Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help Convincing Parents

Can you please help me convinve my parents that Ragnarok will not give our computer viruses.

They are not letting me download it because they think people will pass me viruses, is it possible to send a virus to another computer in a game and if so what are the odds and how rare does it happen, any statistics or just personal experience that may help convince them? Thanks.

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    After losing half thier customers to a hack incident, thier servers are backed with a multi-million dollar security system, so it should be safe to play.  If your paying for it then use a virus and spyware checker to make sure nothing is logging your personal data or you could encounter identity theft; and use your credit card.
  • moongdssmoongdss Member Posts: 37

You have a MUCH higher chance of your parents getting a virus just checking their email, based on their uncertainty about how a computer gets viruses.  "ooo, what's this cute dancing penguin in my email?  I got a letter from Paypal, maybe I should click on this link..."

Honestly, adults are afraid of the unknown and have been drilled that if you go onto the internet you'll wreck your computer.  Most Kids teethed on computers and are much more savvy than adults will ever give them credit for.  I say this as an adult who would rather ask a 10 year-old to fix her computer than most of her co-workers.  Most adults can't admit their knowledge is lacking regarding computers and thus say catagorically "No" to things like this.

There is no way that I can see to send files to another player in this game.  I've been playing (and downloading patches for) this game for a year now and I"ve not once had a virus related problem.  You *will* have troubles with corrupted game files after a patch, but that has nothing to do with viruses, just shoddy downloads.

**Do you run a risk of getting a virus if you download the game program?**  Yes, but it's a much smaller risk than just opening your email.  Just run your Firewall and Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware programs and you'll be fine.  Make sure your parents PAY for updated virus protection software, else they are ASKING for trouble.  Only download the game from the official game website and you shouldn't have any problems. 

Tell your parents that just plugging the computer into the phone jack puts it at an exponentially greater risk of getting a virus than never turning it on at all.  Although, you may only want to break out that gun if you never want to see your computer again.  =)

It sounds more like your parents have other reservations about you playing online games and the 'virus' issue is the most convenient one to deal with. 

To put their minds at ease, you may want to let them know that the iRO game community is diverse and friendly.  Most of the players are teens, but you do have a minority of adults, some who are GMs, some are parents of players who choose to play games with their kids, others are like me, Big Brother/Sister types.  I enjoy playing the game and contributing my time in a mentoring capacity.  I just happen not to play basketball at the city rec center =) 

If your parents are worried about you being in an online environment where you could fall prey to chat-room freaks, talk to them about it.  Make sure they know you know the safety rules (like when you learned to cross a street) and that there are responsible adults in-game who do monitor the activities going on.

A Rod of Silence means never having to say sorry. -- Dork Tower

• BroodsteRBroodsteR Member Posts: 86

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOlOLOLOlOLOOLLOLLoLOLOLOLOLO HAHAHAHAA
    HELP ME CONVINCE MY PARENTS
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAA
    DONT PLAY GAMES KID

Liked: Shadowbane, Neocron, Ultima Online(Before UO:R)
    Not Sure about: DAoC
    Disliked: AC1, Everquest 1, Everquest 2, World of Garbage(Warcraft), Eve Online, Jumpgate, AC2, Anarchy Online, Sims Online, Saga of Ryzom, Lineage II, City of Heroes, FFXI, Planetside, UO:R(and after)

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Originally posted by BroodsteR
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOOlOLOLOlOLOOLLOLLoLOLOLOLOLO HAHAHAHAA
    HELP ME CONVINCE MY PARENTS
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAA
    DONT PLAY GAMES KID

Chill out dude, I start gaming when I was 3 (Super Nintendo baby ::::02::)

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there