Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DF dodges macro question - macroing is in

Quote from latest interview:

" To give one example, in the first Darkfall, the skills that where macroed quite a lot where movement skills like run sprint and swim because of the benefits they provided to relevant passive skills. In Unholy Wars this will not be the case as movement skills can no longer be leveled up."

Ok first of all... you didn't 'macro' sprint or swim you just hit numlock and swam into a wall.  That is not a macro.  You didn't do it to level up swimming, you did it to raise stats.  The guy didn't mention if these activities will have an impact on stats - if they do then expect to see afk swimmers.  If they don't then expect to see afk melee macros to raise stats, or whatever function raises stats.

He also mentioned heal self and transfers are in, and I assume some buffs are in - all of these spells are easily macroed.

The macro question was totally dodged and the obvious answer is that, yes, people will macro their spells and stats just like in DF1.

Be prepared to get your macro on or fall behind.

Comments

• PanossianPanossian Member Posts: 94

Macro'ing is something that's going to happen in any sandbox/skill based game, it's been around long before DF. It's just an evil that will always exist. Other then the change mentioned in the response to the Paragus Rants Q&A AV has reduced the time it takes to level skills so that person macro'ing might get that faster but it won't take you long to catch up.

Everything AV has done to DF is to make it easier for the average MMO player to develop a DF character and enjoy the game rahter then sit for hours raising skills. It won't be perfect but DF:UW will be a great game and the launch should not be missed for anyone who prefers an open world, pvp/pve, politically driven MMO.

Current Game FFXIV (Cactuar)
    Looking for 1 healer for 8 mans.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by psykobilly

" To give one example, in the first Darkfall, the skills that where macroed quite a lot where movement skills like run sprint and swim because of the benefits

Ok first of all... you didn't 'macro' sprint or swim you just hit numlock and swam into a wall.  That is not a macro.  You didn't do it to level up swimming, you did it to raise stats.  The guy didn't mention if these activities will have an impact on stats - if they do then expect to see afk swimmers.  If they don't then expect to see afk melee macros to raise stats, or whatever function raises stats.

He also mentioned heal self and transfers are in, and I assume some buffs are in - all of these spells are easily macroed.

The macro question was totally dodged and the obvious answer is that, yes, people will macro their spells and stats just like in DF1.

1. "they provided to relevant passive skills. In Unholy Wars this will not be the case as movement skills can no longer be leveled up."  All a matter of how you interpret that, plus whats lost in translation

2. Of course people that wanted to effectively raise those skill macroed. (eating, resting)

3. Self heals/buffs rank at a much lower rate in DF

4. The "need" to macro is greatly reduced via the role system, reduced grind and meditation. (raising skills offline)

Whens the last time you played DF as the need is already greatly reduced. (skilling has to be 40+ times faster than release)You can become PvP viable in days now...

Hell AV even added auto harvest/crafting in DF1

Macroing is the least of my concerns.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Panossian

Macro'ing is something that's going to happen in any sandbox/skill based game, it's been around long before DF.

What?? Macroing is one of the worst thing you can put in a skill based game. It takes out a huge part of skill from any game. It's just there to dumb down the game so that noob players who can't press multiple keys fast can now do it the easy way. If DFUW have any kind of macro, I surely won't be playing the game.

• PanossianPanossian Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Macro'ing is something that's going to happen in any sandbox/skill based game, it's been around long before DF.

What?? Macroing is one of the worst thing you can put in a skill based game. It takes out a huge part of skill from any game. It's just there to dumb down the game so that noob players who can't press multiple keys fast can now do it the easy way. If DFUW have any kind of macro, I surely won't be playing the game.

Players macro with 3rd party programs, it's not built into the game.

Current Game FFXIV (Cactuar)
    Looking for 1 healer for 8 mans.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Hancakes

1. "they provided to relevant passive skills. In Unholy Wars this will not be the case as movement skills can no longer be leveled up."  All a matter of how you interpret that, plus whats lost in translation

2. Of course people that wanted to effectively raise those skill macroed. (eating, resting)

4. The "need" to macro is greatly reduced via the role system, reduced grind and meditation. (raising skills offline)

Whens the last time you played DF?

1.  The post was disingenious at best.  You're right it depends how you interpret it - but not my point.  My point is that there is going to be an activity that does raise stats (I assume that's what he means by 'passive skills').  More than likely the activity can be macroed in some way.

2.  Not the skills I'm talking about.

3.  How do you mean?  Heal self and conversions at 99 were very important to DF vets.  They were core staples along with many other (witches brew etc.).  Have you ever cast a buff other spell on your friends back in DF1?  Those buffs were very significant (they buff for double on backs if you didn't know).  If you really believe this you were doing it wrong - any competitive DF video you will see extensive use of self heal and conversions... and at the beginning of the fight you will usually see cross buffing.

4.  If grind is greatly reduced then the macroers will cap out early and move on to other things, which is fine.  Last I checked the meditation system allowed you to raise schools of magic, not individual spells - when was the last time YOU played DF?  I doubt meditation will allow you to raise individual role skills, but we don't know for sure.

Originally posted by SirFubar

WTF does DFUW having macros have to do with people using macros? (third party)

Whens the last time you played DF?

1.  The post was disingenious at best.  You're right it depends how you interpret it - but not my point.  My point is that there is going to be an activity that does raise stats (I assume that's what he means by 'passive skills').  More than likely the activity can be macroed in some way.

2.  Not the skills I'm talking about.

3.  How do you mean?  Heal self and conversions at 99 were very important to DF vets.  They were core staples along with many other (witches brew etc.).  Have you ever cast a buff other spell on your friends back in DF1?  Those buffs were very significant (they buff for double on backs if you didn't know).  If you really believe this you were doing it wrong - any competitive DF video you will see extensive use of self heal and conversions... and at the beginning of the fight you will usually see cross buffing.

4.  If grind is greatly reduced then the macroers will cap out early and move on to other things, which is fine.  Last I checked the meditation system allowed you to raise schools of magic, not individual spells - when was the last time YOU played DF?  I doubt meditation will allow you to raise individual role skills, but we don't know for sure.

1. whatever

2. you werent talking about running and swimming???

3.  Im not sure how that going to work

4. You can also use it on stats. image Not to mention the things already covered

AV has made steps to mitigate the need to macro in UW,  to what extent we wont know until release.   Sadlly, macroing will always be a part of any MMO.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

AV has made steps to mitigate the need to macro in UW,  to what extent we wont know until release.   Sadlly, macroing will always be a part of any MMO.

I don't think Macro's are a bad thing, I think certain macros can be a bad thing.

It depends on the method of use and how complex it might be. 

Having a macro that clicks the bandages, and then selects your own character ALA  Ultima Online style is very nice, helps out everyone and I feel is essential to the game play.

Having a macro system that allows you to AFK fish / craft / skill up.  That detracts from good gameplay.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Having a macro system that allows you to AFK fish / craft / skill up.  That detracts from good gameplay.

Im not sure how left clicking ever few seconds adds to gameplay, AV added the auto craft/fish/harvest feature long ago. (thank god)

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

If they put in a macro system built in the game that was pretty basic to make up for the button shortage people have playing the game it would be fine.  Also, an auto click function for those of us that don't want arthritis.

The third party software is the problem. AV can't regulate what it does and tends to lead into cheating that AV can't do anything about.  Macros should have logic or move the mouse but many of them do.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742

Those darn macroers.

Why can`t the macroers write some proper code and bot like they do in WOW, GW2 and the rest of the real mmos :P

Report them and hope AV is better at banning players than GW2.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

I don't feel the dodged the question at all , I thought it was clear their answer was along the lines of " You won't need to macro to be viable this time around". Does that mean macroing won't exsist? No ... some people will always take the easiest/quickest path to a goal. If they have implemented the mechanics properly, as I see it, I won't need to macro. I'll be able to play the game, pve and pvp and enjoy my time there without worrying about getting behind.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Macro'ing is something that's going to happen in any sandbox/skill based game, it's been around long before DF. It's just an evil that will always exist. Other then the change mentioned in the response to the Paragus Rants Q&A AV has reduced the time it takes to level skills so that person macro'ing might get that faster but it won't take you long to catch up.

Everything AV has done to DF is to make it easier for the average MMO player to develop a DF character and enjoy the game rahter then sit for hours raising skills. It won't be perfect but DF:UW will be a great game and the launch should not be missed for anyone who prefers an open world, pvp/pve, politically driven MMO.

didnt really exist in MO, but thats a story for another day.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    Macros didn't exist in MO deathshroud? You have to be joking. Everyone I've met I'm that game macroed to level the following:

1:sprint macros for breathing technique
    2: macros to max archery by shooting priest
    3: macro to max weapon skill/aggressive stance
    4: macro to raise crafting/delete 3rd item in bag
    5: macro for spell training(ecu,mental focus,etc)
    6: macro for snooping/pilfering
    7: macro for raising pet level after awakening
    8: macros to ride in a circle and max riding skills

The actual armor training and various movement skills are maxed by running into nets or buildings overnight. Get real mate, it happened in MO just the same. Any game that levels via repeated action is prone to macroing.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

" To give one example, in the first Darkfall, the skills that where macroed quite a lot where movement skills like run sprint and swim because of the benefits they provided to relevant passive skills. In Unholy Wars this will not be the case as movement skills can no longer be leveled up."

Your argument is redundant, you don't understand the changes in UW

Skills like running and swimming are already maxed, so they can't be exploited.

The combat skills can be macroed if you want (like in any other game), but there is no need to, since the time it will take to max your skills will be considerably lower than the original DF.

In DF to have a competitive character took at least 1 year with macroing (longer if you didn't macro)

In UW maxing 1 single school it will take a couple of months, 1 month if you macro.

So the reason to macro is not there anymore.

Of course there will be some hardcore players who will macro anyway, but they will hyave an advantage for a very short time only, not enough to justify the effort.

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    I don't give a shit.I'm going to have my fun rising my stats normally and let them "play" the game afking while i'll kill them every time i pass by.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

They totally didn't dodge the question...lol, basically they say it doesn't really matter.  You do realize that in every game with the programs out there, some type of macroing can be achieved right?

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Honestly there is no PvE only in Darkall its more like PvE while you PvP, so maybe it should be called a PvEvP game.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

seriously this was one of the best thing i loved about Mortal Online (direct competition to DF). the fact that skills took only a few weeks to max out. after that you spent your time fighting and building and farming, not macroing or grinding stats.

combat was not about who had been grinding for the longest, but  soley who was more skilled and could play better as a group. sure, because of all the bugs, "skill" in MO ended up being who could exploit the prediction more, but the idea behind the whole mechanics was awesome.

Skill should be about who can aim, block, move better and use their skills for maximum effect instead of who has more HP and damage becaue they spent the last 6 months afk macroing.

put a damn cap on skills-stats! and force people to make tough choices on what skills/spells they can have available at the same time. then you'll see skilled combat and especially skilled group combat.

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    Well thankfully av has learned that lesson so the point is moot.
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

seriously this was one of the best thing i loved about Mortal Online (direct competition to DF). the fact that skills took only a few weeks to max out. after that you spent your time fighting and building and farming, not macroing or grinding stats.

If Darkfall launched with its current progression rate it would have done much better.  Attributes hitting 100 in 3 days of mediation and skills flying up at 50x, I'm very hopeful they got it right in UW.

Originally posted by YojimboBimbo
    Macros didn't exist in MO deathshroud? You have to be joking. Everyone I've met I'm that game macroed to level the following:

The actual armor training and various movement skills are maxed by running into nets or buildings overnight. Get real mate, it happened in MO just the same. Any game that levels via repeated action is prone to macroing.

completely different.

in DF who macroed the most was the strongest and had considerable advantages. if you didn't macro you had besically no chance vs someone that did macro.

in MO if you didn't macro you would reach skill cap in 3 weeks, if you did macro you would reach it in 1 week. nobody cared who macroed, because capping stats/skills was retardedly easy.

the point in MO was not to grind your stats to supremacy, but to fight to gather resources, claim and protect your lands, build your keep/village (while at the same time try destroy your enemies stuff) and eventually try take over control of a town. you actually spent time PLAYING, instead of grinding to oblivion just so as not to fall behind everyone else in the race to "statdom".

Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    Originally posted by YojimboBimbo

completely different.

in DF who macroed the most was the strongest and had considerable advantages. if you didn't macro you had besically no chance vs someone that did macro.

What DF is/was vs MO is rather moot.  But, as stated above things have changed drastically in DF regarding skilling up.

What DF is/was vs MO is rather moot.  But, as stated above things have changed drastically in DF regarding skilling up.

we can only hope. but seriously if they did truly cap skill/stats and put restriction on what skills you can have DF UW will be very very fun. I will miss the immersion of forced first person view of MO though especially in melee combat......meh, can't have it all  i guess.....

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

Macro'ing is something that's going to happen in any sandbox/skill based game, it's been around long before DF. It's just an evil that will always exist.

Here come the excuses...