Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for a new player?

BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137
Greetings fellow adventurers, I am a new player to Rift. I am wondering if anyone has any advice for a new player to the game. I am enjoying the game so far. I have a lvl 12 rogue and no other characters at the moment. Does anyone have and money making advice? What/where shoudl I hunt? Is it to early to find a guild?

Comments

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Bathnor
    Greetings fellow adventurers, I am a new player to Rift. I am wondering if anyone has any advice for a new player to the game. I am enjoying the game so far. I have a lvl 12 rogue and no other characters at the moment. Does anyone have and money making advice? What/where shoudl I hunt? Is it to early to find a guild?

Try to find a caual leveling guild asap. Try leveling profs as you level its very benefitial, Instand adventures give lots exp. Dont pass up world events when they start. If you are on deepwood feel free to message me if you need a guild.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

You can start doing Instant Adventures. Its a good way to meet people. Pay attention to guild tags for people you think are nice or not. There is also a guild search feature that lets you customize a filter for the type of guild you're looking for.

Once you get into the 30s, money really starts flowing in from quests. If you can afford a couple extra soul slots, buy them and create support, heal, and tank roles if you can. That way you can queue up for dungeons and fill any role. It gets you more money and more xp much faster. And the wait times are usually less than a minute. Your rogue can fill the roles of tank, dps, and support. If you can check all those, youll always get a dungeon going in no time.

I dont know why, but fish of any level sell for a decent amount and you can always fish up trophy fish which sell for a ton. So when you get time, pick up fishing and survival for when you want to do something different.

Crafting is a money pit until you hit max level imho. I would try to level it up as you quest in the appropriate area.

Have fun and welcome!

• DrealgrinDrealgrin Member UncommonPosts: 156

here's my advice.

Don't be an interesting person.

Trion bans all of them.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Here's my advice. Ignore instant adventure to start with. You will just outlevel your current content if you don't. IAs are great for quickly leveling alts and for grinding sourcestones at endgame but are rubbish for gaining money, not to mention they get boring pretty quickly. Since you are new, just do your daily IA quest and don't do anymore after that. There's tons of content out there you havn't seen and you don't yet need to quick fix they give. You will be grinding on IAs enough once you are done leveling, don't do it before you need to.

Questing and gathering is your best bet for money right now, selling the gathered mats of course. Make your main have all three gathering professions and make 2 alts to learn all the crafting professions, 3 each. Then just mail your mats to your crafters when they need them. If you arn't into crafting at all get all 3 gathering proffessions on all your characters so you can sell the mats. If you gather everything and sell it all you will have 'almost' all your roles, costume slots (not a priority) and bank slots unlocked by level 50 and will be able afford your mount upgrades at the appropriate levels... should have plenty spare change after all that as well.

Other advice is to save all your planarite and sourcestones. Save it ALL until you are level 50, otherwise you're just wasting it. Anything you get with it will be replaced pretty quickly and isn't a game changer in the first place. Turn all your lower level sourcestones (Vile and lower) into planarite at the planer vendors in each zone and keep it all. You will need it at 50 and it'll save you extra grinding to get your first endgame items. Gold, when you first get to 50, is far less valuable than sourcestones and planarite.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Drealgrin

here's my advice.

Trion bans all of them.

"Bitter, party of one."

Oh, that's your table.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Vannor

Here's my advice. Ignore instant adventure to start with. You will just outlevel your current content if you don't. IAs are great for quickly leveling alts and for grinding sourcestones at endgame but are rubbish for gaining money, not to mention they get boring pretty quickly. Since you are new, just do your daily IA quest and don't do anymore after that. There's tons of content out there you havn't seen and you don't yet need to quick fix they give. Questing and gathering is your best bet for money right now, selling the gathered mats of course. You will be grinding on IAs enough once you are done leveling, don't do it before you need to.

Other advice is to save all your planarite and sourcestones. Save it ALL until you are level 50, otherwise you're just wasting it. Anything you get with it will be replaced pretty quickly and isn't a game changer in the first place. Turn all your lower level sourcestones (Vile and lower) into planarite at the planer vendors in each zone and keep it all. You will need it at 50 and it'll save you extra grinding to get your first endgame items. Gold, when you first get to 50, is far less valuable than sourcestones and planarite.

i cannot agree with this about the IAs as you get the best gear in game from 1-about 48 doing IA's and getting the sourcestone dailys. IF you do these daily at least the daily quest every day by the time you are 50 you will have a decent amount of planarite for your 7500 sigil and gear that is good. You do not make as much money as you would questing but selling cloth on the auction house nets big returns. I just leveled a cleric from 1-42 now in 4 days and never once went to my mains for cash or sourcestone. I have 95 plat the second mount level 25 for 90% speed and all blue and purple gear on and can plow through just about any content.

IF you want to maximise your Rift experience do Instant adventure daily in your home city for the 3 purple sourcestone rewards , complete those 7 adventures then do some questing to fill in some of the cash and gear gaps. Sell all your cloth or extra resources you do not use , on my shard faeblight mining nodes sell for about 10 times the amount as cloth or leather etc . Craft as you go is WAY cheaper than crafting at end game so if you have a interest in crafting then do it. The only thing that will slow you down is optional and thats fishing and survival , i did them on one toon and will never ever again as they are worse than wows fishing and cooking. Selling your meat picked up for kills will always net you good leveling money on the AH also and artifacts will bring you good money to collectors also on the AH.

Once you hit 50 start doing chronicles and try and do the weekly/daily zone wide events for sourcestone heading to ember isle until you have enough hit/toughness to run experts etc. Im in a pretty large guild with 3 of my 4 50s and i can tell you personally unless its a guild that runs lower level stuff , you wont be grouping up that much so i wouldnt worry about it especially through /spam tells in chat channels as those guilds usually are after numbers and help just leveling their guilds. But most guilds that are established are running end game raiding on my shard but i cannot speak for all just my experience.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by cronius77
    Originally posted by Vannor

/snip

i cannot agree with this about the IAs as you get the best gear in game from 1-about 48 doing IA's and getting the sourcestone dailys. IF you do these daily at least the daily quest every day by the time you are 50 you will have a decent amount of planarite for your 7500 sigil and gear that is good. You do not make as much money as you would questing but selling cloth on the auction house nets big returns. I just leveled a cleric from 1-42 now in 4 days and never once went to my mains for cash or sourcestone. I have 95 plat the second mount level 25 for 90% speed and all blue and purple gear on and can plow through just about any content.

IF you want to maximise your Rift experience do Instant adventure daily in your home city for the 3 purple sourcestone rewards , complete those 7 adventures then do some questing to fill in some of the cash and gear gaps. Sell all your cloth or extra resources you do not use , on my shard faeblight mining nodes sell for about 10 times the amount as cloth or leather etc . Craft as you go is WAY cheaper than crafting at end game so if you have a interest in crafting then do it. The only thing that will slow you down is optional and thats fishing and survival , i did them on one toon and will never ever again as they are worse than wows fishing and cooking. Selling your meat picked up for kills will always net you good leveling money on the AH also and artifacts will bring you good money to collectors also on the AH.

Once you hit 50 start doing chronicles and try and do the weekly/daily zone wide events for sourcestone heading to ember isle until you have enough hit/toughness to run experts etc. Im in a pretty large guild with 3 of my 4 50s and i can tell you personally unless its a guild that runs lower level stuff , you wont be grouping up that much so i wouldnt worry about it especially through /spam tells in chat channels as those guilds usually are after numbers and help just leveling their guilds. But most guilds that are established are running end game raiding on my shard but i cannot speak for all just my experience.

This is advice from someone who leveled an alt.. which IAs are good for, as I said. I also said to do the daily IAs.

The reason I say not to do the IAs is because you have better things to do as you level. If you want to level straight to 50 and arn't bothered about about missing out loads of the game's questing experience then IAs is the fastest and easiest, it's actually pretty brainless <-- which is great when you've already done all the questing before on another character.

I just think focusing on IAs when you are new is a waste and will make you burnt out and get bored of the game much faster than you should do. If you want more 'fun', don't make IAs a priority beyond the daily quests for them. You will also learn your calling/class/souls better while questing than you would while doing IAs.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

here's my advice.

Trion bans all of them.

I hate to agree, but I have also seen this happen too many times to be ignored.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Instant adventures may be tempting, but they are really for alts. You'd be short changing yourself if you skip. I'd suggest finding a guild although that's not necessary while leveling. Keep in mind, Just by doing the content, you will outlevel your zones, so unless you are planning to expereicne all the content while levleing, there is no need to stay focussed on completing zones. Get your levels and move on. Mix in the PVP arfronts and dungeons as they become available. PVP gear for leveing is actually easy to get and is worth supplimenting your leveling gear with. Definiately pick your professions to match your class. Apothacary, Runecrafting and Artificing go with everything. You wouldnt take weaponsmithing or armorsmtihing if you are a mage, Likewise War wouldn't take Outfitter. I'd also not recommend Apoth for a 1st character. You can choose 3 main profs, As a 1st toon, I'd pick one crafting and 2 supporting gathering profs. If you choose to take 2 crafting, you'll have to figure out how to get the 2ndary mats for many recipies. (Unlike WoW, one gathering prof doesn't support one crafting. There is overlap.) And do every zone invasion that you can get to.

• BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Thanks for all of the replies. I will start looking for a casual guild as I am a casual gamer now. I have taken outfitting as my main craft on this character. I did notice that the crafting is similar yet different from WoWs crafting system. I was also wondering what the PvP server is like?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Bathnor Thanks for all of the replies. I will start looking for a casual guild as I am a casual gamer now. I have taken outfitting as my main craft on this character. I did notice that the crafting is similar yet different from WoWs crafting system. I was also wondering what the PvP server is like?

Unfortunately, PVP servers in Rift do not offer you anything redeeming in terms of PVP.
    They really should call it,
    Yes, I wish to be harassed while leveling
    No, I do not wish to be harassed while leveling.
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I tried out Rift Lite and really like it. It's very much a WoW clone, but the Rifts are different and fun, and I'm looking forward to the new things coming in the expansion out on the 12th.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1

here's my advice.

Trion bans all of them.

I hate to agree, but I have also seen this happen too many times to be ignored.

Trion doesnt ban near enough.  Ill pay 20 a month for a game that bans people that act like asshats in public channels.  People that use racial and sexual orientation slurs arent interesting.  People that say stuff like 'WoW was the first MMORPG ever" just to get people riled up arent interesting.