Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking For A "Dynamic?" Raiding Game

centrik91centrik91 Member Posts: 175

Hey all,

So after playing GW2 for a bit, I'm getting a little burnt out, however, this is after about a 2 year break from seriously playing MMOs.  So, I'm looking for a new game to sink my teeth into!

I'm looking, specifically, for a game with great PvE content.  I love challenging bosses that require coordination between players.  I'm a big fan of raids, however there are a few things I dislike about typical PvE content.

1) Gear Grind:  I'd rather not have my entire endgame PvE experience revolve around a grind for better gear.  As much as possible, I don't want to have to rerun dungeons over and over and over again.  So I suppose what I want is a large quantity of endgame content that is achievement based.  

2)Repitition:  Similar to 1, but in terms of design and mechanics.  I don't want to play similar looking/similraly designed raids with different textures.  I'm looking for a unique range of different dungeons/raids/whatever.

3)A healthy "menu":  I'm looking for a game that provides a number of activities at endgame as far as PvE goes, whether it be traditional raiding, smaller groups, solo content, etc.  Quality is what I'm looking for.

Of course, a good leveling system with fun content is a plus, too.  I'm considering Rift, and The Secret World, but I'm not really sure what game has the best PvE anymore.  

Thanks, everyone!

Comments

• Rift all day long. the leveling process is a bit lacking, but to get to max level should take you around 2 days played. the max level content in Rift is killer imho.

oh, and storm legion is coming in a couple weeks adding a crap ton of content.

edit: you may have added it afterwards, but TSW is also a nice game, but i didn't have as much to do at level cap. i think in time it may be a solid end game product, but right now it's a bit lacking compared to Rift. again, both games are solid, but Rift > TSW imo.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by centrik91

I'm looking, specifically, for a game with great PvE content.  I love challenging bosses that require coordination between players.  I'm a big fan of raids, however there are a few things I dislike about typical PvE content.

1) Gear Grind

2)Repitition

Your goals conflict with raiding in every game out there.  Not certain what your asking for can exist.

Raiding has barriers, and gear checks.  You're asking to bypass all of the preliminaries and go directly to the bosses.

"I'd lke to work as a nuclear physicist, but I don't want to go to college."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

You could always try RIFT. You won't be able to try the end-game, but you can play from Lv.1 to 20 entirely for free.  Although from what I heard, you'd be grinding for gear as well (you will be doing so for pretty much any themepark MMORPG, it's almost unavoidable).

But if you really like challenging bosses and raids, I'd actually suggest you give Vindictus a shot. It's a F2P, Cash Shop doesn't really give an advantage (power-wise) and the bosses are very challenging (after you get past the first 20-30 levels that is. Lv.20 also has a raid that's fairly difficult, but nothing overwhelming). You'll be grinding materials for crafting gear as well however.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

Isn't it about gear grind and rep? Isn't that the point of raiding? Dynamic raiding, I don't think is possable. I would like to see public open raiding available without daily caps being introduced. That would be cool. Closest thing I can think of is solo random raid with random generated dungeons so it's different each time.

Heros / henchment / assistances / helpers / other players / whatever else you need in a raid and the ability to create random raids or have open raiding at the end of a chain event is pretty much the closet thing I can think of which could make it happen.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No geary "raiding" tends to go with the everyone on the server pile on open world approach.

As far as I know there's gw2, daoc and the now shut coh with this.

Your wants kinda contradict though.
  • centrik91centrik91 Member Posts: 175

Fair criticisms.  I'm very highly considering Rift, TSW, EQ2, and Vanguard.  Which offers the best PvE content?  I'm worried about the populations of Vanguard and EQ2.   Leaning most heavily towards Rift given the recommendations.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Pick RIFT if you want an experience close to WoW, but still incredibly polished and with a hyper-active dev team.  It has some established end-game and an expansion is about to release.

TSW is a little different, but it won't be anything strange.  Some of the quests are involving (especially the research ones).  It's got a raid.

I wouldn't recommend Vanguard.  It still has low population and it's very buggy.

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81

Fair criticisms.  I'm very highly considering Rift, TSW, EQ2, and Vanguard.  Which offers the best PvE content?  I'm worried about the populations of Vanguard and EQ2.   Leaning most heavily towards Rift given the recommendations.

Gear grind is pretty present everywhere... EQ1 has the best raiding, still, imo - just because of forced specialization resulting in higher focus on forced team play. beating crap with 54 people is much more involved than beating crap with 25. That being said EQ1 is old as hell and the catchup grind(even with the progression servers) is pretty long. from the one's you listed I'd say Vanguard actually. Rift has MORE end-game content, but RIFT in general is pretty... bland. Vanguard's PvE content was more challenging imo, but then again it's a bit of a ghost town in the mid-levels(although f2p seems to be changing that).

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Rift is the best option.  but it does have a "gear grind".
  • f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by adrikthorsen

Gear grind is pretty present everywhere... EQ1 has the best raiding, still, imo - just because of forced specialization resulting in higher focus on forced team play. beating crap with 54 people is much more involved than beating crap with 25. That being said EQ1 is old as hell and the catchup grind(even with the progression servers) is pretty long. from the one's you listed I'd say Vanguard actually. Rift has MORE end-game content, but RIFT in general is pretty... bland. Vanguard's PvE content was more challenging imo, but then again it's a bit of a ghost town in the mid-levels(although f2p seems to be changing that).

Except in VG case you have to turn your graphics on low and you still lag while raiding APW. THe game has made leaps and bounds but it's still horribly optimized. Raiding in VG is also not less bland then it is in any other MMO. You know the song, you do the dance; the boss dies.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle

Rift all day long. the leveling process is a bit lacking, but to get to max level should take you around 2 days played. the max level content in Rift is killer imho.

This. How can you sink your teeth into a game that takes 2 full whole days to max level? RIFT was a decent game I will give it that, and it's development team at least tries. However the game is lacking and the community is definately not  the friendliest.

if you want a game with depth in all areas I would say vanguard, however find you a good guild. The population concerns are valid  however it has built up somewhat from what one of my friends has told me  since it opened its free to play option. I would highly suggest a subscription and station pass is probably the best subscription around. As you can play all SOE games with it vanguard doesn't do it for you, you could go do EQ2

Originally posted by Khaeros

Pick RIFT if you want an experience close to WoW

And this...no thank you..Vanguard, or even AION,

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by adrikthorsen

I agree for the type of diversity you are looking for, I would say give EQ1 a whirl.  Dont let its age prevent you from experiencing its depth.  This is 'pre-WoW' if you havent played before and requires a serious investment to get to the content you want to play.  But to me the journey (and there is a metric ton to do and go) is half the fun.  Also F2P and healthy populations at low to mid levels.

If you can handle its aged graphics EQ1 is definately the most in depth raiding you will find. As much as I LOVED EQ1 I prefer to keep looking back at it with the fondness that my pristine rose colored glasses offer.