Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I jumped into Windows 8

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by mikuniman
    Originally posted by Arcondo87 all you need to know about Windows 8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw Personally i will buy Windows 8 just so i can run it over with my car....
    Wow,  people are so dramatic with change, but thanks for the video it gives me an idea of the big picture.  I like the new look, and really it would take little time to clean it up and make it your own. Basically for that dirt cheap upgrade you get touch capabilities and better connectivity between your win based tablets and phones. For you keyboard dinosaurs it would take just as little time to change up the ui for that also. You buy any new tech these days get it home it always takes some sort of setup.

For me I see this as an option to replace my notebook with a tablet pc with win8 and since I'm about due for a new phone it all makes sense to do that also. For my desktop gaming rig can't see how it would benefit me right off. I usually wait  for hardware to catch up but watching that video gives me the itch to check it out sooner.

Not sure about anything else, but Windows 8 doesn't do anything for gaming. It doesn't really hurt it, but it doesn't help it either.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I dont think this hybrid tablet-desktop OS is "where the wind is blowing". It just shows that Microsoft is out of touch as Apple was smart enough to realise that tablets/phones and desktops are vastly different animals and why they didnt bridge their desktop OS with their phone/tablet one. It is like trying to mimic driving a car like a motorcycle, sorry it cannot be done. They are too different.

Some peoplel want the same experience from phone to desktop. Phones are gettting powerful enough to use a multitasking OS. Both iOS and Android are not - period. I have an iPhone, from work, and hate the bloody thing.

I know people that have used Win 8 since beta and they really like it. Yes, the UI takes some getting used to but you can turn it off in the OS - you don't have to use Metro. ALso, the security is more beefed up in 8 compared to 7.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Guess I'm the odd man out here. I think windows 8 is the best windows ever released. A little unintuitive at first, but I had 10 minutes to spare and played around with the hotcorners and shortcuts.
  • CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I dont think this hybrid tablet-desktop OS is "where the wind is blowing". It just shows that Microsoft is out of touch as Apple was smart enough to realise that tablets/phones and desktops are vastly different animals and why they didnt bridge their desktop OS with their phone/tablet one. It is like trying to mimic driving a car like a motorcycle, sorry it cannot be done. They are too different.

Some peoplel want the same experience from phone to desktop. Phones are gettting powerful enough to use a multitasking OS. Both iOS and Android are not - period. I have an iPhone, from work, and hate the bloody thing.

I know people that have used Win 8 since beta and they really like it. Yes, the UI takes some getting used to but you can turn it off in the OS - you don't have to use Metro. ALso, the security is more beefed up in 8 compared to 7.

You cant turn off metro in the retail version of Win8.  You could in the betas though.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Android Is a multitasking OS. It's one of its main selling points over ios.

It's just Googles version of Linux basicly.
    It wants to hurt gaming though lizard.

It's a test bed to see how much shit they can get away with with win 9. E.g. own Windows as a gaming platform like the xbox. If enough suckas buy win 8, welcome to console game prices on the pc in a few tears time, with crappy patch and mod support.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

It's a test bed to see how much shit they can get away with with win 9. E.g. own Windows as a gaming platform like the xbox. If enough suckas buy win 8, welcome to console game prices on the pc in a few tears time, with crappy patch and mod support.

And your source for this information is? Other than your opinion and dislike of MS?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

call me old fashioned by Windows 2000 professional was my favorite OS microsoft ever made.  It was simple, light, and I never had my computer crash once.  I had the computer for 10 years, in use for about 8 of those.  Finally the motherboard shorted out (had a big black mark arcing across several of the silver lines on the board) and fried the graphics card...a Geforce 2...which at that time was awesome, it caught on fire almost, and half the card melted lol.  By far the best computer I ever owned.  I do like Windows 7 though, it's pretty fluid and easy.

• drgrandrgran Member UncommonPosts: 192

I bought Windows 8 upgrade. The only real problem i have is with Mozilla. When i started Youtube from mozilla it stalls out. but in IE it is fine. I will try Mozilla again soon with a new fresh install of windows 7 + windows 8 upgrade.

I'm testing it out for my work

We use Autocad 2012 what i seen with this is sometimes it hangs for a bit. but rarely happens.

Networking i find it smooth compared to Windows 7. We have some issues with network here

Syncing up files between cities gets kinda of slow at times . but when it is slow on a windows 7 machine i use the windows 8 it does seem faster.

The interface isnt as bad as people say it is. you make your icon on the start menu and go with it. Yes it is like a tablet. but Do we really want to stay with a interface since windows 95 ? Start menu in the corner eveything from there.

the only problem i have with Windows 8 is the half assness they did with the loading of a program

when i start a program from the start menu it goes into the desktop screen then loads. I think that is the major performance issue. instead of loading it from the start menu with out going to the desktop some of the performance is to load and run the desktop screen.

In Game Wise i dont really see a difference expect if you are on a crappy wireless and you have to log into the game with internet you get hung up. Windows 7 i didnt see that but sometimes it hung but came back. (example game Tera)

Now i will give it 6 months and if i hate it the only thing i lost was the $15 i spent on it for the promotion.

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/

Life is back to normal.

But what feature does Win8 have that Win7 doesn't? The only reason I don't use XP is for DX10 and I skipped Vista because it wasn't well optimized. Win7 performs well and is stable. Why would I want to upgrade? I've seen plenty of people say they like 8 but no one can tell me what benefit they get over 7.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

You can always just download rocketdock and configure that to be your start menu.  No search function though so youll have to press the windows key n search that on metro o.o

Edit  : Have you tried mozilla portable?  Thats what I use and it doesnt hitch at all o.o

( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Originally posted by skeaser

Life is back to normal.

But what feature does Win8 have that Win7 doesn't? The only reason I don't use XP is for DX10 and I skipped Vista because it wasn't well optimized. Win7 performs well and is stable. Why would I want to upgrade? I've seen plenty of people say they like 8 but no one can tell me what benefit they get over 7.

Well i did read somewhere that windows 8 will have direct x 11.1 exclusive.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/13/microsoft-warns-gamers-directx-11-1-is-windows-8-only/

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

Originally posted by drgran

Life is back to normal.

Not really needed unless like..you needed the Ster 3D stuff.  But I mean seriously does anyone even use 3D monitors for their pc? o.O

( o.o)
    (")(")

Originally posted by Castillle

Life is back to normal.

Not really needed unless like..you needed the Ster 3D stuff.  But I mean seriously does anyone even use 3D monitors for their pc? o.O

Yah your right. but if they keep going like this when 12 comes out then it might be the same thing as 11.1

and good idea with rocketdock

ASUS G74sx
    i7 quad core
    16gb ddr3 ram
    3gb ram Nvidia 560M
    240GB SSD & 750GB

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'm a veteran IT systems/network administrator and I actually really like Windows 8.

Well, I should say that I have zero issues with using Windows 8 at home on my personal gaming PC.

I wouldn't yet recommend any of my clients to upgrade as the new interface does take some getting used to, also there are of course compatibility issues with propietary business-specific applications.

On tablet/phone it's really good, easy to use, functional etc.

But mouse/keyboard still has some minor annoyances to iron out.

The fact I can boot my home PC from cold to ready in under 10 seconds (on SSD) helps me like it a lot more :)

And I love my new HTC Windows Phone 8X.

Bot you don't think Microsoft want to put everything through an app store and make money like apple? You don't think Microsoft want to get a slice of markup on every pc game like they go xbox games? You don't think they would like a steady subscription stream like they get from xbox live?

It's not an anti Microsoft stance, its just the nature of corporations, they all want their customers moving to a steady subscription for a predictable revenue stream (e.g. utility companies), they all want to leverage their infrastructure to close people in. They all want to make as big a profit as possible.

Now as far as I'm concerned Microsoft and Sony can stick as much mark up as they want on their console ganesh as they own the platform and they build the consoles and sell them as a loss leader. But I build my pc, and no one sells me the components cheaper knowing they will make the money back later on software.

If it wasn't such a big deal, why are the likes of valve, cd projekt and others getting into Linux?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Microsoft surely knows that if they make Windows 9 into a closed platform, it will be dead on arrival as a replacement for Windows XP/Vista/7/8.  On the off chance that they don't know this, comparing sales numbers for Windows 8 versus Windows RT will sharpen the point for them.

If Microsoft presses ahead and makes Windows 9 into a closed platform, then most people will stay with Windows 7/8 for a while.  If Microsoft doesn't reverse course within a few years, then people will migrate away from Windows in large numbers.  At the moment, Linux is the most plausible alternative, but if Microsoft vacates the highly lucrative market for an open platform OS that runs basically all software and on basically all hardware, then someone else will step in to fill the void.

Right now, the potential competitors don't bother because they assume that even if they poured billions of dollars into it, they'd get a pittance for market share as compared to Windows.  But if Microsoft vacates the market, that changes in a hurry.

I'm not predicting that will actually happen, mind you.  Rather, Microsoft knows that it would happen if they decide to make all future versions of Windows into a closed platform, and that's why they won't do so.  Microsoft might make both closed platform and open platform versions of Windows 9, just as they've made both Windows 8 and Windows RT.  But they're not going to abandon open platforms entirely.  Broad software compatibility is the reason Windows caught on in the first place.

• KassinaKassina Member UncommonPosts: 29

Well lets be honest in few facts, M$ have no "direct" competition in the market, so everytime some1 buy Desktop or Laptop as to come with Windows, and like some of u said "its easy for M$ to make decision wich new Win 8 in this case, yes true might be easy but when "u" do not have competition in the market ofc the so called "decisions" are easy.

Until the day comes and some 1 as the balls to say: well M$ ur days are over from now on any other company can have or as the right in the market as well E.g Linux/Unix and few others out there, so as long M$ as the monopoly in the market they can do whatever they want and like and regardless "we" say Win 8 will or is fail or any other previous versions of the Windows.

Apple/Mac yeah but comparing them just the downside of being alot more "expansive" and ofc not every 1 can buy Mac/Apple :)

So as M$ "rules" the market for long time i seriously doubt they will stop in whatever they want or wish in every 1 or 2 years tops comes with new version of Windows and do not or stop the updates sooner por later in the old windows versions, obviously.

When a company such as M$ as almost 100% of the market worlwide they have the luxury in doing whatever they pleased, regarding if us the consumers like it or not, we simple have no "option" or at least the majority of the consumers they dont :)

If some of u really think M$ will care about people opinions regarding the Win is good or not, ur hugely mistaken bcoz of what i said above they do not give rats azz about it for sure like old saying: "ywhen you do not have food, you eat what you were given" :)

MS isn't stupid.

They know people use Windows at work, and Mac/Droid at home and mobile.

They want you to use Windows everywhere - hence Windows 8 and the FIRST Microsoft hardware in.. forever and a day.

They know people like how their iPhones and iPads all talk and connect to each other via iCloud and all that jazz.

They know people wish they could actually use these devices for business production rather than just content consumption.

They are aiming to fill that void.

Tablets and smartphones for business - fully integrated into your corporate networks.

Linux?

LOL

Life is back to normal.

Yah your right. but if they keep going like this when 12 comes out then it might be the same thing as 11.1

What will DirectX 12 offer that DirectX 11 doesn't?  Lots of minor tinkering around the edges, I'm sure.  But what else, that could convince game developers to actually use it?  Support for tessellation alternatives such as voxels or ray-tracing?  I think the primary barrier those face is intrinsic algorithm slowness for ray-tracing and unreasonably large memory requirements for voxels, not lack of API support.

Originally posted by BadSpock

They want you to use Windows everywhere - hence Windows 8 and the FIRST Microsoft hardware in.. forever and a day.

Except for keyboards, mice, Zune, Xbox... well, you get the point.

MS isn't stupid.

They know people use Windows at work, and Mac/Droid at home and mobile.

They know people like how their iPhones and iPads all talk and connect to each other via iCloud and all that jazz.

They know people wish they could actually use these devices for business production rather than just content consumption.

They are aiming to fill that void.

Tablets and smartphones for business - fully integrated into your corporate networks.

Linux?

LOL

I agree here. In scinece it is all MS all the time. The Surface tablets are getting looked at closely because they work the same as an MS desktop and there is no relearning to do.

Originally posted by Quizzical

Except for keyboards, mice, Zune, Xbox... well, you get the point.

Oh come on Quiz you know what I meant :)

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Life is back to normal.

What will DirectX 12 offer that DirectX 11 doesn't?  Lots of minor tinkering around the edges, I'm sure.  But what else, that could convince game developers to actually use it?  Support for tessellation alternatives such as voxels or ray-tracing?  I think the primary barrier those face is intrinsic algorithm slowness for ray-tracing and unreasonably large memory requirements for voxels, not lack of API support.

I'm predicting a push toward OpenGL in the next few years. OpenGL is currently faster than Direct3D on *ux and Windows and with Valve pushing a Linux Steam client with OpenGL rendering with NVidia doing driver work...well, why would devs want to go Direct3D anymore?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.