Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slightly different sets of ram still work together okay?

lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

When I built this pc 2-3 years ago I purchased this set:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

On Black Friday Newegg had a deal on a similar set so I ordered them. The identical set wasn't on sale then, but of course today it was on sale for the same price. Anyways, here is the second set I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Will I have any problems using these two sets together? Should I go ahead and order the ones I already use that are on sale today and just try to resell or gift the set I ordered already?

Playing - Minecraft, 7 Days To Die, Darkfall:ROA, Path of Exile

Waiting for - 

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

It should work fine.  You absolutely need them to be the same memory standard, but they're both DDR3, so you're set there.  Mixing DDR2 and DDR3 won't work.

Other than that, you can mix DDR3 sets freely and it should work--albeit at whichever settings are "worse".  For example, if you have a 1333 MHz kit and a 1600 MHz kit, you should be able to run them together at 1333 MHz, but not necessarily at 1600 MHz.

Why are you looking to upgrade to more than 8 GB of system memory, anyway?  By the time you actually need more than 8 GB, you'll probably want DDR4.  Or maybe some successor to that.

• lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

Multiboxing Diablo 3 with a few other programs running including streaming on Twitch. With 8gigs I am frequently hitting 90%+ on task manager. It was cheap and I figured better safe than sorry.

Waiting for - 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If you're routinely using 6-7 GB of physical memory for real programs (as opposed to prefetching), then have at it.  Most people don't do that, but then, most people don't multibox, either.
  • lilreap2k3lilreap2k3 Member UncommonPosts: 353

Well, thanks for the help as always Quizz. I guess I will just stick with what I ordered.

Waiting for -