Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] RaiderZ: Review In Progress - Part 3

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We continue our series of articles about RaiderZ that will culminate with our final and official MMORPG.com review. This week, we examine the cash shop and RaiderZ's end game. See what we have to say and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

Free-to-play titles will always have a cash shop; I don't think I have ever come across one which does not. Whether the cash shop is imperative or not, is down to the publisher. A memorable moment, for me, where a cash shop was essential to progressing through the game was, Allods Online. A game which I'm sure many people will agree enraged a lot of us.

Read more of George Dimmock's RaiderZ: Review In Progress - Part 3.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301

1st...

OK so I tried the beta and kinda liked the crafting and almost everything else - but stopped playing at about lvl7 so I will enjoy the game when it is out

I just reinstalled it (official launcher - removed beta one ages ago), and I cannot see/find any EU servers (only 2 US ones) - which is a bit annoying....

Will try both - let’s hope LAG is tolerable,,,

Just my 2 cents...

• cyber7chinkcyber7chink Member UncommonPosts: 61

To ignore the spam botst, you type /block <name> or /b <name>.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Shaike

1st...

OK so I tried the beta and kinda liked the crafting and almost everything else - but stopped playing at about lvl7 so I will enjoy the game when it is out

I just reinstalled it (official launcher - removed beta one ages ago), and I cannot see/find any EU servers (only 2 US ones) - which is a bit annoying....

There's actually 2 EU servers, are you sure you've got the EU one at raiderz-europe.com.

So far I'm lvl 23 and it's been fun. As I understand the EU & US version are controlled by different companies, just like many other titles. In this case, so far i've seen that the cash shop is behind in the EU version. I've a feeling the US version will get more updates etc. which bothers me.

• ShaikeShaike Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Originally posted by Dreamion
    Originally posted by Shaike

1st...

There's actually 2 EU servers, are you sure you've got the EU one at raiderz-europe.com.

So far I'm lvl 23 and it's been fun. As I understand the EU & US version are controlled by different companies, just like many other titles. In this case, so far i've seen that the cash shop is behind in the EU version. I've a feeling the US version will get more updates etc. which bothers me.

LOL ty

had no idea

but sorry - this game isn't good enough for me to reinstall it twice.

gonna remove it for now and maybe come back to it in a few month once it gets MUCH MUCH better (or not...)

Just my 2 cents...

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Grindfest and boring quest = lvl5 char, uninstall.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Spam: as others said you can block them (/block <name>). Sadly it's character-based, so if you have more alts, you have to copy the list manually under their names too (it's in your folder, blocklist.xml). But it's easier to simply create a tab with only party, guild and whisper, and switch onto that when you go to Ingen, since at higher levels you mostly just jump back for some crafting.

Eu server: same with me, I used my PWE acc and it downloaded the US client. But when I saw that in Eu it's Gameforge, I rather stayed on the US East servers :)

Cash shop: the review is right, it's not forced onto casuals. I think in most PWE games they're doing the same, you can play free (or with slight shop usage) if you are a casual, and the heavier player you are, the more spending you need. Up until you reach pay-to-win land...

I hope in the summary review you'll note the forced pvp part in the middle of the game. I had great fun up until that point, it's a pretty good game.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Eu server: same with me, I used my PWE acc and it downloaded the US client. But when I saw that in Eu it's Gameforge, I rather stayed on the US East servers :)

THIS. No matter what one thinks about PWE, gameforge is around ten times worse. 

Also what I found surprising is that even though I am playing on US server, I am NOT experiencing any lag at all. Game is just as fluid as if I was playing on gameforge's servers, which is commendable. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    I think the armor upgrade/crafting system is something that really sticks with me about this game. It makes farming make more sense. I hope other games follow this design and perfect its enjoyment. The gameplay as fun though its really not action based like Tera is. It just has bad targetting that makes u think its action based lol

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• BakoryoBakoryo Member UncommonPosts: 469

For those that doesn't know this. PWE's "official" release is always under the open-beta phase and they also said that they wouldn't wipe the characters under the open beta so just go nuts. 

Now, when it comes to latency on the us-servers. I have so far experience little to no latency issues and personally prefer the US-servers over the EU ones. 

The downside I see is that magic or ranged attacks are lock-on and not skill-based. If they change it then the game will be quite solid and much more entertaining.

The speed of the mole and the power of steel is my weapon

Originally posted by Bakoryo

For those that doesn't know this. PWE's "official" release is always under the open-beta phase and they also said that they wouldn't wipe the characters under the open beta so just go nuts. 

Now, when it comes to latency on the us-servers. I have so far experience little to no latency issues and personally prefer the US-servers over the EU ones. 

The downside I see is that magic or ranged attacks are lock-on and not skill-based. If they change it then the game will be quite solid and much more entertaining.

Official release: didn't that just happened 4 days ago? :) I mean there was a Live launch announcment, they remove the halloween stuff from the game, etc. It's live now and not open beta.

Ranged and magic are not lock-on, you can easily miss, especially a fast-moving mob. (I hated when harpys under Mt. Eda jumped all around, I missed a lot :) ). But some quick spells are definitely hard to dodge, maybe that's behind your experience.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Its Monster hunter with a legit open world.

I think its ok, sure it has the cheap korean f2p vibe to the character graphics and animation but overall i can see myself playing this on and off for a while.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Ok so far, will continue to play on and off.. Hope they can add stuff like, if you block someone name it blocks whatever char they made on that account.. The spammers are annoying..
  • rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185

wil prolly get removed, i think of the site with a heavy censor on anything negative...

This game is the definition of shit, haha.

It takes a great combat system concept and ruins it with shitty content. The game looks terrible, is not optimized, and is managed by one of the worst F2P publishers out there today.(both NA and EU)

Not to mention PWE(NA) their fake 50% sale a while back? GG at paying $60 for a mount, it was never that much. From day 1 they said it was on 50% sale but it’s a really sad attempt at scamming people into paying for junk.

I give the game a rating of “Meh” No immersion at all watsoever its a game where you kill mobs for the sake of killing mobs. The story if u even bother to read the text & listen is more painfull not to ignore. MAIET pretty much pawned this off to PWE & Frogster and they deserve it for being such pay to win/pay for fun assholes

played alpha, got to the end of Mt eda(around 30) in the closed beta and only to about 20 in the open beta before i had enuf. Guess it takes longer for some people to realize how bad the game is

hallo ~_~

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by rommello

wil prolly get removed, i think of the site with a heavy censor on anything negative...

It takes a great combat system concept and ruins it with shitty content. The game looks terrible, is not optimized, and is managed by one of the worst F2P publishers out there today.(both NA and EU)

Not to mention PWE(NA) their fake 50% sale a while back? GG at paying $60 for a mount, it was never that much. From day 1 they said it was on 50% sale but it’s a really sad attempt at scamming people into paying for junk.

I give the game a rating of “Meh” No immersion at all watsoever its a game where you kill mobs for the sake of killing mobs. The story if u even bother to read the text & listen is more painfull not to ignore. MAIET pretty much pawned this off to PWE & Frogster and they deserve it for being such pay to win/pay for fun assholes

played alpha, got to the end of Mt eda(around 30) in the closed beta and only to about 20 in the open beta before i had enuf. Guess it takes longer for some people to realize how bad the game is

Monster Hunter is considered one of the best games around and all you do is kill monsters for materials, build weapons/armor with those materials so you can kill biggers, stronger monsters for more materials.

RaiderZ is basically a mmo version of MH.

If you dont like that type of gameplay why are you playing RaiderZ? 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I've played RaiderZ to level 35 (defender) and level 34.5 (zerker).  I really enjoy the combat system, and the graphics, while not nearly as good as TERA's are quite good.  The quest system is standard for these types of games, but thats to be expected. 

Having reached level cap (35) I also found little to do.  Sure, I could endlessly grind epic dungeons, but thats never really appealed to me. 

I was REALLY disappointed that "launch" day came and went, with no new content, and no patches for many of the major "issues" the game has suffered from for months.  

One of those issues is the stuck at loading screen problem. At random (but happening more frequently after playing for awhile) you would get stuck at the loading screen, when zoning or enterting a town or dungeon. The only way out is to alt F4 out of the game. 

Thats just one of many issues that make the game difficult to play.  As it stands, I've moved on to other games. When/if they get around to adding new content and fixing some of the major problems, I may try the game again.  But for now, I can't recommend it. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • MokrestioMokrestio Member UncommonPosts: 6

You should try tera out, its an amazing game, the environment is just stunning, i have played plenty of games and tera had the best graphics and environment. Tera is doing a F2P action " you can play the game until lvl 28 F2P", just try it out you will not regret it. Just to compare them, you will see the tera battle system is great it is so smoothly compared to others. I am not a fanboy i just want you to make your review better, so you can compare to other great games, just like u are doing.

I am enjoying your review, keep on the great work !

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Spam: as others said you can block them (/block ). Sadly it's character-based, so if you have more alts, you have to copy the list manually under their names too (it's in your folder, blocklist.xml). But it's easier to simply create a tab with only party, guild and whisper, and switch onto that when you go to Ingen, since at higher levels you mostly just jump back for some crafting.

Cash shop: the review is right, it's not forced onto casuals. I think in most PWE games they're doing the same, you can play free (or with slight shop usage) if you are a casual, and the heavier player you are, the more spending you need. Up until you reach pay-to-win land...

I hope in the summary review you'll note the forced pvp part in the middle of the game. I had great fun up until that point, it's a pretty good game.

What's the pvp part in the middle of the game?  I haven't got there yet.

Mount Edna. Its two faction. Ogre vs Troll (which are the NPC sides).  Its the usual gankfest that one expects from these types of games.   There is also an epic version (higher level).  Fortunately, thats pretty much it.  Unfortunately, the main quest line leads right into the middle of the warzone.  That area tends to be camped pretty badly. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

What's the pvp part in the middle of the game?  I haven't got there yet.

Just as Wraithone wrote. And I need to correct myself (as they always correct me on the official forum :) ) it's not a 'forced pvp' by the letter.

The game has a very strict questline (with 1-2 side quests at a time occasionally), if you don't finish a quest you can't take the next one. At level22ish your questline takes you into Mt. Eda's warzone, which is an open pvp area. You get a side quest to kill 3 other players, but you can skip that one (that's why it's not forced pvp by the letter, according to pvp'ers on RaiderZ forum...). But you have to questing inside the warzone until about level25.

Here's the catch: in the game you craft your stuff from loot drops. Killed players have a unique drop, which is needed to craft some cool stuff. It's dropped only from PK, so with it they make PK'ing is a desirable thing to do. And since players are lazy and like to farm, you have the perfect setting for ganking... :I  Without any warning, might I add.

You walk into Mt. Eda, after 22 levels of pve, searching for your quest destination. You find it. There are a few higher level dudes next to it. They one-shot you. "Thx, see you next time n00b". And they're right, you will go again, since you HAVE to, or else you cannot advance your quest, meaning you're stuck. But it's not forced pvp, according to them.

What makes it even more pointless is that after you finish the last quest in there, the game hops back onto the pve-train, and stays there until level cap. So basically you have a stictly pve game from 1 to 35, with a few levels of mandatory gankfest in the middle. It doesn't make any sense :) they must have a very lame game designer.

Edit: another correction, apparently Soul Stones are not unique, killed player drops, it's 'only' the easiest way to get them... my bad :) so not all the gankers are farming on low level players, some of them just a regular pvp jerk who does it only for fun :)

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by rommello

Monster Hunter is considered one of the best games around and all you do is kill monsters for materials, build weapons/armor with those materials so you can kill biggers, stronger monsters for more materials.

RaiderZ is basically a mmo version of MH.

If you dont like that type of gameplay why are you playing RaiderZ? 

im not ~_~

hallo ~_~

• spoononespoonone Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by Nightkin

Can ask you which MMO has no grind and filled fun quests?

• sofakingdumbsofakingdumb Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by spoonone
    Originally posted by Nightkin

Can ask you which MMO has no grind and filled fun quests?

WOW