Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P has ruined SWTOR and Legacy

superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

F2P has ruined SWTOR, it has lost the plot, and the Cartel Market has just cheapned the game. It is certainly not worth subbing to any more. At least before F2P SWTOR had some respect, and more reason to sub.

When I unlocked Legacy previously I had to go play until got to Alderaan

Now on anotther character on a different server, at level 25, just finished with Taris and got Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine to do before unlocking Legacy. I then log in to that character after F2P change, and I get Legacy, it now gives me it early. So not much point playing any more anyway. It has taken the fun out of playing through the game and unlocking Legacy

What is up with Legacy, what has changed with F2P, and how can F2P people enjoy Legacy with only 2 chars?

Comments

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by superniceguy

F2P has ruined SWTOR, it has lost the plot, and the Cartel Market has just cheapned the game. It is certainly not worth subbing to any more. At least before F2P SWTOR had some respect, and more reason to sub.

When I unlocked Legacy previously I had to go play until got to Alderaan

Now on anotther character on a different server, at level 25, just finished with Taris and got Nar Shaddaa and Tatooine to do before unlocking Legacy. I then log in to that character after F2P change, and I get Legacy, it now gives me it early. So not much point playing any more anyway. It has taken the fun out of playing through the game and unlocking Legacy

What is up with Legacy, what has changed with F2P, and how can F2P people enjoy Legacy with only 2 chars?

It lost the plot when it was on the development table.  With EA involved with any game what you really expect?

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

Not sure what you're talking about. The game hasn't changed for me at all since I've been subbinged since release. Yes , there is the Cartel Martket, but if I only subbed and never looked at the Cash shop, the game will still be the exact same for me.

However, I like the cash shop, I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on hit, maybe an extra 15$ or so a month. I love the items I have gotten, especially my Sith Throne mount. I feel like a powerful sith crossed with Professor X.

I think they did a good job. With it all.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Now that F2P is done, one wonders what those 200 people on the SWTOR team are working on next!

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Legacy was frickin awful and I for one am glad I can buy imperial races say helow to my rata consular.  Not everyone has a gazillion hours to go grinding character after character out I have 2 chars who more than take up all my time.   I only wish they would also sell the buffs.

It's not pay 2 win its pay for time.

Originally posted by Elevenb4

Not sure what you're talking about. The game hasn't changed for me at all since I've been subbinged since release. Yes , there is the Cartel Martket, but if I only subbed and never looked at the Cash shop, the game will still be the exact same for me.

However, I like the cash shop, I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on hit, maybe an extra 15$ or so a month. I love the items I have gotten, especially my Sith Throne mount. I feel like a powerful sith crossed with Professor X.

You've clearly stated the problem with this game. It's still a lukewarm D+ or C- product.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Originally posted by saxifr

You've clearly stated the problem with this game. It's still a lukewarm D+ or C- product.

body setting 4. it's at least a DD+ product.  nudge nudge wink wink

*snicker*

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by saxifr
    Now that F2P is done, one wonders what those 200 people on the SWTOR team are working on next!

They said they will be expanding Space combat and Space activity in general a lot. Taking Space off rails if you will.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

It has changed, and has changed for all, but if you have already unlocked legacy, and do not plan on doing it again, then you will not see this change. I wonder what the new requirements are, and what other things have been compromised / dumbed down?

The Legacy system is SWTORs main feature.

For those who spent loads of time on Legacy, when could have done something else, does it  now not make you mad that if you waited, you need not have spent so much time levelling legacy?

Originally posted by thamighty213

Legacy was frickin awful and I for one am glad I can buy imperial races say helow to my rata consular.  Not everyone has a gazillion hours to go grinding character after character out I have 2 chars who more than take up all my time.   I only wish they would also sell the buffs.

It's not pay 2 win its pay for time.

That is true, but Legacy is SWTORs main attraction, and before F2P it was more awful, as had to pay to level through them, but now in F2P it would not make it so bad, as can enjoy levelling through other characters casually without paying to do so, except now can not get more than 2 characters.

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65
    I don´t care aslong the servers are full and let me login with priority.

The game is no way near ruined
    Originally posted by Winterizer
    I don´t care aslong the servers are full and let me login with priority. The game is no way near ruined

F2P does not do much do get more to log in, especially with its fixed 2 char cap, and the change of F2P then is pointless. It would have been better to spend time enhancing the game making it more attractive for people to sub.

Maybe some people are playing through now, and hoping that they will let you buy more char slots, but if they do not, then it is just pontless. When people max out a char then they will more likely quit, as can not create more even if they wanted to. They should allow at least 8, but 2 max vs 12 per server and 50 per account is pathetic

Also some will quit with the F2P, especially knowing that it is not doing much to get new players into the game, or stay for long, therby making them change it to F2P a waste of EAs time.

What would you have preferred as a subber - F2P or a proper worthwhile full blown expansion?

• WinterizerWinterizer Member Posts: 65

I think it is cool that almost everyone that I know of that started with F2P has subscribed during the weekend.

PvP pops often and the flashpoints from time to time, mainly due to lack of healers or tanks as in any other game.

I do not see how F2P has ruined anything, the game is more alive then it has been for months

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

In my opinion many underestimate what restrictions people will accept for playing something for free. For those who only want to experience the game without buying the game or subbing and loving the story aspect they will accept these restrictions. Afterall 4 ftp accounts will get you 8 classes on both sides. Don't see how a person who solely wants to experience the class based story which is to me the best part of the game will not be excited about this game.

Let's face it no amount of improvement  of the game is going to bring people back when they left. FTP on the otherhand will increase the population.

Originally posted by kitarad

In my opinion many underestimate what restrictions people will accept for playing something for free. For those who only want to experience the game without buying the game or subbing and loving the story aspect they will accept these restrictions. Afterall 4 ftp accounts will get you 8 classes on both sides. Don't see how a person who solely wants to experience the class based story which is to me the best part of the game will not be excited about this game.

Let's face it no amount of improvement  of the game is going to bring people back when they left. FTP on the otherhand will increase the population.

You can create 4 ftp accounts, but will not benefit from the Legacy. You will have to put in 4 times more effort

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

It might increase the population short term. I checked torstatus.net only a .78+ upturn.   However if you were like me with several 50's and a full legacy plate. There is no reason to come back, as nothing that drove me away truly changed, and with the restrictions in place I will not go back.  I could live with some restrictions but nnot be limited to 2 toons, I can understand unlocks for my purple armor, but not at the cost of 300 bucks you might as well sub up.  

In the short term populations is going to go up. This will be like lotro, a lot of folks will leave who started with this game and then you get the new free to play population who will show up do the story and move on. 

Originally posted by Winterizer

I think it is cool that almost everyone that I know of that started with F2P has subscribed during the weekend.

PvP pops often and the flashpoints from time to time, mainly due to lack of healers or tanks as in any other game.

I do not see how F2P has ruined anything, the game is more alive then it has been for months

For people to sub already, they could not have played the game much, and could have done so on the free trial to level 15 without paying anything and being so restricted. Even on the free trial you could create more than 2 chars.

F2P has ruined the game, because you can not create more than 2 chars, and leaves the game with a sleazy Cash Shop, and if people are subbing from it, then what is the point in there being F2P?

free to level 15 with option to sub > F2P to sub

The game will not be so alive soon when realise can not create more chars even if they want to, plus about 75% quit the game after a few months after launch. The game has not improved since launch, and the same will happen again, and for those trying to play via F2P will quit even sooner.

F2P should get you all the stuff that subbers get, but overall costs more than $15, but where it works out cheaper is that you do not have to spend on stuff you do not want to play.

Without being able to create more than 2 chars has ruined the fundamental core of the game. It is the only reason I am interested in returning, as do not care for other stuff. Space missions have played to death, so can live with those restrictions. I do not care for Operations or Warzones so can live with those restrictions.

I can not create more than 2 chars, and I do not want to pay the full $15. I would be willing to pay to unlock more char slots, but I can not, so I can not return to the game, and make it more alive.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I agree. There is no change in gameplay with f2P. The only thing that changed is that you can got some cool stuff with CC.

I love the game even more right now.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I agree. There is no change in gameplay with f2P. The only thing that changed is that you can got some cool stuff with CC.

Legacy has changed. which is what the thread is all about

Is there an official post detailing these changes? If not, then I bet there are some other changes that have not yet been discovered. You need to play more

Is there an official post detailing these changes? If not, then I bet there are some other changes that have not yet been discovered. You need to play more

The only change to legacy is that you now get it at level 10, chich is actually a very good change in my opinion. It allows you to try more alts and not work on just one until end of chapter 1. The other change is that you can purchase stuff in legacy for credits or CC if you wish to. One more change is that you can unlock the HK-51 after you do the quest on first character. Did I miss anything else?

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

I find legacy to be one of the most appealing aspects of the game, and I'm glad they've opened it up earlier. You still have to pay for the perks. I personally focused on the shp upgrades (mailbox, repair droid, GTN).

SWTOR continues to be a great game, and f2p just makes it better.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

Originally posted by erictlewis

It might increase the population short term. I checked torstatus.net only a .78+ upturn.   However if you were like me with several 50's and a full legacy plate. There is no reason to come back, as nothing that drove me away truly changed, and with the restrictions in place I will not go back.  I could live with some restrictions but nnot be limited to 2 toons, I can understand unlocks for my purple armor, but not at the cost of 300 bucks you might as well sub up.  

In the short term populations is going to go up. This will be like lotro, a lot of folks will leave who started with this game and then you get the new free to play population who will show up do the story and move on. 

Yesterday and the day before I was comparing tor status with actual server statuses. When tor status shows heavy or heavy... there were actually plenty of full and very heavy servers. I checked both EU someting around 2 PM EST and US at 8 PM EST.

This is snapshot of EU servers taken just now - 10:20 AM EST (it would be 4;20 PM in EU I think) , it's too early for US, I will post one later

Xfire jumped significantly in last 2 days, SWTOR is now 10th the most played game

The only change to legacy is that you now get it at level 10, chich is actually a very good change in my opinion. It allows you to try more alts and not work on just one until end of chapter 1. The other change is that you can purchase stuff in legacy for credits or CC if you wish to. One more change is that you can unlock the HK-51 after you do the quest on first character. Did I miss anything else?

Dunno, but pity you did not say that to begin with, instead of saying there were no changes, when there were

Just will have to wait for them to update F2P to unlock more char slots. Can not play the game until they do.

Dunno, but pity you did not say that to begin with, instead of saying there were no changes, when there were

Just will have to wait for them to update F2P to unlock more char slots. Can not play the game until they do.

These are minor changes and for better. You guys are unbelievable. You want to bash the game so badly, you will find a hole in the whole.

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51

Correction: Your parents will be paying an extra $15 a month, not you. Anyone who knows the worth of money wouldn't even bother with this game or any F2P game.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    I would give the F2P a try if they changed the sluggish combat. I found the combat post level-30 extremely boring.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.