Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

great on paper...horrible in reality

Comments

• LordAnubisLordAnubis Member Posts: 112

I dont agree the 2005 E3 vid was poor at best but since then there has been 7 months of beta and graphical enhancment not to mention new shaders added to give more realalistic apperance.

While i do agree its not the best looking game out i also belive the screenys dont do it justice but hey wait a month and we will see for our selfs

• kagdakagda Member Posts: 85

geez, i like how all the people post crap about DnL and dont read any of the news about, for example, when they said NP3 and SnailGames are partnering up, and snail games is gonna do the modeling/etc.... Graphis are hardly anything to judge a game by... look at EQ, shitty graphics, but it used to be THE #1 MMO, and tbh the graphics for WoW arent that great, personally im not into the cartoony style, so im a bit bias...

like Anubis said, its not the best graphics out there, but its definatly better then a lot of the other games, except for maybe EQ2, and *wow - if u like those types of graphics* there arent really any other mmo's out right now who can compete for graphics.

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

• lonewolf1980lonewolf1980 Member UncommonPosts: 89

not to offend anyone cuz i do agree with the topic. The features of D&L sound great so far, but to me the graphic and designs look horrible. The dragon looks like whale with wings, the characters and armors look so ugly. I think D&L should fire their current artist designers and redraw everything with better graphic. I have been a follower of D&L for over 1 year now, this game have almost everything i want in an mmorpg. D&L will be the next IT game. Why can't we have some armor like this?

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=331192

ps: i was an armorsmith in swg and i was hopping to make some armor in D&L again, but after i saw the armor screenshots of D&L. i don't want to be an armorsmith anymore.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

i do agree the charecter models do look like crap from what i have seen (some of them)

but also you give a link to another forum...who cares? what makes that post any different than all the other negative hype ones we get here? that dosent sum up anything heh

ya we will see for ourselves soon....so all the negavive and positive hype bs goes out the window.

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

Originally posted by lonewolf1980

not to offend anyone cuz i do agree with the topic. The features of D&L sound great so far, but to me the graphic and designs look horrible. The dragon looks like whale with wings, the characters and armors look so ugly. I think D&L should fire their current artist designers and redraw everything with better graphic. I have been a follower of D&L for over 1 year now, this game have almost everything i want in an mmorpg. D&L will be the next IT game. Why can't we have some armor like this?
    ps: i was an armorsmith in swg and i was hopping to make some armor in D&L again, but after i saw the armor screenshots of D&L. i don't want to be an armorsmith anymore.

http://www.darkandlight.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=37screen shot of player model/armor

the graphics are far from horrible, just open up that link above, and a link from EQ1, or SWG or even DAoC and compare the quality of graphics... i personally strongly disagree about the dragon, i think it looks rather authentic, espcially in the Ingame footage movies... i dont know if u read much about armor crafting system DnL will implement, but i suggest you read some info on it before jumping to conclusions about not wanting to be an armor smith, based just on the fact that in some screen shots armor looks bad........ i do agree that the graphics/armor/models are no the best comparing to all the games out right now. but they are also not the worse *far from it* .... i know this post sounds like im a fan boi of the game.... i guess i am in a way, but i try to look at everything from a unbias perspective, but i dont think that will ever happen to anyone lol....

EDIT: the picture i posted if u notice, was taken by a beta tester...

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

I just find it sad that since all of the MMO's out there are so similar to eachother we have to compare which one we're going to play based solely on graphics.  What happened to content, community, and gameplay?  I say who cares if a dragon looks "authentic" or if it looks real.  EQ2 looked very real, but the game's feel when playing sucked (imo). *end rant*

I think this game is doing one good thing, and that's the server cluster idea and having everyone play in the same universe.  (no sharding or seperate servers).  An idea that was done by CCP when making EVE Online, and has worked for them beautifully.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• nubbinsnubbins Member Posts: 245

zomg alert teh NDA police !

ive "tested" DnL now for 3-4months

and i've got to say the graphics / models / combat animation / UI are to frame it in the best of light sub-par

I like many of you eagerly awaited this game to go retail , it promised many changes to the stagnating mmorpg genre. But in all candor this game on the issues stated above are about on par with that of horizons when it was first released , which to sum up is "not good". Sure you can say its still in closed beta but for how long can u "fanboys" protect this game with the veil of "beta" ? i for one will not be paying for the game after release if its still stuck in the beta stage of its development , something i learned all to well with Horzions. However with that said i truly hope this game gets it act in gear so that it may benefit the mmorpg genre in general an other mmorpg devs will look to DnL as an example and not WoW or worse even still GW (yes im aware GW is technically not a mmorpg)

In conclusion if DnL were to have an open beta i would be one of the first to participate , but i must express my growing concerns over this game. I really hope this game turns out better than i fear it will. Thank you for you time

God among men

"Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription.. is more cowbell!"

- Christopher Walken
  • lonewolf1980lonewolf1980 Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by kagda

Originally posted by lonewolf1980

http://www.darkandlight.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=8&pos=37screen shot of player model/armor

the graphics are far from horrible, just open up that link above, and a link from EQ1, or SWG or even DAoC and compare the quality of graphics... i personally strongly disagree about the dragon, i think it looks rather authentic, espcially in the Ingame footage movies... i dont know if u read much about armor crafting system DnL will implement, but i suggest you read some info on it before jumping to conclusions about not wanting to be an armor smith, based just on the fact that in some screen shots armor looks bad........ i do agree that the graphics/armor/models are no the best comparing to all the games out right now. but they are also not the worse *far from it* .... i know this post sounds like im a fan boi of the game.... i guess i am in a way, but i try to look at everything from a unbias perspective, but i dont think that will ever happen to anyone lol....

EDIT: the picture i posted if u notice, was taken by a beta tester...

Maybe u missed the point of the argument, i fully understand about the concepts of armorcraftting in D&L, and all of D&L features. I just agree that the graphic of this game is horrible, this including the character design ( from all the screenshots i saw, all the character models look like a bunch of homeless ). After i saw your screen posted i still think it look like crap ( thank for the pic ) i still refer these kind of graphic/designs

I still think they should fired their current artist designers and redraw everything with better graphic. The dragon still look like a whale with wings, where are the dragonscales that armorsmith used to make armor? if all the dragons just like in their screenshots.

The bottom line is that i really like D&L and i have been a follower for over 1 year, it just sux to see a game with so much potentials and look so ugly.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Well as usual I have to add my 2 coppers worth here

The game has been in development for a long time. at the time they started development their graphics were state of the art, sadly that is not the case anymore

Graphics do not make the game, I am replaying KOTOR right now, after Farcry, EQII, Half Life II etc the graphics are not all that but the game itself is still excellent

Graphics can be updated

Graphics are a trade off, you want one big server, a huge view distance and no zoning. Well something has to give then. In programming you never get something for nothing, there have to be trade offs.

I am more interested in the game play, if that sucks then the game could be a holo deck and once the novelty wore off I would be bored. Good gameplay trumps crappy graphics, and conversely great graphics cannot make up for crap gameplay.

I miss DAoC

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by turkeybound

this about sums it up sady..
    http://vnboards.ign.com/Dark_and_Light/b22601/91583509/?17

Pretty sad when someone has to post a link to a topic on another website's forum and can't offer an opinion themselves. Trolling at its finest. Take a walk, chicken hawk.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

this about sums it up sady..

Great on paper and horrible in reality huh?

Reality. So you've played DnL for many, many hours yourself huh? You know how horrible this game really is in reality eh?

Look turkeybound or Mourning fan or whoever you really are, out of the tens of thousands of posts about Dark and Light available on the internet, you choose a few of the very small percentage of negative ones and make that your "reality" of what DnL will be huh? Of the posts you quoted, also not a single one of them has played the game either.

I know all you little kids out there and people who don't know better think that a game with good graphics is bound to be great and bad graphics = crappy game....

But that is infact not the "reality" of video games these days at all.

I can guarantee you that when you buy all your Playstation, Xbox, and PC games, that if you only judge a game on how good the graphics look to you on the back-of-the-box screenshots, then you will surely miss out on some of the best damn games you've obviously never played.

Graphics help, sure. But graphics don't have to be top of the line to mean a top of the line game.
    Graphics doesn't equal fun. Graphics doesn't equal game depth or innovation.

If you think Dark and Lights graphics are so horrible, for crying out loud don't ever go play a classic game like "Asteroids", or "Pac-Man", or "Galaxian", or "Tomb Raider", or "Lemmings", "Earthworm Jim", "Spy vs Spy", or any of those other horrible, no fun games that have been selling millions of copies for years and years. And for certain, Ultima Online was released in 97. And oh man the graphics wasnt even 1/20th as good as Dark and Lights, so Ultima Online must have soooo sucked right???

MMO games like Ultima Online and Asherons Call (1) and Everquest (1) have crappy graphics by todays higher standards, and even compared to that of what Dark and Light looks to have. But all three of those games will outlast 95% of these newer, shinier, graphically superior mmos due to something called game depth, innovation and mainly "fun".

In other words, you keep seeking those dates with only those perfect 10 blondes with the perfect 10 bodies out there, and meanwhile I'll have a helluva lotta "fun" with an inner-quality "6" or a "7" while you are bored to death as your "10" blonde looks aimlessly into the sky and looks confused at every blonde joke you tell her.

I hope you understand me. Probably not though because I didnt put my response in some really pretty picture for you to look at. ::::39::

- Zaxx

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Well just speaking for myself I am not expecting too much in November. Tthey did not decide to do this six month open beta because the game is a WoW killer right now. I am fully expecting it to be pretty rough for the first few months and sparse on content, maybe by April it will be ready for prime time. Only time will tell on that.

I miss DAoC

• stone-seraphstone-seraph Member Posts: 376

i like many SNES games better than ps2, xbox, whatever games. Dont measure the calibur of a game by how many polygons are rendered per scene, but how fun it is. A concept all too lost in this genre.

Make of it what you will.

• flaviorflavior Member Posts: 12

Well gfx is not that important of course, but it helps, and the quality of movement, the realism of AI, etc etc...

For sure DnL is THE game for me if all the features they announce are really in and working, it is THE game for me if the quality of gfx etc are at the scale of what i can find on DAOC or Lineage 2 etc (yes i know it's totally different, but i'm talking about the quality).

But I'm afraid all this will be still in our dreams....

I will be their in november and then we will see :)

I really wish the best to this game and hope NP3 did a great work.... with AD and G. Gygax as game master we could have something great in this game :)

if you expect this game to be perfect in november....its safe to say you will be disapointed.

if you want to play a finished product you better just wait untill the april release.

but for people that actually want to help build the game from the ground up, i will see ya in sog ::::28::

btw anybody that judges a game simply by screen shots is a dumb ass, besides the graphix are sweet from what i have seen....charecter models need help from what i can tell tho.

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 505

I played Shadowbane and enjoyed it. Those graphics are nearly 1000x worse and far more annoying. Now I really dont see how DnL is that bad. I think the combination of the scenery and characters makes it look great. They are working on animations with motion capturing so that issue will be thrown out the window. They improved character models and are proably improving them further.

Realize that they cant be to great considering the size of the map and no loading zones. I also want to be able to see more than 100+ people on my screen. If you want them to have worse gameplay and more lag then by all means keep whining. Im happy with how they are.

• turkeyboundturkeybound Member Posts: 32

"Reality. So you've played DnL for many, many hours yourself huh? You know how horrible this game really is in reality eh?"

Ya actually I have. My brother had the beta installed for a while but uninstalled it because it's a worthless POS right now. I don't know how it will be when its 100% done but right now its pointless. Theres no content or gameplay and the world is completely empty..

DAOC has everything this game is supposed to have but doesnt and doesnt look like it ever will.. daoc only took 2 years to finish. This game is 4 years old and still a good 12 months form actually being anything.

"Reality. So you've played DnL for many, many hours yourself huh? You know how horrible this game really is in reality eh?"
    Ya actually I have. My brother had the beta installed for a while but uninstalled it because it's a worthless POS right now. I don't know how it will be when its 100% done but right now its pointless. Theres no content or gameplay and the world is completely empty..
    DAOC has everything this game is supposed to have but doesnt and doesnt look like it ever will.. daoc only took 2 years to finish. This game is 4 years old and still a good 12 months form actually being anything.

you are comparing the time it takes to make dnl vs daoc? well since you have played dnl you would know that the dnl world is like 100x bigger than daoc when it was first developed. you can say that dnl is going to suck for whatever reason, sorry to tell you....but no game to date will be anywhere near the size of dnl's land mass and ya it might take a little longer to make ::::12::

pluss you have to remember that the team making this game isnt a huge company, so ya...it might be a while. so go ahead and keep judging games for the amount of time it takes to make them.... makes sence to me ::::07::

btw im not saying this game is going to be all that, just have some common sence and patience and wait to see for yourself what the finished product will be like.

• MichkeMichke Member UncommonPosts: 106

1. had the beta installed for a while, when and define "a while", is many many hours for you more then 2 hours? How can you say right now if the client isn't even installed anymore ?

2. If he had a beta client installed I doubt him to expect it to have the same content as in a full version. If he uninstalled it, that's sad. Why subscribe to be a betatester if you don't want to test ?

3. The world is empty because it's a CLOSED, which means limited number of people, beta test. Combine that with the factor of a huge land mass I think population should be around 0,5 per square mile. Once SoG comes out you can judge if the world is filled or not.

Taken directly from Mythic's website :

Mythic celebrates 10 years as online gaming pioneer
    October 2005 is not only the 10th anniversary of Mythic Entertainment but also four years since the successful release of Dark Age of Camelot. We're pleased to be able to post for the first time a brief historyof the company and the 15 online games that bought us to where we stand today. We look forward to many more years of creating online games including our upcoming WarhammerMMORPG. To celebrate Mythic sponsored the 10-4-10 sweepstakes. Checkout the list of winners here.

That's just to illustrate that NpCube is working on it's first game while Mythic had released over 10 titles including another mmorpg, meaning they have more experience in developping games and probably have more resources to do so, I don't feel like looking through 2001-2005 company records to find the exact numbers. It's not a good 12 months of being anything, it's a good month from being something you can play for free. You can't compare apples with plums. If you took the time to read up on both games you'ld know DAoC doesn't have everything DnL promisses to offer.

On a final note, you don't need to warn us of how bad the current state of the game is, we will be able to experience it for ourselves without having to pay for it. If ever I'm disappointed by what is comming out of SoG I'll let you know.

-

• mepectonmepecton Member Posts: 2

[quote]Originally posted by lonewolf1980
    [b]not to offend anyone cuz i do agree with the topic. The features of D&L sound great so far, but to me the graphic and designs look horrible. The dragon looks like whale with wings, the characters and armors look so ugly. I think D&L should fire their current artist designers and redraw everything with better graphic. I have been a follower of D&L for over 1 year now, this game have almost everything i want in an mmorpg. D&L will be the next IT game. Why can't we have some armor like this?
    [url=http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=331192]
    ps: i was an armorsmith in swg and i was hopping to make some armor in D&L again, but after i saw the armor screenshots of D&L. i don't want to be an armorsmith anymore.[/b][/quote]
    Hahahahahahahahahaha , posting a L2 pic thats the best ive seen in a while ( to compare graphics )

1. L2 need a heavy machine to run proper
    2. The game is only 1 thing , well 2 things >> lvl and grinding the day after same ect.

but yes the L2 graphics are very nice, but thats about it so dont compare a nice story game with L2

• LowraLowra Member Posts: 21

totaly agreed whith last post

Playing:
    waiting for new goodie ^^

• turkeyboundturkeybound Member Posts: 32

"....but no game to date will be anywhere near the size of dnl's land mass and ya it might take a little longer to make "

Who cares how big a world is if theres nothing to do in it.

It's easy to generate huge worlds but not easy to fill them up with stuff.

Asheron's call also has a HUGE world..biggest one out there.  much bigger than anything thats even needed.. and most of it is empty useless space..

"....but no game to date will be anywhere near the size of dnl's land mass and ya it might take a little longer to make "
    Who cares how big a world is if theres nothing to do in it.
    It's easy to generate huge worlds but not easy to fill them up with stuff.
    Asheron's call also has a HUGE world..biggest one out there.  much bigger than anything thats even needed.. and most of it is empty useless space..

umm....ya my point was its going to take longer to develope this game than it would be to develope a game like daoc? you proved my point when you said "It's easy to generate huge worlds but not easy to fill them up with stuff."

again you compaired the time it takes to make a game like daoc to a game like dnl witch will need tons more content to fill up their world. oh and btw....you do know the game is more than six months away from retail right? just making sure ::::40::

• ElarraElarra Member Posts: 1

Maybe I'm in the tiny minority, but I really don't care if the graphics are bad or not.  That's so unimportant to me that it wouldn't even make my top 10 list of things important for an MMORPG.

First off, if a person says his in beta and then tells you the game sucks, to me at least, that cant be trusted...... i can say im in beta and everything that guy just said there isnt true, in fact its the opposite, you know what i mean?.... anywho. what you also have to remember when comparing this game to others, is that its not only bigger then any other mmorpg out there, in fact none come even close to half the size of dnl, but the important thing to remember is that DnL will be on 1 server.....
    EDIT: 1 server means a whole new server cluster technology will have to be developed for this game.

As far as Gnom saying his in beta and not liking the french chat, to me thats just more insipartion to play the game, i think it will be much better to have 1 server game with people from all over the world playing it, much more realistic to me... also that might force some of you to get off ur lazy bums and learn at least some words in another language....

One more thing about that guys beta post thing: This game is in beta, he even said so himself, its not supposed to be "playable" ... a lot of people are playing the beta games and forget that, the beta is exactly what it is, a beta, its not sopposed to be playable, its sopposed to be there to help developers test the game..........

One final thing, I am NOT in beta, but i did go to e3 and i did play the E3 version they had there and it was far from empty, in fact they were running events during the actual show, which i thought was very interesting... and unlike all these other people who say they beta tested but have no way of showing it, i welcome you all to go to the DnL gallery, click on E3 2005 and u will find me in a couple pictures there (im the one holding the sign upside down)

Okkkkaaayyyyyyyyyyyy

This discussion has been closed.