Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to Play Restrictions list

Comments

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    Being able to play through the storyline 1-50 is like getting a great single-player RPG for free. Sure, you will be missing some nice-to-have features by getting it for free, but the point stands. If you want more of the game, and want to play the "MMO" version of the features, you have to pay. I'm not sure the MMO is worth it really, but the class storyline makes playing through at least once very much worth it.
  • PanthienPanthien Member UncommonPosts: 559
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    I assume prefered means having spent any amount of money?  I love that free to play can't even sprint :)

While I have no sympathy for dedicated freeloaders in this hobby in general (c'mon guys... it's an enjoyable hobby you spend a LOT of time in... cough up a little at least??), locking sprint of is as funny as hell.

What were they thinking?

If you bothered to actually DO look you would have noticed , you can train skill (for ingame currency) at lvl 15, like the game originally was released.

Someone else complained about not being able to use mounts, again you can use mounts, they lowered the lvl requirement for subscription players, so effectively, free players can obtain the riding skill at the original lvls.

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Yeah but if you have a problem, dont expect customer service to try and help you.. go read that FAQ and hope to god that there is an answer.. lol...   so... 'you can play, but we dont care about you unless you give us money'
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Panthien
    I assume prefered means having spent any amount of money?  I love that free to play can't even sprint :)

While I have no sympathy for dedicated freeloaders in this hobby in general (c'mon guys... it's an enjoyable hobby you spend a LOT of time in... cough up a little at least??), locking sprint of is as funny as hell.

What were they thinking?

If you bothered to actually DO look you would have noticed , you can train skill (for ingame currency) at lvl 15, like the game originally was released.

You are missing the point, or maybe (probably) I wasn't clear on it.

Showing this locked off, amongst other things, in this list is a PR disaster as far as this conversion goes.

First thing most people will look at (because, lets be honest most will not read deeper and will just laugh at the list) is what will shape their decision whether to return or not.

EA have given a terrible first impression to a whole load of people. Like I say... what were they thinking? 

Originally posted by Talgen
    Yeah but if you have a problem, dont expect customer service to try and help you.. go read that FAQ and hope to god that there is an answer.. lol...   so... 'you can play, but we dont care about you unless you give us money'

Well, in all fairness, why should they? You are not a customer yet after all.

They are already allowing you into their shop and giving you a free sample... what more do you really want? Handjobs?

Other then being a tad less conveniant, you still get help, you can contact support with your problem. Again if you actually bothered to look you would have noticed Free players can use the knowlage database AND web costumer service.

They are already allowing you into their shop and giving you a free sample... what more do you really want? Handjobs?

Wow, how....mature.... . .. .. .

But (based on your scenario) don't ask what the free sample is right?  Cause they gave us one, that's good enough.  We don't have the right to know what it is or why it's a free sample, huh?

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

It is indeed interesting to follow this,allways is,usually i hate it when games gets destroyed completely by free to play crowd but this time im going to enjoy it for some reason.

When they have lets say 10,000 subscribers and 90,000 free to play players,well what can they do.

Let's internet

Other then being a tad less conveniant, you still get help, you can contact support with your problem. Again if you actually bothered to look you would have noticed Free players can use the knowlage database AND web costumer service.

The web customer service support clearly says (FAQ's) not asking questions..  I read it.. did you?

What were they thinking?

Showing this locked off, amongst other things, in this list is a PR disaster as far as this conversion goes.

First thing most people will look at (because, lets be honest most will not read deeper and will just laugh at the list) is what will shape their decision whether to return or not.

EA have given a terrible first impression to a whole load of people. Like I say... what were they thinking? 

Im definately not missing the point, people complain you cant use X or Y without paying RL money! Which quite frequently isnt true.

The list shows everything but I agree its unclear because you have to mouse over the check boxes to get a small window to pop up to tell what the restriction actually is. And yes you are absolutely right the list IS a PR nightmare. people glance over the list and jump to conclutions. Having to mouse over check boxes makes things very unclear and user unfriendly.

Using Sprint as excample they should have made it :

feature : sub : pref : free

Spring : lvl 1 : lvl 1 : lvl 15

The web customer service support clearly says (FAQ's) not asking questions..  I read it.. did you?

Well yes, they arent Quest helper. But when you have an actual issue, like harrasment, missing items, broken quests etc etc, they can help.

So yes I DID read.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

But (based on your scenario) don't ask what the free sample is right?  Cause they gave us one, that's good enough.  We don't have the right to know what it is or why it's a free sample, huh?

Just pay 15 bucks a month if you really want to play. I say this every time..F2P is just a gimmick and yet people complain everytime a F2P model is launched. I thought players would be more smart by now and realise that.

No point complaining about this, because first of all it is EA and nothing is going to change. 

What were they thinking?

Im definately not missing the point, people complain you cant use X or Y without paying RL money! Which quite frequently isnt true.

I think maybe here, again, you have... you just think you haven't. Maybe you are just too deep into 'defend' mode to see it right now.

I am not disputing what is 'true' or not. I am saying that list gives a horrendous first impression to which a lot of people will just laugh at and say 'fuck that' as they walk away.

It's terrible PR. That's all I am really saying.

/shrug... mature is usually overrated.

Look... You have no rights but what they chose to give you. They don't owe you anything. You are not a customer and they have no contract with you.

sheesh... you freelaoders that think you have the right to complain about not being given enough make my head spin.

What were they thinking?

The list shows everything but I agree its unclear because you have to mouse over the check boxes to get a small window to pop up to tell what the restriction actually is. And yes you are absolutely right the list IS a PR nightmare. people glance over the list and jump to conclutions. Having to mouse over check boxes makes things very unclear and user unfriendly.

Using Sprint as excample they should have made it :

feature : sub : pref : free

Spring : lvl 1 : lvl 1 : lvl 15

I think maybe here, again, you have... you just think you haven't. Maybe you are just too deep into 'defend' mode to see it right now.

I am not disputing what is 'true' or not. I am saying that list gives a horrendous first impression to which a lot of people will just laugh at and say 'fuck that' as they walk away.

It's terrible PR. That's all I am really saying.

And I fully agree the way they formed the list does give a horid first impression. Its very understandeble that people asume when they see an unchecked box it means they dont get access to that feature, knowing how Swtor's site always loved the mouse overpop up window, I figured I had to mouse over to see what it actually means.

Its very user unfriendly.

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131

I have to agree.

If you didn't like SWTOR originally you didn't buy it.

If you don't like F2P SWTOR then don't play it.

I only have 1 gripe, the people who paid up front for the game and gotten a rough deal out of F2P, even preferred status is a bit rough. Having said that, until F2P I couldn't log in at all as I wasn't paying a sub, now at least I can check it out again.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

How long will it take them to remove the hotbar restriction?  My level 50 is unplayable because of this.  

Same issue here, My level 50 is also unplayable because of the new restrictions.  I tried to play a lower level I got to 10 but I was quickly reminded why I left the game.  I am going to wait a few days log on again, then make a final determination

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    that is disgusting. do they even play MMO's over there? do they not look at other F2P models? obviously seeing they lost shitloads of subs meant nothing to them, this will not bring people back, it will make people laugh even harder as they are walking away lol
    Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Free 2 play game is a Myth. At some point is like people want the same things that a P2P player, it wont happen. Same deal with Lotro or AoC, if you dont pay, you cant really play the game.
  • CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Free 2 play game is a Myth. At some point is like people want the same things that a P2P player, it wont happen. Same deal with Lotro or AoC, if you dont pay, you cant really play the game.

Yes i agree but seriously this F2P model is a joke, you get 10x more features in AoC and LoTRO than you do this, Look at Aion and L2 F2P you have full access, no restrictions what so ever.

The idea of this move was to bring people back not push them away and i think they killed it in the scaring people off department :)

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
    Originally posted by Robokapp

sheesh... you freelaoders that think you have the right to complain about not being given enough make my head spin.

It's free to play so they play for free. what's cofusing about that? Isn't that what it's called?

they only come to the game for the "free" part so why'd they pay in a free to play ever?

Because life is gonna be pretty rough for someone that takes every word and phrase they encounter 100% literally. 

Look, I don't support the F2P model at all, I am 100% pro sub, but I do accept as a reasonable human being that the care I recieve off a company is usually in line with what I pay them in one way or another. In this case the dedicated freeloaders pay nothing and yet still expect to be treated like they were valuable customers.

Thats what makes my head spin :/

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

It's free to play so they play for free. what's cofusing about that? Isn't that what it's called?

they only come to the game for the "free" part so why'd they pay in a free to play ever?

And you actually believe that? like i said in earlier post. Maybe i give too much credit to folks around here and thought that maybe they will be smart enough to realize that F2P is just a gimmick and more like an extended trial.

The 'free' part is still there but it is limited and works like a trial.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by hikaru77

WRONG.

You can play LOTRO completely free.

Its only true F2P game (along DDO) out of these "freemiums".

Learn that once and for all.

AND

If F2P is a myth DONT advertise it as such and the sulk over people laughing at free trial to 50 you have.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i dont see anything wrong with it  or the game . i will buy subscription next month 
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Whitebeards

And you actually believe that? like i said in earlier post. Maybe i give too much credit to folks around here and thought that maybe they will be smart enough to realize that F2P is just a gimmick and more like an extended trial.

The 'free' part is still there but it is limited and works like a trial.

games are business .they are not welfare companies .people need to take that into mind