Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The General Moderation Discussion Thread

RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I just saw a moderator lock a thread and suggest any general moderation discussions should take place here, so I thought I would start one.

My pet peeve is posts being deleted with no communication as to why so you can't change your behaviour to suit.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Agreed, really irks me to see threads locked especially if there is no comment by the moderator as to why.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

1. If you someone doesnt follow guidelines, don't just delete his posts, i want to see what he was warned/banned/locked for.

2. Display if someone is banned

3. If someone posted something in a wrong section of the forum or you deemed it "topic hijacking", please, again, don't delete his posts, just move the resulting discussion into another part of the forum (you can split threads, righ?).

I'm allergic to censorship and even if someone was breaching guidelines, do not delete his posts, we all deserve to see what he wrote to get the treatment.

Its a learning tool. If we see what is inappropriate, we can adapt and become better posters.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Please check the forum. There is an existing thread for this: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/366669/Way-too-strict-moderation.html

Much of the feedback expressed here was answered in that thread.

@AdamTM:

1.Appreciate the feedback, but I don't really find this necessary.

2. Not really sure what the benefit of this is. It's something we can do, but again, I don't really see a point.

3. No, we cannot split threads. And even if we could, I'm not going to have my team create new threads out of off-topic posts in existing threads. Just try to stay on topic. :)

I agree with you that our Rules of Conduct and the application of infractions are used as a learning tool. In fact, I'm fairly certain I expressed as much in the thread linked above. It's not necessary to publicly display what other users do wrong in order to achieve this. Those who violate our Rules of Conduct will receive a warning which will let them know something is not allowed (the purpose of said warning).

Again, as I said in the existing thread, it's generally pretty simple. Stay on topic and be civil and you're not likely to run into any issues. If you do run into something you disagree with, my door is always open and I'm more than willing to discuss it with you and rectify it if we've made a mistake.

This discussion has been closed.