Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

En Masse, too little, too late, but I applaud their efforts.

PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

EME is doing a great job of hanging on to their last bit of players, since the server consolidation the GMs have been everywhere, talking in game chat, on the forums, appearing in game, granting random people the ability to fly and just today they did a flash event where they spawned a bunch of Kelsaiks(big boss) in pathfinder post and rewarded chests when they died.

They announced a PvP tournament, fixed enchanting, brought back the old limited time cash shop items, are transparent on the forums, announced a big halloween event, and announced a poster contest in the last two weeks, they are actually being part of the community and it's holding on to the people that are still playing.

I applaud their efforts, however I can't help but feel it may be too little too late, but only time will tell I guess. Wish they were fun and transparent since the beginning, instead of having almost 2 months where they dissapeared from the forums and in-game, guess they realized you can't run an MMO without being a part of it.

Why can't companies learn what EME had to learn the hard way right from the start? Seems like it would be obvious by now...

Comments

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Interesting OP.  I do not play Tera (too many games and not enough time) but I have been puzzled myself of what appears to be a hands-off approach by all developers when it comes to it bringing MMO and RPG to MMORPG's.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

EME is doing a great job of hanging on to their last bit of players<>

<>and it's holding on to the people that are still playing.

<>however I can't help but feel it may be too little too late<>

I'm very bitter the way things went down for TERA. It's no worse than the other Korean crap in their own country and yet it flopped. It flopped so hard it put Christina Aguilera's Bionic's flop to shame.

And it all came down to content, I believe. Not fast enough? Not varied enough? Money could've been an issue.

Which makes me think how hard did NCsoft's cockblocking them hurt the company in the long haul. Remember the game launching prematurely in S-Korea?

Europeans got the short end of the stick with a F2P-rate publisher. It's really nice reading EME's doing everything they can for their NA crowd. Who knows how much time TERA's got left.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Originally posted by NBlitz

EME is doing a great job of hanging on to their last bit of players<>

<>and it's holding on to the people that are still playing.

<>however I can't help but feel it may be too little too late<>

I'm very bitter the way things went down for TERA. It's no worse than the other Korean crap in their own country and yet it flopped. It flopped so hard it put Christina Aguilera's Bionic's flop to shame.

And it all came down to content, I believe. Not fast enough? Not varied enough? Money could've been an issue.

Which makes me think how hard did NCsoft's cockblocking them hurt the company in the long haul. Remember the game launching prematurely in S-Korea?

Europeans got the short end of the stick with a F2P-rate publisher. It's really nice reading EME's doing everything they can for their NA crowd. Who knows how much time TERA's got left.

I just think the content was too artificial to go through. I played for about 2 months starting with one of the last closed beta tests. Loved the game for about 40 levels or so and realized what an artificial grind the rest of the game was...and I don't use the term grind very loosely. Just seemed a little pointless to get all the T13 armor, enchant it so you could do the same for the T14 armor. Guess I miss the old games where there was more options for gearing up than just doing the same few dungeons over and over. That said...I may resub to Tera because I can accept it for what it is now after expecting more. The dungeons were great and I absolutely LOVED tanking on my Lancer. I don't see it as a long term home, but I think I could play for a few months yet and get quite a bit out of it.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670

EME is doing a great job of hanging on to their last bit of players, since the server consolidation the GMs have been everywhere, talking in game chat, on the forums, appearing in game, granting random people the ability to fly and just today they did a flash event where they spawned a bunch of Kelsaiks(big boss) in pathfinder post and rewarded chests when they died.

They announced a PvP tournament, fixed enchanting, brought back the old limited time cash shop items, are transparent on the forums, announced a big halloween event, and announced a poster contest in the last two weeks, they are actually being part of the community and it's holding on to the people that are still playing.

I applaud their efforts, however I can't help but feel it may be too little too late, but only time will tell I guess. Wish they were fun and transparent since the beginning, instead of having almost 2 months where they dissapeared from the forums and in-game, guess they realized you can't run an MMO without being a part of it.

Why can't companies learn what EME had to learn the hard way right from the start? Seems like it would be obvious by now...

TERA EU is so much worse.En masse are gods compared to gameforge.

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Member UncommonPosts: 117

Loved it at first but stopped playing because.

*At about level 38 the leveling slowed waaaaay down and was boring

*Only one weapon per class , i liked tanking but HATED using a oversized toothpick for a weapon

*They were putting in more effort into a cash shop then fixing things.

*Too much of the same swords, shields and magic crap.

I will say that Tera has a spot in my heart though. I had a great time the first few weeks and the graphics were mind blowing.

Unlike SWTOR I actually walked away with pretty fond memories and it was prob a top 5 mmorpg for me but just to much like wow.

I hope SWTOR shuts down and every person involved is fired.

I hate Bioware

I hate EA

I hate SWTOR

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119
    Maybe in 1 year or so I will give tera one more shot. For now, I don't see myself paying 15/month for it.
  • BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333

They're probably desperate because they're about to lose their jobs. I think this is an industry lesson: Don't let Brian Knox produce any games, he belongs in the QC department, not doing any thinking like he has been before he produced (Censored) this game and did nothing for Aion (Except ignore launch week spam bots).

EME had it coming to them and I'm glad they're going down in flames. So many things they did wrong, including lying to the player base, censoring the game/forums, and allowing players to harass Elin players on the forums/game because they didn't agree with what the Elins were.

Oh yeah, they also pulled the scuzzy card of adding cash shop and legalized RMT (Chronoscrolls) to a box purchase/sub game.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I won't say it was a bad game, but I lost interest at around level 35 due to slow leveling and nothing really new to keep me playing it.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Yeah they are doing so much except doing the things that would actually bring people back.

I quit because of the enchanting system. RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG on top of GRINDING was an extremely bad way to mask lack of end game content.

Yeah, they added a way to get a 100% chance to upgrade but its a lazy fix and still only part of the problem. Maybe next they can work on a lazy fix to the Masterwork system.

• Reas43Reas43 Member Posts: 297
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Yeah they are doing so much except doing the things that would actually bring people back.

I quit because of the enchanting system. RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG on top of GRINDING was an extremely bad way to mask lack of end game content.

Yeah, they added a way to get a 100% chance to upgrade but its a lazy fix and still only part of the problem. Maybe next they can work on a lazy fix to the Masterwork system.

Well, they ARE doing somethign to the enchanting system.  Might not be what you wanted but they are doing something, and it's not just the 100% Alkahest (which is not in yet - next patch so its in game price remains unknown), it's also overall increase in enchanting rates in general (already in).  Those currently in game are pretty thrilled of the results so far.  Granted - it's not the IDEAL solution - but they are listening and acting.

Changing enchanting is not a simple little thing, since so much of the money sinks are tied to it.  But you have to remember, all those things the OP posted, and more (Arena 3v3/5v5 is being added) have been done - acted upon - five (5) - FIVE months, less than half a year after the NA launch AND having lost 20% of its workforce.  I'd disagree with the OPs pessimistic asessment of too little too late - EME is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing: acting.  I sure hope everything had launched perfect from the get go but so far I am quite satisfied with their reaction times and implementation on key things.  They could've gone BioWare or SOE and dragged their feet.  But in the 5 months between launch and now the game is far bettter than it was at launch.

A more thorough and "non-lazy" fix to enchanting will probably take much more time to implement.  I'm happy they didn't wait and wait till a less RNG dependent system is available, so I'm content with an immediate relief in the meantime.  EME is publishing in NA a Korean title and implementing important  changes based on customer feedback at a better clip than I've seen in many "domestic" titles. Gotta give credit where its due.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by Reas43

Originally posted by Xiaoki Yeah they are doing so much except doing the things that would actually bring people back. I quit because of the enchanting system. RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG on top of GRINDING was an extremely bad way to mask lack of end game content. Yeah, they added a way to get a 100% chance to upgrade but its a lazy fix and still only part of the problem. Maybe next they can work on a lazy fix to the Masterwork system.
    Well, they ARE doing somethign to the enchanting system.  Might not be what you wanted but they are doing something, and it's not just the 100% Alkahest (which is not in yet - next patch so its in game price remains unknown), it's also overall increase in enchanting rates in general (already in).  Those currently in game are pretty thrilled of the results so far.  Granted - it's not the IDEAL solution - but they are listening and acting.

Yes, they are acting upon the problem with enchanting but it is completely ineffectual of the greater problem with the game as a whole.

So, they are applying a bandaid to a gun shot.

To truly bring Tera back from the brink they would need to be able(ie allowed to do so by Bluehole) and willing to completely change most aspects of the game. Yeah, this would upset the fans but currently they are the game's worst enemies.

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

The enchanting change was nice and annoying. Annoying as in the day it hit, the screen would be spammed with everyone getting +9 and +12 nonstop. I like KTERA's new enchanting system. Everytime you fail with an enchant, your chances of success increase.

Like every theme park mmo, content will always be an issue. MMOs in general need more side content besides the typical dungeons/raid and battlegrounds. The GM presence in game is great though.

Originally posted by Postcards

The enchanting change was nice and annoying. Annoying as in the day it hit, the screen would be spammed with everyone getting +9 and +12 nonstop. I like KTERA's new enchanting system. Everytime you fail with an enchant, your chances of success increase.

Like every theme park mmo, content will always be an issue. MMOs in general need more side content besides the typical dungeons/raid and battlegrounds. The GM presence in game is great though.

Well, in OBT it was +6 spam.  It will peak, it will go down, I can live.  The KTera changes sounded good, but did not apply to T14, the changes adapted by EME do.

• PostcardsPostcards Member Posts: 105

If I remember correctly, the overall increase success rate applied to T13 only for KTERA.

The increase success rate of Green and Blue fodder applied to all tiers.

The increase success rate when failing was added in another patch later in KTERA which applied to all Tiers.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556

Hey I applaud EME's efforts as well, at least they are trying. But they can only keep it up for so long when BHS does absolute jack for their game.

EME has recently announced that Tera will be getting a 3vs3/5vs5 BG and a EOL PVP ranking system. But if you look closely, the new BG's are actually the old BG's that they took out before NA launch. Nothing like taking out old content and then putting them back in and saying it's new released content..lol

I think that TERA has a lot of potential, but that potential is being squandered due to lazy, short-term profit obsessed BHS developers who are more concerned about putting all of their energy into the cash shop as opposed to the actual game that players subscribe to.

It's their own fault. The power creep between tiers is so incredibly high and there are NO incomparables, so the game's fundamental systems DEMAND an absurdly fast content release schedule or ridiculously grindy RNG gating. I am not going to defend Bluehole for making stupid design decisions.

They could have gated players for much longer simply by making more incomparables, by making the gaps between tiers less extreme. Even if enchanting had zero random aspects to it, and simply required gathering materials for a guaranteed plus-one, it would take the same amount of time--if not more--to max out several different sets of gear so that a hardcore min-maxer could have the highest possible degree of power for every different encounter.

TERA has no gear variety. TERA has no real sidegrades. TERA has no multiple paths of progression. TERA does not have incomparables. TERA's in-game economy is entirely system-derived and thus suffers severely when the developers make a mistake in adjusting it. TERA has far, FAR too much power creep between tiers, which means old content is not supplemented with new content, but REPLACED with new content, rendering the old content completely superfluous.

Also has Brian Knox, left EME ? I haven't seen anything from him in 2 months. I know COO Patrick Wyatt has secretly left EME, so I wouldn't be surprised if Brain Knox has as well.

You bring Patrick Wyatt again?   He never "secretly" left, he left before the game launched in NA, a long time ago. 

As for the other, 2 months ago when the shakeup to the staff ocurred Brian Knox's title changed to executive producer with a job description pertaining to asessing future possible titles (considering EME's leaner staff and focus on TERA one has to wonder how busy can that role be).  I guess it would be safe to assume that he's a producer at EME but not "producing" TERA proper.  Since 2 months back Hager has taken up pretty much not just the poducing role as he always did but appears also to be the "face" of the game, as Knox was.

As for the game itself - enjoy for what it is, there's much to be enjoyed.  Hopefully they make it better with time, and they sure seem to be at it.  *shrugs*

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I think a big thing that really bothers me about it is Tera's combat (to me) was simply the best combat system you can find in a traditional open MMO world. It was so fun and just so entertaining. Everything else just seemed like a tiny after thought that it dragged the game down. No game has come close to the feel of combat (raidz perhaps but I feel its very clunky in comparison and GW2... yeah... not going there) and it only bothers me more that they had such amazing concept with the combat and even the PvP 'territory' deal was such a great idea not feeling fully executed.

Why Tera Why! If only you made the experience more fun and provided a more enriching expiernence with at least more entertaining quests you could of been a big hit!

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Why Tera Why! If only you made the experience more fun and provided a more enriching expiernence with at least more entertaining quests you could of been a big hit!

If we gave TERA over to Anet they could turn it into something special, BHS is just mentally incompetent.

They make some of the worst design choices and everything they implement is an amazing idea but they don't finish what they start, unfinished vanarch system, unfinished owpvp, GvG, everything is halfway finished and lacking purpose but the ideas in general are great.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Purutzil

If we gave TERA over to Anet they could turn it into something special, BHS is just mentally incompetent.

They make some of the worst design choices and everything they implement is an amazing idea but they don't finish what they start, unfinished vanarch system, unfinished owpvp, GvG, everything is halfway finished and lacking purpose but the ideas in general are great.

...Eh... I wouldn't say that. ANET isn't exactly sparkling with great design choice with with the 'lets dumb it down for everyone and add dodge in to call it 'action combat' ' philosophy. They did at least spice stuff up but GW2 I feel did a lot of wrong and lots of undercutting I feel that hurt the game more then helped. 

I'd rather trust it to Trion. They always carry through with any new ideas they try out and push it through.  The desire to 'finish' what they start and really push the envelop really would do well with a game like Tera. Thats another conversation though, lets just simply say that BHS is just a bit 'lacking' in finishing their work and I feel they don't really have the resource or talent to get it all done. They spent I'm sure a large time on the combat (partly why its so amazing) which ends up causing other areas to lack a bit.

• StinkFootStinkFoot Member Posts: 25

Seems that En-Masse received an rating of an F from BBB and Frogster a D.

http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/internet-gaming/en-masse-entertainment-in-seattle-wa-22689503

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/video-games-wholesale-and-manufacturers/frogster-america-in-san-francisco-ca-316678

There were plenty screw-ups done to the game, but I strongly feel these two companies gated their players more than anything. The multi-player status they were trying to gather from the greed of Blizzard franchise gold-rush has failed to be impressed. Rather than sticking to the original concept of the game and adding it, and shaping a few mechanics for a more pleasurable experience they chose to ignore their fans and strip the game down until the server merges and the numbers of players dropped.

Tera had potential but the game was ultimately mishandled and cut short of what it could have been. A M-rated game has fairly been treated as a T-rated one. I've seen much worst in Age of Conan that deserved the M+-rating then what Tera offered by some standard fan-service and a corspe or a blood dungeon. Secondly the Tera community has been filled with mostly a strong stigma of racism and biased attitudes. Something that should not be in a temporary MMO game.  It's a sad sight to see Tera filled with the worst cesspool of players around and the most racist and judgemental types.

Regardless of the decisions made for Tera it has also opened my eyes to the Comic Code type biasm problems carried by the MMO industry. Unfortunately due to such biasm these are two companies that I will not be supporting with my wallet on any possible future titles published under them.  But also judging by their BBB rating and from experience, they weren't that good to began with.

• peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 175

TERA was virtually dead in Korea before it even released western. They now have a F2P server.

We get terrible publishers that do almost nothing. Doesn't help the game is pretty bad in general. It's the unfun grind and mechanics that punish people for playing the game (enchanting). At first glance the game seems okay but there's no substance at all as soon as you start playing it.

2012 worst MMO year so far.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by Vardahoth
    Originally posted by StinkFoot

Seems that En-Masse received an rating of an F from BBB and Frogster a D.

http://www.bbb.org/western-washington/business-reviews/internet-gaming/en-masse-entertainment-in-seattle-wa-22689503

http://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/video-games-wholesale-and-manufacturers/frogster-america-in-san-francisco-ca-316678

There were plenty screw-ups done to the game, but I strongly feel these two companies gated their players more than anything. The multi-player status they were trying to gather from the greed of Blizzard franchise gold-rush has failed to be impressed. Rather than sticking to the original concept of the game and adding it, and shaping a few mechanics for a more pleasurable experience they chose to ignore their fans and strip the game down until the server merges and the numbers of players dropped.

Tera had potential but the game was ultimately mishandled and cut short of what it could have been. A M-rated game has fairly been treated as a T-rated one. I've seen much worst in Age of Conan that deserved the M+-rating then what Tera offered by some standard fan-service and a corspe or a blood dungeon. Secondly the Tera community has been filled with mostly a strong stigma of racism and biased attitudes. Something that should not be in a temporary MMO game.  It's a sad sight to see Tera filled with the worst cesspool of players around and the most racist and judgemental types.

Regardless of the decisions made for Tera it has also opened my eyes to the Comic Code type biasm problems carried by the MMO industry. Unfortunately due to such biasm these are two companies that I will not be supporting with my wallet on any possible future titles published under them.  But also judging by their BBB rating and from experience, they weren't that good to began with.

As much as I wish I could agree with all of this... I can't about the BBB. The BBB is known for giving a bad rating to any company that is not willing to throw them extra cash their way. I will say during the 3 months I played tera since the release date, their customer service was some of the best I have seen. They offered online chat support, and would do everything in their power to make sure the customer got satisfactory results.

Now, having said that, I will say there were a few things I did not like about the way En Masse ran things:

#1 they lock 60% of the posts on the forums reguardless if it goes against forum posting rules or not. Give you an example they locked this forum:

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/End-game-Tera

Not denying what your saying but that post got necroed after 2 months. It pretty much needed to be locked. I have yet to see a forum that doesn't lock or delete necroed posts.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I absolutely love Tera and I'm still subscribed. However, my guild died and then I joined another guild only to find it wasn't active and was also dead.

without that guild stuff that leaves me with pugs and I despise those.

I still log in but I can't get myself to do pugs so I usually just make some money for an hour and log off. Essentially I need to fiind a good active guild and would love them to give new content.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Vardahoth

Someone asked me if I would come back to tera now that they are fixing the enchanting system. My answer was for me, that was only the tip of the iceburg, and that everything that I once loved about an mmorpg I realize I will never see again. The rest can be shown on the post I made a few months back when I quit:

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/End-game-Tera

Since I have heard the developers for Tera were the same developers from Lineage 2. I was hoping it was going to be the next lineage 3. Sadly I was wrong. Here is the mmorpg model I was hoping for (and I provided a link for a longer version at the bottom which tells just about everything that makes and breaks an mmorpg).

*****Copied & Pasted******

Lineage 2 (c1 - c3) had the perfect mmorpg model. It took a very long time to hit cap level and you pretty much had to duo/trio in open world to level up your character fast. Otherwise you would have to rest alot if you solo'd, and group parties of 9+ players were actually happening and took coordination to level up. It was an open world pvp game that encouraged player interaction and respecting eachothers leveling spots (or you pvp for them) with a karma system that allowed players to drop loot/items if they were red.

No gear was binded to you, so you could always resell what you overenchant (and there was plenty of over enchanted gear on the market that I had to buy because I never had any luck with enchanting in that game either). People lost exp/levels when you died which made the drama and death of players very intense and gave wars between clans (so they could be at the best leveling areas, and kill the best raidbosses) meaning.

What happened to that wonderful game?

The WoW generation took over and it became the following:
    You no longer drop gear/items to monsters when you die.

All leveling became instanced.

All end game raid bosses became instanced.

The amount of exp you lose when you die now is 0.01% (instead of 4% which took days, and sometimes even weeks to get back unless you had enough money for a blessed rez scroll) and takes about 1 minute to get back.

Players no longer drop gear/items if they are killed while they are red.

The hero system was added making players merge into 1 zerg and allowing that zerg to obtain and own everything in game without allowing any other clan a slight chance of making a come back to get on top themselves.

The territory wars system was added with the same results as the hero system.

It became f2p, and then p2w as the best items (stats wise) in game were only available by gambling your real life money for the item and enchanting it. Yes, the best items in game were not available through the game itself.

*****Copied & Pasted******

http://www.onrpg.com/boards/showthread.php?204467-Looking-for-a-mmorpg-to-play

Lineage 2 was nothing but a gank and camp fest, how is that perfect? players did not respect each other because they were constantly in fear of losing their gear or being camped by some jackass who had nothing better to do. Perfect model? don't make me laugh. Lineage copied Everquest, Everquest had the most brutal pvp known to any mmo player. Lineage just copied them. How is any of that perfect? being griefed by high level players is not a way to encourage player interaction. On top of that NCsoft's gm staff were anything but helpful, in fact they were more of the 10 year old my dad can beat your dad up variety.  That article is just full of crap from a biased player.

Tera is doing alot of things right, but what they need is more content to drive the game instead of leaving the content at a stale state. Wow is successful because Blizzard knew how to be convinient to the players, there is no reason for a player to be feared of losing gear because some high level jerk had nothing better to do.

You want to prove yourself in pvp: there is arena, battlegrounds. On any servers no one is discouraged from pvping in the world. No one does it because they know there's a better place to prove their superiority. Just like life, you don't prove you're the better manager by beating up the rival manager, you beat them on company profit earn and get that promotion. Why should games be any less convinient? If people think harsh pvp with the chance of losing gear is a good model then perhaps they need to check the timeline it is no longer the 90's, games and players have evolved. People/company can't evolve or understand that then they deserve to be left in the dust, just like Lineage, swtor and many other games to come that promises to bring evolution.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I absolutely love Tera and I'm still subscribed. However, my guild died and then I joined another guild only to find it wasn't active and was also dead.

without that guild stuff that leaves me with pugs and I despise those.

I still log in but I can't get myself to do pugs so I usually just make some money for an hour and log off. Essentially I need to fiind a good active guild and would love them to give new content.

I found your post interesting, because at present I'm on a similar spot for the opposite reason.  My guild was too active, and I'm the type of person who regularly needs some "me" time.   It got to the point I almost stopped logging on my main so I didn't feel obligated to pay attention to g-chat.  I go through spells like that.  What I did was play an unguilded character and proceedd to hunt and learn for farming spots on my own to raise gold. 

If I were you I'd spend 3-4 days scanning the Server Guild list and see their Praise rates, scan global and LFG chat and see who's who (and from which guild) and check who's gotten a hold of the Northern Sharan Vanarchies or Bastion.  Those tend to be more active and require more Policy Point activity, which also indirectly points to level of guild member activity.  After thsoe 3-4 days then check their relevant websites and see guild forum activity.

Sounds like a lot when you read it, but I think it'll be worth yoiur while.

You're on Tyrannas I assume?

In my opinion, a guild that fits you makes or breaks the MMO more than the MMO itself.