Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quarterly raport from NCSoft

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki
    Originally posted by samvenice
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Holy profiteering batman! So much for the notion that B2P means they don't make any money HA!

If you consider that the most popular Korean MMO since launch until today, a P2P + cash shop title available in ONETWO COUNTRYIES aka China and Korea (B&S) in 3 full months (1month in China) makes close figures to a B2P released basically worldwide in the U.S. and Europe (GW2)... in the last month of the 3rd Quarter I wouldn't "HA" that much. I'm literally shocked by the results, I expected much different figures (as in Gw2 making 10x B&S).

(WoW worldwide inc. EU, US, TW, KR, CN, POR, BR etc supporting dozen of languages regularly earns only 6 times more than the China and Korea only released B&S. 10 times as much would equal to WoW after BC with 8 Million global player.)

But maybe apart from playing it wrong, I am also reading numbers wrong, and viewing worldmap wrong - but what do I know, I must be a wrong-doer.

Fixed for less wrong and more right.

Its not GW2 doing "not so strong", rather than B&S and other NCSoft title going strong even compared to Western games with their currencies boosting the "in Dollar" revenues in their advantage and still being industry leaders. NCSoft makes more than half the regular earnings from MMORPGs as Blizzard (aka excluding boxsales and peaks from releases or expansions). By your definition currently even "close" as much. Im taking WoW/Blizzard for example because simply its the only big player objectively compareable to NCSOFT people here know and treat as the financial giant they are.

This is what massively says -

While overall sales in Korea far outnumber sales in the North America or Europe, the availability of GW2 globally could be what put that game at the top of the sales list ahead of Blade & Soul, which is available only in Korea. 

I think samvenice's "basically worldwide" still stands.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by bcbully

Holy profiteering batman! So much for the notion that B2P means they don't make any money HA!

If you consider that the most popular Korean MMO since launch until today, a P2P + cash shop title available in ONETWO COUNTRYIES aka China and Korea (B&S) in 3 full months (1month in China) makes close figures to a B2P released basically worldwide in the U.S. and Europe (GW2)... in the last month of the 3rd Quarter I wouldn't "HA" that much. I'm literally shocked by the results, I expected much different figures (as in Gw2 making 10x B&S).

(WoW worldwide inc. EU, US, TW, KR, CN, POR, BR etc supporting dozen of languages regularly earns only 6 times more than the China and Korea only released B&S. 10 times as much would equal to WoW after BC with 8 Million global player.)

But maybe apart from playing it wrong, I am also reading numbers wrong, and viewing worldmap wrong - but what do I know, I must be a wrong-doer.

Its not GW2 doing "not so strong", rather than B&S and other NCSoft title going strong even compared to Western games with their currencies boosting the "in Dollar" revenues in their advantage and still being industry leaders. NCSoft makes more than half the regular earnings from MMORPGs as Blizzard (aka excluding boxsales and peaks from releases or expansions). By your definition currently even "close" as much. Im taking WoW/Blizzard for example because simply its the only big player objectively compareable to NCSOFT people here know and treat as the financial giant they are.

While overall sales in Korea far outnumber sales in the North America or Europe, the availability of GW2 globally could be what put that game at the top of the sales list ahead of Blade & Soul, which is available only in Korea. 

You and some people in this thread vastly, VASTLY underestimate the amount of people that play mmorpgs in korea.

Has it got the same number of players in all the west combined? of course not, but its not behind by that much.

Originally posted by austriacus

You and some people in this thread vastly, VASTLY underestimate the amount of people that play mmorpgs in korea.

Has it got the same number of players in all the west combined? of course not, but its not behind by that much.

I'm confused. I'm not underestimating Korean sales. The vast majority of NCsofts sales came from Korea.

I posted that quote because of the other guy saying GW2 was only released in 2 countries.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I would rather play Blade & Soul rather than GW2.

1. GW2 is not even released in Korea

2. No where even wrongly in the article was it stated that "a vast majority of GW2's sales came from Korea". Neither suggested in the financial reports.

3. Europe is not a country.

Geez that was a lazer quick quote and a super slow post. I misspoke and had changed 5 secs after I posted and about 5 mins before you posted this! ;)

edit - and what does any of this have to do with what you posted on the conversation? What I responded to you on.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

To people saying that GW2 is doing bad compared to B&S. remember that it was released before GW2, is very popular there (at release it was the most played game there, don't know how it changed) and has a higher subscrption price than we pay here:

Massiveley: NCSoft also laid ongoing rumors of the game's going free-to-play to rest by announced the game's pricing: A monthly fee of 23,000 Korean Won (about 19.81 USD) will begin on June 30th.

Edit. Just checked and B&S dropped to 3rd place this week from 1st last week.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

NCsoft is a very crappy company, when my L2 account got jacked when it went F2P because they had no secondary password they refused to give my gear back which I had on my account for years before and nothing happend to it until it went F2P.

Also not only this, but these numbers are just pathetic for a game company if you ask me, Also goes to show that Cash Shops are not always the best way to go when it comes to pay 2 win/ pay 2 enjoy.

If I was running NCsoft as a company I can say these numbers would sure be a lot higher than what they currently are even if my game had a cash shop it wouldn't be based around pay 2 win or pay 2 enjoy even if it was F2P.

The only reason I play GW2 is because it wasn't made by NCsoft that I know of, and because well its FREE, when I bought Aion, and L2 I expected great games but instead it turned into nothing.

Tera for that matter did the same thing and is doing worse than NCsoft alone, lets not even forget about Square Enix and Final Fantasy XII online biggest flops in MMO history.

Originally posted by austriacus

I'm confused. I'm not underestimating Korean sales. The vast majority of NCsofts sales came from Korea.

I posted that quote because of the other guy saying GW2 was only released in 2 countries.

You-

1. GW2 is not even released in Korea. Only in the EU and US.

2. No where even wrongly in the article was it stated that "a vast majority of GW2's sales came from Korea".

Neither suggested in the financial reports. Infact the rise of about 45 Million from EU and US revenues by region and the new 45 Million in total from GW2 by game should give you a good hint where they came from.

3. Europe is not a country.

You-

It was and is a response to your 2nd post. The one I quoted. The one these statements perfectly answer. The one you edited into a completely different context afterwards. Dont play clueless.

Your 1st post and quote still does not make my statement less true or his anymore right. The one I answered and denied either.

GW2 was neither "available" globaly, nor is it false that it was only released in EU and US. Your "basically worldwide" is not even half of the worlds market regions by size. Especially a bad argument when the "worldwide" game is not even released in the region of the other either. GW2 is and was a plain and simple and commonly known as "Western release". Nothing else. Dont try to twist or deny it any further.

But if you want to play the semantic game and claim "but its basically available to the world buying it from EU or US vendors to play on EU or US server" then so is Blade & Sould "globaly available" playing it in China or Korea (who cares about KSN its just in a "basic sense" isnt it?) and the whole argument of Massively and the guy I quoted falls apart either. Simply because they never where correct to beginn with. Not basically. Not practically.

Okay this is the entire conversation... I don't want you to think I left something out... MASSIVELY said "the availibilty of GW2 globaly" You then responded talking about "You vastly underestimate the amount of people who play mmorpgs in Korea."

I was asking what does that have to do with the conversation prior to you posting what you did?

edit - you see how long this is? This is why I cut it to our conversation.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Results for next quarter - Q4 should not be lesser than Q3 ones.  I think at least some retailers might pay Ncsoft it 'cut' after certain amount of time or copies sold and this revenue may show in Q4.    Still those revenues does seem bit small for such huge 'loud' release.

Further revenues though may rely on cash shop revenue stronger than many of GW2 fans might think, even counting that there will be paid expansions in future.

I wonder what NCSoft's & Arena net revenue targets for GW2 were and are and if they are meet. Cause that will decide future pricing of expansions,  shape and size of cash shop and dev & support team.  

• AesowhreapAesowhreap Member Posts: 78
    I start accounting, and business classes in november ill look at this then. I'm looking for more games with classes like  Lineage 2.

Best Regards, ...

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Some more interesting stuff:

NCSoft  marketing Q2: 4 Million $US

NCSoft  marketing Q3: 7 Million $US

Activision Blizzard marketing Q2: 127 Million $US

Activision Blizzard marketing Q3: 131 Million $US

GW2 Western boxsales inc cashshop 45 Million

WoW global Q3 sales inc. subscriptions, cashshop and global MOP boxsales 345 Million

NCSoft global: 164 Million

ActivisionBlizzard global: 697 Million

Doesnt look like like all that sub money is going into "content updates" and "service".

Activsion Bizzard just spent more than 20% of their revenues on marketing or about equal to all MOP boxsales just for hype. NCSoft not even full 4%

And their fanbois called GW2 overhyped...

I really want to see how Nexon is doing now...

Exactly plenty of evidence revealing they don't DO content updates at blizzard, they take the money from expansion sales for that (spsssh expansions, something subscribers pay for twice) yep that's right, it's just sitting around until their launch time comes along and then they test and release content they've already done. 

But GW2 was called immoral for their business practices concerning a store with very little in the way of specific "absolutely needed" items to play (character slots, bank tabs).

I really would like to see immediately when those annual passes will be dropping this month and next. :)

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Exactly plenty of evidence revealing they don't DO content updates at blizzard, they take the money from expansion sales for that (spsssh expansions, something subscribers pay for twice) yep that's right, it's just sitting around until their launch time comes along and then they test and release content they've already done. 

But GW2 was called immoral for their business practices concerning a store with very little in the way of specific "absolutely needed" items to play (character slots, bank tabs).

Oh yeah, plenty of evidence. I mean, as long as you ignore all the content updates Blizz games have gotten. Or are so ignorant of their games that you actually believe such drivel.

And, ummm, wasn't it Anet calling everyone else immoral for their business practices?

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Dalano
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer
    Doesn't look very impressive for a super anticipated AAA mmo that just launched. Being B2P means that it has already returned most of its revenue to the company. I mean, it's less money than AION made on the first quarter this same year. I'm looking forward to see the next quarter, when no more boxes are being sold and they'll only make profit from those that still keep playing and use use the gemshop.

Err, since it's a third quarter report and GW2 didn't release until the end of August, that's pretty much September only. Looks pretty good for one month to me. Q4 will really tell the tale though.

Most sales occur at release and decline, especially true for a game hyped to the max Pre-release.

Spot on there especially due to all the pre-orders that were hyped.....

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

didn't bother to read other posts, but this is what I see from this:

1 - the report is until Sept 2012, GW2 only allowed pre-order sales at that point and actually removed GW2 from the market for a few weeks to stabilize the servers, so all of the October/November sales are not included

2 - $43 million profit made in a few weeks (the game only came out in the late August) is actually pretty darn good

3 - also, the report is very limited in its scope and I have a feeling only includes some sales as even vgchartz swhows the total games sold at 1.39 million, 60$ a piece that should yield approx 100mil. 

So, don't go by Q3 reports, wait till Q4

EDIT: just read some posts, apparently that's what a lot of other people are saying too haha...oh well. already did the typing

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by Giddian
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Looks like Blade & Soul is doing better than GW2, considering that it's only available in Korea.

Are you reading the Same thing I am?

GW2  45,841

B&S   32,662

GW2 has 13,179 More. How is B&S doing Better?

I'm guessing the "only available in Korea" part, vs GW2 in US, EU and whatnot.

regional-designations%3A-territories-and-countries, for all the places it has been released in.

Oh wow, I didn't know GW2 was released basically everywhere...even North Korea is on the list lol.

Is it a fact that GW2 has already been released in all these target regions, or are we assuming it? The link says "will be" afterall.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by dimnikar
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    I can't believe lineage 1 is still doing so well...

Makes you wonder how UO would fare if EA was supporting it the same way NCsoft is supporting L1, doesn't it?

I'm guessing no considering how different S.Korean gaming culture is. They seem to stick with good games far longer instead of exchanging for the next shiny the way we were brought up to do (rampant consumerism).

I know people who play the same old MMOs year after year.  I'm not even talking about WoW, but even players of LOTRO or DDO.  They're not serious gamers, and they don't seem to understand this need to keep jumping to new games all the time.  I think there are a lot more people like that in the US than publishers realize, but they lose those players if they don't support them. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

Some more interesting stuff:NCSoft  marketing Q2: 4 Million $USNCSoft  marketing Q3: 7 Million $USActivision Blizzard marketing Q2: 127 Million $USActivision Blizzard marketing Q3: 131 Million $US GW2 Western boxsales inc cashshop 45 MillionWoW global Q3 sales inc. subscriptions, cashshop and global MOP boxsales 345 Million NCSoft global: 164 MillionActivisionBlizzard global: 697 Million Doesnt look like like all that sub money is going into "content updates" and "service".Activsion Bizzard just spent more than 20% of their revenues on marketing or about equal to all MOP boxsales just for hype. NCSoft not even full 4%And their fanbois called GW2 overhyped... I really want to see how Nexon is doing now... 
    This post is actually quite funny because someone took it seriously.

The Activision Blizzard marketing was for the entire company, meaning commercials for Skylanders and CoD as well as Diablo 3 and MoP. Did you think that marketing was exclusively for WoW or something?

Also, what profit WoW does make goes to Activision Blizzard, the company that owns Blizzard.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Unfortunately, for those of us hoping for a little more to sink our teeth into.. this report doesn't seem to indicate much of anything.  It shows that the game was neither a failure, nor genre smashing success.  It did relatively well, but we already knew that.

It's their next report that will be more telling, I think. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

To those pretending Blade and Soul does better than GW2, you're comparing a sub based game during 3 months with a B2P game released since only one month. Apples and Oranges. But considering who posted such comparisons, the misinformation is not surprising.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

To those pretending Blade and Soul does better than GW2, you're comparing a sub based game during 3 months with a B2P game released since only one month. Apples and Oranges. But considering who posted such comparisons, the misinformation is not surprising.

Sorry bro you can not have it both ways. As long as it suits the fans and make GW2 look more successful it is comapred regularly to games like Rift, Swtor, Tera etc.

But it can not be compared to Blade and Soul? well because in this case numbers don't look impressive. Yeah allrighty then lol

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Uhm, how did they count?

Do NC Soft count in 100% of GW2s earning, or are ANETs cut taken away first? Because with the number of known sales (about 2,5 million copies) and the earnings (42 million bucks) they only earned 10 bucks on each copy and that seems pretty low to me. Sure, the stores will get their share of any physical copy but that would be half of the $60 price, and many copies were sold directly from ANET. Add the gems that at least got in some money and the numbers seems odd to me.

If ANET on the other hand take half of the cut it would make more sense, $20 per case is far more likely.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by halflife25

Sorry bro you can not have it both ways. As long as it suits the fans and make GW2 look more successful it is comapred regularly to games like Rift, Swtor, Tera etc.

But it can not be compared to Blade and Soul? well because in this case numbers don't look impressive. Yeah allrighty then lol

It those comparing absolute figures of two entirely different games - with largely different availability (3 months/1 month) and payment profile (sales & subs/pre-sales).

Comparing the two and drawing any conclusions is entirely illogical at this point - the aggregate Q3/Q4 figures will be far more indicative.

Now - the figures at that point may support your game bashing opinion, or it may more support those who love the game.

But please don't obfuscate the issue - Korrigan was right to say it's an apples and oranges situation, and you crying 'bias' is actually a classic case of projection, not the insightful criticism you pass it off as.

Wait for Q4 and then crow if you are correct. Even better - you should 'eat crow' if you are wrong - but whatever - at least call it when it can credibly be called and not before.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

It those comparing absolute figures of two entirely different games - with largely different availability (3 months/1 month) and payment profile (sales & subs/pre-sales).

Comparing the two and drawing any conclusions is entirely illogical at this point - the aggregate Q3/Q4 figures will be far more indicative.

Now - the figures at that point may support your game bashing opinion, or it may more support those who love the game.

But please don't obfuscate the issue - Korrigan was right to say it's an apples and oranges situation, and you crying 'bias' is actually a classic case of projection, not the insightful criticism you pass it off as.

Wait for Q4 and then crow if you are correct. Even better - you should 'eat crow' if you are wrong - but whatever - at least call it when it can credibly be called and not before.

It is not about whther he is wrong or right but how things are twisted by fans to suit their own agenda.

If you read my post again i am not supporting the comparison but simply highlighting the hypocricy when GW2 has been compared to Rift, SWTOR, Tera and other themepark MMO in sales, retention and over all success.

I was never in favor of such comparisons doesn't mean i can't point out the obvious double standards.

If numbers were impressive regardless of when and where Blade and Soul was released, i doubt he would even bother to make a post.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Why would he eat a crow? not like he is supporting the comparisons here? he is simply pointing out the double standard and yes GW2 has always been compared to all the recent themepark releases regardless of their release date and GW2 fans have tried their best to put those games down with constant chest beating.

So when suddenly GW2 numbers don't look impressive the comparisons are forbidden well because suddenly logic, prudence and reasonable thinking has entered the room which was somehow missing for all this time.

Only because someone is pointing out the hypocricy and irony of posts like theese doesn't mean they support the idea.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

It is not about whther he is wrong or right but how things are twisted by fans to suit their own agenda.

If you read my post again i am not supporting the comparison but simply highlighting the hypocricy when GW2 has been compared to Rift, SWTOR, Tera and other themepark MMO in sales, retention and over all success.

I was never in favor of such comparisons doesn't mean i can't point out the obvious double standards.

If numbers were impressive regardless of when and where Blade and Soul was released, i doubt he would even bother to make a post.

Seems to me that some fans who have been stating that GW2 is leading are now in denial. NCSoft have released the info and it does not lie, fact is it's from the horse mouth.

Obssesion leads people to not see the glaring truth that GW2 is an okay game but no where near the titan they believe it to be. I say to these people, go play your game and stop  wishing that GW2 would be king because it's never going to happen.