Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO/s with the "best" player housing

CelerionCelerion Member Posts: 30

In your opinion, what MMOs have the best customizable player housing?   Please make note if the games are Free to Play as well as tell me what your favorite things about the games are.

Thanks much

Celerion
Contact me on Twitter @IAMCelerion and chat.

Comments

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Used to be SWG, now its EQ2.    SOE is pretty good with housing.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    If we are talking about current mmo and not dead ones then i would say Vanguard and EQ2.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Though it's instanced, I'm not sure anything else comes close to what's possible with housing in EQ2.  The depth and breadth of their housing system is pretty amazing.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    I'm going to say out of active games it's probably between EQ 2 and Vanguard , 

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Both EQ2 and Vanguard have gone limited f2p, btw, and housing isn't just for subscribers.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Of the current games, EQ2 followed by Rift (which is heavily based on EQ2)

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Nope EQ2 and Vanguard followed by rift and lotro.

• CelerionCelerion Member Posts: 30
    Are any of these FTP?  On a college budget but would consider buying the disc if it is a good game.  Just not much for the Sub based games with how saturated the market is.

Celerion
    Contact me on Twitter @IAMCelerion and chat.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

SWG wins for all time award. EQ2 and Vanguard are my next two.

SWG:

-Player built houses

-placed in the landscape by the player

-All items in game had a 3d representation that could be placed in the house (resource mats had a graphic, weapons had a graphic, crafted items to include furniture).

-Items placed in the house could be rotated, flipped, and placed with precise measurement.

-NPC vendors could be customized and placed in your house to sell for you.

-Houses used a lot system, alowing players to have more than one house as smaller houses used less lots. You could have one for storage, one decorated as a home, etc.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• AegrusAegrus Member UncommonPosts: 34

Still UO as it's NOT instanced, otherwise i would go for Rift. 

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Agreed.

As for Rift being based on EQ2, I think you're right. The usual mantra around here is "Rift is a WoW clone", but it really feels more like an EQ2 clone to me.

Optional PvP = No PvP
    Originally posted by Mystic3333
    Are any of these FTP?  On a college budget but would consider buying the disc if it is a good game.  Just not much for the Sub based games with how saturated the market is.

Yup, but housing isn't part of the f2p package in EQ2 or Vanguard or RIFT.

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Member Posts: 226

Well for all time i guess i would say UO. But current I would say Wurm online. I Have played EQ2 and instanced just blows. SWG was also pretty decent. Another dead game that had good housing was Irth Online.

But to this day no game can really touch Wurm online for crafting. Xyson tried but fell short.

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Xsyon - Build anywhere any way you like!
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Please remove LotRo when it comes to 'good' housing. I think the system sucks balls with the fixed spots for certain items...

Haven't seen RIFT housing (only the video), but judging from it I think the other 3 are very well done and not sure if there's a real order in them ;)

Also worth to mention that Wildstar will have player housing from the start and the promo movie that has been shown is promising. Though it seems a bit limited (squares to drop items on, much like as with THE SIMS), I think (hope) it'll give the players a lot of freedom of that's possible to add to the house

Originally posted by ignore_me

SWG wins for all time award. EQ2 and Vanguard are my next two.

SWG:

-Player built houses

-placed in the landscape by the player

-All items in game had a 3d representation that could be placed in the house (resource mats had a graphic, weapons had a graphic, crafted items to include furniture).

-Items placed in the house could be rotated, flipped, and placed with precise measurement.

-NPC vendors could be customized and placed in your house to sell for you.

-Houses used a lot system, alowing players to have more than one house as smaller houses used less lots. You could have one for storage, one decorated as a home, etc.

Even with all items in game being placeable in SWG, it stll cant top what you can do with EQ2's system.  EQ2 just has so much more items designed specifically with housing in mind, with much bigger...sandboxes...to play with.  EQ2 did add a sort of compromise for weapon/armor display with mannequins, you can show off any weapon or armor piece you want with them, but it would be nice to put a collection of weapons in a rack.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Mystic3333

Salem could be worth a look for f2p when it gets released(should be soon).

Originally posted by grimgryphon

Agreed.

As for Rift being based on EQ2, I think you're right. The usual mantra around here is "Rift is a WoW clone", but it really feels more like an EQ2 clone to me.

At launch it was more or less a WoW clone (the big EQ2 influence was the artifacts)

But yes, since launch EQ2 is where they have had the most influence from (mentoring for instance based off EQ2s system which you would think would be standard for all games by now)

Funny thing is Storm Legion actually has SWTOR touches.  I actually tried SWTOR again wth f2p for about 15 minutes last week for s&g, and one of the very first quests you do as a Jedi Knight is from a structure found in an environment where yoou have to go to 5 or 6 similar structures...this sort of thing is all over SL, in addition the carnage quests are kill 20 mob quests in a different package, much like the bonus quests in SWTOR.  I dont think the similarities are a coincidence 

Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Please remove LotRo when it comes to 'good' housing. I think the system sucks balls with the fixed spots for certain items...

Haven't seen RIFT housing (only the video), but judging from it I think the other 3 are very well done and not sure if there's a real order in them ;)

Also worth to mention that Wildstar will have player housing from the start and the promo movie that has been shown is promising. Though it seems a bit limited (squares to drop items on, much like as with THE SIMS), I think (hope) it'll give the players a lot of freedom of that's possible to add to the house

Vanguard and EQ2 rule.

Vanguard is non instanced and everything is player made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5lXH4PIxww

EQ2 is epic as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmYrUAWdudY

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    hands down, bottom line:  SWG you could basicaly put your house of any type anywhere on a planet except in the main cities and so on.  And to be able to put anything you want inside your houses as well.
  • Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121
    Ultima online
    Originally posted by Vlhad7734
    hands down, bottom line:  SWG you could basicaly put your house of any type anywhere on a planet except in the main cities and so on.  And to be able to put anything you want inside your houses as well.

But he can't play that game lol, read the title.

• LarsjexLarsjex Member Posts: 11

Ultima Online, though old, is still the best when it comes to housing. Nothing i've ever tried has even come close to the customizeable homes you have there.

You can build it any way you like, tile by tile and put anything in it, from anywhere in the game world, on the ground or on tables or wherever you want to put it.

Ultima Online remains, in my opionion to this day, the only game capable of true roleplay in a computer game and their housing system is part of it.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

The things that make the EQ2 system the nicest in my opinion are:

• well integrated into crafting, adventuring, and the rest of the game.

This is often taken for granted, and a video posted earlier shows this in action.

The quests that give housing items as a reward are numerous, and the heritage quest rewards are all able to be mounted in your home (heritage quests are longer quest chains that usually have a dozen or so steps involving lots of different locations and dungeons and reward a classic eq1 item such as Journeyman's Boots).  The video shows an entire room full of these rewards.

In addition, EQ2 has lots of different factions (EQ2 faction grinds are generally not bad and many are done simply by leveling through a zone) that offer furniture for sale.  Housing items are everywhere in EQ2.

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

The things that make the EQ2 system the nicest in my opinion are:

• well integrated into crafting, adventuring, and the rest of the game.

This is often taken for granted, and a video posted earlier shows this in action.

The quests that give housing items as a reward are numerous, and the heritage quest rewards are all able to be mounted in your home (heritage quests are longer quest chains that usually have a dozen or so steps involving lots of different locations and dungeons and reward a classic eq1 item such as Journeyman's Boots).  The video shows an entire room full of these rewards.

In addition, EQ2 has lots of different factions (EQ2 faction grinds are generally not bad and many are done simply by leveling through a zone) that offer furniture for sale.  Housing items are everywhere in EQ2.

Plus- you can also decorate your own dungeons if you have the expansions (LOVE IT).  AION has free housing, with no sub cost either.