Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Hate

Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262

I don't play MO.  I haven't played MO since probably about 3 months after release and I wasn't happy about the state of the game.  I was wrong when I decided to promote Mortal Online and encouraged people to give it a try.  That being said, that amount of hate/anger/effort(whichever one applies)  in these forums directed at MO just astounds me.  I don't think I've ever seen people hate a company more or for close to this long a period of time.  Some of the people here were people I was arguing with around two years ago.  Do you not have better things to do by now?

So my question is, why?  Y Umadbros?

:)

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

I'm not one of the anti-MO posters (check my history if you want, I've been critical but don't hang around all day bashing the game).

For me the biggest complaint is the lack of professionalism. I knew things were bad when I got my limited edition jute bag and it was just...blah, crappy. Everything was poorly made and there were things missing...like the game client, and the book we were supposed to get was turned into a blank journal. From that point forward I quit believing anything Henrick has to say.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Perhaps some people want to help warn others of the poor business practices of Star Vault.  Maybe some people are tired of software developers acting like politicians and skirting the law.  Maybe some people simply are tired of being lied to again and again by Star Vault.

Why do you care?  Why does it bother you that people post here about one of the worst gaming companies enough to make you keep coming back to this site and reading the hate for two years?  Perhaps you could find the answer to your own question if you just look inside yourself... 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Talonsin

Perhaps some people want to help warn others of the poor business practices of Star Vault.  Maybe some people are tired of software developers acting like politicians and skirting the law.  Maybe some people simply are tired of being lied to again and again by Star Vault.

Why do you care?  Why does it bother you that people post here about one of the worst gaming companies enough to make you keep coming back to this site and reading the hate for two years?  Perhaps you could find the answer to your own question if you just look inside yourself... 

-That is some really deep shit... Nearly poetic.

And right on. =)

• ShyaticShyatic Member Posts: 41

If you look at my post history here I'm actually a very quiet poster who has been watching over months (and probably longer as an unregistered user) about the history of MO. I've been burned by games before, and I have seen this devolve into customers getting screwed, and the businesses getting away scott free.

The simple reason to state it is this: I don't want anybody to be burned by SV as they've clearly done, and continue to do. When this game came on the scene we had the CEO telling people to buy stock in the company (which people did), to buy the game before it was finished (to spur their development), and while they've gone through a whole host of broken promises and flat out lies in every broken patch cycle, they are back again with their hands out for "donations". 

Needless to say I will stay quiet for almost everything, but flat out unethical behavior isn't something I can tolerate, having gone through that with several games myself. And why, you might ask? Because when you allow one unethical company to pursue this course of behavior, you invite MORE unethical companies to do the same. And the goal, after SV finally shuts down is to ensure that their actions will not allow them to get a job on a game ever again.

• w4ffl3w4ffl3 Member Posts: 36
    As for me, it's mostly because I think Henrik is a snake oil salesman.  He keeps promising things he can't do, failing to meet deadlines he imposes, and just generally is an incredible failure of a manager.  It's justice in my eyes to see MO doing poorly
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Well I personally don't hate MO or SV. It' has more to do with what I think is valid criticism, combined with the ol' forum pvp and entertainment value of discussing nerdy, irrelevant stuff on the internet. SV is like a good comedy series, with a touch of tragedy to spice it up a bit.

At one point I actually liked the game and for the longest time I hoped it would improve. However, I got sick of all the empty hype and lies, of all the bullshit SV pulled and of the sect-like mentality in the community. SV is fueling a horribly failed amateur project on the naïve dreams of foolish sandbox enthusiasts who STILL thinks MO will become the game of their dreams some day.

The fanboys actually never seize to amaze me - imo it's much more bizarre to support SV at this point than to "hate" on them. Not to mention donating money to a publicly traded company who already charges you money for a sub-par product... It's baffling really.

I don't usually stoop to the "kool-aid" comments, but this company really deserves it. I'm pretty sure some of those zealots would kill kittens and puppies if Henrik told them it would help speed MO's development.

• IXBEARIXBEAR Member Posts: 27

I guess some ppl have valid point´s hating sv or mortal. I for one played pretty much evry mmorpg out there. Bought mortal at launch knowing i was buying a broken game evryone knew that pretty much. wich i choose for myself so shame on me i guess.

But even whit all its flaw´s it was the most fun Games i played and probaply wil be for a long time. Cause shit talk these guys all you want there´s not a single company stepping up and try too make something like mortal.

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    No one is shit talking, they are mainly giving their opinions and sharing their opinions. There are plenty of your posts on the MO forums talking about how you unsubbed in a rage over one reason or another bear. Some of us just have alil more sense as consumers and use this forum to warn potential customers an laugh at SV. This is how business works, you piss people of or provide bad service, then they let others know.
  • GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Originally posted by IXBEAR

I guess some ppl have valid point´s hating sv or mortal. I for one played pretty much evry mmorpg out there. Bought mortal at launch knowing i was buying a broken game evryone knew that pretty much. wich i choose for myself so shame on me i guess.

But even whit all its flaw´s it was the most fun Games i played and probaply wil be for a long time. Cause shit talk these guys all you want there´s not a single company stepping up and try too make something like mortal.

Been a member here for years and never seen a game hated as much as MO. I used to promote the game alot, I was so wrong. FTR there are a few companies trying to make a pure sandbox and all are looking better than MO and it's crappy devs.

I was subbed from BETA and just recently unsubbed due to Discord once again showing he has no idea how to run a game. Nearly every player left dupes and exploits and it's ignored by most GM's because most GM's are tied to certain guilds although SV claim they're not. They have one or two GM's that have been caught using GM powers to scout opposing guilds and are stil GM's ffs. Game is so broken and community left is so bad it's quite sad to see what a once promising game has become.

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262

For those of you suggesting I look inside myself, the posts show up on the main www.mmorpg.com page when people respond.  I saw one and clicked it, wondering what kind of drama was surrounding SV now.   Upon clicking, I saw very familiar names from two years ago.  This made me question the motivation behind those actions so I asked.  The immediate assumption that it bothers me shows alot about your method of drawing conclusions.  I'm just curious as to what motivated people to spend this much effort posting on the MO forums for years at a time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but me clicking a link and posting one thread and then responding to the replies seems a bit different then spending hours of time hating on a company that makes a game that you don't even play anymore.   While I understand your perspective and even your action of trying to turn the question around on me, it just doesn't make sense.  You're comparing apples and oranges, as it were.

It seems most of the responses are setting up a 'If I don't post about MO, someone else might end up being suckered into it!"  While SV's business practices leave a lot to be desired, I had a lot of fun playing MO for the small amount of time that I did.  Personally, I spend a decent amount of money just on food.  The hours of enjoyment I got out of learning a new game were worth the money I paid for the game.  The game was buggy and the devs didn't seem to know what they were doing so I left.  I didn't take it personal.  I dunno.  I guess we just have different perspectives. :)

Originally posted by ZekkCC
     The game was buggy and the devs didn't seem to know what they were doing so I left.  I didn't take it personal.  I dunno.  I guess we just have different perspectives. :)

Some of us had worse experiences, much worse. We have different experiences, which in turn leads to different perspectives. Hence a forum to discuss those experiences and perspectives. It seems (MO forums show this also) that the vast majority of people who've ever tried MO have quit with a bad taste in their mouth due to SV and GM's.

We're all here for our love of MMORPG's. MO is one of the first true sandbox games in a long while to try to recreate a UO type experience. They're failing badly and turning off a whole new generation and alot of new players in doing so. It's for the love of the genre not hate for a game that I think most here are vocal about warning people about MO.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

I was wrong when I decided to promote Mortal Online and encouraged people to give it a try. 

Having videos of the game in your sig seems to be somewhat contradicting to that statement, it is form of promotion.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I don't play MO.  I haven't played MO since probably about 3 months after release and I wasn't happy about the state of the game.  I was wrong when I decided to promote Mortal Online and encouraged people to give it a try.  That being said, that amount of hate/anger/effort(whichever one applies)  in these forums directed at MO just astounds me.  I don't think I've ever seen people hate a company more or for close to this long a period of time.  Some of the people here were people I was arguing with around two years ago.  Do you not have better things to do by now?

SoE is far more hated for what they did to SWG... I am going on like 7 years of boycotting any sony product.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Ahhh so your the SOB who sold me on this game! You owe me money PAL!!!!

Just kidding LOL

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    I am, or was, mad because based on the trailers and previews expected an awesome sandbox MMO but instead I paid full price for a buggy incomplete piece of turd. MO was the game which made me lose hope on indy companies and I have not bought a game from them since (also DF contributed to this).
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I am, or was, mad because based on the trailers and previews expected an awesome sandbox MMO but instead I paid full price for a buggy incomplete piece of turd. MO was the game which made me lose hope on indy companies and I have not bought a game from them since (also DF contributed to this).

That sucks man , but I know where you are coming from! Yet I don't understand why Darkfall Unholy wars is hyped SO High on this site despite how poorly the game was/is and how the devolpment studio treated their customers, I guess it must take awhile for people to realize when they got screwed.

At least you and I learned our lessons , but not ALL indies are like this though, some of them are very good.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Never played this game and never plan on playing it.  I just read this forum for the lulz.

That being said, I can certainly understand the hate just based on past actions and the behavior and attitude of the people that represent this company.  GM Theia is supposed to be one of the *good* guys there, and he really rubs me wrong with his posts here.  IMO he should change is avatar to Baghdad Bob.  The clincher for me never, ever giving this game a shot is the gall of a publicly traded company begging for money.  How effin pathetic is that? 

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by Yamota

That sucks man , but I know where you are coming from! Yet I don't understand why Darkfall Unholy wars is hyped SO High on this site despite how poorly the game was/is and how the devolpment studio treated their customers, I guess it must take awhile for people to realize when they got screwed.

At least you and I learned our lessons , but not ALL indies are like this though, some of them are very good.

darkfall has always had a constant stream of bots that promote their game on this very sight, at the dawn of SW TOR releasing its hype meter was only a fraction of Darkfall 1 which hadnt had an update in months, This was due to botting to promote darkfall and its started happening again.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• ltankltank Member UncommonPosts: 293

For those of you suggesting I look inside myself, the posts show up on the main www.mmorpg.com page when people respond.  I saw one and clicked it, wondering what kind of drama was surrounding SV now.   Upon clicking, I saw very familiar names from two years ago.  This made me question the motivation behind those actions so I asked.  The immediate assumption that it bothers me shows alot about your method of drawing conclusions.  I'm just curious as to what motivated people to spend this much effort posting on the MO forums for years at a time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but me clicking a link and posting one thread and then responding to the replies seems a bit different then spending hours of time hating on a company that makes a game that you don't even play anymore.   While I understand your perspective and even your action of trying to turn the question around on me, it just doesn't make sense.  You're comparing apples and oranges, as it were.

It seems most of the responses are setting up a 'If I don't post about MO, someone else might end up being suckered into it!"  While SV's business practices leave a lot to be desired, I had a lot of fun playing MO for the small amount of time that I did.  Personally, I spend a decent amount of money just on food.  The hours of enjoyment I got out of learning a new game were worth the money I paid for the game.  The game was buggy and the devs didn't seem to know what they were doing so I left.  I didn't take it personal.  I dunno.  I guess we just have different perspectives. :)

Don't even bother dude. They are too far gone and will just project their own motivations on to you and forum lawyer you to death to get your posts moderated. You cannot save these people from themselves.

Originally posted by ltank
    Don't even bother dude. They are too far gone and will just project their own motivations on to you and forum lawyer you to death to get your posts moderated. You cannot save these people from themselves.

You're defending a game which has been rated badly by any and all reviewers that have rated it and claiming the people who agree with the vast majority have motives, completely ridiculous. Not as ridiculous as claiming your posts are over moderated when speaking of MO in the same breath, the MO forums have more threads deleted, locked or edited than they do published.

There are facts and there is opinion, you seem to be confusing the two.

The people here do not need saving, they were here long before MO and will be here long after it's gone... nor are many looking for salvation anyway from my experience :D

• Cyde77Cyde77 Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Defo agree with op, Hercules and Inferno were going at it for a long time but I havent seen them in ages, but 2-3 years on since most of these people quit during beta or early release, theres still people here every day hating repeating the same old arguments (toferio!). MO suckysucks, move on.
    Originally posted by Cyde77
    Defo agree with op, Hercules and Inferno were going at it for a long time but I havent seen them in ages, but 2-3 years on since most of these people quit during beta or early release, theres still people here every day hating repeating the same old arguments (toferio!). MO suckysucks, move on.

Thats funny.

Thgose "arguments" would not be valid if MO and SV were not making the SAME mistakes- In fact, they continue to Top themselves and after 2+ years of release cannot put out a properly working Xpac even with an 8 month delay (and no patches or fixes during that entire time)

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

I am still lurking these forums, yes, they are both entertaining and I still want to see what will happen to MO. But do you see me starting threads on every fuckup SV makes? I dont even bother.

• Cyde77Cyde77 Member UncommonPosts: 101

Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Originally posted by Cyde77 Defo agree with op, Hercules and Inferno were going at it for a long time but I havent seen them in ages, but 2-3 years on since most of these people quit during beta or early release, theres still people here every day hating repeating the same old arguments (toferio!). MO suckysucks, move on.
    Thats funny. Thgose "arguments" would not be valid if MO and SV were not making the SAME mistakes- In fact, they continue to Top themselves and after 2+ years of release cannot put out a properly working Xpac even with an 8 month delay (and no patches or fixes during that entire time)  
    I think you misunderstood me. Im simply asking, why do you even care?

Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Originally posted by Cyde77 Defo agree with op, Hercules and Inferno were going at it for a long time but I havent seen them in ages, but 2-3 years on since most of these people quit during beta or early release, theres still people here every day hating repeating the same old arguments (toferio!). MO suckysucks, move on.
    Thats funny. Thgose "arguments" would not be valid if MO and SV were not making the SAME mistakes- In fact, they continue to Top themselves and after 2+ years of release cannot put out a properly working Xpac even with an 8 month delay (and no patches or fixes during that entire time)  
    I think you misunderstood me. Im simply asking, why do you even care?

Why do you care why he cares?

Why do you bother posting if you DONT care?

Why is this about him/us or anyone else other than SV and MO?

Why do we discuss MMORPGs or any other form of entertainment at all?

-If you do not like it and are not going to add to the discussion (instead trying to make it about people who post) stop clicking into this Forum.