Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NASA verifying 'exciting' data from Mars Curiosity rover

PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

NASA:  "THIS DATA IS GONNA BE ONE FOR THE HISTORY BOOKS."

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/20/165513016/big-news-from-mars-rover-scientists-mum-for-now

Lets hope its something really interesting. :)

Comments

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

I was in the control room when they received the images from the rover.  This is what we saw.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Man I absolutely hate it when they do that! "We have some big news that will shake the foundations of science! ... but we've decided not to tell anyone yet." My question to them is... "Why the f*ck say anything at all? Just keep your fricken mouth shut and tell us when you can!" I rate this right up there with Breaking News cutting into your favorite television show to tell you they have no information on the subject yet. What's the point?

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    To be fair Bren, NASA would have been expected to release data on those soil sample right off the bat. Staying mum entirely would have implied something was technically wrong, and the last thing NASA needs right now is more bad publicity concerning the reliability of their work.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Aelfinn
    To be fair Bren, NASA would have been expected to release data on those soil sample right off the bat. Staying mum entirely would have implied something was technically wrong, and the last thing NASA needs right now is more bad publicity concerning the reliability of their work.

They should have kept the whole sampling procedure quiet until they knew what they had in my opinion. No one would be questioning samples they knew nothing about if they had of kept their mouths shut. It's not 1969 and a lander scooping up some sand on another planet isn't exactly breaking news any more. It's what's in the sand that is the breaking news these days so they should just keep quiet until they know what they have.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }