Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of the game, worth playing ?

2»

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

if you are ST fan,you ll be dissapointed,it is only action sci-fi mmo game with ST in name

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Cacaphony

I'll pick this apart just to give a devil's advocate viewpoint.

STO is a fairly "meh" experience once you get into the meat of the game play. Nothing significant has really changed since your last play session. Oh, there are fleet starbases now that require ludicrous amounts of Dilithium to upgrade. The F2P model has made it even more of a "milk-the-player base model" in that anything useful is placed in the c store.

They've actually added several space 5-man missions, a whole new space sector w/ patrols and a zone alert event, and extremely large "planet" called New Romulus with lots of stuff to do, a new Borg STF (both ground and space) and I think a few additional 5-man ground missions associated w/ the Romulan/Tholian stuff.  Along with the reputation system.

C-store items seems to be what Cryptic considers content these days, as most of the additions to the game end up in the C-store or in a lock-box. I don't necessarily like how much they put into the C store in relation to what goes into the game for free. And tell me how trading Dilithium makes sense in the Star Trek world? You want actual story content with a point to doing it? Your best bet is foundry missions, which Cryptic seems to rely on more and more.

This was a fair argument when the game had a subscription.  As a F2P game, they are naturally going to make the cash-shop a focus.  You could  convincingly argue that STO has one of the most liberal F2P setups in the industry, putting nothing behind walls that you can't earn via pure gameplay and time.  And comparatively, that time input is not nearly as harsh as other F2P games.  There is very little in the game that requires you to open up your pocket, and the seasonal content they release is completely open to a F2P gamer.

The population would seem to be high as the sharded structure of the game presents the illusion of a high population by limiting the player cap in any one area. Sure, it looks like there are a lot of people playing because cryptic crams them all together in low population shard.

Completely irrelevant.  A 5k population on one server provides you just as much opportunity for grouping as a 20k population split up amongst 4 servers.  The server is extremely active, and finding groups to run content and fleets to hangout/work with is a cakewalk.

If you have an itch for space combat then this game is pretty good in that regard. If you want a genuine Star Trek experience, then look elsewhere. Cryptic has effectively ignored the point of Star Trek and what made it so appealing and important to the Sci-fi genre and has taken the IP to be used as an online store with a Star Trek skin attached.

Arguable the only thing that really keeps this game afloat is both the space combat & the Star Trek vibe.  I don't personally know anyone that has played the game longterm that isn't a bit of a Trek nutter.

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Bah. Guess I just wait til they made PVP more meaningfull. So I guess the endgame for now is to grind for better stuff more or less. Booooooooooooooooooooooring.
  • CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Draemos

Originally posted by CacaphonyI'll pick this apart just to give a devil's advocate viewpoint. STO is a fairly "meh" experience once you get into the meat of the game play. Nothing significant has really changed since your last play session. Oh, there are fleet starbases now that require ludicrous amounts of Dilithium to upgrade. The F2P model has made it even more of a "milk-the-player base model" in that anything useful is placed in the c store. They've actually added several space 5-man missions, a whole new space sector w/ patrols and a zone alert event, and extremely large "planet" called New Romulus with lots of stuff to do, a new Borg STF (both ground and space) and I think a few additional 5-man ground missions associated w/ the Romulan/Tholian stuff.  Along with the reputation system. C-store items seems to be what Cryptic considers content these days, as most of the additions to the game end up in the C-store or in a lock-box. I don't necessarily like how much they put into the C store in relation to what goes into the game for free. And tell me how trading Dilithium makes sense in the Star Trek world? You want actual story content with a point to doing it? Your best bet is foundry missions, which Cryptic seems to rely on more and more. This was a fair argument when the game had a subscription.  As a F2P game, they are naturally going to make the cash-shop a focus.  You could  convincingly argue that STO has one of the most liberal F2P setups in the industry, putting nothing behind walls that you can't earn via pure gameplay and time.  And comparatively, that time input is not nearly as harsh as other F2P games.  There is very little in the game that requires you to open up your pocket, and the seasonal content they release is completely open to a F2P gamer. The population would seem to be high as the sharded structure of the game presents the illusion of a high population by limiting the player cap in any one area. Sure, it looks like there are a lot of people playing because cryptic crams them all together in low population shard. Completely irrelevant.  A 5k population on one server provides you just as much opportunity for grouping as a 20k population split up amongst 4 servers.  The server is extremely active, and finding groups to run content and fleets to hangout/work with is a cakewalk.   If you have an itch for space combat then this game is pretty good in that regard. If you want a genuine Star Trek experience, then look elsewhere. Cryptic has effectively ignored the point of Star Trek and what made it so appealing and important to the Sci-fi genre and has taken the IP to be used as an online store with a Star Trek skin attached. Arguable the only thing that really keeps this game afloat is both the space combat & the Star Trek vibe.  I don't personally know anyone that has played the game longterm that isn't a bit of a Trek nutter.

Thank you for the response. I still stand by what I said, though you do present some decent counter points.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Dicehunter
    Played when it was pay to play and havent touched it since, i have a rule about not touching F2P :P , whats the population like, content ?

Not sure about the population but i think they damaged their reputation with too much focus on box keys in the store then content in the game. they are still using the foundry as their main source of entertainment additions.

the next content patch is coming soon adding romulans as the new rep faction grind. people are not happy because even with Stahls return they aren't getting romulans as a playable faction. 

They need to step it up and add two more playable factions to the game and update the game so they can seemlessly add quests for the purpose of leveling these factions since the klingons still aren't finished. OR even if they add the factions with the ability to make one after reaching level 25 on a fed that would be more of what the players requests would be.

They are struggling to fix the store. Some months ago they had an issue where an update erased people's purchases and they tried to sweep that under the rug and not address it publically. I would personally not spend any money on ships if i were you because there's always a change on returning and not seeing your purchases available in the future.

This combined with the only progression being instance style dungeons doesn't impress me that is of course unless you are in a guild with great resources and an already finished base station.

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by itgrowls

They are struggling to fix the store. Some months ago they had an issue where an update erased people's purchases and they tried to sweep that under the rug and not address it publically. I would personally not spend any money on ships if i were you because there's always a change on returning and not seeing your purchases available in the future.

This is not a new issue. Problems with the C-Store have been going on ever since they introduced it into the game.

See here and here.

Buyer beware with the C-Store. I encourage anyone buying anything from the C-Store take screen captures and whatever else they can do to keep proof of purchase. Cryptic/PWE refuses to provide any sort of confirmation or receipt system as proof of purchase. This is very intentional IMO.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Lahuzer
    I was thinking about giving the game another go. Haven´t played it at all since launch. But I wonder about the PVP. B4 it was just some meaningless matches here and there. Have the PVP gotten any real purpose yet? Like fighting over planets or something similar. My question is. How is the PVP these days?

Nope.  You usually have a fifteen minute wait to enter a match now and you have the risk of coming up against those that have a fully geared cash shop ship(pvp is p2w).