Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Read any interesting non-fiction lately?

dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately.  Mostly involving science, mathematics and computer science mixed with biographies of the people involved.

A couple particularly good reads are "Chaos: Making a New Science" and "The Annotated Turing".  The latter is especiallly interesting to anyone who studied computer science where The Turing Machine is ubiquitous.

Anyone have any suggestions I can add to my reading list?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
-- Herman Melville

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Lot's of things, but not sure what would be of interest. Also, of course most books are in German from German authors, probably unknown here. I read a lot about economy, media manipulation and politics these days, a bit conspiracy reading, but of the economy type. How we are lied and manipulated about the economy from mass media, mostly, and purposefully kept stupid. Fascinating stuff, but not for the faint of heart. ;)

(I am a regular follower of the Keiser Report and the Alex Jones Show. Yeah, I am that kind of guy...)

Also I am reading a lot of history, always have been. Recently a lot about WW1 and WW2. German historians are, alas especially bad about these topics, overly (and inaccurately) overemphasizing the German perspective. A read I found fascinating was Patrick Buchanan's "Hitler, Churchill and the avoidable war", which proven how much Churchhill wanted a war and pushed for a war with Germany, which he hated, and had done so even 10 years before WW2, and Poland was ruled by aggressive warmongering military-junta at the time. Two rarely admitted facts.

So, an English reading list, sorry, isn't something I can't serve with, alas.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Elikal

Lot's of things, but not sure what would be of interest. Also, of course most books are in German from German authors, probably unknown here. I read a lot about economy, media manipulation and politics these days, a bit conspiracy reading, but of the economy type. How we are lied and manipulated about the economy from mass media, mostly, and purposefully kept stupid. Fascinating stuff, but not for the faint of heart. ;)

(I am a regular follower of the Keiser Report and the Alex Jones Show. Yeah, I am that kind of guy...)

I find economics rather bland.  It's one of those things I learned because it was important not because I enjoyed it.  My areas of interest always leaned heavily toward math and science.  I stay away from politics as much as humanly possible.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by dave6660
    Originally posted by Elikal

I find economics rather bland.  It's one of those things I learned because it was important not because I enjoyed it.  My areas of interest always leaned heavily toward math and science.  I stay away from politics as much as humanly possible.

Ah well, understandable, but much things going on in Europe, and I found I didn't understand a lot about economy, so I wanted to learn and have a reasonable opinion about these things. They kinda like a thriller! But also horrible. Oh my..^^

I used to read a lot about science when I was younger, so it's kinda the reverse way for me. It doesn't much interest me anymore these days.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert