Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well that was quick. Microsoft Surface RT is obsolete. Already.

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Originally posted by Tamanous

Golly. This guy can't wait 6 months for the new versions every damn company pumps out?

As I've been saying for quite some time, the move from "puts a processor intended for cell phones or laptops in a tablet form factor" to "uses a processor actually built from the ground up with tablets in mind" will be a much larger leap in performance than a normal generational jump.  The Google Nexus 10 is merely the first tablet on the right side of that jump.  We'll see many others very soon, whether based on the same Samsung Exynos 5 chips, or Nvidia Tegra 4, Qualcomm Krait, Intel Silvermont Atom, AMD Temash, whatever Apple decides to call it when they make the same jump, or various other ARM licensees.

Originally posted by dotdotdash

They are OS demonstrations, designed primarily to market the Microsoft/Google ecosystems to manufacturers.

Actually, rumors say that Microsoft's manufacturing partners (Asus, Acer, Lenovo, Dell, HP, etc.) are furious over the existence of Surface.  There has long been an understanding that, if you build hardware for a Microsoft OS, you pay Microsoft for the OS license, but don't otherwise have to compete with them.  Surface changes that.  Google doesn't charge $80 for an Android license like Microsoft does for Windows RT.  Neither does Google claim the right to control what software can go on your tablets as Microsoft does with Windows RT.

Some bigwig in AMD's server division has in the past, when asked why AMD doesn't build their own servers directly rather than relying on other vendors to do so, replied with something to the effect of, if AMD builds their own servers, other companies will be a lot less inclined to do so.  Microsoft is putting that notion to the test with Surface.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Microsoft messes everything up the first time through. I think when they have a tablet that could be used as a PC with a keyboard/mouse/monitor, then they'll really hit their stride. They'll have to actually compete though...it won't be like the 90s and most of the 00s where they just ran amok.

I guess your frame of reference is limited. I don't believe in OS religion and I am definately not an MS evangelist but here is a glimpse of your "first time through".

MicroSoft were thinking tablets while Apple was begging them for money :-)

RT may fail for a lot of reasons but it is built on a lot of experience. The desktop windows8 (cantdecidewthiamOS tm) is a different beast. I doubt it will find widespread enterprise use in the next 18 months.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Well, if you consider that Nexus 10 can't run Windows RT (or at least it can't yet) - then no, it's no obsolete.

It may be ~slower~, but that's a far cry from obsolete. Hardware improves all the time. And tablet hardware, since it's getting a lot of attention, is improving at breakneck pace right now.

Alternatively, you could have pointed out that you can buy a Microsoft Surface RT today, while the Google Nexus 10 is only available for pre-order for the next two weeks or so.  So yes, the title was hyperbole to some degree.

But they can make a Windows RT tablet out of hardware comparable to the Google Nexus 10, and soon will--unless hardware vendors collectively decide that no one wants Windows RT so there's no point in making tablets for it.  Which they might.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

I recall the 'Surface' justification by Paul (at winsupersite.com) that MS got fed up that none of their hardware partners were 'getting the tablet'. Remember the awful HP one that MS promoted a few years back? Yeah, me too.

Isn't Google's Nexus the 'standard android phone'? Yes, google doesn't produce them but still, I can kinda see a similar logic being applied to the 'Surface'.

Course the smartphone standard is a 'Samsung Galaxy'. :P

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

TL:DR

Googles new thingie and all the parts in said thingy are better than Microsofts new thingie and it's contained parts.

AND ITS 100 DOLLARS CHEAPER.

That's all I as a consumer need to know.

That's all anyone else NOT tech savvy will need to hear.

Microsoft Loses this round.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I've heard great things about the keyboard that comes with surface, if it hasn't been brought up yet.

for me the kindle fire hd 8.9 is the best bang for your buck though, not the 4g version, that's atrocious.

Originally posted by jpnz

I recall the 'Surface' justification by Paul (at winsupersite.com) that MS got fed up that none of their hardware partners were 'getting the tablet'. Remember the awful HP one that MS promoted a few years back? Yeah, me too.

Isn't Google's Nexus the 'standard android phone'? Yes, google doesn't produce them but still, I can kinda see a similar logic being applied to the 'Surface'.

The Samsung Galaxy line of phones, tablets, and whatever else they want to call them today runs Google Android.

Originally posted by adam_nox

I've heard great things about the keyboard that comes with surface, if it hasn't been brought up yet.

It depends on what you're comparing it to.  If you're comparing it to trying to type by touching the screen in various places, it's probably great.  If you're comparing it to trying to type on a phone, then again, it's probably great.  If you're comparing it to trying to type on a laptop, then it's likely to be rather bad, though it depends on the particular laptop that you're using for comparison.  And if you're comparing it to a $20 desktop keyboard, then the surface keyboard is an unmitigated disaster.  Key travel depth matters.

Also, the surface keyboard is $100 extra.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    Originally posted by jpnz

The Samsung Galaxy line of phones, tablets, and whatever else they want to call them today runs Google Android.

Last line was a joke since Samsung phones outsells everything right now >.>

On topic, if MS can actually get their Win Phone / Surface to integrate with their desktop OS properly, I can see that being the ultimate selling point that no one will be able to touch. Doesn't matter that the tablet functionality isn't as good or the Windows app store isn't as large, normal people will buy into that platform.

Course this is MS, so chances of that happening are pretty much nil.

PS. Sorry linux/mac users, but mainstream desktop is still MS Windows. :P

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by kedoremos

Windows RT's applications can be written in C# / .NET with Visual Studio. Native Android applications are written (by and large) using Java for the Dalvik VM. Java is a far cry from C# due to its terrible generics support and never-gonna-get properties. Not to mention you've got to use Eclipse!

Windows' install base is gigantic. The average user doesn't care what OS the tablet has as long as its easy to use and Windows 8 / RT is easy for new users.

Most users don't care about specs like what you're saying, they care about access to their stuff as quickly as possible. If they get frustrated even for 15 seconds, they're turned off.

Credentials: I've been a Windows developer for the last 10 years. I'm also RedHat and Java certified. I don't have an axe to grind, I simply care about making solutions that my customers will use.

Its idiots like those customers why gaming is going down the shithouse, and why they have to keep making simpler and simpler games which is ruining the market, compared oblivion to skyrim, skyrim has like half the featureset oblivion does.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Toxia

TL:DR

Googles new thingie and all the parts in said thingy are better than Microsofts new thingie and it's contained parts.

AND ITS 100 DOLLARS CHEAPER.

That's all I as a consumer need to know.

That's all anyone else NOT tech savvy will need to hear.

Microsoft Loses this round.

Except I don't like Android OS and I like Windows.  A hundred bucks cheaper for something I don't want that doesn't do me any good isn't a round winner for me.  I like your "tech-savvy" barb.  Funny stuff.  The hardware difference doesn't matter.  The droid tablet isn't going to be any better or do anything better on a practical level.  On the other hand the Windows OS integrates well with my Windows desktops.

Yeah, I am looking at getting a windows phone, buying a new PC in the next year, so it will be windows 8....I would rather buy a windows 8 tablet (I would wait till it fleshes out a little, but the $100, I wouldn't be worried about it).  If I can keep everything within one OS (for the most part, even though they are a little different, but no where near platform different), thats great.  Now if something sucked, yeah, don't want it, but I have not read anything close to saying Windows 8 sucks, different, more of a mobile OS, etc...But not that it sucks.  As many that say they hate it, say they love it...It will take getting use to.

Going from a DOS based platform, to windows was different too...