Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if i had 500$ to spend what should i build?

2»

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The 6300 is the pick of the AMD processors.

But at $500 I would go with an i5 2500k even though the motherboard is obsolete. Probably pair it with a 7850 which is good enough to play just about every game on high settings.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The 6300 is the pick of the AMD processors.But at $500 I would go with an i5 2500k even though the motherboard is obsolete. Probably pair it with a 7850 which is good enough to play just about every game on high settings.

Why on earth would you recommend a Sandy Bridge over an Ivy Bridge, and then go on to cite the motherboard as obsolete, when they use the exact same motherboards and pretty much cost the same?

CPU - $220 (either 2500k or 3570k)
    Motherboard - as cheap as $50, but the cheapest one I would touch is about $125

and we know he needs new RAM - $30
    And a new power supply - $50

That puts you up to $425 - doable inside the budget, but not with a 7850, or any video card of note that is any better than a 7750. You could get a 64G SSD inside the remaining $75, but I wouldn't really recommend that - you have room for Windows + maybe one or two games, and it would always be tight on space.

The AMD build Quiz posts with a sizable SSD would probably be a more dramatic overall upgrade, however it's possible to do Intel on that budget. I just don't know why you would pitch a 2500k.