Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArenaNet! Please add some social stucture and competitive nature to your game! It's starting to su

13»

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I always thought inspecting was anti social. More social to ask... Which is what I do.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Serelisk

[snip]

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but MUD's in the early 1990's allowed inspects.  It's not a new concept.

It is not an ODD feature.

Concern is here.  Hence why this thread was created.  MUD's were very social.  GW2 is not. I've identified the reasons for this.

We're all sorry to disappoint you but inspect isn't a social dynamic, it's used mostly by dungeoncrawlers and elitist jerks to determine your gear because everyone believes gear = successful run, It does NOT in this title.

Social aspects are general chat, friends/followers/guild rosters, tell/whisper, lfg (which is not the one that people use to simply teleport to a dungeon automagically- not the same thing and GW2 has one already), cosmetics, chat bubbles, the freedom to roleplay.

Those are social aspects, inspect is just a tool to lord something over someone else, like getting a legendary for example.

When I want to know a piece of armor I see, I ask the person what it is. Their actually nice enough in the game to tell me, which means they chat with me, which means they are being social. Soooo that further derails this "inspect = sociability" nonsense.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Serelisk

Since you clearly didn't read the OP, let me fill you in: the post didn't say it was missing, it harped on a design decision made by ArenaNet that the original poster doesn't agree with. That is, interactive elements such as inspect were (apparently) left out to avoid rivalries.

"Inspect" is one of those odd features that some people grew accustomed to in their particular game and as such interpret that if a game does not have it then it was 'cut' or 'left out' as opposed to not even being a concern in the first place.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but MUD's in the early 1990's allowed inspects.  It's not a new concept.

It is not an ODD feature.

Concern is here.  Hence why this thread was created.  MUD's were very social.  GW2 is not. I've identified the reasons for this.

I applaud your effort in reaching that far to find an argument against what I presented, despite it having absolutely nothing to do with what I said. To reel you back to reality:

• I never said it wasn't around before
    • Odd doesn't mean New
    • Yes, you're concerned about it. Yay for taking a random word and building an arbitrary argument. His statement was that the devs left it out and my reply was that it probably wasn't even a concern of theirs, let alone on a list to get left out.

Sorry to disappoint you.

I tried my best to match your tone. Did I do well?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    I always thought inspecting was anti social. More social to ask... Which is what I do.

Same here. It's something I really enjoyed in Asheron's Call, because most people usually had a great story to go with the item.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

So... for a game to be considered "sociable" in the OP's mind we need:

1. Rude emotes to perform over enemies we have just killed

2. Virtual digital binoculars so we can check out people that don't know they're being stalked

3. Gear grind

In other words, copy all the worst WOW feature and turn GW2 into another boorish MMO cesspool...hmmm.

You forgot Barren's chat and a Chuck Norris statue.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• carpatiancarpatian Member UncommonPosts: 47
     after 2 weeks of real fun the game rapidly start to get boring and anoying. non progresion and boring zerg pvp, the bs events etc etc makes me guit without looking back any sooner. great game in the begining but after u get lvl 80 with couple toons nothingh else to do just fkin around to get 100% map completions and pvp wich is rly stupid cause u can swich servers every day ...thats just come on!! i think if they get rid of the stupid gear system and put some progresion ,and revamp the pvp wvw i might come back
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Corners were cut. I know people don't like to here that, but it can be seen in systems throught the game. A lot of RPG elements just didn't make the cut.

Could you please elaborate??

The little things, they added up for me. Things like going to the "battle master guy" The one you enter into a spvp match. Why does he give you a list of "servers"? It may sound silly, but it was a jarring immersion break.

Blending of the game worlds. This is a step in development where pvp and pve are balanced to create one world. GW2 left that out. You can say that it was because of this and that, but it was a step left out, and again it was a jarring design decision to me, that left the game world being 3 seperate games in one box. 

Emotes, I've never played a game with so few. 

Gear design 1-80. A decision had to be made that variety pre-cap is not that important. 

I could go on, but things like this stand out.

The one part of the game that doesn't need immersion is spvp. In any mmo really. The fact that they have them as servers is to mirror how fps and other genres do it. We both know that bc.

Again, this wasn't "left out" it was a concious decision. They are seperated for obvious design reasons, look at how other mmos are now changing to separate their pvp from their pve as well like GW2. Even your dear TSW is doing this, your gonna tell me that pvp and pve in TSW is one cohesive world??

Sure, Ill give you emotes...

I found gear design to be great. I guess this depends on perspective.

I think you should have more examples that 1. Only happen in GW2 2. Are actually "left out" or "cut corners" instead of part of the design.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Guild Wars 2 is essentially a solo player game, as it is.  There is no guild outside of a chatbox, and like hell there are wars.  Wasn't there supposed to be guild wars .. ok, I withdraw the question, I'm familiar with Guild Wars 1 already.

Guild Wars 2 brings to MMORPG'ers a new form of entertainment, which in it's most important quality, doesn't have subscriptions.  .  However it also brings a new form of anti-social gaming in the disguise of an MMORPG that real gamers should be concerned about.

There is no social community in GW2.  Other games facilitate this by adding emotes, inspects, and intricate /who commands to give a general idea for each player to identify with their surroundings.  Guild Wars 2 provides none of this.

As a saving grace, GW2 does provide a few emotes, like /bow.  You can't /smile, /frown, /bounce, etc, though.  There are only a dozen emotes that are allowed, which are non-confrontational.  EverQuest 1 & WoW released with something like 100+ emotes .. GW2 can't do that too?

What better way to compare yourself to others than to inspect them?  GW2 won't let you do that.  It's too confrontational, and could leave to rivalries. :(

Which leads me into my next part.  The reason why Guild Wars 2 has no social community is because it has no rivalries.  Everyone is equal at max level.  There is, in fact, no reason to love or hate any other player.  There is no emotion in anything this game offers.  The other players might as well be NPC's and all but the top 1% would notice the difference.

I can't see this game succeeding as an MMORPG.  It has all the groundwork for a quality game, and the graphic & map design is amazing!... but ArenaNet is losing people with every day that passes, as players realize that GW2 is a really lonely game (even if you bring friends).

MMORPG'ers play games to interact with other players, not just see them walk by.

Wasnt the whole point to GW2 to reduce the empahsis on competitiveness/progression?  Another glaring example of how our genre is splintering (which is fine) but believe we can no longer expect everything we want out of one game.  Its going to go niche.  Hardcore MMOFPS with play x, casual MMO players will play y, and (hopefully) hardcore MMORPG players will play z and even that is an oversimplification (but you get the idea).

Dont think its for GW2 to add... but for us to play/look for a different game....

• nnuuttoonnuuttoo Member Posts: 10
    - Inspecting other players' equipment
    - More emotes
    - Trading with other players (without mailing items/currency)

A warm welcome to me (maybe in the future it's going to happen?) =) But I can deal without them easily, those are not necessarily needed in my book. I love the game as it is and stands out.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Corners were cut. I know people don't like to here that, but it can be seen in systems throught the game. A lot of RPG elements just didn't make the cut.

Could you please elaborate??

The little things, they added up for me. Things like going to the "battle master guy" The one you enter into a spvp match. Why does he give you a list of "servers"? It may sound silly, but it was a jarring immersion break.

Blending of the game worlds. This is a step in development where pvp and pve are balanced to create one world. GW2 left that out. You can say that it was because of this and that, but it was a step left out, and again it was a jarring design decision to me, that left the game world being 3 seperate games in one box. 

Emotes, I've never played a game with so few. 

Gear design 1-80. A decision had to be made that variety pre-cap is not that important. 

I could go on, but things like this stand out.

The one part of the game that doesn't need immersion is spvp. In any mmo really. The fact that they have them as servers is to mirror how fps and other genres do it. We both know that bc.

Again, this wasn't "left out" it was a concious decision. They are seperated for obvious design reasons, look at how other mmos are now changing to separate their pvp from their pve as well like GW2. Even your dear TSW is doing this, your gonna tell me that pvp and pve in TSW is one cohesive world??

Sure, Ill give you emotes...

I found gear design to be great. I guess this depends on perspective.

I think you should have more examples that 1. Only happen in GW2 2. Are actually "left out" or "cut corners" instead of part of the design.

tsw was like that all along actually

• wHeisenbergwwHeisenbergw Member Posts: 1

Inspects are rivalries.  In GW2's case it would be legendaries.

Inspection is also the reason, every goddamned class I had in every MMOs that features Inspect was fucking nerfed to shit. If you want to be nosy & copy someone's style or build, GTFO GW2 to somewhere else.

As for the social factor in GW2, it's great as is. I've tons of friends with which to run dungeons, WvW, SPvP, or just explore. It's not any of our fault, you're socially challenged. I'm not lonely enough to complain on a forum Anet probably doesn't even read, about wanting a more social game. Get a fucking pet if you're lonely, so you can cry to it about your life's shortcomings.

With posts like yours, is it any wonder you're alone...