Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Game is a MMO.

Comments

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

And i also see 'best of all possible worlds' there. I am glad someone is finally refusing to be confined by rigid definitions which keep changing with every new MMO release. 

SC is not just a MMO but taking best part of all the genre.

Did you read what the FAQ states?   

They are just taking the parts that they feel are the best.   They stated a persistent world, but that can be applied to anything that doesn't disappear after you login.   One could argue that adding a lobby to D3 is enough to call it a persistent world, and I am pretty sure that is about as far as Star Citizen is going to go into the MMO realm.  

Well you are half glass empty kind of guy aren't ya? they said presistent world and you automatically assume it will be like D3 lobby. Even though in videos and interviews the lead dev repeatedly said that they are goign to make a huge open world for players.

Why not wait and see?

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    I know this is hard to believe but to a lot of the gaming world a game beng an MMO is actually a negative thing, I believe the Devs are quick to point out that DONT WORRY this isnt an MMO like those weird kids play, this is the spirtual sucessor of Wing  Commander with multiplayer.
  • SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

Originally posted by Brenelael
    Nowhere... I repeat, NOWHERE does it officially state "Massively Multiplayer" in respect to the public servers. This is only stated on a fan updated Wiki so it hardly counts as true. In fact all of the links you provide were created by fans and not the dev team themselves. I don't even think they know at this point how many people will be on a single shard as they haven't even built that part of the game yet. It does however very clearly state the following: Is Star Citizen an MMO? No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series. The game will include the option for private servers, like Freelancer, and will offer plenty of opportunities for players who are interested in modding the content. Unlike many games, none of these aspects is an afterthought: they all combine to form the core of the Star Citizen experience.   While a persistent world is a feature common in MMOs it is hardly the only feature that defines the genre. There are many games that are not even remotely considered MMOs that have multiplayer persistent world servers. Give it a rest already.   Bren

That answers it doesn't it?  it will be  a single player campaign, an MMO, persistent world all rolled into one. So it will be a MMO and much more. How hard is to understand that? Developers of SW don't want to confie themselves into any rigid definition of MMOS.

So yeah take your own advice and give it a rest.

No...it will not be an MMO.., ever heard of single player games with multiplayer option before? And how many MMOs do you know of which you can rent and host private servers? This game should be really good but the game is no an MMO, they even state this on their FAQ page. Also they are going to allow heavy modding for your servers...how is that possible for an MMO?

Not trying to argue but when the company making the game says its not an MMO but has MMO elements...its pretty hard to win a debate on if it is or is not an MMO.
    Originally posted by fascism

this is the spirtual sucessor of Wing  Commander with multiplayer.

I can agree with this and it should be alot of fun, but it is not an MMO.

Originally posted by thinktank001
    Originally posted by Whitebeards And i also see 'best of all possible worlds' there. I am glad someone is finally refusing to be confined by rigid definitions which keep changing with every new MMO release.  SC is not just a MMO but taking best part of all the genre.

Did you read what the FAQ states?   

They are just taking the parts that they feel are the best.   They stated a persistent world, but that can be applied to anything that doesn't disappear after you login.   One could argue that adding a lobby to D3 is enough to call it a persistent world, and I am pretty sure that is about as far as Star Citizen is going to go into the MMO realm.  

Well you are half glass empty kind of guy aren't ya? they said presistent world and you automatically assume it will be like D3 lobby. Even though in videos and interviews the lead dev repeatedly said that they are goign to make a huge open world for players.

Why not wait and see?

Warz has a persistent world and tons of servers, will be able to rent them once they go live, Dayz already can rent them and i do not consider either of those games to be MMO, Once you can host a private server and as SC has stated heavily mod the game...its not an MMO.

BTW i played Wing commander games on 486's hell maybe even 386 been so long i cant remember, but i loved those games and ill be playing SC, not a hater but from all ive read this cannot be put into the MMO category.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Was actualyl excited about this untill i saw it was basically a wing commander type flight game with offline single player, and the option of small multiplayer.

This is no mmorpg, its no MMO and its certainly no RPG.

Glad the games raised a good chunk of money, however, as per the trend on this site...theyve continued to junk up their list with anything they possibly can despite not being related to the website.

WTB a MMORPG.com not a MOG browser/flightsim/moba website.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

this discussion is incredibly idiotic.

We know there is a persistent universe.

We know encounters as you travel along jumpgates or planet orbits will take place in seamless instances hosting up to 100+ ship battles.

We know the galaxy server will host all players in single server architecture.

We know player encounters will be sorted to their preference with a PvP-PvE slider bar.

We know the dangerous outer areas will be lawless with PvP always on.

We know combat will NOT be oldschool passive dice rolling MMO combat, but action packed Flight Sim combat.

The better part of the game is massive multiplayer with Privateer like gameplay, the single player campaign resembles Wing Commander gameplay.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

double post

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Why are we debating a game that was stated by its own creators to be a singleplayer game with a multiplayer option?

I actually dont see what all the hype about this game is.  Its neither MMO nor is it an RPG.  This site is really getting that desperate for traffic where were not only breaking the RPG aspect but now the MMO?

Whats next assasins creed on the site?  That tennis game for the wii (its multiplayer right?)?

WHY IS THERE NO OPTION TO FILTER THE GAMES TO SEE ONLY CLIENT BASED MMORPGS ON THIS SITE?

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Crunchy222

Why are we debating a game that was stated by its own creators to be a singleplayer game with a multiplayer option?

I actually dont see what all the hype about this game is.  Its neither MMO nor is it an RPG.  This site is really getting that desperate for traffic where were not only breaking the RPG aspect but now the MMO?

Whats next assasins creed on the site?  That tennis game for the wii (its multiplayer right?)?

WHY IS THERE NO OPTION TO FILTER THE GAMES TO SEE ONLY CLIENT BASED MMORPGS ON THIS SITE?

There is more RP on the present Freelancer servers than there is in most of the actual MMOs out there at the moment. And Star Citizen will take it further. You are underestimating what mad modders can do.

What if I told you that the most populated Freelancer server offers you this already?

- So many different factions that I can't really count them. 40? probably more. Most of them interconnected.

- Full loot open world PVP

- Player constructable / destroyable bases. Actually persistent world.

- Player factions not related to any NPC faction.

- Player actions altering the world's story.

And the game is well over a decade old.

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by william0532
    How many is massive, and whats the number associated with multiplayer. Until there is an absolute value placed on these terms, there is no argument.

Uhh, Multiplayer is 2 or more. There is no mystery about that word. You can look at video games over the last 30 years and if it supports more than one player, its labeled with multiplayer.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by FromHell

We know encounters as you travel along jumpgates or planet orbits will take place in seamless instances hosting up to 100+ ship battles.

Care to share a link to this which we "Know"? Last time Chris Roberts was asked about this directly he stated very clearly that he had "No intention of supporting masses of players in any one area". As far as I know the instances will have a cap on how many players will be allowed in and it's nowhere near 100+.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Originally posted by Ichmen
    ~flip table and walk out..~

lol, epic way to end a post.

• NobadeeftwNobadeeftw Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by KnaveSkye
    How many is massive, and whats the number associated with multiplayer. Until there is an absolute value placed on these terms, there is no argument.

Uhh, Multiplayer is 2 or more. There is no mystery about that word. You can look at video games over the last 30 years and if it supports more than one player, its labeled with multiplayer.

The person was actually more interested in defining the meaning of Massive in Massive Multiplayer.  Of course multiplayer is two or more people, that was a pointless response.  To answer William, massive to me is defined by the size of the gaming environment.  Some games can only handle a dozen or so people in the world at a time; while others can maintain thousands of users simotaneously.  I like to think that the larger games represent the word massive in massive multiplayer more than a game that can only handly a few people at a time.

Like many here I was baffled when this site decided that Diablo III was an MMORPG.  Sure, it has multiplayer in it; but, so does Call of Duty and any other FPS, that doesn't make their worlds MASSIVELY populated with people.  I consider it disingenuous to mislabel a product.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

ffs whats with these Star Citizen fanatics that must daily echo their holy belief that this game is a MMO?

What if it isn't?

Will your day gets worse? Will you cat suicides? Will your god die?

Now calm your tits and just wait for the goddamn game

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by dinams

ffs whats with these Star Citizen fanatics that must daily echo their holy belief that this game is a MMO?

if games like LoL can be on here as a mmo then so can SC. If Diable 3 can be on here so can SC. I guess you get where I'm going right?

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Weretigar

if games like LoL can be on here as a mmo then so can SC. If Diable 3 can be on here so can SC. I guess you get where I'm going right?

But you never saw anyone preaching that LoL or Diablo 3 is a mmo

Only these annoying Star Citizen-tards

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

But you never saw anyone preaching that LoL or SC or Diablo 3 is a mmo

Lol, I guess its more of a hope thing.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Weretigar

But you never saw anyone preaching that LoL or Diablo 3 is a mmo

I think you'll find that it's because Star Citizen falls more into a the grey area inbetween what we define as Massively Multiplayer and what is just simply Multiplayer. This is because it's an entirely different setup they are proposing than anything that has come before. In the case of Star Citizen it's because the persistant world server will only be one server. This is why most people mistakenly define this as a MMO. Although there will only be one visible server the actual gameplay will take place in many smaller instances with a limited player cap.

In the case of Star Citizen the server itself will match players on what equipment they have, where they have their PVP slider set at and whether another player is on your friend list or tagged as a person of interest seemlessly behind the scenes. This will give the illusion of a very MMO like experience but what it will actually be is a limited multiplayer game with the global chat server being the lobby for match making. It will probably seem very MMO like but in actuallity it will be a cleverly disguised lobby match making multiplayer arena type game. Each instance will be a multiplayer arena that will be tied together by the server's match making system. All this game really is missing to be officially a MMO is areas where masses of players can all be in the same place at once but as it's described now even planets and stations will be these much smaller arena instances.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by Nobadeeftw
    Originally posted by KnaveSkye

The person was actually more interested in defining the meaning of Massive in Massive Multiplayer.  Of course multiplayer is two or more people, that was a pointless response.  To answer William, massive to me is defined by the size of the gaming environment.  Some games can only handle a dozen or so people in the world at a time; while others can maintain thousands of users simotaneously.  I like to think that the larger games represent the word massive in massive multiplayer more than a game that can only handly a few people at a time.

Like many here I was baffled when this site decided that Diablo III was an MMORPG.  Sure, it has multiplayer in it; but, so does Call of Duty and any other FPS, that doesn't make their worlds MASSIVELY populated with people.  I consider it disingenuous to mislabel a product.

Massive by definition is not a number, but can be used to describe quantity. So, by saying "How many is massive, and what’s the number associated with multiplayer" these become two separate ideas. How many is massive? What’s the number associated with multiplayer? Had the question been "How many is considered massive in a multiplayer game" then you would be correct.  Also, by using a ", and" he was making two separate statements in one sentence. You may choose to have faith in the intelligence and knowledge of others, as is anyone’s right to do....I simply answered part of the question asked. The whole thread is rather pointless since the people making the game have flat out stated "This is not a MMO". 

• CeloniusCelonius Member Posts: 13

I think that is not very difficult to understand.

Is a MMO? Yes, an instanceed MMO. An MMO could be an MMO even if it is instanced. The persistent world persist like in another MMO with massive players playining on it and having actions that affect it.

In my opinion you should read more than the first two letters.

No! Star Citizen will take the best of all possible worlds, ranging from a permanent, persistent world similar to those found in MMOs to an offline, single player campaign like those found in the Wing Commander series.

What it says here

Is only a MMO? No, is more than that. We have a good SP, MP-COOP, Private Servers...

Is not only an MMO but of course it have the MMO part, an instanced MMO, but still be a MMO.

If we make and analogy is like. You only have legs? No, I have more than legs, I have arms, head, eyes... But of course, I still have legs xd.

Why Chris say that? Because Chris does not want to close futures players saying that is only a MMO because he knows how are the brand of this games actually. I have a friend that hates MMO but love SP Space Sim, if he reads that this game will be an MMO hi are not going to play it.

For that, Chris prefers to say that is more than an MMO in order to catch all the future players posible.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    MMO   not MMO   I still cant wait to play it  :)    Even from a non mMO stand point good space sims are few and far between.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• CeloniusCelonius Member Posts: 13

Please people, read the dev and watch this video where Chris show us their vision.

Star Citizen is not going to be another Wing Commander with MP, if you want that you will have Squadron 42, a SP campaign with MP mode. Star Citizen will be the persisten world. In 2:00 speaks that.

• DeelgarianDeelgarian Member Posts: 7

It's an issue of semantics.   I think what Chris is trying to avoid is the "stigma" of what people perceive as current MMOs, and the issues they have with them.   But when it comes down to it, you can't deny the simplicity of the terms and which term applies to Star Citizen.

MMORPG -- Massively Multplayer Online Role Playing Game.    Is it an RPG?  Not in the classic sense of the way RPGs are defined, where you had to make choices on character class, skills, all complete with a leveling/progression mechanic.  ANSWER:  No, not exactly.

MMO -- Massively Multiplayer Online game.    Is SC massively multiplayer, and is it online?   Yes.  And while it does have a single-player mode, it has an online persistent world where we will all be able to interact.  And not just 16 players at a time, but in the hundreds.   ANSWER:  Yes.

Space Marshall Deelgarian Voidwatcher, Star Citizen
    http://www.sc-rogues.com | RSI Forums Thread | RSI Forum Group

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

The game is an MMO just like minecraft.

Nevermind anything like logic or definitions.