Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we old vets burned out or did we grow up?

Comments

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    not going to list my gaming history like the resume of a desperate geek trying to get a job, but i will concurr that the games have changed and are designed around the no [mod edit] left behind policy and mmo vets find it insulting.
  • Gassy_the_GoblinGassy_the_Goblin Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

Its not me. :) I have gown tired of the action combat games we have today with no depth. [mod edit]

To make a long story short no. Its the games today not us. :)

Glad to read that :) .

Seems like with the replies currently, it's the games, not us.  Although graphic cards to continue to improve, online speeds are faster, etc. I'm always curious if a game will come out that will take advantage of something like Google Fiber & blow the lid off of the current games.  Maybe something like;  Google Fiber + Sight: Contact Lenses with Augmented Reality - Futuristic Video + MMO + Cthulhu game / Paranoia  :)   (minus all of that cheesball in the video).   

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

I don't think it's "growing up", I think that the new games just don't have the same impact as the older ones did. There's not as much love put into them as there used to be. The games are bland, boring, and just don't have the content to keep you zoned in.

I personally still play Everquest 2, and I enjoy it, the content is still good and intriguing. I dunno, could be maturity for you, but I'm hoping to never really grow out of it.

Killing dragons is my shit

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Neither...  The answer is obvious.

Games just aren't made like they once were...

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Worse than that, they are moving backwards in a lot of ways.  Game companies have decided we are all stupid, and so each new game "simplifies" or removes something. 

It's like we are moving toward a game that just plays itself while you watch, and you always win.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    What on earth does "maturity" have to do with gaming?  Used to be in the old days we made "men's only clubs" where we went to game or gamble the day away.  The idea was only an adult would like sit down games.  Youth games are one's where you run around after a ball or some such; sports.  Adult games - sit down and play.  There is no such thing as becoming to old to play.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Neither these new games have no depth. So I just moved to PnP to keep up with my RPG desires. Just move on I am done with video games until they start putting out real MMORPGs again, but I don't care because I have Pathfinder RPG and Ice and Fire RPG. Really I don't think a MMO can compare unless we see something like AC, Shadowbane, or EQ. That should cover all the gaming types.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    What on earth does "maturity" have to do with gaming?  Used to be in the old days we made "men's only clubs" where we went to game or gamble the day away.  The idea was only an adult would like sit down games.  Youth games are one's where you run around after a ball or some such; sports.  Adult games - sit down and play.  There is no such thing as becoming to old to play.

If you ask me, a video game is more interesting that sitting in front of the TV like a lot of adults do.  I prefer something interactive, social and requiring brain activity to TV most of the time.  These new games are almost to the point where they are no better than TV.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Neither, the games changed.

I never found mindless grinding on its own to be fun. I tolerated it in DAoC because you had the freedom to explore while you did it, and you were almost always in a group, socializing while it happened, which made each day unique and interesting. On top of that, there were about 4 different ways to level (hunting mobs with good camp bonus, kill tasks, bounties, and the battlegrounds).

I cannot tolerate it in WoW where it is just quest grinding until you die with nothing to look forward to.

Modern MMOs, have just about less of everything. Less features, less customization, less socializing, and so, I'm less interested in them. I like the same things I liked 10 years ago. But the games I liked then are no longer there. And new ones are not being made.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Worse than that, they are moving backwards in a lot of ways.  Game companies have decided we are all stupid, and so each new game "simplifies" or removes something. 

It's like we are moving toward a game that just plays itself while you watch, and you always win.

They're slowly mutating into what will eventually be nothing more than terrible movies. As I said in another thread yesterday, the new complaints we're going to be reading on forums like this will include frustration over having to mobilize and walk to the pc with the additional chore of having to actually push the power button to get that picture rolling. 

I've really grown tired of watching a genre with such an unprecedented amount of potential stagnate and rot like a fallen tree in a soggy forest. Sad is where I would put us a half decade ago. Where we are now; I have no words.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I'm neither burned out or mature.. ha ha..  I've been a gamer for 30 years..  I still have a warm spot in my heart for Elite, which I played on my Commodore system, and EQ.. Now at the time I played both those games I could spend hours playing them, no different then when I would play my PS3 games on a cold winter weekend..  I haven't done any of that of late.. My free time as changed over the years, but IF the game is fun and still playable, I'll play....... Because of limited time, paying for a sub does become an issue..  I'm enjoying GW2 alot.. The gameplay is good and I can play at any rate I want.. I no longer feel cheated if I don't play this week or next week..  If all I have time for is an hour a week.. great.. 

For me, the issue is:  1) Is the game fun?  2) Is it worth the time to play?  I read that someone is trying to make an MMO version of Elite..  I loved that game and even if the game just ended up a working reskin of the original I would buy it in a NY second..  EVE is too group and PvP oriented from what I gather.. and I refuse to pay to play PvP..  From where I sit , GW2 is the first significan change in the MMO direction over the past 10 years..  Neverwinter might be another, who knows..

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

@ OP

The games today are just simply overplayed the same way with nothing new to offer but short term value and playability.

Yeah they are superior in graphics and audio, however simply point.

"All flash and no substance".

• MoLoK_MoLoK_ Member UncommonPosts: 307

For how many hours did you play Pong then?

In total? Effective playing time. 3 hours? 4? 10?

How many hours did you sink into C&C? 

Nowadays both we and the gamedesigners expect games to last like forever. 

Thats a huge mistake. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I started gaming when I was 18, now I'm 40. Love gaming as a hobby but you can simply tell that high quality mmos do not exist anymore. The passion for making a great game first has been lost. Sure I have changed a lot since I started and my gaming tastes have changed too. You can tell when something is good and not good now because people like me have been there done that and know the difference. I still want to play a good mmo but I find myself more interested in console gaming right now because pc mmos have gone downhill. 
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

The industry changed, we didn't. 

For me it was:

Dark Age of Camelot...44 races, 26 classes, 3 unique realms that are their own continent for 50 levels of exploring.  Us vs Them vs Them - the way pvp should be and just a darn good game.

This 5 race/class copy paste stuff you see today - just sickens me.  But what can you do?

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809
    Originally posted by Comaf

For me it was:

Dark Age of Camelot...44 races, 26 classes, 3 unique realms that are their own continent for 50 levels of exploring.  Us vs Them vs Them - the way pvp should be and just a darn good game.

This 5 race/class copy paste stuff you see today - just sickens me.  But what can you do?

Its a shame I missed this game. When UO turned in to a chaotic open world gank fest and I joined EQ I was pretty burnt out on PVP.  So I never tried DAOC for I was deep in to the EQ world at that time.

Another I never even knew was around was AC by Turbine which I also wish I got to play. My next MMO after EQ was SWG and that is the last MMO I played that I really enjoyed and stuck it out for longer then a year. Well that is not true I did play Wow off and on longer then a year but it wasn't the same as those other games.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Comaf

For me it was:

Your retrospect on DAoC makes me beyond angry that I took a leave of absence from gaming during that time. Did I ever pick the wrong period to take a long break from gaming to indulge in women and partying.

/slaps self on forehead. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

EVERY developer is trying to sell us half ass efforts.

The few games that tried to go in depth and big ,struggled.FFXI took 5 years to recover the cost fo effort,Vanguard never recovered and never was actually finished to it's full potential.Lastly Curt Schilling tried to go massive and big but never finished his MMO project and is now bankrupt.

All these other games are one trick ponies that still lead to very superfical gaming,either pvp or dungeon crawling in raid form for loot.

BOTH the RPG and MMO aspects have disappeared.

There is one game yet to come that will deliver both the RPG and MMO apsects and that is Archeage.Even still the sheer cost and effort needed has left that game with some serious flaws that will hamper it's full potential.The good news is that Archeage will adapt well to a huge Korean market that might give ity lasting power,however with no Esport tag attached to it,it won't be the huge success this genre needs.Sadly i don't want MMORPG's to have any sort of pvp limitations,that is why i loved FFXI,it removed pvp for the sake of a better class design and PVE game.

There is no secret formula,to make a true grande game, it needs tons of cost ,manpower and skill and nobody is willing ot take on that risk.You are NOT going to make a great game based on anything under 100 million,no way in hell.Just the cost of manpower,marketing,publishing,game engine eat most of that up leaving little left for actual game design.

Smedley of SOE i beleive is onto a new marketing strategy.I beleive his idea is to not aim for a large audience but make something that can reel in some big spenders,people willing to spend more tha nnormal for extra perks inside of a cash shop game.Simple math really,instead of 2/3/4/5 million subs at 15 bucks,aim for 200k spenders spending 30/40/50+ a month on cash shop.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gothokaosgothokaos Member UncommonPosts: 145

Am I getting older? You bet!

Some of my children are adults now and I don't have the time to play that I used to.

I have a 5 yr old that is obsessed with Minecraft!

Am I burned out? Almost!

Most games are no different than Everquest.

I need some new style of playing games, possibly similar to the Kinect. The button mashing games are so Y2K!

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    There is a Minecraft 2 made by the exactly same guy and it has zelda like graphics and took 48h to make. Can't find the link.  Oh and KoD did predate M59 despite what wikipedia says. I think games aren't as good as they were back then as EQ1 still feels the same despite hte unpleasant updates that have happened ot it lately.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I think it depends on what your life is, what you liked for games when you were younger, what you want your life to be, what you like for games now.

Not everyone follows the route of family and a job that takes up more than 40 hours per week. Some people do have time for games.  Heck, I'm 45 and when I'm not working my time is "mine". However, if you aren't getting what you want out of the games and if you do have time for them, I wonder if it could just be the games  that are coming out now just don't grab. I still like and even prefer the older games. I just bougth planescape and it's excellent.

Even the new x-com is great and it reminds me of the first x-com.

I tend not to like the modern games. Oh the better graphics are nice but the game play doesn't really capture me. I find that I retreat to older games and my elderscrolls.

So, if one has time to play games then one should have good games to play. 

Or maybe games were just a part of one's life and you moved on.

The only person who can answer that is the person asking the question.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

As for me, I just realised that I am not burnout at all.

I am just sick of the the lame AI of mobs, npc and the boss.

Just blame on the Dev that just don't want or cannot evolved the AI.

In one of these Q & A Dev videos of Monty ( Eve Dev ) comment that it is too hard and

cost a lot of money to make the game AI better, lol. 

So it seems for Dev not worth the hustle to improve the AI in gaming. 

MMOs gameplays are just always the same shit with different skins for every company.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/montys-minute-show-page/ 

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Are we old vets burned out or did we grow up?

It's the lack of innovation that effects me. I don't think I am growing out of the games, but nothing new ever comes out anymore. UO was new to me and will always be my favorite.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Togrim, I believe it is a few factors, including age and a little bit of burn-out. I also believe that games are just not made like they used to be made. I blame the console gaming industry for that, where tapping massive button combos was the way to win.

I did enjoy Skyrim (new game) and have played it quite a bit. But I find that when I re-play many older games, I still find they are fun and exciting. I am currently re-playing BG I and II, SW:KotOR I and II, Dabbling in Master of Magic, and spending time playing old computerized board games like Venture, Rail Baron, Iron Dragon, San Juan and Puerto Rico, and Acquire. I find that the games of today are so action/combat oriented I just do not get into them. The old games with their 8, 16, 32, 64 bits of data had to rely on aspects other than combat for their games :)

Yes, age factors into the equation. Our lives change and sometimes what we used to find "fun" may no longer be for us. Burn-out also factors in, especially when it comes to MMOs. Never again will I be wide-eyed in awe as I try to figure what is what in a MMO. That being said, games of today are just focused on a different kind of gameplay than the games of old.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Originally posted by Icewhite

"Old vets" is a specious group to present, since (quite obviously) many of us rarely agree.

Want to talk about individuals?  Okay, but I'd need the mod's permission to express opinions on the topic.  I consider that extraordinarily unlikely.  As a result, this thread can't go anywhere good. 

There are perhaps a dozen individuals that I would consider hopeless cases; they clearly are not going to find a new game that pleases them, ever.  They just have impossible expectations, and they don't play well with others.

Another, oh, fifty or so habitual drama queens; they're not really miserable, they just like to fight amongst themselves.  Speak in absolutes, cry doom, complain incessantly, etc.

And a couple of hundred flat-out trolls.  Just want to get you (or me, or you over there) and push your buttons.  Most of them probably do not consider themselves trolls...or not often.  But read the carnage every weekend morning...

There, I've been candid.  The generally results in a few days off.  I'll just enjoy playing, instead.

Candid examination of our mmorpg.com local denizens, of course, can/will be bifurcated into "blame the customers".

Where do you class yourself in these groups of people or types of mmorpg.com local denizens as you call them?

The problem too often on these forums is that people are over confident in their analysis of everyone else. It's most probable that people could achieve much more if they focused their attention on describing their own opinions or better yet improving themselves rather than looking down their noses and labeling everyone else. There is a huge spectrum of beliefs and unimaginable variety of peoples and quite frankly belonging to one or a few of the groups that is quoted above is preferable to belong to the group I mention. Trust me I am a part of it.