Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A space mmo game reflection.

freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

I have been searching for the next freelancer for a decade and having nothing worth my time really; always missing this or that. Never really making me relive the freelacer game experience but with proper updated features from new mmo's.

To hear and see that Roberts himself is making what I have been waiting for all this time almost makes up for the void in space games; I am starting to see the light at this long tunnel of fantasy and failed space mmo's.

Some of you may think that Jumpgate or Black Prophesy or Eve filled  the space mmo deficit but they all have fallen sort in 1 way or another.

When I bought Eve for $5 at a dollar store I thought it was going to be like freelancer. The first time I logged in I was painfully surprised to see that it was a click to move game where there was no real action in the combat. I think that was like 9 years ago.

I have tried very hard to like Eve because I like spaceships but it is done wrong in my opinion in key areas like combat, content and lvling; by wrong I mean it just is not fun. 2-3 hour missions that you can literally fall asleep at and a mining mechanic that has no interesting feature.

You want interesting mining you go to Firefall or the old Jumpgate. Eve was made with dungeon and dragon style combat in mind and I'm not even talking about the new video game D&D online.

IMO Eve is not a real space game; it is a board game on a massive scale in real time. In that it excels; beyond that it falls just short of a good space game that immerses you. You feel like it is an advanced MUD game and really that is Eve in a nutshell. Yes you can mine and do real-time combat but it is farmville in a space back drop with pvp and that's all it will ever be to me.

Eve will never be a space game to me. I remember space invaders and galaxaga where you actually dodged enemy fire; that is what a real space game is about; actually steering your ship, flying your ship through enemy fire like a wasp avoiding raindrops; flying your ship man, that is what makes you forget about the real world and makes you lose your shelf to the vastness of space. With out that all you have is a lame focus fire, number crunching, accounting game.

Star Citizen will give us the ability to play in a persistent universe and fly our ship just like the old days of freelancer. And eventually Roberts said there will be space to own and plunder. Even if Roberts himself does not maintain a sever farm we will have our private server farm; Roberts gave his blessing. So yeah you will see me and the rest of the old school freelancer and privateer pilots leaving Eve in 2 years cause Roberts made his goal of 2,000,000. We made sure of it.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    You do realize the flight combat model of Freelancer is totally unrealistic right? It more closely resembles the mechanics of airborne flight in atmosphere.

I think Larry Niven and some others have written a few books about what space combat would really be like and EVEs is closer. (but by no means realistic either)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Elite uses true space flight mechanics

Freelancer, freespace, privateer, xwing etc.. use a mix of space and aeronautical mechanics.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Elite uses true space flight mechanics

Freelancer, freespace, privateer, xwing etc.. use a mix of space and aeronautical mechanics.

Elite 2 did, elite 1 was more standard. 

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Instead of a Pro Star Citizen thread. The OP spent most of his time telling us why he doesn't like EVE. 

I am really looking forward to Star Citizen. It apears to be what I am looking for in a space game. I hope it lives up to what I would like it to be. 

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    You do realize the flight combat model of Freelancer is totally unrealistic right? It more closely resembles the mechanics of airborne flight in atmosphere.

I think Larry Niven and some others have written a few books about what space combat would really be like and EVEs is closer. (but by no means realistic either)

Freelancer was more like atmosphere sure; Jumpgate was near Newtonian flight and Eve is just barley playable with it's camera spinning nightmare point and click and wait for a reaction type of frustration that makes space flight into an eye bleeding joke and uninteresting.

If you look at the presentation where Roberts explains the flight model he points out the 4 rotating steering thrusters and explains how the fight engine responds to your directional input by asking the relevant thrusters how much thrust it has to give. If a thruster has been damaged then the amount of thrust is less.

This is really above and beyond freelancer and Jumpgate to be sure. It allows for control and immersion that to me a real fun space game should have in it's flight engine.

• freejackmackfreejackmack Member Posts: 378

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz Instead of a Pro Star Citizen thread. The OP spent most of his time telling us why he doesn't like EVE.  I am really looking forward to Star Citizen. It appears to be what I am looking for in a space game. I hope it lives up to what I would like it to be. 
    Eve has dominated the space themed mmo space for some time and so a lot of us play it or have played it and it was a good diversion. But we have been stuck with barely anything but Eve for so long that I wanted to express what I have missed about what space games used to offer and what they used to be and why Eve, while it is good in some areas it is not good enough to do the space genre justice. I wanted to explain why. I wanted to illuminate the youngsters as to the old ways of space flight and point out that there is a different way; a better way imo.