. Therefore it is not 'Free to Play'.

What does  "B2P = is not F2P if it doesnt have a cash shop/microtransactions for the game" even mean? That isnt even a proper sentance. Do you mean that B2P games are F2P if they have microtransactions? Plenty of games have microtransactions that are not considered F2P.

Is Oblivion F2P? You can buy updates and content for that game. Whats that? Its not? Because you have to pay for the game you say? The same applies to GW2. B2P with a cash shop is... B2P with a cash shop. Not F2P. To be F2P, you have to be able to play it for free. Comprende?

F2P is a term used to describe an MMO that has a cash shop/microtransactions as its finance model, it really is just that simple,  which is why i class GW2 as a F2P game with a box price. For GW2 to be classed as a B2P game it would not have to have a cash shop in it, with microtransactions. Whether you choose to use said cash shop/microtransactions or not, is totally irrelevant. It is what it is. image

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Are you people really discussing this? Really? Well I guess theres no major MMO release coming up so forums are kind of slow.

Oh well continue on your redunant discussion of F2P, B2P, P2P.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    This really is a daft conversation as im pretty sure that most people realise that you buy the game 1st you think that they going to make a massive mmo like this and then get nothing out of it ? if they were going to do it that way then the cash shop would have stuff in it that you have to buy to progress GW2 has nothing in its shop that you Need to buy unlike many other mmos and anyway if you dont like it or you feel like your being conned dont buy it ,its that simple just like to add to this that if you brought a console game you would pay around the same price for it but how many hours worth would you get out of them i dont know exactly how many ive played on GW2 but have certainly got my moneys worth but maybe to please a few they should add F2P after you have brought the client
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Bollox, all so called FREE to play are actualy even more expensive then monthly fee games... F2P is just a lie.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

F2P is a term used to describe an MMO that has a cash shop/microtransactions as its finance model, it really is just that simple,  which is why i class GW2 as a F2P game with a box price. For GW2 to be classed as a B2P game it would not have to have a cash shop in it, with microtransactions. Whether you choose to use said cash shop/microtransactions or not, is totally irrelevant. It is what it is. image

Uh, no, you use the term incorrectly to describe games with a cash shop. By your logic, TSW is a F2P game. That makes no sense whatsoever.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

The game is F2P with heavy cash shop focus.

The 60$ pricetag is basically for a very cheap lifetime sub (nothing new).

"B2P" is nothing but marketing twist for a regular lifetime sub for other MMOs.

e.g. I got a 199$ lifetime sub for TSW, but I´m not forced to the shop and there are no gambling boxes.

The price difference between 199$ and 60$ is compensated by a much higher focus on cash shop items and treasure chest keys, something which does not happen in TSW

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Yes, you really need those shoulder armor skins with no stats to enjoy GW2.