Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet forum mods

Soull85Soull85 Member UncommonPosts: 15
I want to ask your oppinion on anet forum moderators. So far i see them as being very retarded. They delete any kind of criticism about the game and you get infractions for anything you say that they don't agree with because the code of conduct is so shitty.The give you the "it's not constructive" bs line. If any anet forum moderator is reading this you should understand that criticism is constructive you fking morron. The game is not perfect so stop deleting threads in which the game gets trashed so ppl can know that they are buying an unfinished bugged game.

Comments

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I was infracted today for post that was made 2 weeks ago. My response to someone's post was "lol". The reason behind my infraction was because I did not provide an opinion to go along with my response of "lol".

They are indeed a joke.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Erm...actually criticism alone is -not- constructive (nor is 'lol' for that matter).  Constructive criticism breaks down the reason why something bothers the poster and typically involves discussing alternatives or ideas.  'Trashing' a game is just that -- trash and -should- be deleted.  Now if they're doing that to actual constructive criticism, then that would be something to discuss.

Please note I don't play GW2, so I'm not in any way a 'fanboi'.  I just saw this on the 'forum topics' as I was browsing.

Happy gaming.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Soull85
    I want to ask your oppinion on anet forum moderators. So far i see them as being very retarded. They delete any kind of criticism about the game and you get infractions for anything you say that they don't agree with because the code of conduct is so shitty.The give you the "it's not constructive" bs line. If any anet forum moderator is reading this you should understand that criticism is constructive you fking morron. The game is not perfect so stop deleting threads in which the game gets trashed so ppl can know that they are buying an unfinished bugged game.

My first post over there got infracted just today. My post was in the WvWvW forum on the SBI vs JQ vs SOS thread for this week. It's the second week in a row all three servers have battled. SOS won the first week and the other two servers started making excuses that it was because of the Lost Shores event and the FotM opening up. This week, SOS led, SBI stormed back and the SOS took the lead back and looks to win. Excuses popped up again that SOS 'only' won because of Thanksgiving and that SOS and JQ were deliberately double teaming SBI. 

They said I was 'trolling'. Which, to be fair, maybe I was guilty of that. The thing is, their moderation isn't consistent. If I'm guilty of what they say (and again, I concede I might be) then there were COUNTLESS other posts in the very same thread that would probably be as guilty if not MORE guilty.

They're asshats over there, but if I'm honest with myself, most forums have rather craptacular moderation from my perspective.  I'm sure forum moderating is a thankless difficult job. My direct experience is not unique. Reddit, here and other sites I frequent all have had discussions within their respective communities about just how TERRIBLE ANet's forum modeeration is.

I think a large part of my (and I suspect a lot of others) dissatisfaction is the niggling feeling that ANet hates having forums in the first place. I don't know if anyone remembers, but the forums didn't go up until a little over a month after release. I'm really convinced ANet wants to support the game thru social media and just outright resents the fact the community wasn't satisfied with tweets and facebook updates and that they caved and turned on forums.

• Originally posted by Soull85

If this is what you call criticism, then it's an example of non-constructive criticism.

The infraction (which was, at least, probably a 0-point/warning infraction) for the lol was probably over the top (nless it was in a feedback thread, but probably not...)

I do agree however, they are lock happy. They like to lock help threads the moment they have an answer, proventing people from adding on extra bits of advice.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Ukiah

My first post over there got infracted just today. My post was in the WvWvW forum on the SBI vs JQ vs SOS thread for this week. It's the second week in a row all three servers have battled. SOS won the first week and the other two servers started making excuses that it was because of the Lost Shores event and the FotM opening up. This week, SOS led, SBI stormed back and the SOS took the lead back and looks to win. Excuses popped up again that SOS 'only' won because of Thanksgiving and that SOS and JQ were deliberately double teaming SBI. 

They said I was 'trolling'. Which, to be fair, maybe I was guilty of that. The thing is, their moderation isn't consistent. If I'm guilty of what they say (and again, I concede I might be) then there were COUNTLESS other posts in the very same thread that would probably be as guilty if not MORE guilty.

They're asshats over there, but if I'm honest with myself, most forums have rather craptacular moderation from my perspective.  I'm sure forum moderating is a thankless difficult job. My direct experience is not unique. Reddit, here and other sites I frequent all have had discussions within their respective communities about just how TERRIBLE ANet's forum modeeration is.

I think a large part of my (and I suspect a lot of others) dissatisfaction is the niggling feeling that ANet hates having forums in the first place. I don't know if anyone remembers, but the forums didn't go up until a little over a month after release. I'm really convinced ANet wants to support the game thru social media and just outright resents the fact the community wasn't satisfied with tweets and facebook updates and that they caved and turned on forums.

The forums have been announced before the game was released.

The forums not going completely up (the technical forums were up just a few days after) were dueto problems they were having with their infrastructure being hammered, especially because the Trade Post is web based as well.

In fact some of the jobs vacancies at Anet are web related.

http://www.arena.net/jobs/

Current Job Openings

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• VendettaDFAVendettaDFA Member Posts: 72

I think it is sad that the official GW2 forums, which claim to be a way for the fans to give feedback to the devs, are the last place you can actually give real open feedback. I view their forums as an extension of their marketing department. They know prospective customers have a tendency to research before buying and forums will give them research info. If customers only see glowing commentary then the game is obviously worth buying. So are the MODs really policing the forums to keep trolling under control or are they policing the forums to keep negative criticism under control? It's not hard to see an agenda in place.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

They are somewhat of a joke, I got an infraction for telling a guy to stop complaining and starting to use the invisibility ponds in jumping puzzles. It was a thread about a guy who got mad since he got killed in the WvW jumping puzzle, claiming that PVP should be disabled etc.

• BeowulfsamBeowulfsam Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Originally posted by Lissyl

Erm...actually criticism alone is -not- constructive (nor is 'lol' for that matter).  Constructive criticism breaks down the reason why something bothers the poster and typically involves discussing alternatives or ideas.  'Trashing' a game is just that -- trash and -should- be deleted.  Now if they're doing that to actual constructive criticism, then that would be something to discuss.

Please note I don't play GW2, so I'm not in any way a 'fanboi'.  I just saw this on the 'forum topics' as I was browsing.

Happy gaming.

Criticism alone CAN be constructive, it just requires the reader to think with their own head. If 90 out of 100 ppl complain about something that means it's bad, even if those 90 ppl don't offer alternatives it's kinda obvious the developers should figure something else out. Afterall, it's their damn job :P .

I mean, if I complained to a mechanic that my car doesn't work as it should, I should make him a timeline plan and propose multiple courses of action? No way ;)

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

They just have strict rules that are enforced and most people are used to forums being much more confrontational and having a much looser moderation.

And no, one doesn't have to propose what the mechanic should do to fix the car.

But one can say:

"This car sucks. This company knows nothing about cars. Mr. Joe is a liar. Worst car ever!!".

Or you can say:

"My car broke. I noticed strange noises for a few days and the car some times lost power."

Pretty much all my posts in the Anet forums were complaining about the Ascended items and I wasn't infracted.

Just try to post as if you were talking face to face with a person instead of the regular state of agression most use when posting in forums and that if used in the real world would end with lots of shouting and occasionally with physical violence, and you will be fine.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    I want to ask your oppinion on anet forum moderators.

Never visited the forums there,and doubt I ever will.  It's not often I bother with the official forums for MMOs.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    They said from the beginning that if they were going to have forums they would have strict rules and heavily moderated.  So people are shocked when they enforce strict rules and are heavily moderated?  People forget that at first they didn't even really want their own forums, so when the finally created them they warned everybody that it would be on their terms, not ours.  Agree or disagree, nobody can say we weren't warned.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

It can´t be that bad, at this very site people rated "service" at 8.2

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/ratings

(with their methods and atrocious customer service this is a joke, to be honest)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    They said from the beginning that if they were going to have forums they would have strict rules and heavily moderated.  So people are shocked when they enforce strict rules and are heavily moderated?  People forget that at first they didn't even really want their own forums, so when the finally created them they warned everybody that it would be on their nerms, not ours.  Agree or disagree, nobody can say we weren't warned.

The problem is people don't understand what strict means - many people on this forum think the mods are strict and they are not. There is too much leeway on this forum. I prefer strict but even-handed - which they seem to be doing. To mean that means being and arsehole to all.

The rules on the official GW2 are VERY CLEAR - people seem to think if they try to skirt or dilute what they are saying they will get away with it - it is not the case.

I applaud them for being strict.

Originally posted by FromHell

It can´t be that bad, at this very site people rated "service" at 8.2

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/ratings

(with their methods and atrocious customer service this is a joke, to be honest)

They are not that bad but people who are not happy are the most vocal, especially on the Interweb.

I have had some issues and they were fixed in a day or two - faster than a similar problem I had on a sub game (in fact the sub gamesupport said tough luck). So, I have no issues. You are only hearing one side of the story not the whole story, so I feel the reports about ANY support are very skewed and flawed here (like going to FOX news and expect balanced reporting).

Take things said here against companies with a grain of salt.

• Soull85Soull85 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    They said from the beginning that if they were going to have forums they would have strict rules and heavily moderated.  So people are shocked when they enforce strict rules and are heavily moderated?  People forget that at first they didn't even really want their own forums, so when the finally created them they warned everybody that it would be on their terms, not ours.  Agree or disagree, nobody can say we weren't warned.

I did not know this and it explains their nothing happened here pls move along atitude, but i still think they are going a little overbord with the moderating. They even closed a thread with a funny hitler movie just because it was not constructive. I do think having an active comunity on the forums is constructive for a game. How would they like it if the comunity would not help them with feedback when they asked for it next time. Anyway thx 2 all for your answers, i can see i am not the only one being anoyed by them.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

I was infracted today for post that was made 2 weeks ago. My response to someone's post was "lol". The reason behind my infraction was because I did not provide an opinion to go along with my response of "lol".

They are indeed a joke.

You're not supposed to write "lol" in a forum, you're supposed to discuss and if all you can add to the discussion is "lol" you deserved the infraction. A forum is not a chat.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    This just shows the lack of accountability in the mmo genre. This happens all the time.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Think you sank your ship right there...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    They can do what they want because they are protected and we are not allowed as idividuals to voice our opinion any longer. Look at these mods here. If you start a public forums and bash the games even if it is true they can sue you now days. They are allowed to hype their games and not deliver a product and there isn't nothing we can do unless we stop feeding them money and demand real games again.
  • SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    Well majority of the modding is auto modding. So I'm not sure you can be mad at a person or the system some person put into place.
    Originally posted by greenreen

Their rules aren't just strict they are not enforced evenly.

I got infractions for all sorts of things that weren't offensive.

I posted a big list of them in one thread, if you want you can go look for it.

I got infracted for idiotic things like in the pvp thread, people post the stats for people that are at work - I did that, posted the time/timezone and a screenshot and it was infracted then deleted. There was nothing else in the post, nothing that could be taken as anything disruptive or insulting, nothing. Just posting a screen of the numbers like 100 ppl before me had done.

Another time I bumped a thread by saying thank you to someone that consolidated a bunch of information and had no replies to their thread and it was already on page 3 with people asking for workarounds with threads on page 1 (this was a forum bug). I received an infraction for that bump and the other person has since bumped it twice without those bumps being infracted. Bumping is actually against the Code of Conduct so I accept that one but point out that the original poster isn't being infracted for bumping their own thread, why punish the stranger trying to get views for them and say thanks for typing all this out for us. That's the inconsistency to note.

I don't mean to be paranoid about it but geez, I got infractions for being helpful and saying no ill to anyone in lots of posts. It simply didn't make sense. Either I angered someone behind the scenes or the forum just randomly infracts posts.

That is the first forum I have ever been banned in with over 20 years online in forums. If it didn't happen to you, it's easy to say "they deserved it", wait until one day they target you. 

P.S. these infractions were way before the ascended stuff was released so it wasn't hate for disliking that

You still went against the rules and you posted - hmm - you think you need to look at things a bit more objective? They said no bumps - what is hard to understand?

The OP probably did get an infraction also, if you go and look back. As I said, you are looking at things with rage glasses on.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

As has been said over and over again on this site:  Their forums, their rules.  You agreed to their rules when you accepted the EULA.  Period.  When they enforce their rules, even if you disagree with that enforcement, that's just too bad for you.

And considering the post you made on here about those rules, I'm sure I can easily figure out why you got infracted.

As for everyone who's complaining that you can't say negative things about the game on the forums - you're full of crap.  Have you seen some of the things written about some of the issues on those forums?  There is a lot of negative, yet constructive, criticism on that forum, you just choose not to see it so you can continue to follow the meme of the month.

You want a forum where you can gleefully bash GW2 with no repurcussions?  Welcome to MMORPG.com.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.