Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of a fanboy, or why one fan is semi-quitting the game

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

What i really wish is that so many people like the OP would realize that they are not in fact MMO players and basically stop playing them.  The reason the MMO industry is in the state it is is because of a huge influx of non MMO players playing MMOs and then bitching/pissing/moaning until the developers changed them to be more like single player rpg's.

Everyone starts somewhere, or, as an existing gamer, turns into roads that are dead-ends.

People that played MMORPG's in the good 'ol days know what makes longevity (or they think they do).  The OP is on a road to self discovery, no need to chastize the person.  Let them find it for themselves, wherever that may lead.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by bcbully

You hit the major reasons why a lot of people quit including myself. 

It looks like this for me DF:UW>Neverwinter>Teso while playing PS2 to pass the time and droping in to TSW here and there while it grows. 

ot- Geez dude why were so ...rude to us that have said we feel the same about the same things?

It happens here all the time.  I got reported, flamed, insulted etc. for being open about my feelings for the game.  People get all caught up in the hype like a heroin addict shooting up for the first time in a while. 

P.S. I don't even know how many people will see this post as so many told me they "blocked" me from their views.  Lol.

Don't you love how they have to tell you they blocked you, like you would lose any sleep over it.

As to the original post, I am not even 80 yet with my main, and already find that your post echoes much of how I feel. It is a great disappointment. I want to like, even love this game, but it starts burning hot, new and generated some enthusiasm from me. Fast forward a couple of months, I am level 70ish and I still feel like I am playing exactly the same game as I did in the beginning. Being level 70 feels the same as being level 10, and going back and forth has made even that part of progression feel meaningless to me.

People may say that I am playing it wrong, that I should be playing for fun. Problem is, the game just *isn't* that fun anymore, not to me anyway.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

What i really wish is that so many people like the OP would realize that they are not in fact MMO players and basically stop playing them.  The reason the MMO industry is in the state it is is because of a huge influx of non MMO players playing MMOs and then bitching/pissing/moaning until the developers changed them to be more like single player rpg's.

Ok, so someone being a little burned out means they are not MMO Gamers? Please clarify what makes the OP and people like the OP Non-MMO Gamers.... because to be entirely honest I agree with OP on many points, and I have not found a MMO to suit me in some time. Yet it has more to do with the current MMO's on the market moreso than me not being a MMO Gamer.

So Please, if you are going to make such broad sweeping statements, feel free to elaborate and enlighten us.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

@Zylaxx IMHO, you made a big mistake buying GW2 if you taught that the PvE would make you play non stop for a couple of months. If you don't play any PvP, gw2 will become boring very quick. Sure atm the sPvP isn't the best because there's not a lot of maps and modes and the WvW isn't really stable because of all the server transferts, but it won't stay that way. You might find your style in Neverwinter, but I doubt TESO will fit your taste, as it will surely be focused a lot of the RvR.

@Karteli About the social aspect, for me, saying things like "we need tools or social structure" is really nonsense. What does it even mean? What kind of tools or social structure that other MMO's have that GW2 would need? It should be to the players to decide these kinds of things, not some in-game tools. Sure the game let you play alone without any group and you aren't punish, but it also doesn't prevent you from grouping. The problem doesn't come from the game at all, its the players and yet people don't even realise this.

About the class being rather bland, I agree to an extend. PvE wise, sure it is compared to most MMO but PvP wise, I think its needed to have a good overall balance. When you give too many choices to the players, it always create too many imbalances, people are starting to whine and the pvp start to suck. Sure its fun to be able to have 5-6 differents builds that are viable PvE wise, but PvP wise, it always resolve around the same 2 builds. Also, saying no one is important is true for the PvE and completely false for the PvP.

People should stop seing GW2 as a PvE game and realise that some of the "flaws" of the game comes from the players themselves and not the game.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by remyburke
    For me, it took the removal of the trinity to make me realize how much it's needed in a themepark MMO. Dungeons in GW2 are a fucking mess.

I only did AC story mode once and I am still recovering from the PTSD of it....are they all that bad?  I have been toying with trying one again.

Nope msot of them are very easy, you jsut got to pick the right path to do.  Still alot of the encounters are nothing but a rez, release and return zerg strategy but not to the extent that AC was.  CoF is the easiest and can be ran with no deaths on a certain path.

Why such a lazy design?  Absolutely the worst thing you could do to the dungeon experience.

That's what happen when you play in PuGs or with people who doesn't know how to play or even learn how to properly do the dungeons. No offense but it's the truth. Its not the design that is lazy but the players. Some dungeons can be very challenging if you don't use this stupid "strat" of rez, release and return. I bet that most of the players don't even know how to use the combo mechanics properly.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

[mod edit]

A theme park is a theme park...and theme parks are only going to last you a couple months.This is why I lol'ed when people were saying they were going to make GW2 their home for years to come.

People overhyped themselves soo much for this game that some are still crash landing till this day..

If you learn to control your personal hype level,you'll be able to land on your feet.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I've never done a review post, but this is the same boat I've been in for a while now.  I still have some pretty high praise for GW2, but as an MMO, it lacks the longevity that really makes this genre worthwhile.

People say that maybe this is exactly how it's supposed to be, because we're not 100% gone.  We'll still keep it installed, check out updates and events now and then, etc.. problem is, this leaves the gameworld deserted.  I don't care what their payment model is, an MMO with an empty gameworld is just not going to do well.  Lots of people might check it out, but not many are going to spend another dime on it, if it just seems like a bleak wasteland of NPCs fending for themselves.

MMOs need strong active populations, and this is where GW2 is failing.  Not everyone sees it, yet.  I don't know if they just haven't taken a good look recently, have their heads in the sand, or what.. but seriously.  Give it a few months.  ANet needs to do something ASAP, because before too long, too many of us will be 100% gone, and it'll just be too late.  

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Smitt3kSmitt3k Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by tank017

[mod edit]

A theme park is a theme park...and theme parks are only going to last you a couple months.This is why I lol'ed when people were saying they were going to make GW2 their home for years to come.

People overhyped themselves soo much for this game that some are still crash landing till this day..

If you learn to control your personal hype level,you'll be able to land on your feet.

I am still having great fun in GW2 and the community I play with is top notch. To each their own I suppose. I didn't hype myself up for it I just really enjoy playing it. It has some issues and needs to grow up a bit but it is my current mmo home and the best experience I have had in a mmo since my early days with DAoC.

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317

Since we are all in our eulogy support group I'll add my two cents:  I knew the game was over for me in 20 levels.  MMOs are supposed to be about a journey of both world exploration and character  growth.  I knew after 10 levels GW2 was just wandering around pointlessly doing the same things repeatedly.

From the outside looking in it has great graphics, a decent story and some unique features but for me it is missing the things that make an MMO appealing to me the NEXT day!

It's off my computer and I am looking for the future.  Maybe the genre is just dying.  Or maybe it's just dying for me.     

Originally posted by Chaserz

Since we are all in our eulogy support group I'll add my two cents:  I knew the game was over for me in 20 levels.  MMOs are supposed to be about a journey of both world exploration and character  growth.  I knew after 10 levels GW2 was just wandering around pointlessly doing the same things repeatedly.

From the outside looking in it has great graphics, a decent story and some unique features but for me it is missing the things that make an MMO appealing to me the NEXT day!

It's off my computer and I am looking for the future.  Maybe the genre is just dying.  Or maybe it's just dying for me.     

I just hope companies are starting to get the hint that maybe they should steer away from theme parks already. SOE seems like they are starting to,atleast so they say.

Originally posted by Smitt3k

Goooooood ,Gooooooooood

Now its Aerowyn's turn  muahahahahahahaha image

Seriously though,

People overhyped themselves soo much for this game that people are still crash landing till this day..

I am still having great fun in GW2 and the community I play with is top notch. To each their own I suppose. I didn't hype myself up for it I just really enjoy playing it. It has some issues and needs to grow up a bit but it is my current mmo home and the best experience I have had in a mmo since my early days with DAoC.

GW2 will definitely keep a fanbase,no doubt about that.

Hell,Im still playing it,which surprises me... though it is a back up mmo for me,which is probably why im still enjoying it.Im not burning through the content at blinding pace like some people have.

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Or if they are going to build theme park mmos, at least put enough different rides in it to justify admission.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Naral

You hit the major reasons why a lot of people quit including myself. 

It looks like this for me DF:UW>Neverwinter>Teso while playing PS2 to pass the time and droping in to TSW here and there while it grows. 

ot- Geez dude why were so ...rude to us that have said we feel the same about the same things?

It happens here all the time.  I got reported, flamed, insulted etc. for being open about my feelings for the game.  People get all caught up in the hype like a heroin addict shooting up for the first time in a while. 

P.S. I don't even know how many people will see this post as so many told me they "blocked" me from their views.  Lol.

Don't you love how they have to tell you they blocked you, like you would lose any sleep over it.

As to the original post, I am not even 80 yet with my main, and already find that your post echoes much of how I feel. It is a great disappointment. I want to like, even love this game, but it starts burning hot, new and generated some enthusiasm from me. Fast forward a couple of months, I am level 70ish and I still feel like I am playing exactly the same game as I did in the beginning. Being level 70 feels the same as being level 10, and going back and forth has made even that part of progression feel meaningless to me.

People may say that I am playing it wrong, that I should be playing for fun. Problem is, the game just *isn't* that fun anymore, not to me anyway.

The whole concept around designing an MMO around the idea that fun is it's own reward is flawed. It's just not possible for most people. Once you get past the 1st few times doing something and have moved into repetition, it's over.  Which means, this game was never really designed to be a solid long term primary MMO. WE've all heard that before, but it's proving itself out. Sure there are those who aer still stimulated by what GW2 did do right and that's great. They have their game. I actually find it somewhat reassuring that there is still hope for the genre. THe rest of us just need a game that targets what stimulates us.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

I remember you making a very nasty insult towards people complaining/hating on GW2 around a week ago...I would have never thought to see this thread from you so soon. I expected it obviously, from all of you rabid defenders, just in another 2 months or so when all hope was lost and there was nothing left to cling to, similar to the SWTOR defenders.

Welcome to the club of people who feel the same way as you Zylaxx, GW2 has minigames to do and solo-tasks like world completion to finish but once you grow bored of that or finish...it really is over, there's no sense of purpose or community in GW2 that makes me want to stay.

Originally posted by cybertrucker

If your looking for a good game granted it tips the park but the combat is amazing, and th graphics are actually IMHO better than GW2 I would recommend TERA. 

I almost DL'd it the other night. Then I caught myself lol just waiting for DF:UW which I'm sure will be delayed another month for some reason or other.

Lol I actually went back to TERA about a week ago and have been enjoying myself surprisingly even after my guild fell apart during the release of GW2 and split everywhere, just decided to join a new guild and prep myself for 3v3 ranked arena most likely coming in December.

What server you on? 

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by SirFubar
    For me, it took the removal of the trinity to make me realize how much it's needed in a themepark MMO. Dungeons in GW2 are a fucking mess.

I only did AC story mode once and I am still recovering from the PTSD of it....are they all that bad?  I have been toying with trying one again.

Nope msot of them are very easy, you jsut got to pick the right path to do.  Still alot of the encounters are nothing but a rez, release and return zerg strategy but not to the extent that AC was.  CoF is the easiest and can be ran with no deaths on a certain path.

Why such a lazy design?  Absolutely the worst thing you could do to the dungeon experience.

That's what happen when you play in PuGs or with people who doesn't know how to play or even learn how to properly do the dungeons. No offense but it's the truth. Its not the design that is lazy but the players. Some dungeons can be very challenging if you don't use this stupid "strat" of rez, release and return. I bet that most of the players don't even know how to use the combo mechanics properly.

No offense. but in doing that one dungeon I was turned off from doing any of them.  So, how can I develop a strategy for them if I didnt find it enjoyable in the least?

If you make it so painful an experience, how is that not bad design?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by aionix
    I think it may be the time for the sandbox to rise.  Personally I stillenjoy GW2, but thats because I'm a casual player nowadays.  What I see happening in MMO's is a shift in market focus.  GW2 may be the last successful themepark MMO, as the industry starts shifting to more sandbox player driven games (the scrapping of EQNext anyone?!).  Just like the fall of console gaming and high graphic linear AAA video games, I believe the themepark MMO is on the way out.

The problm is that everyone who makes Sandbox's feel that FFA PvP is the only thing that matters.  Give me a PvE Sandbox and I'll gladly try it out if it has solid features and good production quality.  Basically I want a Triple A Sandbox with non raid centric PvE being the focus, but that will never happen so as is I am stuck with themeparks or hybrids.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

I said so as much in between all my fanboish posts about the game.  What the GW2 needs is first a dungeon finder (disagree with me all you want but its the only reason why I stuck with WoW thoughout all of BC/WotLK) and a way to normalize agro instead of playing ping pong with the mob.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

I keep reading these types of posts, and it makes me glad I'm a casual gamer these days , on the nights I get to play its only for 2 to 3 hours, a few nights might be longer. Which means the game comes at a slower rate. A month and I'm only level 36. The game is amazing minus my first bad dungeon run. My 2nd run went slightly better but I still feel trash mobs need to be to be toned down.

If your looking for a good game granted it tips the park but the combat is amazing, and th graphics are actually IMHO better than GW2 I would recommend TERA. 

I play from 12-3am every nite after I get off work and about 7-9 hours on Saturday night with usually sunday being off for family stuff and I have played as casual as one can get (or so I thought) spening alot of time researching builds while still logged in (racking up /played time) or standing around crafting or trading post gawking.  I dont see how you can only be level 6, I hit level 36 on my warrior in the first night of release (about 14 hours in) so unless you only play 1 or 2 days a week you have really poor leveling skills lol.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

I remember you making a very nasty insult towards people complaining/hating on GW2 around a week ago...I would have never thought to see this thread from you so soon. I expected it obviously, from all of you rabid defenders, just in another 2 months or so when all hope was lost and there was nothing left to cling to, similar to the SWTOR defenders.

Welcome to the club of people who feel the same way as you Zylaxx, GW2 has minigames to do and solo-tasks like world completion to finish but once you grow bored of that or finish...it really is over, there's no sense of purpose or community in GW2 that makes me want to stay.

I almost DL'd it the other night. Then I caught myself lol just waiting for DF:UW which I'm sure will be delayed another month for some reason or other.

Lol I actually went back to TERA about a week ago and have been enjoying myself surprisingly even after my guild fell apart during the release of GW2 and split everywhere, just decided to join a new guild and prep myself for 3v3 ranked arena most likely coming in December.

Pivotelite, while I wont fault your assessment I do disagree with your narrative.  GW2 has plenty to do for alot of people, it jsut doesnt have enough for me to do (i.e. PvE and Exploration centric content)  On that same note, I played Asherons Call for close to 12 years, WoW for 6 straight and both of those are truely single player experiences with multiplayer persistance added on and the lack solo-tasks were never a problem there.

[mod edit]

No reason to gloat over me quitting.  I still love all the things it does right (which is many) it jsut there is a serious lack of self important things I like about the game to do now that I finished my task.

Did I overhype it?  Probably yes, well ok defintely yes, but at the time I had reason too because I tried to correlate a virtual semi dynamic ever changing world into my old mindset but alas I admit I was wrong.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

[mod edit]

Haha!  I'm pretty sure the sky is falling with BadSpock and now OP.  I think necroing threads is frowned upon as it would make too many people look bad lol.

Yeah the design of the game is at fault more than anything else.  No freedom these days equals no long term playtime for most people that have been playing MMO's for 10+ years.  Also when you have a limited freedom system with all dev content that I can finish in two months, what else can happen but quit.  

While GW2  has great combat/polish and everything is streamlined, I get no sense of accomplishment from anything I do in the game as the game is too streamlined and combat frenetic....very much like a console game. 

I've not quit yet as I found learning new abilities on alts more fun than anything else.  I can't imagine how some people played this game through to 80 with no alts to switch things up.  With such limited skills one run through would be a drag.

I almost wish I could find some enjoyment in esport PvP...but I can't.  Maybe that is really what this game is meant for.

• AesowhreapAesowhreap Member Posts: 78

This thread almost has it all. I'd call in within a revelation of a class all its own. Great truth was in this post compared to the other people whom only have one thing to say while they exemplfy it. This is about how I think we all must feel most of the time when changing games a lot and having too many foolish hours to spend gaming.

I haven't played most of these item mall games but I have looked at over half of them or more in the last three months. It is a bit sickening to seem them go to such waste and synthetic break down. If only 20 extra of all objects congruent to one game were added to another, and the good parts kept. You would think the code junkie would be on steroids banging down door with is massive code full of all games and parts giving gamers choices for once. And one thing I saw on Wakfu was that everyone posted their pictures for and intro. This should be a mandatory for playing any mmorpg or it take away from the game and the concept of playing with others. I'm pretty sure this should be done at sign up like a dating site.

I want to quit right now also, yet it is winter and I like to go walking and workout to pass time while not playing mmo's. No gym memship yet so I looking for a new game and found a beta to two different games I can enjoy as if they existed as one. I think these will be good game I got a key for Wizardry, which i think follows good extentions of the oldest of games and also a key to Salem. I think Salem will be fun in playing a slower calmer game with a spin that doesn't focus as much in thr rpg roots of mmo-rpg. Salem so far is all about collecting things, I havent even gotten anything to kill a rabbit with yet.  But, for right now I am happy with the base comparison even in game progression being Wizardry and Salem.

Great Job,

J

Best Regards, ...

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I said so as much in between all my fanboish posts about the game.  What the GW2 needs is first a dungeon finder (disagree with me all you want but its the only reason why I stuck with WoW thoughout all of BC/WotLK) and a way to normalize agro instead of playing ping pong with the mob.

A dungeon finder might be OK for ultra casual games like GW2.  It worked for WoW's new (2009+) model (ugh).  It worked to some extent for SWTOR (sigh, wrong audience for this game but w/e).

For the casual game that GW2 is, I guess it's not too much to ask for.  Players in casual games don't care about community, or social aspects, so why not.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

A dungeon finder might be OK for ultra casual games like GW2.  It worked for WoW's new (2009+) model (ugh).  It worked to some extent for SWTOR (sigh, wrong audience for this game but w/e).

For the casual game that GW2 is, I guess it's not too much to ask for.  Players in casual games don't care about community, or social aspects, so why not.

I hear this argument all the time that dungeon finders destroy community yet have not seen any proof of it.

I think I might still be playing Asherons Call if it had a Dungeon Finder and an Auction house, those 2 themepark innovations are the greatest thing to ever hit the genre IMO.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The whole concept around designing an MMO around the idea that fun is it's own reward is flawed. It's just not possible for most people. Once you get past the 1st few times doing something and have moved into repetition, it's over.  Which means, this game was never really designed to be a solid long term primary MMO. WE've all heard that before, but it's proving itself out. Sure there are those who aer still stimulated by what GW2 did do right and that's great. They have their game. I actually find it somewhat reassuring that there is still hope for the genre. THe rest of us just need a game that targets what stimulates us.

What stimulates you?  What is fun?