Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nothing but a game of old players ganking newer ones.

2»

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Originally posted by notmex

Just look at their own forums. They are full of it. It truly is sickening.

I played for a few months, and it is really pathetic how older players prey on newer ones and call it skill.

The training model in this game gives older players a huge advantage in armor, hull, shields, weapon damage over newer players that can really never be made up.

What made me sick is how older players call it skill. Yes, it's very skillful to sit and watch your skill points tick by for a year or two so you can gank players under 6 months.

Let me know if you would like to join a corp/alliance.

PM me ^^.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Renoaku

I played for a few months, and it is really pathetic how older players prey on newer ones and call it skill.

The training model in this game gives older players a huge advantage in armor, hull, shields, weapon damage over newer players that can really never be made up.

What made me sick is how older players call it skill. Yes, it's very skillful to sit and watch your skill points tick by for a year or two so you can gank players under 6 months.

Let me know if you would like to join a corp/alliance.

PM me ^^.

Why would you want somebody like that in your corp?  They bring nothing to the table except complaints and self pity.  Unless of course you're just trying to pad your corp membership numbers.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Eve is a harsh environment but it seems more harsh than it actually is. People, especially in the forums will shit talk you just for the fun of it. That doesn't mean that everybody is like that. It just means those with the worst attitudes do the most talking because they are better at the shit talk then the actual game. There are lots of very helpful people they are just sometimes a bit hard to find. People are careful about new people and for good reason, some new people are really oldtimers working on an alt for spying. But you have to put the effort into finding people because the game just wont be fun (for most people) if you don't find friends.

People have mentioned RvB. There is also Eve University.  There are new groups trying to put together new corps all the time but again, expect them to be careful. You will also find a few very helpful people in the help and rookie channels. Sometimes even the gankers are helpful if you are cool about things. I got popped by this one guy while I was in a mining frigate. Fell for the whole can flipping thing. I went and grabbed a destroyer thinking I could surely take a frigate in a destroyer. but I sucked. He popped me again. So I sent him a message saying "damn, that didn't go well for me, what did I do wrong?" He proceeded to explain to me both the traps I fell into and gave me great pointers on what to train and how judge other people's potential. He even gave me some isk to replace my dessie. I learned a lot that day from my ganker but only because I didn't throw a fit.

Also keep in mind that you notice the gankers for the same reason you notice the trolls in the forums. Because they are looking for you and want to get a rise out of you. They make themselves noticed. The helpful people in the game tend to not get into your face for obvious reasons and they are usually busy doing there own thing. You got to find them.

Eve is a game of constant conflict so you cant just play it on autopilot like most games. You need to choose your destiny and then carve it out. and the first step toward that end in a dangerous world is to find people who will have your back when it goes down.

All die, so die well.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

Eve is a harsh environment but it seems more harsh than it actually is. People, especially in the forums will shit talk you just for the fun of it. That doesn't mean that everybody is like that. It just means those with the worst attitudes do the most talking because they are better at the shit talk then the actual game. There are lots of very helpful people they are just sometimes a bit hard to find. People are careful about new people and for good reason, some new people are really oldtimers working on an alt for spying. But you have to put the effort into finding people because the game just wont be fun (for most people) if you don't find friends.

People have mentioned RvB. There is also Eve University.  There are new groups trying to put together new corps all the time but again, expect them to be careful. You will also find a few very helpful people in the help and rookie channels. Sometimes even the gankers are helpful if you are cool about things. I got popped by this one guy while I was in a mining frigate. Fell for the whole can flipping thing. I went and grabbed a destroyer thinking I could surely take a frigate in a destroyer. but I sucked. He popped me again. So I sent him a message saying "damn, that didn't go well for me, what did I do wrong?" He proceeded to explain to me both the traps I fell into and gave me great pointers on what to train and how judge other people's potential. He even gave me some isk to replace my dessie. I learned a lot that day from my ganker but only because I didn't throw a fit.

Also keep in mind that you notice the gankers for the same reason you notice the trolls in the forums. Because they are looking for you and want to get a rise out of you. They make themselves noticed. The helpful people in the game tend to not get into your face for obvious reasons and they are usually busy doing there own thing. You got to find them.

Eve is a game of constant conflict so you cant just play it on autopilot like most games. You need to choose your destiny and then carve it out. and the first step toward that end in a dangerous world is to find people who will have your back when it goes down.

Not all that harsh - eh? A guy killed himself because of this game. Not a great testament to the game.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

Not all that harsh - eh? A guy killed himself because of this game. Not a great testament to the game.

The number one cause of suicide is depression. While I can see having a bad run in EVE contributing to that I doubt EVE was the sole factor. Why did this person see EVE as their only reason for living? Clearly something was off with the rest of their life as well. abusive family? failed relationships, lost jobs, failures at school? at the very least this person didn't have enough outside of EVE that they felt they could hold on to. Suicide is not a simple this happened so they decided to end it thing. EVE is harsh but so is life for many people. My point is that there are decent people in EVE, but you have to look for them. The trolls and gankers are just more noticeable.

All die, so die well.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

You actually found the undock button?

that's why I kill betaplayers with my 1y old alt with less skills?

again, try to undock.

+play for a few years, I gladly make a new character again and go 1vs1 when you have 'superior' skillpoints.

What we have here is a player, probably came over from a cookie cutter themepark MMO and thought he was all it going against some veterans just pressing F1 F2 F3 without using his brains, like in his former MMO.

and.....what you might have expected, it didn't end well for him, so the entire game is "a fail."

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• EzraSteelEzraSteel Member Posts: 16

I've played EVE for a long time and enjoy the game.  I've never ganked a new player and will often help them out if I have the time to do so.  I recently was creating a new character and spent a month reading the various discussions that took place on the Rookie channel and found it quite enlightening.  I can't tell you how many times I read about someone wanting to go out and PVP and kill another player!  I shook my head and quietly laughed to myself.  A new player is simply not ready to engage in PVP until they understand the basics of the game and have a skill set that might allow them to survive the encounter.  From a financial standpoint, they aren't ready either.  New players should focus on learning the game, making some ISK, and navigating their way around this rather complex environment.

As other posters have mentioned, find a good corporation and learn from those members.  RvB and EVE University are two such examples of player groups that will help out newer players, there are several others.  EVE has a steep leaerning curve, it is not for the faint of heart.  After all of these years spent playing the game, I still get pissed when I lose an expensive ship, but it is part and parcel of the game.  It starts in the tutorials, there is one mission in which you are forced to have your ship destroyed.  That is designed to get you use to the notion that you will lose ships in EVE.

EVE isn't for everyone, that is certain.  But if you are looking for a gaming experience that is unmatched by any other game on the market, then EVE might fit that bill for you.  Best of luck.  Watch local and keep aligned.

My Best,

Ezra Steel

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by Boldyn

Debate-ending fact:

Only way to get ganked in EVE is if you allow them to gank you.

End of story.

Don't undock what you can't afford to lose, don't go to low sec, don't go to null sec.

Here is the catch. If you don't do any of those things, you will be trashed, insulted and remain poor the entire time. Never get above poorly fitted cruisers and never be competitive. You will become part of the evil, "risk averse" carebear crowd that EVE bittervets love to hate.

The only part of thestory the OP doesn't have correct is the targeting of new players. The people who gank, gank everyone. They don't single you out. They just don't exempt you.

"EVE is not for everyone". Anyone who plays EVE has seen that quote. It could also be said, EVE need to be for more people than it is right now because right now, it's not "for" enough people.

• CancrizansCancrizans Member Posts: 4

Well, let's not pretend like EVE doesn't have THE reputation among MMO type games for being incredibly hard to get into, and to be incredibly lop-sided towards those who have played for some time...more so than any other game out there.

Perhaps the OP was simply pointing to this fact, and that it would probably be better for the game overall if those with a lot more time invested would seek more challenging encounters rather than  picking easy targets. But that is the way of the MMO, it isn't likely to change.

Those who are weak and amass advantage of one kind or another through whatever means will always resort to the outlet of choice for such people: bullying.

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115

It's a risky game to play with a pretty steep learning curve (compared to other themepark MMO's)

If you play EVE thinking you are not going to lose a ship or 2, then your gonna have a bad time.

Good game though, for those who understand EVE, read about EVE and are prepared for what's coming their way.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Orenshii
    Originally posted by Boldyn

Debate-ending fact:

Only way to get ganked in EVE is if you allow them to gank you.

End of story.

Pretty bad story then.

You think that a newby can avoid all types of vultures right off the bat?

Then i want you to explain to me what exactly i should have done in my

case to avoid the sitation i had mr troll.

It was my 17th or 18th day on eve. I  had just got off  the trial . I was in a 0.8 system

mining on my brand new retreiver i was ever so happily to get in finally. While

turning of f  my strip miner to avoid getting 200 veldt from a full rotation, I see a big

ship just appear out of nowhere. Red name and targeted me, The second i saw

him pop up i hit warp to the first station i could bring up.  My retreiever was

geared with scout drones(3) (3) mining upgrade lasers and a surface scanner2.

I started to inch my way to warp when i see my ships hull, armor and sheilds

get cracked down to 2 little white lines on my hull, something like 5% left. As im

still trying to warp cause the retreiever is god awefully slow, he fires another smaller

and X's me on the spot. He tried to hit my pod, but thank god those things are fast.

I thought wow concord is gonna ripp this guys ass. Didnt happen, not even close.

He somehow logged off instantly with no warping etc, and logged on a salvage

ship and looted me before i could bring my scythe back to loot my leftovers.

This was my home station so i was just a warp to the station and back to the

astroid belt.

Tell me "boldyn" what could i have done to avod that troll kill? I had only done

1 rotation so i had no ores yet, I had crap gear nothing t2 but my  scanner

which is worthless. Or anything else to merit an attack. He killed me for

nothing other than the pleasure of being an asshole. How do i escape that??

Huh boldyn how?

Later i was told he cheated with a fast logout cheat or somthing and that I

should have reported him to CCP, But still dont see how reporting after

would have stopped him from killing me.

The Only issue i have with eve, is these types of people.  Hell i almost didnt

reregister the game, because when he killed my retreiver i was at a critical

ISK point, and spent all i had in this investment. Give a dick a reason, He will

ruin your day, usally because he doesnt have one of his own.

O

While cheating bastards are bad, there's nothing to say that you couldn't have been ganked and looted in your shiny new retriever by legit players just as easily.

You broke the first rule of EVE - Don't fly anything you can't afford to lose.

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94
    never liked this game...there is just...too much...too big...and boring as hell...plus u play as a ship....nuff said
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Arcondo87
    never liked this game...there is just...too much...too big...and boring as hell...plus u play as a ship....nuff said

yet you still make time in your day to post in EVE forums?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

You do know it's playing as a guy in a ship right?  If you could only fly one ship I would agree but there is a lot more to it than you're letting on.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by Malcanis

yet you still make time in your day to post in EVE forums?

Soon very Soon, Updated Item shops along with F2p. Watch em holler then.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Cancrizans

... and to be incredibly lop-sided towards those who have played for some time...more so than any other game out there.

A player one-quarter of the way to the cap in most MMOs (a month's time maybe?) has more advantage over a new player in that MMO than a 5-year vet in EVE has over a new player in EVE.

In most MMOs

what a new player gathers is useless to veterans

what a new player creates is useless to veterans

a new player often cannot even enter areas that veterans can enter

level disparity is such that a new player's attacks on a veteran player result in "1", "0" or "Resisted"

As a result, a new player, especially in most established MMOs, spends much of their initial gameplay just trying to catch up to everyone else in order to be able to play with them or to contribute anything of value.

In EVE, the resources, loot, progression system and crafting are all designed to allow every character to contribute to the game and their group in a meaningful way. So, I agree, let's not pretend and let's stick to reality. ;)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Cancrizans

Well, let's not pretend like EVE doesn't have THE reputation among MMO type games for being incredibly hard to get into, and to be incredibly lop-sided towards those who have played for some time...more so than any other game out there.

Perhaps the OP was simply pointing to this fact, and that it would probably be better for the game overall if those with a lot more time invested would seek more challenging encounters rather than  picking easy targets. But that is the way of the MMO, it isn't likely to change.

Those who are weak and amass advantage of one kind or another through whatever means will always resort to the outlet of choice for such people: bullying.

Eve is harsh for new players so it's reputation is deserved.  If somebody isn't willing to deal with losing ships then why start playing to begin with?  Do they think they'll be the exception?  That's foolish at best.

All the vets were new at one point.  They went through the same thing.  The difference is they didn't cry about it on the forums and rage quit when they lost their first ship.  They tried to figure out what they did wrong and do better next time.

The veteran players don't just pick easy targets.  They engage anyone where they think they have a chance at winning.  Of course they won't jump head first into certain death.  Ships cost ISK.

New players and high sec players have a very warped view of what veteran null sec players and low sec pirates think.  I've been in multiple null sec alliances and pirate corps and they don't sit around scratching their beards thinking of ways to ruin a new players game experience.  When they form fleets the motivation is always simply, "let's blow shuff up".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174

A 3month old character can be as specialized in a particular ship (non cap ship) as a 3 year player if you train right.

This is why I like EvE it weeds out the weak and timid and does not coddle them into thinking they are anygood at gaming.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Ah man, they're gonna flame you so hard.

Sad part is most of what you've said is so true its not even funny.

So few EVE players are actually the ones out in nullsec fighting player made battles, doing their own thing.  Most of it is just like you said, high SP players gate camping, or podding n00bs, or suiciding into n00bs, etc.

EVE really econmpasses the majority of what i hate about full loot rights, open world PVP'ers.  They've convinced themselves and try to convince everyone else that it is somehow skillful that you wont a battle against another player despite having either an equipment advantage or a numbers advntage.

BTW This is from a guy who played EVE off and on since release and between 2 account has about 50mil sp. Not that thats a huge amount, but its enough to get plenty deep into the game.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Robokapp

most mmo gamers wil lsay 'we don' want you, we don't need you, we're better off without you".

an eve player will say 'you're welcome to stay. maybe i can work with you on my team, maybe i can't. but i sure can work with you in the opposite team".

Yeah, the problem with that is due to the rules of the game, or lack of them, you can't trust anyone as far as you can throw them.  You have an equal chance of joining a corp and meeting a great group of people to play with, as you do of joining a corp and getting backstabbed and losing 90% of your shit and getting podded by your own people.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Robokapp

most mmo gamers wil lsay 'we don' want you, we don't need you, we're better off without you".

an eve player will say 'you're welcome to stay. maybe i can work with you on my team, maybe i can't. but i sure can work with you in the opposite team".

Yeah, the problem with that is due to the rules of the game, or lack of them, you can't trust anyone as far as you can throw them.  You have an equal chance of joining a corp and meeting a great group of people to play with, as you do of joining a corp and getting backstabbed and losing 90% of your shit and getting podded by your own people.

Identifying, meeting and overcoming that challenge is basically what the game is about.

I routinely trust my corpmates with billions of ISK worth of my stuff because I'd be unable to operate otherwise. And they do the same to me for the same reason.

Trust is precious in EVE precisely because it isn't forced.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Friendship without possibility of betrayal isn't friendship but just acquaintenance. It means that there isn't anything to betray you about between you.

I care about my friends in EvE because i can trust them even in a "no rules steal everything and give nothing back" kind of world like eve. Ofc having a car, a baseball bat and knowing where they live helps too. Hehe just kidding, but once you go a little deeper into the game, meet at fanfests or go to your alliances annual BBQ ... betrayal isn't that common anymore, certainly not more common than in the real world. Nothing stopping you from getting to know your corpmembers a bit better, and if your corp is all about internet anonymity ... well don't trust them with your account info as thats the only way for them to really "steal everything" from you.