Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of Trying but....

lolzor112lolzor112 Member UncommonPosts: 6

Was wondering how bad the Cash shop is and whether its p2w or cosmetic(buying content isnt that bad)

was also curious about which is the most populated or for lack of better term "newbie friendly" server

Comments

• MischiffMischiff Member Posts: 169
    i used to play, was a nice game, but what bugged me the most about when it went   "FREE 2 PLAY"  was that u have to buy each zone in order to do the quest there ,  ive never played any other F2P game were u had to buy the quest in order to do them.  so, i wont go back.  i had quest on characters that i couldnt finish because i had to pay to unlock them,   G's
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    It's free up to level 30ish, so there's no reason not to try it at least :)
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

and it's not p2w at all. getting to the end of free content will take you 2-3 weeks at least 

the game also allows you to make turbine points as you go with various achievements and events, so if you're thorough enough, you could make enough points to unlock content for the entire game within a few months. it has been done and there are guides on how to do this

it does take helluva patience and a lot of grinding (some achievements require you to kill mobs and the highest I've had to kill was 300 so far)

nevertheless, it's THE best f2p game out there and worth trying for sure

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by lolzor112

Was wondering how bad the Cash shop is and whether its p2w or cosmetic(buying content isnt that bad)

was also curious about which is the most populated or for lack of better term "newbie friendly" server

You can grind 300 tp a day.

Follow this and enjoy.

http://www.squidoo.com/lotro-grind-400-tp

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Korrigan's right, it's free up to 30-32, and until then the restrictions won't disturb you much. So it's definitely worth a try.

Cash shop: you can ignore it, beside buying content ofc, but you sad buying content isn't that bad. Store has a lot of fluff (cosmetics, emotes, housing items, etc.), and have some speeding items (buffs for xp, deed accelerators, potions, etc.) Lately Turbine starts to slide into p2w a bit, but you can ignore those as well.

Server: there are former Eu and former US servers, (at the same location, so ping is the same), only difference is the peak hours. Community is great, so newbie-friendliness is not an issue, there are helpful people on every server.

Most populated server is a harder question, most of them has a steady average player count, I don't think you'll have any problems if you pick one fitting for your timezone (former Eu servers has a 6-7 hours gap from US in peak hours). Both side started a new server when f2p launched, and recommended that for the newcomers, and a lot of veterans started alts there too. It was fun to play on a new server, forming kins, etc. Those servers have maybe a bit larger playerbase. (former Eu f2p is Withywhindle, I don't know the US one)

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Lotro cash shop is very big.  Hundreads of items if not more. See by yourself: (take note: it is not complete, in example this link miss whole Creep/ Ettenmoors part of store which is for PVP in Lotro) 

http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/LOTRO_Store

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Follow this and enjoy.

You follow that and you won't enjoy. You should get enough TP from playing normally to buy a quest pack or two without having to grind TP.

Strictly speaking, the game isn't "pay to win", it's more "grind to win". Once you get your legacy items (LIs) you need to level them up, deconstruct, get more, level up, deconstruct, get more, over and over and over again.

With that said, there are things like stat tomes which give your charater stat boosts, and now starlight crystals which add dps to your LIs. In theory they drop in the game, but you likely won't ever see them.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    there is no buts, its free to play so just try see how easy is get tp and decide yourself nobody can deside this for you and if you let someone decide what game you play you are not really gamer...
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by trancejeremy
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Follow this and enjoy.

You follow that and you won't enjoy.

Not necessarily, depends on OP's attitude :) I heard of guys who are farming diablo3 every weekend for the rmah, and stil not completely crazy (yet :) )

Jokes aside, you're right, very much. If OP follows that, he'll probably hate the whole game in a few days. Not to mention, grinding for a day to earn what, ~3$ ? He can just drop that 3$ in, and actually playing and having fun for that same day...

But since he stated "buying content isnt that bad" I guess he won't need day-long grinding for some TP :)