Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what do the "NOT-GW2" gamers play?

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Op, answers in this thread say everything.

Even a couple of the mega anti gw2 crowd have shown up, but notice how they never even mention what they think is better?  They are unwilling to pair their game to their OWN criticisms that they throw at gw2 because of how hypocritical it is.  Lol.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Scorchien
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

I finished my Vanguard playthrough a couple weeks back.

Now i'm largely playing Neocron 2 and Minions of Mirth.

Sometimes I log on my EQ Shadowknight, if I can get a group going, I might play that for the night.

Two friends of mine who were all excited up for GW2 being the best MMO ever have already gone back to Lotro. I have no idea why, as I can't stand that game either.

MoM is a great game... :)

If it weren't for the second M being in caps, that would have been a very weird post to make...

Ah white lantern, the staunch mop defender.  At least you hid the wow in your list.  You should match up some of your rages against gw2 with mop.  Naw, not worth it... Would be too profound.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Thupli
    Ah white lantern, the staunch mop defender.  At least you hid the wow in your list.  You should match up some of your rages against gw2 with mop.  Naw, not worth it... Would be too profound.

I'm not even sure what you're on about here. Perhaps you should look at my post history to see my "staunch" defense.

Profound, indeed!

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• DuilyonDuilyon Member Posts: 326

Really into The Secret World at the moment. Love the whole idea of building your own class. Not really liking the depenence on gear or the fact there are still technically levels.

The combat, graphics and dungeons are amazing though. Story line is pretty good. It is a really quality game. Wish there really were no levels and no dependence on gear. But small price to pay. 

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    GW2 was not the game I was expecting. Doesn't make it a bad game. Currently, I'm playing WoW. I play WoW because it has far more dungeons, plus I prefer turn-based combat over a quasi-action combat system, and I like the trinity over no trinity.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    I like GW2 as well, but am liking TSW  for its modern setting, storyline, investigation missions, dungeons and the class-free system.  Also enjoying LOTRO simply for the vast world -- the landscapes in that game are gorgeous, and there's plenty of content there to explore.  Both games have great communities.
  • ZharreZharre Member UncommonPosts: 80

I won't be arguing 'superiority', as I have zero interest in playing GW2 so I have no standing for comparisons. I play TSW and occasionally Vanguard , and would be playing City of Heroes if NCSoft wouldn't have decided to slaughter it for no reason. GW2 holds no interest to me, and while is even less interesting now due to being under NCSoft's banner, it didn't interest me before NCSoft's decision regarding CoH.

I play TSW because I LOVE the Investigation and Stealth/Sabotage missions, the 'real world' setting, the ability wheel, how they structure their dungeons, the writing style, the sense of darkness and of humor, and much more.

I play Vanguard because it's a HUGE world that hearkens back to my original MMO gaming days in EQ1, with the addition of an absolutely fantastic crafting and the unique Diplomacy system.

I played City of Heroes because I could play the exact same archetype fifteen different times with different powersets and have completely different characters every time. Then do it again for another archetype, and again for another, and...you get the point. I could create my own missions to share with the community. I could change the way my character looked (not just clothing, but body build and even gender) and save multiple appearances to change on a whim. I could group with someone thirty levels different than my character and one of us could temporarily raise *or* lower our level to match. I or my group could set the difficulty level for each mission we went on to match our combat prowess and wishes. I could do a multitude of things that whilst one or more can be found in other games, NO other game has them all. Oh... and I could FLY.

I can't say 'GW2 isn't all that' for everyone, I can only say that it wasn't anything at all for me.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Even a couple of the mega anti gw2 crowd have shown up, but notice how they never even mention what they think is better?  They are unwilling to pair their game to their OWN criticisms that they throw at gw2 because of how hypocritical it is.  Lol.

I've noticed that as well! Even viewed some people I've blocked because they were so bad, in this thread just to see if they did that, nope nothing just a mention of the game title. sigh.

Went back and checked, there are quite a few people I've blocked who continue to post negative things in other threads about GW2 but are oddly nowhere to be seen in this one. hmmm.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Subbed to Mabinogi. Open class system (you pick a talent that enhances certain skills, though every character can rank all skills to max from Rank F to Rank 1). Player based economy and actually useful crafting. Housing that matters. Multiple main storylines with tons of sidequests. Age/weight system with fully dyable items. Races that have an actual difference (Giants can dual wield bigger weapons, use a shield with lance - Elfs can shoot two arrows at once, hide, etc). NPC's that have personalities. Action combat that isn't a zerg fest but requires thoughts. If an enemy attacks, use defense or counter attack. Smash through a defense. Counter a smash or hit them with a normal attack. That's just the basic melee skills.

It has it's drawbacks - mostly Nexon keeping some bugs in game longer than they should have, though they're getting better at it the past few months.

Edit: Only to add to the thread - I bought GW2 a few weeks ago after waiting for the initial hype to die down (didn't wanna be caught in the swarms I saw in videos). I played a few weeks and couldn't bring myself to login. The game just felt like an arcade MMO, if there was a way to describe it. I felt the same way over GW1, though I finished all the campaigns eventually over the course of a few years. It seems the open world aspect of 2 didn't change that feeling.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Is it actually relevant what others play? Can people buy GW2 and be disappointed and vocal about it? And what is it to you if they prefer "x" or "y" MMO? Nothing. They might even say they like WoW, and yet they could also be playing EVE as well. What MMO they play is irrelevant and doesn't say much about them either.

Some members who bought GW2 were badly disappointed with the game, that's pretty much the gist of it. Just like some members can be overly vocal about how awesome GW2 is, there will always be people to point out the other side of the coin as well.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Deivos

EDIT: As for other games I'm playing. I'm playing PS2 also. ^_^

Additionally I pop on to play Firefall, DDO, and Raiderz. Sometimes I play a few other games as well, but these are all largely not specifically because I love the games, but because I love certain concepts or design elements of them and like poking about seeing how they work.

Are you NC?!?! or TR?!@ Where you at I'm coming!!!!image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Is it actually relevant what others play? Can people buy GW2 and be disappointed and vocal about it? And what is it to you if they prefer "x" or "y" MMO? Nothing. They might even say they like WoW, and yet they could also be playing EVE as well. What MMO they play is irrelevant and doesn't say much about them either.

Some members who bought GW2 were badly disappointed with the game, that's pretty much the gist of it. Just like some members can be overly vocal about how awesome GW2 is, there will always be people to point out the other side of the coin as well.

Some admitting to not even playing the game as well. Though to be fair it was 1 or 2. What's funny is you'll find them in a majority of threads bashing, thouh to me it's expected

True.

Any way hope all you guys are enjoying life and the games you play, for this thread , peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

My point is simple.  I understand if you thought it would be a total departure of everything mmo, and that's what you needed to stay entertained with the genre.  The reality is most are playing other games that have far more repetitive and old design features that wouldn't stand up to the criticisms that they are holding gw2 to.  Simple point, really.  Actually, there have been many in this thread tat have provided reasons that I understand, but simply don't agree with.  That's cool and I respect that.  Now the biggest spotters of hate for gw2 ... They are unable to acknowledge that gw2 did anything well or improved on any mmo designs yet play the same od games that are boring them out of their own minds.  It's the double standard that kills me.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Is it actually relevant what others play? 

I think it really depends on the nature of the complaint.  Sometimes yeah, people make it sound like other MMOs are so much better.  Not always though.

I think this would be an especially fair question, if asked in the "looking for game" forum - because if there's a recent MMO better than GW2, I'd love to try it. (Problem is, I've tried them all, and probably disagree.. but still, worth discussing, maybe)

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

currently mostly playin wow n sometimes i dive into anarchy online cause theyr a cpl o the few games i can run w my single core p4

might try it out in a years time thn i shuld ave saved enuff to buy a new comp n monitor :)

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I'm playing EQ2, not because of what GW2 is not but what EQ2 is. Since '05 I've been playing EQ2 on and off and IMO offers the fullest MMORPG experience out right now.

The main pull is what there is to do outside of combat. All, well 95%, of MMOs have combat and some do it better than others. In this area GW2 is at the top if the list IMO. What ties me to EQ2 however is the crafting, housing, character customization (both cosmetically and skill wise), mounts, dungeon making, etc. The variation and depth to EQ2 is great. My main draw to MMOs are from a fantasy nerd angle. EQ2 provides the best fantasy median to just "be".

I will have many hours spent into GW2 before EQN comes out but right now I crave something a bit deeper.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

It's difficult to answer that question.  If you're wanting to play a single MMO for a number of months or years at a time, GW2 is probably one of the worst games on the market.  It doesn't have enough content to keep people playing for long periods of time unless they are the type of people who are OCD about having 100% map completion and all achievements.

For a game to play for a few months in between major MMO releases, there's few games on the market that offer more bang for your buck.  I'd rank GW2 up there with C9, Vindictus, and Dragon Nest as excellent games to play for people who have limited amounts of time for gaming.

Personally, I'm not playing much of anything atm.  

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Been playing Mechwarrior Online, and Planetside 2 off and on.

Waiting for Darkfall Unholy Wars.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by itgrowls

I've noticed that as well! Even viewed some people I've blocked because they were so bad, in this thread just to see if they did that, nope nothing just a mention of the game title. sigh.

Went back and checked, there are quite a few people I've blocked who continue to post negative things in other threads about GW2 but are oddly nowhere to be seen in this one. hmmm.

I currently playing Rift, why do i chose this over GW2?

Lets start with Rift having more "Guild Wars" then GW2.

devs/updates. Rifts consistant updates bring more content, and generaly more things to do then a week long event consisting of a jump puzzle and 5 minute long instance on last day.

Longevity, some people rather not have stat progression. But with raids alone, you can be set on PvE alone for long time with just one raid. and again with updates its infinite with new release raids.

Carrots. grinding for a cosmetic that in the end helps me in no way is only amusing to a certain point.

Dungeons require you to do more then zerg bosses. yes in gw2 its more efficient not to zerg. but doesnt require skill to progress.

Raids, fact guildwars2 doesnt really have anything that a full guild can accomplish together is meh. PvE wise.

Exclusiveness,  gw2 lets anyone, good or bad at the game, casual or hardcore to have same items and everything. just like prestige in CoD, GW2 just takes time to grind.

Pvp, i would give gw2 the upper hand in this, But lets face is WvW is broken, bugged, and if on bad server pretty dull. Actually even on winning server can get pretty dull... (defending SM for example.. stand on wall and AoE rams/treb) and doesnt help you have many invisible enemies. and you can pretty much win most control points in WvW with just having mass people to do supply runs/build siege weapons.

SPvp is ok at best. i do like the fluient action based pvp.. but with everyone with nukes or instant heals.. turns out to be another zerg fest. Rift is definitely slower, and has static casting.. but feel like takes more team skill. and pugs require you to work more as team.

No open world pvp. another +1 rift. This is Huge for me. nothing like ganking a group as they do a rift.

But I do play rift more so for pve. Tho im heavily into pvp games, rather just play rift and dota for my pvp.

Housing, nuff said.

Hacks, tho not sure how plentiful now-a-days... but i did jump back in few days ago.. and already saw a speed hack in sPvP in like 2nd game.

Talents/Classes. extremely more customizable.

I'm sure theres more, but Im kinda bored and watching old james bond.. cheers

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

My point is simple.  I understand if you thought it would be a total departure of everything mmo, and that's what you needed to stay entertained with the genre.  The reality is most are playing other games that have far more repetitive and old design features that wouldn't stand up to the criticisms that they are holding gw2 to.  Simple point, really.  Actually, there have been many in this thread tat have provided reasons that I understand, but simply don't agree with.  That's cool and I respect that.  Now the biggest spotters of hate for gw2 ... They are unable to acknowledge that gw2 did anything well or improved on any mmo designs yet play the same od games that are boring them out of their own minds.  It's the double standard that kills me.

It's not exactly a double standard.

GW2 was supposed to remove the grind (or so the developers claimed at one point in their videos), bring questing on a whole new level, remove the holy trinity, etc.

Except that for some players, they felt that whenever they wanted something they had to grind it (armors, etc). Even if purely cosmetic, the need to grind for a fairly significant chunk of time in order to complete a set, sort of go against the "no grind" aspect they were told to expect. The same goes for questing, ultimately, for many GW2 simply removed the Quest Givers and nothing really ever changed, you're still killing 10 rats to help a farmer (or you can water his plants too). And although many were hopeful that the removal of the holy trinity would be an interesting change, many felt that it didn't work out really well. And remember, this is purely subjective (as is any opinion).

In fact, it might not be that they have an issue with the features themselves, but the way GW2 implemented them is. And just because they may also play a MMO that does not innovate on an old design does not imply a double standard. As I've said in a previous post, players could be playing both WoW and EVE at the same time (which are pretty much polar opposite). They simply offer a different set of features or mechanics that fulfill different needs. Players who were disappointed in GW2 were hoping it would fulfill certain needs of a  different experience, something their current MMO might not fulfill at the moment (but does fulfill them in other areas), but it didn't work out that way for them.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by maddhatter44
    Originally posted by itgrowls

*snip*

Way to be maddhatter, now it's my turn too.

Longevity - GW2 has little to no longevity unless you have OCD and find running around the map for countless hours walking on top of points of interests and waypoints for no reason fun. You can be level 80 in full exotics in a week in GW2...so unless you have OCD you're gonna' get bored, like I did. TERA at least has dungeons that you won't beat on your first try, or even your 15th, or maybe never if you don't get geared and skilled enough. Something to progress towards. There's also progression in PvP, both through skill and gear, you can't just get handed gear and a flavor of the month class+build and instantly succeed in TERA PvP. I've played my warrior religiously for months to get to what people consider a respectable skill level with my class, and people know that, the good warriors are known by everyone on the server.

PvP - GW2 has no OWPvP and it's instanced pvp is buggy, imbalanced, meaningless and a giant zerg. TERA has OWPvP and Dueling, the two types of PvP I enjoy the most, while there's some imbalance and buggyness in PvP this can be offset with skill due to the fact TERA has actual skill based combat and a larger array of skill to choose from.

Customer Service - GW2s customer service is atrotious, they couldn't even provide me with a reason why I was issued a temporary ban on the forums. While in TERA, for one, i've never been banned from the forums and two I can open up live chat and get in contact with someone immediately that will perform quite impressive things for me... like un-soulbinding a cosmetic I aquired on one character to give it to another one.

Bots/Spammers/Hacks - While I witness bots, get gold selling e-mails and see hacks on a daily basis in GW2 I never experience any of this in TERA.

Community - Because people have a name and there's OWPvP, global chat and Vanarch system + guild emblems beside your name people have identities and communities are formed. I have made so many friends in TERA, meanwhile 500 hours played in GW2 and i've only met one fellow who's stuck around and become a friend of mine. Because there's no need to group, everyone gets xp for anything they touch, therefore nobody talks they just zerg.

Also, TERA has more guild wars than GW2 as well.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    I was playing gw2 often but i stopped that and have been playing champions online. The character editor is awesome and all those freeform builds are just fun. I spent about a week on my level 40 just making the perfect build for it.

Sadly i dont find much of the content enjoyable and because i already have 5 level 40s from when i played during launch n stuff, i will never level a char up again.

Still praying for lair updates :(

Id play gw2 but my stealth assasin in co is just too fun to mess around with even with binary levels of difficulty.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Starcraft 2, Skyrim, Borderlands 2 Torchlight II, Diablo 3 and Dishonored. Plenty of non mmo games to play when mmos are just mediocre.
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Playing SWTOR, WOT, Skyrim, with small dash of GW2 once in a while. Beta'd Mechwarrior enough that I'm gonna wait for the game to release. 

WTG for World of Darkness and maybe Elder Scrolls online. 

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes