Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Total Biscuit Video: Whats wrong with planetside 2

BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

I want to put this video out here, since TB is pretty much voicing alot of concerns the community have mentioned in beta.

Wont go into detail of what i feel about it , just that i agree with what was mentioned in the video (Old or not) and despite the PS2 dev team making big strides in fixing the game, there is simply too much stuff that still needs to be fixed/corrected - and TB said it best:

a November release is just cocky

Worse case scenario, this release , depending how bad it becomes, can potentially cheapen the appeal of SOE's Forgelight engine for their beloved EverQuest Next.  if the bad experience is strong enough, people can and will be turned off from the mentioning of the engine, siting Planetside2 as a example of the limitations and bugs that the engine harbors, whether it being the truth or not, just the nature of the business.

I said it before, still going to play the game and i got my survival gear and canned goods ready once the flood gates are opened and the game takes its turn to experience the Drama Tornado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E20z928GjoE#!

Comments

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    they could always push it back like they did with dcuo
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Beanpuie

I want to put this video out here, since TB is pretty much voicing alot of concerns the community have mentioned in beta.

Wont go into detail of what i feel about it , just that i agree with what was mentioned in the video (Old or not) and despite the PS2 dev team making big strides in fixing the game, there is simply too much stuff that still needs to be fixed/corrected - and TB said it best:

a November release is just cocky

Worse case scenario, this release , depending how bad it becomes, can potentially cheapen the appeal of SOE's Forgelight engine for their beloved EverQuest Next.  if the bad experience is strong enough, people can and will be turned off from the mentioning of the engine, siting Planetside2 as a example of the limitations and bugs that the engine harbors, whether it being the truth or not, just the nature of the business.

I said it before, still going to play the game and i got my survival gear and canned goods ready once the flood gates are opened and the game takes its turn to experience the Drama Tornado.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E20z928GjoE#!

Playing PS2 myself along with afew others , afew I mean like 10 of us, and we did not encounter any of those issues, game runs flawlessly on my set up no lag or stuttering what so ever , didn't run into any bugs , WAS a big fan of the battle field games , but PS2 is just so much fun, you got the social aspects and the action as well as progression, so for myself at least it's a win win situation.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    This is concerning as he was a massive planetside 1 fan, its his favourite mmo.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Can you use a controller to play? And how do I get into beta?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why would you use a controller? Mouse aim beats controller any day.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Its a SOE game, I thought "release before its ready" was the standing operating procedure for the company?

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Aeolron
    [snip]

Playing PS2 myself along with afew others , afew I mean like 10 of us, and we did not encounter any of those issues, game runs flawlessly on my set up no lag or stuttering what so ever , didn't run into any bugs , WAS a big fan of the battle field games , but PS2 is just so much fun, you got the social aspects and the action as well as progression, so for myself at least it's a win win situation.

Should play on West right now there still is server issues now and again. I am not sure if this is to them messring around with the servers and heavy logging things to test but as I see it sometimes the servers do have issues for a few hours at a time. I get awesome FPS I am not sure what TB is on about there but in big fights I get an easy 70 FPS.

TB's other points are all valid however I just do not agree on the bad performance side.

Edit - As the game stands now unless tomorrows patch fixes most problems they are going to be releasing before it is ready. 

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Yeah lets release our "almost finished' fps game the same month of two giants Call of duty: Black Ops2 and Halo 4

Freaking Brilliant!!!

LOL SOE are clowns.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

He used to like Blizzard games as well.  Now he hates anything they make.

He likes to complain a lot in his videos these days.  It must be getting him hits.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Its a SOE game, I thought "release before its ready" was the standing operating procedure for the company?

This^^^  lol

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

He likes to complain a lot in his videos these days.  It must be getting him hits.

I think Articulate and Objective critiques are what is getting him hits.

Hes not complaining because hes not just expressing dissatisfaction with the game, hes writing a detailed evaluation based off facts, mathematics, and first hand accounts from multiple different player standpoints, you know, trying to make the game progress!

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    After all his positve preveiws on SWTOR I lost all credibility for him, he is just in it for the hits now.

Originally posted by Saxonblade
    After all his positve preveiws on SWTOR I lost all credibility for him, he is just in it for the hits now.

Im sorry by "Positive" do you mean "Less Critical"? Because I remember watching all his videos concerning TOR and I mainly remember him being very lax with his critique's but I dont remember him being overly positive. If you have a link to a video where he is than that would be great.

For example in TotalBiscuits Space Combat video he says at the end that Space Combat is "Not really worth investing alot of time into", and basically says its an "Interesting Diversion". 

To me thats not praise.

And either way why does his opinion on a different game make his points about Planetside 2 less valid?

Are you telling me you disagree with his opinion that the game needs more variety for capturing bases, less emphasis on solo Aircraft damage, and more incentive to actually hold bases??

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Kind of Off-topic, but what is Planetside 1 like, and what do you need in order to go play it?
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    I always appreciate TB's opinion. I gotta agree with most of his critiques.  Especially when he stated he doesn't think it's ready and it's a bad time for release.  Early- mid 2013 would be much better.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

TB is a HUGE fan of PS2, if you bothered to watch his video's instead of posting utter crap you'd know this.

TB has been posting incredibly positive videos about PS2 for months now, tournaments, alpha, beta, lots and lots of footage. This video....again, please watch the video before you comment, is a balancing video pointing out all the games current shortcomings in this late beta stage mainly as everything else he has posted has been overwhelmingly positive.

TB has ALWAYS complained in his videos, this is nothing new, he doesn't use the tag Cynical Brit for no reason. The thing is he presents his gripes in a balanced and contructive argument. He doesn't hate for the sake of hating or complain for the sake of complaining.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

Originally posted by Zinzan

TB is a HUGE fan of PS2, if you bothered to watch his video's instead of posting utter crap you'd know this.

TB has been posting incredibly positive videos about PS2 for months now, tournaments, alpha, beta, lots and lots of footage. This video....again, please watch the video before you comment, is a balancing video pointing out all the games current shortcomings in this late beta stage mainly as everything else he has posted has been overwhelmingly positive.

TB has ALWAYS complained in his videos, this is nothing new, he doesn't use the tag Cynical Brit for no reason. The thing is he presents his gripes in a balanced and contructive argument. He doesn't hate for the sake of hating or complain for the sake of complaining.

The guy was cupping Torchlight 2's nuts forever and saying it's everything D3 should have been.  Sure D3 has issues, but his anti-Blizzard agenda was out of control and now that TL2 has been out a while everyone has seen how shallow the game really is.  He ignored the biggest flaws of TL2 such as no closed servers, easily hacked characters and a very shallow endgame.

He isn't exactly objective or non-partisan in his critiques/rants.  He has definite agendas in many cases that go beyond pure gameplay analysis.  That doesn't mean every review is skewed, it jsut means I'd rather watch reviews from more objective reviewers. 

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

PS2 is a super fun game, however last patch introduced some bugs that take away from the super fun. Things like your own granade killing you if you trow it too far. Random suicides, ungodly amount of friendly fire/friendly collision deaths, and crashes. 

All that being said, I'm logging in right now and will probably play for the next 4-5 hours...

edit- since last post, one random suicide, one crash, one FF colision death lol. logging back in. None of this happened before last patch.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

The teleport problem has been an issue since day one of the beta,  and they say they fixed it,  however I got to say I saw it earlier.  So no.

As far as totalbiscuit, he rambles to much and I just wish sometimes he would get straight to the point instead of loving to hear himself talk.

The guy was cupping Torchlight 2's nuts forever and saying it's everything D3 should have been.  Sure D3 has issues, but his anti-Blizzard agenda was out of control and now that TL2 has been out a while everyone has seen how shallow the game really is.  He ignored the biggest flaws of TL2 such as no closed servers, easily hacked characters and a very shallow endgame.

He isn't exactly objective or non-partisan in his critiques/rants.  He has definite agendas in many cases that go beyond pure gameplay analysis.  That doesn't mean every review is skewed, it jsut means I'd rather watch reviews from more objective reviewers. 

Your completely avoiding the point that the other poster presented. What do you disagree with TotalBiscuit about concerning Planetside 2? Your post had literally nothing to do with Planetside 2 just Blizzard.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

I think OP predicting the engine will suck down EQN is a leap. If PS2 was an MMORPG then you might have a case, but the FPS optimization and world design in PS2 will be different from how they use it in EQN.

Iv'e been in battles bigger than 16 players (probaly close to 200 players to estimate) with 50+ fps so no SWTOR-HERO stuff here.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

Your completely avoiding the point that the other poster presented. What do you disagree with TotalBiscuit about concerning Planetside 2? Your post had literally nothing to do with Planetside 2 just Blizzard.

When did I ever say I disagree with his PS2 review?  My post is about Total Biscuit and his tendency to heavily biased reviews/rants.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

When did I ever say I disagree with his PS2 review?  My post is about Total Biscuit and his tendency to heavily biased reviews/rants.

A review is supposed to be about a person's opinion.   If you want a video just stating the game mechanics, then it would be a report.  

Originally posted by jiveturkey12

So then you agree with his review of Plaentside 2? Or did you not watch the video?

If you dont agree with his review than you disagree with it, thats fairly simple. Or if you watched it and perfer not to comment on the videos content (A neutral position) than arent you just complaining about something that pertains to a completely different subject?

This post is about planetside 2, so if you havent watched the video than I dont understand why your complaining about TotalBiscuits other works, Blizzard related or otherwise, especially after you just claimed that Totalbiscuit likes to complain to get more hits? Doesnt that seem entirely contradictory?