Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What 3 games did you waste money on in 2012?

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I'm not a real game-buyer, but the ones I wasted my money on are:

• Guild Wars 2 - I hoped this game would be something new and nice, but boredom struck after 100 hours of playing and not even hitting 80...
    • RIFT - Good thing I did get a refund for the expansion...
    • TERA - 1 month of playing and I got bored like hell...
  • PsyentistPsyentist Member UncommonPosts: 46

I threw a few bucks into Sevencore just to have a nice mount for my trial, but that ended quickly.  Uhg.

Really, that's about it.  Not to gloat as I have been relegated to playing almost exclusively betas and such for the last 3 months, but I think my thriftiness saved me a bunch this year.

Thankfully, I was dissuaded from getting D3 by testing over at a friend's house and remembering how the overly-simplistic UI and stiff control strategy annoyed me in the first game.  Even then I almost bought it digitally when I was bored, but thankfully I read more reviews and ran the other way.

In terms of non-mmos, I bought Hitman Absolution and Dishonored, both pretty short, but I'm satisfied with what I got and will replay them often.

Was Skyrim last year?  Well I guess the DLCs count and I got those.

My one gamble upcoming will be Neverwinter.  I love D&D settings so much that I will shell out $40-60 initially and probably plenty more as the game progresses.  Hopefully Cryptic will pull out another rare win like they did with STO.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235

WoW, bought the Battle Chest for 5 euros and decided to try it and explore the world, as I really like the artstyle. Turns out that's the only thing I like about the game :P Then again I got about 40 hours in, which isn't too bad for 5 euros...

Crusader Kings II - A really deep RTS, huge leveling curve and even more to learn once you get the basics of the game. Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would... Will probably check it out again soon as I'm kinda burnt out with the current MMORPGs...

The rest of the games I bought mostly were on sale and I either had a lot of fun in them or I played the games already before buying (if I have fun I'll eventually buy them. Good guy me I guess). I enjoyed and clocked quite a bit of time in GW2, RIFT, SWTOR, Orcs Must Die (1 and 2, gibbing orcs is fun!), BF3 Premium and D3. Still playing most of those, some more than others, and even if I never played any of those again I wouldn't call it a waste of money (well... aside from my years sub to RIFT).

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

gw2

rift

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    D3 was my most disappointing purchase. I really wanted to like it more. Still, it wasn't a waste of money since I played alot.

Luckily I learned that I should try mmos before buying and didn't get bitten by TSW, TOR or Tera.

• vocah1234vocah1234 Member UncommonPosts: 3

My biggest waists of money this year where:

1. TSW - bought lifetime acc wish i hadn't

2. GW2

3. D3

Wish i hadn't bought any of these games specially TSW, lifetime account never gets used.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    GW2 - was fun for a week but MMO should last longer.
  • EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

Wastes of cash... Step back guys I got this..

Diablo 3 - Junk, more than junk, what is fun about running around holding right click on things, the story is garbage. You pretty much need to know some friends to get any kind of fun from it in my opinion or really love the challenge of completing it on hardcore inferno mode.

SWTOR - I did enjoy my class story, but when we talk about MMOs we expect more life from a game than one month, such a monumental let down of a game, what it has become since makes me question exactly what the people in suits really are doing. I would have about 80% of the posters on this website make the choices instead over EAware.

BF3 - Just not as good as Bad Company 2, would of been better to play that instead, hardly invested much time into it, not nearly the same amount as I have with BFBC2.

TSW - I enjoyed  the suprisingly difficult Investigation missions, and I really liked the idea of the skill system, but the rest of this game is a let down.

The end of the year is looking up though, Archeage beta in december, Planet side 2 is really scratching my FPS itch. Eve and WoW are both treating me well.

I'm still deciding wether I regret purchasing Hitman: Absolution, very short game, not tried the contracts but have no urge to get back into it. I think it might be a waste, but I enjoyed my short time in it.

• Arcondo87Arcondo87 Member Posts: 94

-D3

-TheWarZ(but i got my refund)

-BF3

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

None, why I beta test, research, and/or watch videos before purchasing games.

That and I know I'm not the top of guy for subs, I did purchase TSW and used that for a game to pass August until GW2 came out, though I'm not consistent in play time I prolly wouldn't have bought the game if GW2 came out later.

(Casual I am.)

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
       Does SWTOR count? It came out at the end of last year.
  • Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

only 3?

how Bout

SWtor (dec 2011)

Tera

TSW lifetime sub

GW2

Diablo 3

Torchlight 2

Heroes of Might and Magic 6 (cause I was bored)

Ill eventually add Storm Legion to this list I am sure, but having fun currently

TSW lifetime sub...

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Laross

DF:UW  oh wait too early.

That and there's no purchase fee...

• oreal52oreal52 Member UncommonPosts: 79

Wings of Destiny

Spent like 500+ dollars to be server first  image

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

Yeah, I would have to put SWTOR on my list and Guild Wars 2...I wanted so much to like these games, but once you get that "Pause before hitting the log in" feeling, you know you are done with a game...

I also wasted money on Arma 2 just to play DayZ, then to learn that a standalone version was coming...

And I would say Yogscraft, because after sponsoring their Kickstarter it has been a no show on whats going on there...

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

GW2

SWTOR

BF3

RAGE

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

If by waste you meant actually felt a waste of money on

1) AOC-collectors edition + some other AOC related crap totaling about 100$

2) FFXIV-Collectors edition around 75$

3) cant think of another

If by waste you mean money spent wheater you enjoyed it or not:

1) 5 years of Subscription to FFXI with multiple accounts sometimes with extra character slots at times: Total Guestimation 1500$

Would I do it again? Hell F%@#ing yes I would, in a heartbeat. But sadly that was a REAL MMORPG and they dont make those anymore. Still have some hope for AA, and slightly more hope for EQnext.

EDIT: I missed the 2012 part............. I wasted 0$ on an MMO in 2012, because i knew they were all a waste of money before they released.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62

1.- Tera

2.- GW2

3.- Vanguard (again!).

Tera was ok, but they seriously need to put more claesses and sence of progress.

GW2... what can i say that has not been told? i dont know why i wasted money on it to begin with.

Vanguard? well i wanted to give a shot again.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I only bought a handful of games this year.

The only one that I feel I wasted my money on is Diablo 3.

Edit:  Correction... after reading a few other responses it reminded me that I bought FFXIV.  Another waste of money.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    All triple A mmo's over the last 8 years since Wow. The worst of the three would be Warhammer, EQ2, Swtor.
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Krater was a huuuuge disappointment ,grrr

Just bought Miner Wars 2081 few minutes ago,lets see how that turns out.

Let's internet

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. Guild Wars 2

2. Diablo 3

3. The Secret World

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

wasted for means...

didnt get enough out for the money. means, didnt play the game for at least a week

guild wars 2

mass effect 3 (the new one)

i also bought TSW, D3 and some BF3 addons. maybe i wasted the money on the last add ons, but i got my money worth of fun out of those games, though i didnt play tsw or d3 longer than a month.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

I cant honestly say i felt cheated on any game i bought in 2012. I still havent finished the majority of single player games.

If i had to pick one id guess Hunted was kind of like yea? Thats it? of course i never beat it on other levels available so i cant say i played it to its fullest.Also never did the whole co-op

Actually i take that back....

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12.

I was royally pissed when i started the PGA Tour Season and the 3rd course in was a bonus course you had to pay like $15-$20 bucks for or some trash.I dont think i even played it after seeing this shit. Not being able to fully complete(achievements and what not) a game because a brand new game came with bonus courses you had to unlock for extra cash was garbage.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I don't have any regrets about the money I spent on gaming this year. I did spend a lot more than in previous years, but I don't feel ripped off by any of it like I did after Aion.