Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the point of a browser client?

adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I mean really, why?  It's not like it will run in a browser on a mobile platform.  Will it even run in linux or mac?   It's not like it gets around the normal hardware requirements for a game with decent graphics.

Just don't get it.

Comments

• KamikazegoKamikazego Member UncommonPosts: 224
    Originally posted by adam_nox

I mean really, why?  It's not like it will run in a browser on a mobile platform.  Will it even run in linux or mac?   It's not like it gets around the normal hardware requirements for a game with decent graphics.

Just don't get it.

I'm not an expert, so I'm not entirely sure. However, I would imagine that one of the main things would be the bandwidth issue. If they had a downloadable client, it's possible that they would have a huge up-front issue when everyone is trying to download the client.  Not to mention that it probably requires more bandwidth overall.

Another things could possibly be due to their type of expertise.  Coding in the browser is surely different than other types of coding.

• CoS_IanCoS_Ian Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by adam_nox

Just don't get it.

Our main reason is accessibility; anyone with modest hardware can run the game, and do so easily from a browser without having to download massive amounts of data to start playing (or even update for that matter). It can run Mac, and anything that can run Unity, essentially. It can be awkward to play on certain mobile apps, of course, but we're at least thinking of having companion apps to still check up on the game in other ways.

Kamikazego's right, too, we gambled on Unity back when it was relatively new, and have been learning and using it as it grew. So far we're very happy with its capabilities and potential for future development.

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

• CoS_DorianCoS_Dorian Member Posts: 3

Was posting a reply but Ian beat me to this. :P

City of Steam-Unity3D-based web game to be expected next year.
    http://www.cityofsteam.com

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by CoS_Ian
    Originally posted by adam_nox I mean really, why?  It's not like it will run in a browser on a mobile platform.  Will it even run in linux or mac?   It's not like it gets around the normal hardware requirements for a game with decent graphics.   Just don't get it.
    Our main reason is accessibility; anyone with modest hardware can run the game, and do so easily from a browser without having to download massive amounts of data to start playing (or even update for that matter). It can run Mac, and anything that can run Unity, essentially. It can be awkward to play on certain mobile apps, of course, but we're at least thinking of having companion apps to still check up on the game in other ways.

Kamikazego's right, too, we gambled on Unity back when it was relatively new, and have been learning and using it as it grew. So far we're very happy with its capabilities and potential for future development.

Unity is also pushing out to the mobile market and to other operating systems (Linux anyone?). I didn't see anything about a Unity Client outside of the browser. Are there any plans to allow using the Unity Client outside of the browser?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CoS_IanCoS_Ian Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by CoS_Ian

Originally posted by adam_nox I mean really, why?  It's not like it will run in a browser on a mobile platform.  Will it even run in linux or mac?   It's not like it gets around the normal hardware requirements for a game with decent graphics.   Just don't get it.

Unity is also pushing out to the mobile market and to other operating systems (Linux anyone?). I didn't see anything about a Unity Client outside of the browser. Are there any plans to allow using the Unity Client outside of the browser?

It's a possibility we've toyed with for the future, but for now, we want to further stabilize the game through testing and optimization (we're currently in Closed Beta). After that, and if we see enough demand for it, then we can definitely start looking further into making a client version.

City of Steam - Fight in a land of belching furnaces, clockwork marvels, and ancient evils. Visit City of Steam on Facebook for screenshots, dev diaries, and news updates!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Cool. I'll put the rest of my thoughts on the official forum. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    The Unity engine has been used in games on Android.  The advantage of using it is the same as any other game engine:  standardization and optimization.  Engines like DirectX, Unreal, and OpenGL are desinged to unite PC hardware, mostly.  Unity seems to make it easier to deploy a game to browsers without a large initial download, but sacrifices overall graphics quality and loses some immersion due to being played in a browser window.  Personally, the lack of a fullscreen feature is the reason I avoid browser games.  I don't know if Unity made it possible to make full screen viewing windows for browser games yet.
  • rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by syntax42
    The Unity engine has been used in games on Android.  The advantage of using it is the same as any other game engine:  standardization and optimization.  Engines like DirectX, Unreal, and OpenGL are desinged to unite PC hardware, mostly.  Unity seems to make it easier to deploy a game to browsers without a large initial download, but sacrifices overall graphics quality and loses some immersion due to being played in a browser window.  Personally, the lack of a fullscreen feature is the reason I avoid browser games.  I don't know if Unity made it possible to make full screen viewing windows for browser games yet.

You can play City of Steam in a full screen browser window.  No lack of immersion there!

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by syntax42

They did, you can play fullscreen in games like battlestar galactica aswell(if you want to).