Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love this game!

KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
its like Wizard101 meets Final Fantasy Tactics w/ PIRATES. I think ill enjoy playing this for a long time.

Try it! Head-start started yesterday

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
—Lao-Tze

Comments

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Kenze
    its like Wizard101 meets Final Fantasy Tactics w/ PIRATES. I think ill enjoy playing this for a long time. Try it! Head-start started yesterday

I started playing today! Incredible game! Like it even more than Wizard101.

Incredible game so far. From character creation to the town thats on a giant whale(As much as I have experienced so far). I play a buccaneer who was born in Mooshu! Love it! Have a samarai as a companion!

In this game you level up your companions as well as yourself.  You get multiple companions, im up to 3 right now. You get your own ship which you can outfit as well!  Ship warfare anyone? Think of Sid Meiers Pirates! Includes both ship combat and boarding! Along with a home to decorate(have not done any yet). In your home there is a bank and a shared bank(for your other characters)

Combat is both strategic and action together.Very very FUN!  Now only if they would make a MMO with adult graphics. Game is 9/10 for adults and 10/10 for kids. Love this title very much. Subscription is cheap!

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

Yeap, I'm enjoying it alot so far, it seems to have more depth than wizard101 which was a really solid game. Pirates101 is also  a tad more charming, the world could make for a really good saturday morning cartoon. Loved the puppet shows too. 

I do have some laments however, no cosmetic tab, and some skills are peformed with a 'spell-casting' animation, which I hope are place holders. Also wish that housing was inside the players ship, I may post these as suggestions on their forums later.  

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Major upgrade from Wizard 101. First time I'm tempted to buy a starter pack in a F2P game and I'm usually against that sort of thing
  • bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79

My ten year old and I played during beta and at launch. She decided to stop playing because it was buggy. We had a lot of issues with moving between areas and horrible rubber banding that made grouping painful. I'm sure they're mainly load related.

She doesn't like the change in combat from Wizard 101. I want to like it, but so far it hasn't been an approvement as I went with a close combat class and spend most of my time in combat trying to get close enough to fight. Especially probalematic when fighting with a lot of players.

The first town was disapointing. Several class building that we apparently couldn't enter, some mini games and a guy selling a few things. I'm sure there's a real city somewhere, but I was hoping for something more vibrant. My daughter likes to explore and there's not much to see in the first area.

I didn't fight with ships other than the tutorial battle. My first impression is that it's clunky and not as poslished as Pirates of the Carribean.

I like the companion system a lot and I think it's probably the strongest improvement over Wizard 101. 

Originally posted by bbbmmmlll

My ten year old and I played during beta and at launch. She decided to stop playing because it was buggy. We had a lot of issues with moving between areas and horrible rubber banding that made grouping painful. I'm sure they're mainly load related.

She doesn't like the change in combat from Wizard 101. I want to like it, but so far it hasn't been an approvement as I went with a close combat class and spend most of my time in combat trying to get close enough to fight. Especially probalematic when fighting with a lot of players.

The first town was disapointing. Several class building that we apparently couldn't enter, some mini games and a guy selling a few things. I'm sure there's a real city somewhere, but I was hoping for something more vibrant. My daughter likes to explore and there's not much to see in the first area.

I didn't fight with ships other than the tutorial battle. My first impression is that it's clunky and not as poslished as Pirates of the Carribean.

I like the companion system a lot and I think it's probably the strongest improvement over Wizard 101. 

You dont get training points to enter other class buildings til level 8. I actually enjoy this game much more than Wizard101. Not nearly as linear as Wizard101 is. Also, it is much more vast in comparision. The finished product is alot different than beta. You also did not advance very far. I would give it another chance. Pirate101 is a completely different game than Wizard101.

I would leave the starter Island before coming to judgement.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

I decided to try it, i didnt like wizardry but this one is pretty good. Turn based combat is great image.

So far that a good little game. I love my samooraiimage

Originally posted by bbbmmmlll

You must have written the game off pretty early. The main questline opens up the class trainer buildings around level 4 or 5, not 8. You can't pick a second class until 8 however but you can enter the buildings.

Anywho this tells me you really didn't give the game a fair chance, but if you don't like the combat that's understandable. Different strokes and all that.

Wizard101 is a good game. Some people prefer to stick to what they know. As for the naval combat. It's pretty basic. Move up to a ship and hit 1 - 4 when cooldowns refresh until you either destroy it or you are able to board it. It's not groundbreaking by far with no evasive manuvers, but with customizable ships and as a meta game where you can level up seperate from the main game it's decent.

Originally posted by Starpower
    Major upgrade from Wizard 101. First time I'm tempted to buy a starter pack in a F2P game and I'm usually against that sort of thing

Well that was a mistake. Seems buying crowns only gets the account flagged for suspecious behavior

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

I haven't actually tried either game. To be honest I thought it was a game for kids. It seems as though I might be wrong. A few questions to those who have played it..

1. Is there pvp?

2. Is it an open world or instanced world? This isn't a big deal to me - just curious really. 

3. Is there crafting?

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by afropuff420

I haven't actually tried either game. To be honest I thought it was a game for kids. It seems as though I might be wrong. A few questions to those who have played it..

1. Is there pvp?

2. Is it an open world or instanced world? This isn't a big deal to me - just curious really. 

3. Is there crafting?

No pvp, no crafting, and instanced

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Margulis

1. Is there pvp?

3. Is there crafting?

It's a game that is mostly targeted to kids, but can be fun to play for the entire family.  I play with my son and we love it.  Most of the quest lines use the type of "animaniacs" humor that only adults or those familiar with pop-culture really get.  A great example is the quest to find Marquis Mark's lost Funky Bunches of bananas around the various islands.   Marquis Mark's closing statement when you complete the quest is priceless if you know the reference.  There are great "Frogfather" and "Rat Pack" quest lines, a vendor named Billy Haze, a rooster named Marshall Cogburn, a Prisoner of Zenda quest, etc...

In regards to your questions:

1)  No PvP now, but arena-style PvP will eventually be added (open world wouldn't be too family friendly).

2)  It's a mix.  You do wander the world with other players and can easily switch "realms" if one gets to full or a friend is in a different one.  You can join other players in open world broadside, deck or ground battles.  There are a number of instances, though, for quests.

3)  No crafting, but it may be added later.  Wizard101 has basic, family-friendly crafting.

1. Is there pvp?

3. Is there crafting?

1. They say they will add arena pvp, not sure if it already implent.

2. Instance world

3. I dont think so

4. This is not F2P this is a trial, at some point, the quest will send you to another maps but you cant go there unless you are a member or you pay to unlock the area. I say this because, because if you want to advance in this game you will have to pay.

This thing leave me a bitter tatse in my mouth, terrible cash shop + force to pay to continue. Give me sub with comsetics cash shop, ok but sub with pay to win cash shop no way.

Originally posted by rhinok

1. Is there pvp?

3. Is there crafting?

It's a game that is mostly targeted to kids, but can be fun to play for the entire family.  I play with my son and we love it.  Most of the quest lines use the type of "animaniacs" humor that only adults or those familiar with pop-culture really get.  A great example is the quest to find Marquis Mark's lost Funky Bunches of bananas around the various islands.   Marquis Mark's closing statement when you complete the quest is priceless if you know the reference.  There are great "Frogfather" and "Rat Pack" quest lines, a vendor named Billy Haze, a rooster named Marshall Cogburn, a Prisoner of Zenda quest, etc...

1)  No PvP now, but arena-style PvP will eventually be added (open world wouldn't be too family friendly).

2)  It's a mix.  You do wander the world with other players and can easily switch "realms" if one gets to full or a friend is in a different one.  You can join other players in open world broadside, deck or ground battles.  There are a number of instances, though, for quests.

3)  No crafting, but it may be added later.  Wizard101 has basic, family-friendly crafting.

This is not an open world, the world is separate into zone, wich are separate into tiny island, wich are separate into dungeon or cave.

That doesnt mean the game is not good tough.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Just got to the point where I need to buy access to the next zone so what's the best option? Buy crowns or subscription?
    Originally posted by Deolus
    Just got to the point where I need to buy access to the next zone so what's the best option? Buy crowns or subscription?

I am a sub. But its up to you. I got 6 months for half price. 4.99 a month. Which is good IMO.

Originally posted by xpowderx
    Originally posted by Deolus

I am a sub. But its up to you. I got 6 months for half price. 4.99 a month. Which is good IMO.

Generally speaking, it depends how long you play the game.  Crowns tend to be more cost effective over a couple of years.  That being said, you can often find pretty good deals on yearly membership.

Originally posted by Silok

1. Is there pvp?

3. Is there crafting?

This is not an open world, the world is separate into zone, wich are separate into tiny island, wich are separate into dungeon or cave.

Open world doesn't mean there aren't zones.  That's like saying EQ wasn't an open world game because it had zones.  The difference is EQs zones were bigger and it's dungeons were open.  In Pirate101, the zones are smaller and there are instanced dungeons instead of open dungeons.  

1. Is there pvp?

3. Is there crafting?

Open world doesn't mean there aren't zones.  That's like saying EQ wasn't an open world game because it had zones.  The difference is EQs zones were bigger and it's dungeons were open.  In Pirate101, the zones are smaller and there are instanced dungeons instead of open dungeons.  

no in pirates 101 you have instance in instance in instance. not very open open world dont you think?

If you have lets a map wich you can roam free in its city and forest etc, and you got instance for the dungeons, well yes you have an open world, wow is a good example, vanguard is even perfect.

But in pirate 101 you have a map wich is an instance, where each city are instance and in the city you have instance for dungeon, heck you even have instance inside the dungeon instance.

So no this game is not open world.

1. Is there pvp?

3. Is there crafting?

no in pirates 101 you have instance in instance in instance. not very open open world dont you think?

If you have lets a map wich you can roam free in its city and forest etc, and you got instance for the dungeons, well yes you have an open world, wow is a good example, vanguard is even perfect.

But in pirate 101 you have a map wich is an instance, where each city are instance and in the city you have instance for dungeon, heck you even have instance inside the dungeon instance.

Cities aren't instances, they're zones that any player can enter and move between.  The only "instances" are the dungeons you specifically have to enter with a timer.  Think of it more like City of Heroes - there are some open world city zones and then a bunch of combat instances.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    There's just something about this game that keeps me hooked, and I don't say that very often anymore. Last time I genuinely felt that way about an MMORPG was back in EQ2 and Vanguard. Ever since, not so much, until this game came along.
    Isaiah 41:10

1. Is there pvp?

3. Is there crafting?

Cities aren't instances, they're zones that any player can enter and move between.  The only "instances" are the dungeons you specifically have to enter with a timer.  Think of it more like City of Heroes - there are some open world city zones and then a bunch of combat instances.

That the same think, if you need to zone to enter a city then this is not an open world game. In pirate 101 you need to dock to enter a city, so this is an instance. The word instance is not only for dungeon when you can only have a group or a raid party.

Zone or instance is the same thing now, all you do here is playing with words. By the way a city has several channel wich are instance. A good example of a instance mmo is AOC, there is no real world map and pirate 101 is like that.

1. Is there pvp?

3. Is there crafting?

Apples and oranges

Original EQ before expansions  = Zoned

WoW = Zoned w. instanced dungeons

Pirate101 Instanced zones and instanced dungeons.

Everything in pirate101 is instanced. If too many people are in one place, another area becomes available forcing people into that instance of the zone. The reason why people call EQ open world is because you could run into people other than your group everywhere. The same is not true for Pirate101. You can both be on the same realm on the same spot and still not see each other because you are both in either area 1 or area 2

• zkyclearzkyclear Member Posts: 4
    I also love this game! With two great combat systems, a colourful world to explore, and buried treasure to be found, Pirate 101 is well worth your time, even if you're a grown up!
  • dalin89dalin89 Member Posts: 33
    Me too, I have been playing this game.
  • Drama24-7Drama24-7 Member Posts: 36

Pirate101 is great for kids and older people who want to play with kids. It's a total family game. It's multicultural, and there is even some NPCs who could be gay, which is cool (Catbeard is one) though this is not done with great finesse. The dialogue from all NPCs is mostly funny, sometimes delivering really good jokes. This can carry the older gamer through some boring grinds that will probably hold kid's imagination but not yours for very long.

So, if you want to shield your kids from WoW trade chat yet give them a real game they can enjoy, P101 is one of them.