Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you likes MMORPG'S?

What Makes you play MMORPG'S?

Comments

• SONOFAGUNNSONOFAGUNN Member Posts: 414

This poll has been done...more than once.

There is a place on-site where you can review the old polls like this one

Witty saying to amuse you goes here.

• AdrealAdreal Member Posts: 2,087

Community is a very large part of the MMOG feel obviously. I like it in that you can, if you want, just run out in the middle of nowhere and come across a person even if you're not going to interact with them. It's still... reassuring, I would say, to see someone else in the world whenever you want to instead of seeing NPCs all of the time.

PvP is another plus. I rarely engage in it because I've got a roguish nature that conflicts with my morals. So I like it and I don't. I enjoy running for my life and killing or fighting someone who was the agressor to begin with. I would love it if I had a reason to kill another and steal their items, etc. such as RvR conflict, but I remain generally apprehensive yet mildly cordial in a PvP environment. Though I might rarely participate in it, open PvP is a big plus for me.

Everything on the list pretty much leads to Game Play, but I enjoy creative game mechanics and original thoughts.

Killing is another option I like in my MMOGs (it is needed for me to have fun - to risk my life). That's what risk is all about. People crave risk apart from their normal carefree lives because it thrills them. That's what I like about permanent death. People might not like risk to that extreme, but I do. The problem is, current games place too much emphasis on killing. You need to kill in every game to advance in society at a decent rate. I say offer almost as much experience gains (maybe 70% or so) for traveling in a wagon as a wandering merchant and selling your goods while practicing your tradeskills. Killing would only be needed for those trolls crossing your path or the wolves/coyotes trailing your wagon at night.

I don't really care about getting rich as long as there is an alternative for entertainment. See, I would love to be a dirt-poor monk dressed in simple robes but with great or uncommon powers (special innate magical talents or esteemed wilderness lore; maybe just a good personality which would then rely on the person behind the character). On the other hand, if I were just a normal player character, then I think I'd need to be rich to show off some cool armor or the like.

Get the players immersed into the story line. Make their decisions count. Not everyone needs to be a king (even if over an NPC kingdom). If I had a friend who was famous IG, that would suit me fine. If I had one moment of tremendous fame (maybe I strolled into a pc-controlled village and slew an ancient wurm that attacked each day), that would be fine by me. Then all the other moments of my life could be normal; I would have my story to tell. And even if I knew someone somewhat personally who did this, that would be good enough for me. My point is, and I know I digress, that if you make everyone a hero, it's not going to be fun any more. In this case, we tend to grade on a scale. There should be heros, esteemed lone merchants, valuable friends, loyal bright mail-clad soldiers, and so on, but there shouldn't all be heros. It's depressing that way; hardly fulfilling.

"Put your foot where your mouth is." - Wisdom from my grandfather
    "Paper or plastic? ... because I'm afraid I'll have to suffocate you unless you put this bag on your head..." - Ethnitrek
    AC1: Wierding from Harvestgain

• Flatline_187Flatline_187 Member Posts: 12

For me when it comes to MMORPG's Game Play has to have alot of depth, good story line, alot of options when it comes to class/race/phyical apperance, and good smooth grapics. PvP is a biggy, all classes/races must be even is some way, I love team based pvp, X-teaming is in some way immposable. Community is not really important to me, fuck everyone else ... if you play long enuff and put a good ammount of time into the game your gonna run into good people..I like games that are hard and you have to earn what you get. A good game that has all of these featurs was Everquest from the Classic up to Plains of Power. Every Expantion after that, Everquest has gone down hill, I Quit Everquest and i am still on the look out for a good MMORPG.

Lineage 2 look really good .. gonna give it a go.

• codexiacodexia Member Posts: 120

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why I like them.  They're just fun =/

It's weird, you would think I know why...

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Gameplay options.

1- I can group (cooperation come here).

2- I can solo.

3- I can progress for a long long time (competition is included here, although not at the expense of reason 1 and 2).

If a MMO change the can for must or can't, they lose points...a lot of points.  Those 3 reasons come in that precise order, on a ratio of something like 50-30-20.  The 20 dont need a huge diversity, but it is the extra points that are extremely hard to get, since to qualify for them you need to qualify in the first reasons.  The solo system in a MMO is nearly pointless if the grouping is not nice.  But it does matter...a LOT (30% is a lot, if you start with 0 like FF, or 2 like EQ, it is hard to catch on the others aspects)

EDIT: Raiding and PvP are no consideration for me, as long as they don't come into my road...so a game like DAoC who have both hindering my fun is at a huge disadvantage.  Tradeskills are annoying, but I can bear it to some extend (unlike PvP and Raiding which both reach a 0 tolerance, no idea if tradeskills will reach a 0 tolerance 1 day or not, raiding use to have some tolerance points back in my old days of EQ, but they drop all the way to 0, and they can't be restored it seem).  CoH, pre-Hamidon was great grouping, great solo, decent progression...neither raiding, PvP nor tradeskills where hindering my fun.  The Hamidon and the solo nerf seriously destroy CoH for me.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• lex-icon82lex-icon82 Member Posts: 232

Well I'm a big fan of games like Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's gate.. I love playing them but I always feel very lonely moving around in the game world. That's why I like mmorpgs so much, it's like playing a crpg and you're never alone!

I particularly love Everquest 2 because the game is so deep and solo friendly that it feels like a classic computer role playing game with all the wonderful aspects of multiplayer. There's just so many things to do it's hard to get bored or feel like you're wasting time.

Ultima Online was a great game too, possibly the most complex I've ever seen.

Have played:
    UO, WOW, COH/V, EQ2
    Currently playing:
    Age of Conan (EU)

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

I agree with Anofalye 100%, especially on the concept that PvP and raiding should not reward those players who participate in that form of gameplay to the point where they become more powerful in PvE and non raiding situations above non PvPers and soloers. That of course would dictate a bias towards a particular form of gameplay over another, and most of us players understand that no form of gameplay is superior, only a matter of preference. There are many ways that players who prefer raiding and PvP can receive advantages and rewards that would not influence their power in PvE and regular soloing/grouping situations.

I am a big crafting/tradeskill/manufacturing fan so do want those options available in a MMOG, and as primarily a soloer, it is mandatory that I be able to make the best items my tradeskill has to offer as a soloer. I would therefore need access to all ingredients required as a soloer including mob drops and harvesting of areas infested with high level mobs. I expect it to be difficult to acquire those ingredients and invest more time as a soloer to achieve my goals because I may have to level multiple characters on the same account in order to create alts to furnish ingredients created by other tradeskills, but nevertheless I must be able to solo my chosen craft 100% without dependency on others.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• Nimrod4154Nimrod4154 Member Posts: 864

Community. I can play a boring game as long as there is a good community behind it.