Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I didn't give them a dime...

MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I've backed all kinds of games on Kickstarter, and I seriously have considered donating to this one, but I'm not sure where this game is going.  

The concept as I understand it now looks like this:

1) There is a single player game/aspect.

2) There is an online game/aspect which includes servers hosted by the game company and private servers hosted by individuals.

It's not an MMO, so there will be a cap to the number of players per server, I would assume. I'd like to know more about that.

I've read that the private servers will be customizeable to some extent.  Does this mean just the "rules" like many FPS games, or does it mean you will actually be able to design your own system or systems on the server? (which would kick ass, BTW)

I don't know.  I never played Freelancer, so I don't know much about that, but I would like to know more about the server structure.  Is this basically just going to play like a persistent-map flight/ground FPS game?  Does anyone know more about what they are planning to do here?

For the record, I'm all for expanding the definition of "MMO" to include new designs such as Day Z.  I'm just trying to get a model for this game in my head before I decide it's worth contributing to.

WISHES:

I was brainstorming around the idea of this not really being an MMO, but also including private servers.  If people could design their own 'systems' on servers, and then have them all link back to the client, it would be much more interesting than just having a bunch of private server rulesets out there.  Think of visiting a Star Port and then heading off to some other system (private server) but remaining in the context of the gameplay at all times.  Just a thought.

DMMO (Distributed MMO) ?  ;)

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Completely off-topic side note: I always imagined that this is how "cyberspace" would work in context of the 3D internet.  Each node would be its own 3D space no matter how big or small, but using a standard set of rules for visitors.  I always thought client similar to a game client would be much better equipped for this than would 3D browser plugins.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

On private servers you can create and mod them which in turn means that you can do whatever you really want. Make rules, make space stations, make new ship or systems. That's why modding is so darn amazing

In Freelancer, the community made large mods that had a lot of jump holes and systems added as well as all kinds of different ships. I don't expect anything less from Star Citizen

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

Originally posted by Magter

On private servers you can create and mod them which in turn means that you can do whatever you really want. Make rules, make space stations, make new ship or systems. That's why modding is so darn amazing

In Freelancer, the community made large mods that had a lot of jump holes and systems added as well as all kinds of different ships. I don't expect anything less from Star Citizen

Thanks for the info.  I would help if I knew anything about Freelancer...

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Completely off-topic side note: I always imagined that this is how "cyberspace" would work in context of the 3D internet.  Each node would be its own 3D space no matter how big or small, but using a standard set of rules for visitors.  I always thought client similar to a game client would be much better equipped for this than would 3D browser plugins.

Back when the internet was much "smaller", there were those that tried something like what you're talking about in relation to the "World Wide Web".   It never got any legs under it at the time.  That's not to say something like that wouldn't work today.  There are exponentially more people on the web these days.  Back then the internet and www were almost separate entities layed on top of each other.  Was a very different time and a very different beast.

Hell, I still have an actual "Map of the Internet" that came in a PC magazine back when it was small enough to map.

Anyway, useless facts for those interested.  Regarding this game, I'm curious about the same things.  I played Wing Commander and Freelancer.  They were most excellent games.  From what I've seen of this, the graphics have greatly improved ;).   I would like to know the exact structure of what they are trying to accomplish though.

Originally posted by Acidon

Back when the internet was much "smaller", there were those that tried something like what you're talking about in relation to the "World Wide Web".   It never got any legs under it at the time.  That's not to say something like that wouldn't work today.  There are exponentially more people on the web these days.  Back then the internet and www were almost separate entities layed on top of each other.  Was a very different time and a very different beast.

Hell, I still have an actual "Map of the Internet" that came in a PC magazine back when it was small enough to map.

Anyway, useless facts for those interested.  Regarding this game, I'm curious about the same things.  I played Wing Commander and Freelancer.  They were most excellent games.  From what I've seen of this, the graphics have greatly improved ;).   I would like to know the exact structure of what they are trying to accomplish though.

I know, I was there.  I've been building websites since 1992 (and was a BBS kid before that) and  I remember when you could actually keep track of when companies put up new websites ;)  However, VRML was still a crappy browser/plug in.  We certainly have the 3D tech to do it now.  Google has some 3D tech, but they aren't driving it yet.  It's mostly just experimental like VRML always was. 

Last I checked there is momentum picking up for it again with companies like Intel chiming in.  

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796

I know, I was there.  I've been building websites since 1992 (and was a BBS kid before that) and  I remember when you could actually keep track of when companies put up new websites ;)  However, VRML was still a crappy browser/plug in.  We certainly have the 3D tech to do it now.  Google has some 3D tech, but they aren't driving it yet.  It's mostly just experimental like VRML always was. 

Last I checked there is momentum picking up for it again with companies like Intel chiming in.  

I wouldn't doubt that a bit.  With smart phones and tablets getting more and more powerful, I think the final obstacle will be down soon.  That's the only thing I can see that they could have been waiting on.  I personally don't keep up with things like that anymore, but I can see the logic in it.

I, too, was a BBS guy.  I was 17 when I ran my own 2-line BBS.  Door games like L.O.R.D. and Tradewars 2000 were the thing back then.  I ran Telegard and then hacked versions of Renegade.  Sometimes I really, really, miss DOS.

Anyway, I may look into what you're talking about sometime.  Or I may not.  Those days are pretty much over for me.  I know HTML 4.0 and such like the back of my hand, but all of the new tech is currently beyond me and I haven't had the inclination to do anything about.  My big Website days ended around 99/00 personally.  There was a bit of a crash then if you remember, and the 'Net was then on a different path.  

Maybe I'll feel like getting back into it someday, but I doubt it.  I figure that I had my time.  These days I just like me a decent MMO.   Geez I feel old now.  Thanks.

I wouldn't doubt that a bit.  With smart phones and tablets getting more and more powerful, I think the final obstacle will be down soon.  That's the only thing I can see that they could have been waiting on.  I personally don't keep up with things like that anymore, but I can see the logic in it.

I, too, was a BBS guy.  I was 17 when I ran my own 2-line BBS.  Door games like L.O.R.D. and Tradewars 2000 were the thing back then.  I ran Telegard and then hacked versions of Renegade.  Sometimes I really, really, miss DOS.

Anyway, I may look into what you're talking about sometime.  Or I may not.  Those days are pretty much over for me.  I know HTML 4.0 and such like the back of my hand, but all of the new tech is currently beyond me and I haven't had the inclination to do anything about.  My big Website days ended around 99/00 personally.  There was a bit of a crash then if you remember, and the 'Net was then on a different path.  

Maybe I'll feel like getting back into it someday, but I doubt it.  I figure that I had my time.  These days I just like me a decent MMO.   Geez I feel old now.  Thanks.

Never too old man.  Imagine what fun you could have with your own 3D space and tools that made it easy?  I played around a little in SecondLife building stuff in the past, and I loved creating environments for people to visit and hang out in. I didn't spend much time in SL, except to build and script stuff. 

I think you are right about the hardware obstacle.  We are finally getting decent 3D built into the CPUs now, so even the cheapest GPU-free computers have some decent 3D ability in them with Ivy Bridge and beyond.  In a few more years it will be even better.  Still, it's time to start getting it going for those of us who already have the machines.  We need to drive it.

Ever read the book Snow Crash?  You might like it.  Great cyberpunk with some cool cyberspace tech.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

The game uses cryengine3 (current crydev sdk) and for modeling MAYA / 3DSMAX.

The current cryengine sdk includes a standalone server infrastructure.

Since we hit the 4 Million goal there is even (will) a full documentation aviable for the STAR Citizen spezifications and rules. Such as vital information on weapon mount points and riggin for specific ship parts as well as physic calculations for thrusters.

You could pledge for the documentation at 10$. (But you don't have too, most stuff is common knowledge and basics for modders).

As far as modding goes for your private server, you couldn't ask more. Planets, characters, ships. Everything (and documented). They probably will include the Crytek Sandbox editor (so non crydev people can work with it).

For the Galaxy Server (persistent - mmo like) they outlined it works like a global tracking server, once players match certain criterias they will be thrown into an "instance" of that space part they are currently in.

(As far as we understand there will be no loading screen, people just pop up in your vicinity)
    There is a cap to how many players can be in at once, none the less you can still meet all kinds of players on your travels. The universe will not be seamless it will work within the context of "maps", but not as narrow like STO, think freelancer.