Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Back to old school?

CorberCorber Member UncommonPosts: 38

So I have come to  a cross roads in my gaming life.

I purchased GW2 hoping for the next big thing however I find myself bored with the game (not that it's bad, just not for me) and am thinking about my gaming days from the past.

I think after trying multiple F2P games with cash shops that I like the old shcool Tank, Healer, Support classes format the most.  I know it goes against this newer wave of thinking with MMO's but I just think that I like old school the best.

With that being said I am looking to my freinds on this site to maybe point me to the best old MMO that would be fun to make my home. 

Critea:

1) Subscription based

2) Tank, Healer, Support based

3) Player housing (optional)

4) Mature sub based

Comments

• OrenshiiOrenshii Member Posts: 61

Check out final fantasy XI online, got everything but housing, even then you got a mog house u can decorate.

Give it a look.

Destiny has cheated me
    By forcing me to decide upon
    The woman that I idolise
    Or the hands of an automaton

Without these hands I can't complete
    The opera that was captivating her
    But if I keep them, and she marries him
    Then he probably won't want me dating her

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

God, the closest thing (dont hate me...) is going to be vanguard... maybe EQ2.

-Personally I have not played either in some time bt feel that (when I DID play) they are pretty close to your criteria and are decent games in their own rights.

I know...I know...SOE.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

could look at Rift aswell if he hasent tried it yet. Will have housing with expak. just a thought.

But imo theres really nothing woth playing these days.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I'd have to agree with Rift (come the expansion), EQ2, and would add Vanguard to the list.

They are all good trinity games with their own strengths. Finding a mature group of gamers is possible in most games but the more popular and well-known that game is the more of a needle in a haystack it will be to find them.

Fortunately, all three of these games have a form of limited trial, so try them out and see if any of them stick.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Corber

I think after trying multiple F2P games with cash shops that I like the old shcool Tank, Healer, Support classes format the most.

Just to let you know, F2P and cash shops have nothing to do with the trinity. 

Good luck though, and grats on the determination that you need to subscribe to a game before you'll be able to enjoy it.  No more guilty pleasures! lol 

Question: If a game charged $30 a month for a sub, would that make it twice as good as a game that only charged $15 per month?

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Years ago I would have said DDO for the maturity.  Some in the PnP crowd are quite gentlemanly.

If you can handle the graphics shock, maybe an EQ server would fill the oldschool PVE itch.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by pierth

I'd have to agree with Rift (come the expansion), EQ2, and would add Vanguard to the list.

They are all good trinity games with their own strengths. Finding a mature group of gamers is possible in most games but the more popular and well-known that game is the more of a needle in a haystack it will be to find them.

Fortunately, all three of these games have a form of limited trial, so try them out and see if any of them stick.

^

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

What's the difference between "subscription based" "mature sub based"? Also, I'm not sure a feature that you list as optional can be considered criteria. For instance, part of the criteria for the president is that he/she must be born in the U.S.; it's not optional. Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, but that didn't really make any sense to me.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by blognorg

What's the difference between "subscription based" "mature sub based"? Also, I'm not sure a feature that you list as optional can be considered criteria. For instance, part of the criteria for the president is that he/she must be born in the U.S.; it's not optional. Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, but that didn't really make any sense to me.

-I think he was meaning a Mature community in a sub based game-  At least that is the way I took it.

• blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643

Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Originally posted by blognorg What's the difference between "subscription based" "mature sub based"? Also, I'm not sure a feature that you list as optional can be considered criteria. For instance, part of the criteria for the president is that he/she must be born in the U.S.; it's not optional. Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick, but that didn't really make any sense to me.
    -I think he was meaning a Mature community in a sub based game-  At least that is the way I took it.  

Ah, I suppose that makes sense. Free to play games do seem a little worse, judging my the general chat. Or betas... all betas seem to be bad. TERA's really stood out to me; it was borderline offensive.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

could look at Rift aswell if he hasent tried it yet. Will have housing with expak. just a thought.

But imo theres really nothing woth playing these days.

Nothing worth paying a monthly for anyway......Id go for EQ or Vanguard as they bot hare old school and offer f2p to start so theres no initial cost.....Rift is a major WoW clone and is hardly old school.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    You should play DAOC. 
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

So I have come to  a cross roads in my gaming life.

I purchased GW2 hoping for the next big thing however I find myself bored with the game (not that it's bad, just not for me) and am thinking about my gaming days from the past.

I think after trying multiple F2P games with cash shops that I like the old shcool Tank, Healer, Support classes format the most.  I know it goes against this newer wave of thinking with MMO's but I just think that I like old school the best.

With that being said I am looking to my freinds on this site to maybe point me to the best old MMO that would be fun to make my home. 

Critea:

1) Subscription based

2) Tank, Healer, Support based

3) Player housing (optional)

4) Mature sub based

Newer games:

Rift

Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 in few months (not avabile yet)

Older games:

Final Fantasy XI

Rift is hardly old school though. It has many mechanics that promote lobb-like instance playing. It has good support, good amount of combat instanced content though.

Most of other games are microtransaction based f2p or freemium models or sub+CS double dipping so...

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Personally I wish we could take "instancing" and toss it in the trash..  IMO, Instancing has caused more harm then good to MMO communities..  I started playing EQ back in 99 and it was all about the community good or bad.. Servers too pride which was the best in forms of talent and maturity..  The open world was truly open.. Sure there was fighting over boss mobs, which I agree caused alot of frustration like the cleric epic in Skyfire.. BUT.. with today's technology, instead of instancing everything for the carebears, do what GW2 has done.. ( SCALE open boss encounters).. 

I would like to see leveling slowed up once again.. The journey should be the prize of playing, not some end game grindfest.. If I could work my magic I would take EQ (original), and combine it with GW2 and tweak some stuff here and there.. I do like housing and I think EQ2 did do that right.. Bring back fishing too.. dammit!..

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by JulianDracos
    You should play DAOC. 

Great game... played it for years... can't imagine playing it again with its ancient dated graphics.

Call me shallow but looks matter.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Vanguard all the way. Old school design mixed with  some newer concepts. Now that SOE decided to finally start supporting it.. It wwould be the best game on the market for you. Unless you have to have PVP.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I think after trying multiple F2P games with cash shops that I like the old shcool Tank, Healer, Support classes format the most.

Good luck though, and grats on the determination that you need to subscribe to a game before you'll be able to enjoy it.  No more guilty pleasures! lol 

Question: If a game charged $30 a month for a sub, would that make it twice as good as a game that only charged $15 per month?

Yeah that seems to be the prevailing thought with some gamers nowadays...The old "you get what you pay for" motto...Kinda like people paying 200 dollars for a crap game like TSW but it must be good if they are charging 200 dollars for it!

• potacopotaco Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Yeah that seems to be the prevailing thought with some gamers nowadays...The old "you get what you pay for" motto...Kinda like people paying 200 dollars for a crap game like TSW but it must be good if they are charging 200 dollars for it!

Your logic is astounding. If someone chose to drop $200 on TSW and ended up hating it, they have no one to blame but themselves. There was a pre-order/beta period, there was early access, and the monthly sub is only $15.

Just because you have the option to spend $200 on something extra doesn't mean you should judge the entire game  based on that... They aren't forcing anyone to pay that much. If it's not worth $200 for a lifetime sub, don't pay it. If it's not worth $15/month, don't pay it.

"You get what you pay for" is definitely true to a certain extent. With the exception of Aion, most games require either a subscription or some kind of payment in order to make your experience more enjoyable. That doesn't mean you have to blow all your money on it... If you're a smart person who knows how to budget your money, you shouldn't have a problem either way.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

i suppose if someone was willing to pay the xtra,  yes.