Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

will this laptop play GW2?

Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6835328&type=product&id=1218808390586#tab=specifications

I'm currently looking into purchasing a portable gaming laptop and wondering if this is a good one to look into.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Sabnock34Sabnock34 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    it should, might need a better graphics card
  • MeriikMeriik Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Should be fine if you overclock the 2.2ghz processor, dunno how hot that will run though in a small laptop.  The game is largely CPU dependant and 2.2 is on the low end.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

It should run it. I had GW2 running on an older generation of i3 so I would think this would be fine. However, HP is horrible junk and if you want an idea on what the target audience is for these computers, just read the descriptions in the specifications column. If it tells you what you want to know, than you are their primary audience. If it doesn't tell you what you want to know, than maybe you should continue to look for advice (like you are currently doing)   :)

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Zeppelin5083Zeppelin5083 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by eyelolled

It should run it. I had GW2 running on an older generation of i3 so I would think this would be fine. However, HP is horrible junk and if you want an idea on what the target audience is for these computers, just read the descriptions in the specifications column. If it tells you what you want to know, than you are their primary audience. If it doesn't tell you what you want to know, than maybe you should continue to look for advice (like you are currently doing)   :)

I always ask around before making a purchase this big. I've never used an HP laptop before, do you have something you would recommend in that price range?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

There was a link here in a post a couple of weeks ago about GW2 running on a Microsoft Surface Pro (NOT the currently available RT-- that won't work.) It has a newer i5 processor with the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics. If it can run it, just about any newer i5 based laptop will be able to.

Contrary to popular belief, GW2 isn't all that demanding on the hardware and it's much less graphics card dependent than other MMOs.

The one you linked has better specs than the Surface Pro--it will be fine...just not tablety :)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I always ask around before making a purchase this big. I've never used an HP laptop before, do you have something you would recommend in that price range?

I tend to prefer ASUS > MSI > Toshiba > everything else. The worst problems I've found are with HP and ACER. Dell can be ok but the alienware lineup is nothing like it was.

That being said, there is a ton of new models out with the release of Windows 8, and nothing more than first impression reveiws on any of the current notebooks.

I recommend watching the feedback you get until Quizzical takes interest, as he keeps up on the new tech better than I do. He's not the only person with valuable information either, there are quite a few people here with their nose to the technical reveiws.  

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

Here is another for you to look at. Similar price but better graphics card. 

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Xplorer_X1M_Gaming_Notebook

Vivik-Cerberus
  • xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329

hmmm..perhaps this will help.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=will+this+laptop+play+gw2?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    I really have doubts this Intel Graphics can offer any bearable performance in GW2.  I would not risk it tbh.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I personally would not pay that price at best buy. Go to the HP website and configure you one, with at least a 7200 rpm HD and a discrete GPU. You can configure a decent laptop that will game with playable settings for around that price, especially if you go amd instead of an I7.

That laptop may play it, but not well.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Ignoring your tittle and going by your op i would strongly advise you not to get an hp as a gaming laptop, also 800$ is way too little to get a decent one, if it was a deskptop it would be fine but with laptops you gotta have a bigger budget., ESPECIALLY if what you are looking to use it for is gaming. I would recomment saving at least  1100-1300$ and get an asus that will last you a while. This way you can not only play guild wars 2 but any other game that picks your fancy with more confidence that it will run.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Never ever buy anything from best buy. online or not.

price/performance will always be better elsewhere.

Wait for Quizzy.

Always wait for quizzy. lol.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

A laptop with integrated graphics, even the Intel HD4000, is not a gaming laptop.

Will it run? Probably, but I doubt you'll be happy with it.

If you were looking for a laptop, with gaming being an afterthought, I'd say go for it. Since you mention you're looking for a gaming laptop tho, I'd suggest you look for something with a dedicated graphics card.

Here's a benchmark showing what kind of performance a desktop setup with HD4000 delivers at the resolution the laptop runs, laptop performance will be maybe 10-20% lower due to it being a weaker CPU.

That being said, CPU is king in GW2 atm, so if you find a 3Ghz+ i7 or i5 you really like, with HD4000, you can game on them, just have to lower the quality settings a bit.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Will it run as opposed to causing blue screens?  Probably.  Will it be playable at high graphical settings?  Certainly not.

Let's back up a bit.  First of all, questions like this are best asked in the hardware section of the forum.  Knowing about laptops is more useful than knowing about Guild Wars 2.

Why are you looking for a laptop in the first place, as opposed to a desktop?  Laptops have their uses, but you have to pay a lot more to get something with decent gaming performance than you would in a desktop.

What you should get depends very strongly on why you're looking at a laptop.  It also depends tremendously on your desired performance level, and on how much you're willing to spend.

The state of gaming laptops right now is that there are budget gaming laptops in the $400-$700 range that can run just about any game, but typically at reduced graphical settings.  Guild Wars 2's WvWvW is a notable exception to the "just about" any game, though.  There are a lot of cut corners to get into this budget range.

There are high end gaming laptops that start at about $1200 and can run pretty much anything at high (but not necessarily max) graphical settings.

And in between, it's stuff tends to be rather overpriced for what you get.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Zeppelin5083

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6835328&type=product&id=1218808390586#tab=specifications

I'm currently looking into purchasing a portable gaming laptop and wondering if this is a good one to look into.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

That video card will not run GW2 well at all, I have a MSI GT 70 gaming laptop I use at work I tried to run GW2 with the HD 4000 onboard card , everything on low low LOW failed hard, that computer isn't a gaming laptop your going to be hard pressed to have most if any latest games run on that, save your money and invest in a better gaming laptop , most exspensive but worth it , those units aren't meant for gaming.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by sammyeli

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230537

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230535

this is a way better option and cheaper.

^^

Is a gaming laptop and at a very very good price I would go with this  , nice link Sammyeli!

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    yes it will I played it on my mums dell lappy while i was away which was a lot less powerful that the one your thinking of buying . But I think you really should think about getting a graphics card because integrated graphics arnt that great . You will have to have everything on low settings and the fps wont be paticulary good either .theres plenty of cheaper oem graphics cards you proberbly can get if you know how to fit them yourself which wont cost an arm and a leg.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

One thing I could never understand.  Why so many people need to buy Laptops ?

-  Do you travel, and live in hotels for days on end ?

-  Do you not have internet at home.  And if you go some place, will they let you play online video games for hours on end ?

You get far less for your moeny with a Laptop for your money !.......But hay, Laptops are cool .

• Artair83Artair83 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by fenistil
    I really have doubts this Intel Graphics can offer any bearable performance in GW2.  I would not risk it tbh.

This, I never trust onboard graphics with any potential gaming besides casual stuff. Although AMD's onboard is probably better owning ATI and all but that's beside the point, I'd highly recommend you get something with ATI or Nvidia graphics.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78

do not buy a laptop with black friday deals around the corner.

and also buy one with a 650m or better gpu

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

The video card in both of those is a rebadge of the lowest end Nvidia card of the last three generations.  It will get completely destroyed by modern AMD integrated graphics, and will probably even lose sometimes to the Intel HD Graphics 4000 of the laptop in the original post.  If you're thinking about a discrete video card that is slower than integrated graphics, you might as well just go with integrated graphics.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by Quizzical

The video card in both of those is a rebadge of the lowest end Nvidia card of the last three generations.  It will get completely destroyed by modern AMD integrated graphics, and will probably even lose sometimes to the Intel HD Graphics 4000 of the laptop in the original post.  If you're thinking about a discrete video card that is slower than integrated graphics, you might as well just go with integrated graphics.

To mordern AMD maybe but to intel 4000 chip no, they are a great buy, please go check them out at your local fry's electronics and you will see what I mean, plus I dont know if you are aware currently the game is CPU intensive and with the boost you can push it up a bit. once again look at the stats and then post something. 

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by delete5230

One thing I could never understand.  Why so many people need to buy Laptops ?

-  Do you travel, and live in hotels for days on end ?

-  Do you not have internet at home.  And if you go some place, will they let you play online video games for hours on end ?

You get far less for your moeny with a Laptop for your money !.......But hay, Laptops are cool .

Because my wife and family hog the 50 inch plasma with Spongebob and Lifetime movies.  With a gaming laptop not only can I game anywhere I have WiFi but I can play while the family watches TV.

To Quizzy's point I bought my gaming laptop for 1400.  If you are going to game on a laptop from experience you will want a fast CPU and high-end graphics card.  The rest is really inconsequential.  I am running a GTX 570M and can run GW2 at max settings with no lag or slowdown.  Actually this laptop can play every game so far at max settings.  I think FFXIV ARR will push the limits.

I replace my gaming laptop every 3-4 years as thats how I calculate the maturity rate.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

my graphics card is a little worse and I have an i5 laptop and it runs perfectly fine

gets a little bogged down in WVWVW or if we're fighting a dragon with 50+ people on the screen, but  I play on high graphics mode, so whatevs

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs