Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A couple weeks in - disappointed

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Having a very hard time staying interested and motivated to play this game.  Unlike Wizard101 with crafting, pet managing, gardening, pvp, etc - there is not much to do here except quest endlessly.  And unfortunately, I find questing to not be very fun since the battles in this game can take FOREVER to get through.  Literally, if you enter a battle with  a few other players it is not uncommon in the slightest for it to last anywhere from 10-20 minutes.  Even a battle with no other players is almost always close to 5 minutes in length.  Also, there just isn't really much to do.  The only thing that they brought over from Wizard 101 is housing and the mini games.  Besides that any other extra game systems that can be a good time diversion and break from questing (gardening, pet management, pvp, crafting, etc) is not here.  And there are no extra game systems exclusive to Pirate 101 either that would make sense (treasure hunting, etc).

All in all to me it's a bit disappointing.  Especially since the game's subscription model is very gimmicky in my eyes as well.  You have to pay a subscription or buy lands and then on top of that the crown shop is filled to the brim with items that you cannot get in game and that do make your character better and more powerful.

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Battles do take a lot of time, which is unfortunate because it forces you to solo more just to save time.

As for crafting etc. It's the same old complaint of newly released titles, not having as much content as older titles. Most if not all titles are released in a barebone state. Even sequels. It takes time for them to catch up in content. You will always complain about this issue no matter what new title you play. You get to the end and wonder why it doesn't have the X, Y, Z features the other game has. The answer is ... have patience. It will. Come back to it later when it has the content you have gotten used to

Other than that it is a greedy moneygrab game and it does that part very well. Free to play not free to enjoy

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Starpower

Battles do take a lot of time, which is unfortunate because it forces you to solo more just to save time.

As for crafting etc. It's the same old complaint of newly released titles, not having as much content as older titles. Most if not all titles are released in a barebone state. Even sequels. It takes time for them to catch up in content. You will always complain about this issue no matter what new title you play. You get to the end and wonder why it doesn't have the X, Y, Z features the other game has. The answer is ... have patience. It will. Come back to it later when it has the content you have gotten used to

Other than that it is a greedy moneygrab game and it does that part very well. Free to play not free to enjoy

I agree and disagree - while most mmo's do come out with less content than ones that have been out for a while, this is an  EXTREMELY bare bones release.  Crafting and pvp are very  commonplace to launch with and typically another small feature or unique something as well.  Considering how much they borrowed and used from the Wizard 101 game as far as graphics, character models, EVERYTHING, it comes across as a bit of a money grab to be honest - which as you said, isn't hard to believe based on their business model and cash shop that KingsIsle use in their games.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Margulis

Having a very hard time staying interested and motivated to play this game.  Unlike Wizard101 with crafting, pet managing, gardening, pvp, etc - there is not much to do here except quest endlessly.  And unfortunately, I find questing to not be very fun since the battles in this game can take FOREVER to get through.  Literally, if you enter a battle with  a few other players it is not uncommon in the slightest for it to last anywhere from 10-20 minutes.  Even a battle with no other players is almost always close to 5 minutes in length.  Also, there just isn't really much to do.  The only thing that they brought over from Wizard 101 is housing and the mini games.  Besides that any other extra game systems that can be a good time diversion and break from questing (gardening, pet management, pvp, crafting, etc) is not here.  And there are no extra game systems exclusive to Pirate 101 either that would make sense (treasure hunting, etc).

All in all to me it's a bit disappointing.  Especially since the game's subscription model is very gimmicky in my eyes as well.  You have to pay a subscription or buy lands and then on top of that the crown shop is filled to the brim with items that you cannot get in game and that do make your character better and more powerful.

There is alot of questing :-D. At the moment, Pirate101 is not as polished as Wizard101. But then Pirates was just recently released and has had no content updates. Give them a little time! I am sure Pirates in the near future will be similar to Wizard101. As to time consuming battles. Had a 90 minute ranked pvp match last night. A very long battle. Which is not unusual in Wizard101. I do believe you are not used to the style of combat  compared to what Wizard101 uses. I personally do not have a issue with the battles. They seem to go very quickly for me.

I love the companion system in place. PVP would be a big plus for Pirates.

Hopefully they will have a content patch coming.