Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The War Z: Unlimited Access Begins

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Hammerpoint Interactive has announced that unlimited access to The War Z has begun. To celebrate, the development team has added new playable characters, new zombies, a new action-packed zone and new 'theme' items.

Additionally, to commemorate this milestone, Hammerpoint will be reintroducing the “Legend” package for a limited time.  Through Sunday, November 4, 2012, the Legend package, which was previously sold out, will be available for $54.99 USD and will include the following:

• Full Game Access

• $30 of in-game currency

• Six-months of “stronghold” server hosting

• Special player recognition in-game and on forums

Find out more on The War Z's page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I am interested in this game because I'm a huge zombie appocalypse survivor fan,  but do they have female avatars for players?  I think last I heard they did not have half of the world's population represented.

Please excuse me if I'm wrong on this. 

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Terranah

I am interested in this game because I'm a huge zombie appocalypse survivor fan,  but do they have female avatars for players?  I think last I heard they did not have half of the world's population represented.

Please excuse me if I'm wrong on this. 

New player characters
    We have 4 more characters for you. Two guys, two girls. Each have around 4 different skins

http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread.php?47216-Upcoming-content-unlock-update

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Now what exactly do they mean by Unlimited access. I read todays patch notes, and the past 5 patch notes, and all they have done is promise more map each time, which they haven't delivered yet, and fix a few bugs every day. Which is perfectly fine but they keep saying they are adding more stuff when they haven't really added anything except the time they made the flashlight a 1 hit kill.

To above poster, no they do not have female avatars yet. Or anything other than 3 different face options and 2 different shirts.

EDIT: I guess I was wrong? They said they are doing a patch this week for the content, but then again they have stated this multiple times before and it never happened.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Panther2103

Now what exactly do they mean by Unlimited access. I read todays patch notes, and the past 5 patch notes, and all they have done is promise more map each time, which they haven't delivered yet, and fix a few bugs every day. Which is perfectly fine but they keep saying they are adding more stuff when they haven't really added anything except the time they made the flashlight a 1 hit kill.

To above poster, no they do not have female avatars yet. Or anything other than 3 different face options and 2 different shirts.

EDIT: I guess I was wrong? They said they are doing a patch this week for the content, but then again they have stated this multiple times before and it never happened.

Actually, there is one female avatar with several faces that you can choose from.  It was introduced several patches ago.

I know, because.. well, you know.

I find it really odd that they are claiming to introduce another full map when they haven't even opened up the existing one yet.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by Panther2103

Actually, there is one female avatar with several faces that you can choose from.  It was introduced several patches ago.

I know, because.. well, you know.

I find it really odd that they are claiming to introduce another full map when they haven't even opened up the existing one yet.

Sorry I guess I hadn't tried to make a female avatar in a few patches. I just got tired of the limited amount of anything being released in patches, just little bug fixes and promises of opening the map every patch.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I still have mixed feelings about the game. The only thing Im not liking is there is little to no positive player interaction with strangers.  Just about every video I've seen people don't even try to talk they just kill other players.   Yeah its a dog eat dog world but, I'd like to believe not everyone would be murdering jackwagons.

I'm sure I'm not the only person out there that would like to group up with friends they've made online.  Maybe it would be better to make friends out of game so you can group up. There would still be a chance of getting back stabbed of course which ads to the excitment.  

I know this isn't a RPG but you can still role play your character, and that aspect is missing in most of the latest MMORPG's.. People jsut kill stuff and don't really get in character which imo is one of the best parts of playing a game where its possible. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by cukimunga

I still have mixed feelings about the game. The only thing Im not liking is there is little to no positive player interaction with strangers.  Just about every video I've seen people don't even try to talk they just kill other players.   Yeah its a dog eat dog world but, I'd like to believe not everyone would be murdering jackwagons.

I'm sure I'm not the only person out there that would like to group up with friends they've made online.  Maybe it would be better to make friends out of game so you can group up. There would still be a chance of getting back stabbed of course which ads to the excitment.  

I know this isn't a RPG but you can still role play your character, and that aspect is missing in most of the latest MMORPG's.. People jsut kill stuff and don't really get in character which imo is one of the best parts of playing a game where its possible. 

This game is strictly a shooter, it has little content of what generally makes up a MMO.  Play it as a shooter or don't play.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

This game is strictly a shooter, it has little content of what generally makes up a MMO.  Play it as a shooter or don't play.

Oz, your comment is exactly what is wrong with games today.  I have lost count as to how many people say, deal with it or leave.  That is an elitist mentality that has destroyed many a community and will continue to do so.

Cuk, I agree with you.  With no VOIP options, it makes an already dangerous world nearly impossible to survive in.  I played DayZ, and it had the same problem even with VOIP, but at least you could occasionally convince people to not kill you.  WarZ is a giant deathmatch arena in it's current state and is advertised as a zombie survival shooter.  Surviving the zombies is fairly easy right now, it's the players that have no mercy.

Having an in-game friends list and community options will help players group, but it will also help PK'ers group as well.  The game needs to punish excessive PK'ing.  Longer lock out timers, locked out of safe areas, your character should become hardcore if you become a megabandit and lose all skill points and perks.  They need to do this, or this nearly dead community will turn into a few hundred people playing.  The reason why it's so popular right now is because of the zombies, not because of PvP.  There are dozens of better PvP games out there right now, why don't YOU go play those.  

See what I did there?  Damn elitists always tell us to go play something else.  I just threw it right back at you.

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

I have only tried FPS games a couple of times and they leave me cold.  You run around and then the screen goes blurry and then you realize you have just been head-shot by someone with a sniper rifle you never see.  It is probably realistic but the fun factor is not there.

Agree with the above concerns on how they can build WarZ's social aspect if 99 percent of the players are like rabid chimpanzees killing everyone they see, human and zombie.

The problem is they are mixing genres.  The typical Zombie Apocalypse has the humans banding together to survive against the undead.  The typical Mad-Max style Apocalypse has people standing in for the monsters, so its humans v. humans.

If WarZ means killing everyone you see, zombie or human, then why bother creating a virtual world?  There won't be any interactions beyond pulling the trigger and corpse-jumping.

Maybe I am being too harsh.  But I don't see this game appealing beyond the narrow niche that just wants to kill pixels.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    What does this offer that DayZ doesn't?
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

shooters are fun but when the hackers come, the ingame death penalty is going to really hurt.

I think I'll wait a little bit and see.  Anyone have links to the new female skins?  I don't do ugly well.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Ok -was waiting for this post!

Ive been a huge Fan 'follower' of this game since mentioned.

unfortunately -PK players, and sensless shooting to unarmed beta players with the HUGE 1hr penalty -has killed the game for me and many other in the game forums.

sensless kids with exploits-made this game a bit unberable to play.

I hope when they release the servers- they will be a few restricted clans that will focus on good gameplay and not this kind of Black Ops/Code of Honor kids play.

was expecting a bit more mature pvp playerbase like eveonline-instead found the players are the ones that needed much fixing not the game.

shame.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    What does this offer that DayZ doesn't?

actually the graphics and ui is awsome to use. But i prefer the DayZ player base any day over this game .

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

It is a brutal game.  In its current state, all you do is look around for weapons and shoot anyone who comes near you.  If you are looking for more than a shooter, you might want to wait for a while before buying the game. 

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• GeladiusGeladius Member UncommonPosts: 29
    More bugs and an incomplete game
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

DayZ > WarZ

No contest, The War Z is a joke to be entirely frank.

I was mildly interested until the lead dev refered to spawn-killing PKers as "faggots" openly on the official forums and then ninja edited it after the community lost it on him for such a callous and disrespectful remark.

I'd rather burn a fifty dollar bill than give a single cent of it to these charlatans.

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215

Rent yur own server, set you own rules.

When in doubt, troll.

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    Thank god refunds are possible with this game.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

For an alpha test I think its very playable... and thats saying somthing for an alpha test..

I guess now its just moving into beta right? been too busy playing the wasteland mod for ARMA II at the moment lol..

What i got from testing it over the first few weeks what that it was basically an easier to get into version of DayZ the character movement and interaction is a lot more fluid.. more like your average fps style controls and so on if you know what i mean.. I think the majority of people would pick it over DayZ jsut because of that as I know a lot of people just cant get on with the way the charaters move and so on in Dayz.

I have also had a few good clan fights where about 10-15 of us defending the big multi story building in the main town and other people trying to attack us to take our stuff.. and yeah it was good fun.

Hopefully they will be adding in more content, i know they said they wanted to start getting in more building material in the next patch and open up the map a bit more..

Most of all remember the games is still in the testing phase so dont start playing expecting a finished game with no bugs..

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

The game is alot of fun! ^_^ Enjoying the Alpha-
    NDA drops NOV.4th excited for that. :3

Although- Iv never played DayZ before- nor have I ever played W.A.R INC - so perhaps my views are not as accepted as to someone- who has purchased and played DayZ, Iv played ARMA- and a 'DayZ-alike' Server.

The simple fact is- War-Z to me looks like it's within the right year- ARMA is outdated, and buggy.

It's only in the alpha stages, and lots of fixes- are required.
    Currently- Hackers slightly dampen the Alpha Experience- but other than that.

Cant wait for the Friends/Buddy system releases ^_^ >~ Mhm!~

The game is on it's way to being worth the SURVIVOR package, they released more map on the 31st, and fixed the scary high hitting/DMG zombies. :[ including adding new zombies- which makes me happy. ^_^ You seem to worry more about the zombies now- and venture deeper into the citys/towns- you find yourself not meeting other survivors- at times. :3

Still lots to try out- I like the game o_o >~ Lots of others enjoying it too- but lots of ragers, and trolls. and hackers- and....you know. community- that's a bit shitty. :3 hehe.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Ehliya

I have only tried FPS games a couple of times and they leave me cold.  You run around and then the screen goes blurry and then you realize you have just been head-shot by someone with a sniper rifle you never see.  It is probably realistic but the fun factor is not there.

Agree with the above concerns on how they can build WarZ's social aspect if 99 percent of the players are like rabid chimpanzees killing everyone they see, human and zombie.

The problem is they are mixing genres.  The typical Zombie Apocalypse has the humans banding together to survive against the undead.  The typical Mad-Max style Apocalypse has people standing in for the monsters, so its humans v. humans.

If WarZ means killing everyone you see, zombie or human, then why bother creating a virtual world?  There won't be any interactions beyond pulling the trigger and corpse-jumping.

Maybe I am being too harsh.  But I don't see this game appealing beyond the narrow niche that just wants to kill pixels.

I agree. The main reason for me not playing the game is that I see little point in MMO death match arenas. They need to add incentives for people to group up and not just running around and slaughtering each other.

Originally posted by Yamota

I agree. The main reason for me not playing the game is that I see little point in MMO death match arenas. They need to add incentives for people to group up and not just running around and slaughtering each other.

this!!!

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

DayZ > WarZ

No contest, The War Z is a joke to be entirely frank.

I was mildly interested until the lead dev refered to spawn-killing PKers as "faggots" openly on the official forums and then ninja edited it after the community lost it on him for such a callous and disrespectful remark.

I'd rather burn a fifty dollar bill than give a single cent of it to these charlatans.

I agree with his statement, don't get all butt hurt about it. Oh wait.....