Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could travel back in time and tell the Pre-GW2-Beta "You" something about GW2, what would you

Comments

• manakanamanakana Member Posts: 75
    "Don't buy it, you'll quit in a week"
  • HartsHopeHartsHope Member Posts: 3
    there is zero reason to join a PVE guild.
  • CorrineCorrine Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Don't NPC any lvl 68+ exotics, save them for salvaging.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Me- "Dude, the Forum Wars between the people who love, hate and are so-so about this game will be soooo much fun and entertaining. You'll love it, like all mmorpg wars after launch"

Past me- "HOLY SH$$. WHAT THE FU$$. YOU'RE ME. BUT... BUT I'M ME. SO... YOU'RE.... I'M.....AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH...... HEEEEEELLLLLLPPP"

Me- "Oh, yeah, i forgot time travel is still unknown to most people."

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Make a sticky post with a ton of GW2 videos. Muahahahaha...image
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    If you could travel back in time and tell the Pre-GW2-Beta "You" something about GW2, what would you tell yourself?

I would say don't bother to buy it. It's a good themepark game but  I'm pretty tired of them.

Life is pain.

• Creslin4321Creslin4321 Member Posts: 19
    I would tell myself that in the future, people on MMORPG.com will find many creative ways to rehash the same old subject of "Do you like/hate GW2?"  Because apparently, letting people know your opinion on the game 500 times is very, very important.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Questions such as this are probably meaningless to a person who knows what he wants, knows what a game offers, and has foresight.

hey didnt say it has to be something bad. you assumed that.

The implication is still there. Whether it was intentional or not.

People who get asked, or ask themselves this question are almost always doing so in an effort to look back at mistakes they've made, or things they could've done better. Almost noone looks back to give themselves a high-5 for making a good decision, but that's probably what I would do if I was in that situation.

This thread reinforces the idea of correcting a mistake you made during GW2's pre-launch. As such, you couldn't have expected that this would be a primarily positive thread, as is probably evident by now that we're 6 pages in.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405
    If you could travel back in time and tell the Pre-GW2-Beta "You" something about GW2, what would you tell yourself?

Buy it.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Creslin4321
    I would tell myself that in the future, people on MMORPG.com will find many creative ways to rehash the same old subject of "Do you like/hate GW2?"  Because apparently, letting people know your opinion on the game 500 times is very, very important.

You know your post count is creeping up again....before you know it you'll be a spotlight poster.

• Creslin4321Creslin4321 Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by Creslin4321

You know your post count is creeping up again....before you know it you'll be a spotlight poster.

Oh god!!! lol :)

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

id slap myself and say "dont waste yur money you twat! "

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I would tell myself: you'll play the game for three days soon afterwards you'll start counting down the days for Mists of Pandaria release, even though you claimed you would never play WoW again.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I'd pat myself on the back and say "You are right not to get swept up in the hype.  No matter how many times you read someone say 'I know exactly the kind of game GW2 is and I will be playing it for a long long time', you are best to keep your expectations low."
  • UnderbridgeUnderbridge Member Posts: 16
    I would tell myself that there was a reason that the betas only lasted a weekend, and that was because if it went any longer, we would have realized how shallow the game was and that there really is no end game.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Questions such as this are probably meaningless to a person who knows what he wants, knows what a game offers, and has foresight.

hey didnt say it has to be something bad. you assumed that.

The implication is still there. Whether it was intentional or not.

People who get asked, or ask themselves this question are almost always doing so in an effort to look back at mistakes they've made, or things they could've done better. Almost noone looks back to give themselves a high-5 for making a good decision, but that's probably what I would do if I was in that situation.

This thread reinforces the idea of correcting a mistake you made during GW2's pre-launch. As such, you couldn't have expected that this would be a primarily positive thread, as is probably evident by now that we're 6 pages in.

I know you are a Anet developer and all, but that doesn't make you right. I asked what you would tell your past self about GW2 if you could travel back in time. It could be positive or something silly like a super secret item in the game. Whatever. Stop assuming everybody is attacking your product. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

"just remember, a disgruntled customer with 500 Facebook friends is like a loaded gun"

Not sure if I want to laugh or just /facepalm on that gem...

You really believe they refunded you because of that terrible threat? Please, tell me you don't believe that.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I would of have told myself : "Buy the Collectors Edition!!!!"

now i regret i didn´t  :(

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Underbridge
    I would tell myself that there was a reason that the betas only lasted a weekend, and that was because if it went any longer, we would have realized how shallow the game was and that there really is no end game.

What´s up with this "there is no end-game" bull***?

GW2 offers the exact same end-game than any other MMO in the market except  for Raiding....

and we all knew it wasn´t going to have Raids long before it launched.

Maybe some of you should simply tell your "own self" in the "time travel" to read better the previews and info about the game....

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

No matter how much information a company provides on a product disgruntled purchasers are going to claim that said company somehow wronged them.  Welcome to U.S. retail.  Remember, in America,  you are not to blame for your decisions.  It's always someone else's fault.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Zzad

GW2 offers the exact same end-game than any other MMO in the market except  for Raiding....

Maybe some of you should simply tell your "own self" in the "time travel" to read better the previews and info about the game....

Sure it offers endgame in the form of dungeons and PvP, but I didn't expect having no gear grind for PvE or PvP to make the game feel so pointless and progression free, I didn't expect Dynamic events to make the game less social than solo quest hub grinding and I didn't expect PvP to be so boring, zergy and imbalanced.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by vmoped

No matter how much information a company provides on a product disgruntled purchasers are going to claim that said company somehow wronged them.  Welcome to U.S. retail.  Remember, in America,  you are not to blame for your decisions.  It's always someone else's fault.

Cheers!

seem you have forgot about this video like others have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• UnderbridgeUnderbridge Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Zzad

No it doesn't. It doesn't have a "epic" gear or rare skills  to obtain. It doesn't have an economy that can be played or in depth crafting. Granted it was known about the first two as well as raids. These were supposedly being replaced with "epic" cosmetic gear, downleveling for areas, and world bosses. I too was very excited about it and thought these ideas were novel and innovative.

It turned out, at least for me, that their implementation was not as good as it sounded. The cosmetic gear didn't hold the same draw for me as something with better stats. Redoing content is not nearly as fun as the first time and the downleveling system is not as effective as I thought it would be and could use a rebalance. World bosses are far from epic as they are zergged down and spawn on timers. They don't really move around and require almost no real coordination.

I don't hate the game. In the end, it just isn't the MMO i was looking for. I think the world is beautiful and the DE's were a step above rifts and public quests. I think a system with a combination of events (ones that don't spawn as often as DE's) and long, detailed, meaningful quests would make an awesome game.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

It doesn't have an economy that can be played or in depth crafting.

A guildy has over 90g from "playing the economy" and crafting. But I guess there's no economy that can be played... if you say so. I'll tell my friend that his 90g don't exist, he may have a chuckle ;-)

For the rest of the post... no, GW2 is NOT a WoW clone, and thankfully so.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !