Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marriage in MMORPGs...do we really need it?

2»

Comments

• DesperadoDesperado Member Posts: 467

Originally posted by Clever_Glove

Originally posted by hercules
    From a  role playing sense it adds colour to the game.

And apparently allot of raids..

LMAO-

"And do you Mr. Groom take Ms. Bride to..."

[psshhh]Odin's Rath Flame Spell[/ssssh-pow]

"OMG!!  Mr. Groom is on fire! Mr. Groom is on fire!  For the love of god someone put Mr. Groom out!!"

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

"A good man knows his limits, a Great man knows he has none...."

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Depends online weddings in MMORPG have always been about roleplaying and was never intended to be a dating service.

For instance in my old EQ guild a dark elf woman married a high elf man.A GM came and we had this wonderful ceremony and they had matching rings and all.

There was this long speech how the dark elves and the high elves can see how peace between them is possible with this union and love.

Now this is all roleplaying and pretty much fun.

For those that attended and did not know this couple as much as us who helped make the guild(they were original members too) they might have thought this folks will chat online and meet up and blah blah.

In real life we knew this 2 sit side by side in a room and are brothers.

Thats right they are brothers .

They one day had a crazy idea that they should get married ingame and we thought it was funny  and we arranged the wedding for them.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

hehehehe...

I've done that before,  play a MMORPG right new to another person... it's fun doing that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
  • RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

Originally posted by Djin
    hehehehe...
    I've done that before,  play a MMORPG right new to another person... it's fun doing that.-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

It's better when you're all sitting in a room (like at uni) and you Pk one of your (*cough*) buddies. The gentle hum of the Pc's and the playstation extreme concentration on all of the brows of the spods in the lab is disturbed by someone standing up and screaming slanderous remarks about your birthright!

Ah! The blood!

As much as I like the comfort of playing MMOG's at home, I kinda miss those 24 hour sessions at uni with a big group of people. It's the whole community thing and it adds a whole dimension to the game when a lot of the players are all sitting in the same room as you.

Now all of my friends work and have their own pads and Pc's, we're all too goddamn lazy to arrange LAN sessions.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

This is a phenomenon I never really understood. (and I pray I never do)If planning a fake wedding, saying vows to someone you don't really know, eating fake food, getting fake drunk, picking up fake brides maids, and catching a make believe bouquet.... is what floats your boat then more power to you. I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a rusty ice pick than attend one of these. -=-=-=-=-
    A game is only late untill it's released, but it's bad forever.
    A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here

i think u take it a bit too seriously. its just for fun, at leats i hope most of them are ::=^~::.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

Hmm, I just dont see it being all that disturbing when its done for fun.  Playing a warrior with a fake sword running around fake slaughtering people or fake summoning evil undead to kill for you, doesnt seem a lot more normal or understandable to playing out a fake wedding.

mostly its just an excuse to get every1 together in a guild or something.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Originally posted by Misti

Hmm, I just don't see it being all that disturbing when its done for fun.  Playing a warrior with a fake sword running around fake slaughtering people or fake summoning evil undead to kill for you, doesn't seem a lot more normal or understandable to playing out a fake wedding.

Or leaving to messages to fake people I suppose?

I take my game time very seriously. I work hard during the day, I come home and except to play hard. (or at least for a really long time.)

If you look at my sig, and read the essay it would be apparent why I think this way. I'm achiever, I favor achievement over all else. Anything that does not lead to the achievement of a goal is a waste of my time.

If you want a reason to get the guild together why not kill something... say a dragon... or the rather council. (you'll need some alone time after that)

Yes, I know not everyone is like me. I fully aware that other reasons motivate other people to play a game. But I don't speak for them, I speak for myself. And I say "I'd rather shove a rusty ice pick in my eye than attend a in game wedding" unless of course it's PvP, then I'd say "Kill'em all"

-=-=-=-=-
    A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

i think the problem is then u take ur game too seriously... i mean, its a game. meaning not real. have some fun!

- Unknown Author

I take having fun seriously, and have serious fun.

A counter point: might be that you don't take the game seriously enough.  Maybe if you were more serious you might achieve more, and have more fun doing things.

That's the great thing about MMORPG's, all personably types can generally find something they enjoy doing.

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

thats y i play sims online :::^D::. sure it maybe be a chat room with a monthly fee, but something about the avatars makes it a helluvalot more fun. and if u have a good imagination u can do almost anything with ur house. by having fun u accomplish more! heh :::^D::

- Unknown Author

I'm truly happy for you

-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-

good, u should be! :::^D::

- Unknown Author

• GlamderingGlamdering Member Posts: 56
    it's not needed, but its also not NOT needed (well, a confusing way of saying needed) it's up to the game makers, but it does spice of the roleplay quality, and makes the game more interesting

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

I take having fun seriously, and have serious fun.

A counter point: might be that you don't take the game seriously enough.  Maybe if you were more serious you might achieve more, and have more fun doing things.

That's the great thing about MMORPG's, all personably types can generally find something they enjoy doing.

Completely agree, Clever_Glove. I knew a number of players on my old EQ server who were all terribly competitive and shared your perspective. All in top running guilds exploring high end content and their motivation was challenging themselves (and the competition) to do server firsts. They were playing the meta-game i.e. taking one look over their shoulder at the guilds running behind them and also another peek at the other top running guilds on other servers like Afterlife and Triton.

The meta-game never appealed to me - I'm not that sort of player. Yet EQ catered quite happily for a whole range of playing styles (except out and out PK - dedicated PK server such as Rallos Zek).

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"she's like this cleavagey, slut-bomb walking around going 'oh, check me out. i'm wicked cool. i'm five by five'."

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."