Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why doesnt every game just copy...

mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

swg crafting and ressource system?

i know i am exaggerating a little but for me its the best and the SYSTEM which made most sense, so why wasnt it copied just once?!

i am new to this forum, not a new reader, i am reading since years but i registered now just because i also want to share my opinions :-)

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by mistmaker

swg crafting and ressource system?

i know i am exaggerating a little but for me its the best and the SYSTEM which made most sense, so why wasnt it copied just once?!

i am new to this forum, not a new reader, i am reading since years but i registered now just because i also want to share my opinions :-)

What is the SWG crafting system like anyways? I always hear about how it was so "DEEP AND COMPLEX", but that on it's own is too vague a description.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

i only played pre cu, but the great thing was

ressource gathering, you had to find the best spots for best quality, excuse my english, i try to explain: (its long time ago since i played last time and i dont remember it exactly) ... for example you had a scanner for ore (ofc it wasnt ore :-) and you were running around with it anywhere in the world and the scanner showed percentages of the quality, for example 86 percent. you had to travel around to find the best spots and when you found one, there were other players who found it too. you then set some harvesters. this was some maybe not good explanation.

ok, now you got the ressources and for crafting it made a big difference whether you use 99 or 85 percent. cant remember the crafting in detail, but the system as a whole was great. and you never crafted useless stuff just to level up a skill.

a part of the system was the item decay and the player driven economy. you could have your own shop in the wilderness and put your armor and everything in the rooms for show.

not everything was great about that game, but that system was great, and kept me interested in just crafting and i am NO crafter at all, i hate it in other games!!!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Because according to some developers, no one wants to be Uncle Owen.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Sounds a lot like Firefall crafting / gathering to me.

I´m in the open beta weekend and I have been thumping a lot and scanning for resources with my scan hammer.

Totally awesome game, really. But only if you like FPS style combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA4JIfV3ZxU

this game kicks serious ***

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599
    I loved that in SWG I had to hunt for resources, plant my harvesters and come back to collect the stuff later.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

Originally posted by FromHell

I´m in the open beta weekend and I have been thumping a lot and scanning for resources with my scan hammer.

"similar" yes. but its the whole system together which made it great.

btw, strange game firefall, is it really that good? graphics are.... :-)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Because relatively few are interested in crafting. Furthermore, mechanics such as item decay are largely perceived as major inconveniences. Players not interested in game economy or crafting, will think of them as a nuisance. Also, what I've heard of it, it is quite grindy.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    SWG was great but Vanguards is not far away.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

ressource gathering, you had to find the best spots for best quality, excuse my english, i try to explain: (its long time ago since i played last time and i dont remember it exactly) ... for example you had a scanner for ore (ofc it wasnt ore :-) and you were running around with it anywhere in the world and the scanner showed percentages of the quality, for example 86 percent. you had to travel around to find the best spots and when you found one, there were other players who found it too. you then set some harvesters. this was some maybe not good explanation.

ok, now you got the ressources and for crafting it made a big difference whether you use 99 or 85 percent. cant remember the crafting in detail, but the system as a whole was great. and you never crafted useless stuff just to level up a skill.

a part of the system was the item decay and the player driven economy. you could have your own shop in the wilderness and put your armor and everything in the rooms for show.

not everything was great about that game, but that system was great, and kept me interested in just crafting and i am NO crafter at all, i hate it in other games!!!

That sort of resource gathering works for a Sci-Fi MMO but not for a Fantasy setting.  IMO theres nothng wrong with having a traditional node gathering system like WoW or GW2 and then coupling the SWG percentage to the smelting process would work.

As for the player own shop system, it gets used alot in F2P asian grinders and is not very well received in the west.  Auction houses are just so much better for quality of life issues.  I remember when Asherons Call started losing subscribers it became near impossible to find items and make money in its "player driven central marketplace system".  AH's is jsut so much more fluid and better IMO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

That sort of resource gathering works for a Sci-Fi MMO but not for a Fantasy setting.  IMO theres nothng wrong with having a traditional node gathering system like WoW or GW2 and then coupling the SWG percentage to the smelting process would work.

As for the player own shop system, it gets used alot in F2P asian grinders and is not very well received in the west.  Auction houses are just so much better for quality of life issues.  I remember when Asherons Call started losing subscribers it became near impossible to find items and make money in its "player driven central marketplace system".  AH's is jsut so much more fluid and better IMO.

imo too much convenience kills immersion

i would go with immersion but i know, most people prefer convenience. instant things. instant travel. instant dungeon. instant buying and selling. instant pvp, and mostly no penalties.

and the games you see out there are not that social anymore than past games... different crowd. the convenience soloist crowd :-)

a mmorpg should be about immersion and socialicing, and crafting/economy is an important part of that. btw, i dont like crafting at all!!!! i prefer pvp.... but swg got me interested. i even had a house and did roleplay and i am no roleplayer :-)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Firefall is gorgeous. The video doesn't do it justice. Of course, it's still in beta, so it's also gorgeously buggy and suffers from horrible pop-up issues on my machine. As in "entire mountains popping up twenty seconds after you bump into them". Still, it's a VERY good game, even in its feature-light beta state.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

A central element of SWG's resource system not mentioned - and absolutely crucial in my mind - was that resource locations, quality level, and outright availability always changed over time. This in some ways kept the game fresh. And heaps absolute shame on the static "node system" of today's on rails themeparks.

Originally posted by Scalpless

Firefall is gorgeous. The video doesn't do it justice. Of course, it's still in beta, so it's also gorgeously buggy and suffers from horrible pop-up issues on my machine. As in "entire mountains popping up twenty seconds after you bump into them". Still, it's a VERY good game, even in its feature-light beta state.

+1 for Firefall.

Amazing game, even in early beta with a lot of content missing which is yet to come.

The Return of ELITE !

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Because according to some developers, no one wants to be Uncle Owen.

That was the dumbest comment I ever heard. SWG allowed you to be anyone in the SW universe, not just Uncle Owen. Contrary to SW:TOR where everyone was the hero or villain. so you had houndreds of heroes and villains running around and saving the universe in  their own private bubble. Pathetic.

SWG was a superior game to SW:TOR in every possible way except visuals and other bling bling.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

+1 for Firefall.

Amazing game, even in early beta with a lot of content missing which is yet to come.

Honestly, SWG crafting is so many light years ahead of Firefall's that it's not even funny. You can not even remotely compare. Actually, Firefall's crafting, according to what I have seen so far in the betas, is extremelly simplistic: get blueprint, get mats, press button, item done.

With that I am not saying the game is bad. I am having fun with it, and I have hardly come across any bug so far. Not much content yet. but then it's still beta. However, crafting is not precisely its strongest point, specially if you compare it to something like SWG, VG or Ryzom.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I believe Ryzom copied it or maybe it was the other way around, but it did not help Ryzoms pop

In Firefall I like the gathering , haven´t tried crafting anything in fact I was just using the molecular printer

check out crafting in The Secret World

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri8740cBHUU

The Return of ELITE !

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Because relatively few are interested in crafting. Furthermore, mechanics such as item decay are largely perceived as major inconveniences. Players not interested in game economy or crafting, will think of them as a nuisance. Also, what I've heard of it, it is quite grindy.

I totally agree Quir not many are interested in crafting the way its implemented in todays games, good thing were talking about something different.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

SWG's was great, a combo of that, Asheron's Call tinkering system, as well as Horizons crafting style, are all 3 of my favorites for different reasons.  

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by gordiflu

+1 for Firefall.

Honestly, SWG crafting is so many light years ahead of Firefall's that it's not even funny. You can not even remotely compare. Actually, Firefall's crafting, according to what I have seen so far in the betas, is extremelly simplistic: get blueprint, get mats, press button, item done.

With that I am not saying the game is bad. I am having fun with it, and I have hardly come across any bug so far. Not much content yet. but then it's still beta. However, crafting is not precisely its strongest point, specially if you compare it to something like SWG, VG or Ryzom.

Well, it's not a crafting MMO, of course. It's a MMO class-based shooter with some stats and gear progression. Still, its gathering system seems to be quite close to what TC described. I also makes gathering a mini-quest instead of your typical, boring node farming.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Ryzom is where I place most my value in as far as pointing backwards to a deep crafting and skill system goes.

Notably referring to crafting in this case.

The most important aspect to me was crafting recipes were malleable, you could put a variety of materials in to change what the outcome of the stats would be on top of the item's quality.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    From what I've read the repopulation will have a very similiar system.