Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hipsters... hipsters everywhere

123457»

Comments

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by strangepower

Originally posted by evolver1972

Originally posted by Ginaz

Originally posted by evolver1972 Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.   Hitler was popular.   So was disco.   The masses don't always know what they're talking about.  Which is why true democracy sucks.
    Wow, it only took the first reponse to the OP to mention Hitler.  New record?
    Perfect example of my first statement.  :)

I also mentioned *gasp* disco!  :P

Somehow I doubt that you were around for the Disco era.

And no, he wasn't popular, a whole war to fight him an all... he was very charismatic to his countrymen, and he had meth in the soldiers water lol.

But nice job on the exaggerated and extremely attention seeking term of choice, couldn't of used something.... I don't know modern and familiar? Like... cars, soda, Justin Beiber?

Born in 1972....do the math.  Besides, what's age got to do with any of it anyway?

Yes, in his country (and in many parts of the world) Hitler was very popular.  That's what happens with charismatic people.  They become popular.  You seem to be equating popular with good.

I was merely using Hitler and disco as great examples of how popular things are not necessarily good.

...and how are Hitler and disco not familiar?  Since you accused me of being too young to remember the disco age, you just kind of contradicted yourself.

BTW, it's funny to see that you are too young to really have any recollection of disco when it was popular, yet you tried to pin that on me.  Classic.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    This idea of not playing a game because its popular, i agree is quite stupid. I play TSW, why, because i LIKE TSW. i hate WoW not because its popular, but because after Cataclysm it left me bleeding from the asshole and didnt even buy me dinner.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    I play EVE and it definitely is an acquired taste.

That's all I'm saying.

I hear you, but some would go so far as to say that because it's an ACQUIRED taste that it's a SUPERIOR taste.  On that I would have to disagree.  Beer is an acquired taste too, but it honestly tastes like moldy or stale bread soaked in water.  Personally, I think beer is repulsive and prefer wine and assorted liquors.  Does that mean I have SUPERIOR taste?  No.  It only means I have ACQUIRED some different tastes.

edit: By the way, I know YOU never said it was superior, just acquired.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Originally posted by Quirhid

Yep. Your opinion that there is no fine dining is negated as being a fact by other people's opinion that there is fine dining. Isn't that obvious?

If anyone can claim any game is fine dining and by doing so makes it true, don't you think it diminishes the whole notion? Afterall, the whole idea is to set your preference above everyone else's. You see if every game is fine dining, none is.

Not at all. As I said, its a subjective judgement. Its true for that person. What it does mean is that any claim that there isn't any any fine dining quality mmo's is demonstrably false, because somone thinks there is.

See, you're making the claim that no one can judge any current mmo's as being above a certain quality. For you to be wrong, someone just has to in fact judge a given mmo above a certain quality. That being the case, your argument is rendered invalid.

I'm not saying the can't, I'm saying they shouldn't. If everyone does it, the whole notion loses all value. Its perfectly fine to have your own opinion about a game, but if you advertise it as better than mine, you're wrong. Mind you, there's always more educated opinions.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Until the number of disatisfied become a united majority they aren't likely to be a significant voice.  As an MMO community we're a very divided disatisfied group and not likely a majority, therefore our voice is easily marginalized.

Look around you at the wildly disparate opinions expressed on this website, and try to imagine any force. question, opinion, topic that can really unify them.

Our local variety of proselytes, provocateurs, and would-be rebel leaders has been trying for years, no million man marches are happening yet.  Frankly, given that most of them have all of the charisma and leadership qualities of rotting baitfish, I doubt they'll ever generate more than a minority of "me toos", let alone lead a politicial party to victory.

But that won't stop 'em from trying their demagoguic best, of course.  No wonder they're so frustrated.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@ Quirhid

I put some quick though in whole matter.  I think we must clarify what we even talk about.

There are multiple reasons why person start and continue to play certain game, but I will list 3 reasons I find most universal and propably most important:

1.  Type of gameplay - basically what game is about,  how it is played, what there is to do and to lesser extent more minor things like style(but not quality) of graphics and similar things.

2.  Technical quality -  basically how well does it work.  That would include: number of bugs,  countable quality of graphics (polygon numbers, textures resulution, amount of details and so on),   performance, how quick bugs and exploits are fixed, how well bots and cheats are managed, in-game and billing support.

3. Price and / or business model. - how high is the price and how you pay.  Let's not talk about it here though.

What can be talk about is technical quality and that can be objective to a point.  Gameplay and it's type though is subjective and there is not better or worse other than on scale on personal subjective preference.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Until the number of disatisfied become a united majority they aren't likely to be a significant voice.  As an MMO community we're a very divided disatisfied group and not likely a majority, therefore our voice is easily marginalized.

Look around you at the wildly disparate opinions expressed on this website, and try to imagine any force. question, opinion, topic that can really unify them.

Our local variety of proselytes, provocateurs, and would-be rebel leaders has been trying for years, no million man marches are happening yet.  Frankly, given that most of them have all of the charisma and leadership qualities of rotting baitfish, I doubt they'll ever generate more than a minority of "me toos", let alone lead a politicial party to victory.

But that won't stop 'em from trying their demogoguic best, of course.  No wonder they're so frustrated.

Add to it willingness to 'fight for better cause'.  It is easy to express your personal opinion in your spare time, but to actually put an effort and try to make a 'diffrence' by creating some sort of big community amonst certain cause would require very hard and long work.   Well not many people would like to devote so much. Especially not much capable people and for what is purely entertaiment purpose.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

The McDonalds analogy is horrible.

600k people play EVE. 200k people play AoC. EVE is the McDonalds of MMORPGs.

It's just an ultimately stupid argument with a seriously flawed logic to it.

You are comparing two MMOs to work out the numbers of each genre of MMO in the whole industry? Compare EVE to the rest of the MMO market thats why the rest are a Big Mac. At least I think thats what you were saying, not sure.

As for me, I acquired a superior taste early in life and intend to stick to it. :)