Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR and GW2 Im Returning To SWTOR

2»

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

@OP

good decision.

SWTOR has a greater longterm value anyway.

Agreed.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Karteli

Tough question .. neither game was a real MMORPG savior, each having significant flaws.

There is a chance that GW2 might implement progression some day, since many people are bored from not having it and ArenaNet might listen. 

There is also a chance that SWTOR might steer themselves away from their WoW-clone model one day, since it is also somewhat boring.

Neither game is extraordinary, currently, but given EA's vs. ArenaNets track record for listening to customer feedback, I would expect changes to GW2 before I really see anything drastically new  in SWTOR.

As simple as the changes to progession sound, I don't think ANET is very keen on level progression to begin with.  They only added levels to appease a certain player base and the implementation in GW2 is lacking to say the least.  Also, ANET seems to be resting on their laurels a bit.  I don't see them doing anything drastic.

I'm going to give EA the benefit of the doubt and hope that they will implement changes that appeal to a greater base.  They simply need to recoup that $200 million or w/e the budget ended up being.  I think they have the greater motivation of the two companies.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by grimal

Tough question .. neither game was a real MMORPG savior, each having significant flaws.

There is a chance that GW2 might implement progression some day, since many people are bored from not having it and ArenaNet might listen. 

There is also a chance that SWTOR might steer themselves away from their WoW-clone model one day, since it is also somewhat boring.

Neither game is extraordinary, currently, but given EA's vs. ArenaNets track record for listening to customer feedback, I would expect changes to GW2 before I really see anything drastically new  in SWTOR.

As simple as the changes to progession sound, I don't think ANET is very keen on level progression to begin with.  They only added levels to appease a certain player base and the implementation in GW2 is lacking to say the least.  Also, ANET seems to be resting on their laurels a bit.  I don't see them doing anything drastic.

I'm going to give EA the benefit of the doubt and hope that they will implement changes that appeal to a greater base.  They simply need to recoup that $200 million or w/e the budget ended up being.  I think they have the greater motivation of the two companies.

100% agree with you here.  I'm just wondering if EA has anyone that really understands the MMO industry well enough to pull this off.  Because past actions prove otherwise.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by ragz45

100% agree with you here.  I'm just wondering if EA has anyone that really understands the MMO industry well enough to pull this off.  Because past actions prove otherwise.

Well, hopefully after all those firings they found someone!

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

I just ate a whole 2 bowls of chili reading this. Happy Halloween!

• DarkOmegaDarkOmega Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Hanve fun and enjoy your stay in a WoW clone with crappier endgame.

Which one do you mean? Guild Wars or SWTOR? Cause yeah both of em you move around with WASD and use a mouse and such. Besides that not sure which one your referring to a being the wow clone. Both have rather large differences to that cesspool of a game.

As to the rest of the thread:

Guild Wars 2 has less end game (IE no end game cept for item skins) then SWTOR, however EA is a money hungry dicktator of a publisher so that's not in SWTOR's favor. Bioware is much much better at the story telling then Anet is and while alot of the initial SWTOR complaints were based around not enough, or buggy end game content at least some of that was because some people have zero lives outside of the pixel worlds and finish stuff meant to take weeks/months in a few days.

Both games have their merits, I do currently play GW2 but that is very very quickly wearing thin as I've beat the game and nothing else to do. I will definately be headed back to SWTOR in the near future F2P or not. I might try GW2 again in a few months when they add more content to do.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

They have motivation, although I'm concerned whether EA has the ability to pull something off.  F2P, for instance, is really just a repackaging of the product without changing the original recipe.  Arguably, they added sprinkles (whee!!).  I guess their motivation lies in financial short term gain, and not with game innovations for the long term, in order to get their initial investment back.

The Super Secret Space Project might be an interesting major change for SWTOR, but EA has undergone so much internal restructuring in their BioWare Austin studio that who knows if this even got past white board diagrams.  Fans keep the idea alive .. but EA just says, "We have no new information at this time", etc.

On the ArenaNet front, true, it would be unlikely to see drastic changes, but not impossible (even then it would be an expansion).  The same with EA's SWTOR, as it is, currently.  Both games seem to be sharing the notion of getting everything you can from what you got, without going much further than that.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon
    Well I level my Norn Warrior to 68 so far im real casual? I stop playing GW2 becouse my Guild all of the sudden stop playing and im also bored and dont want to level my Toon again and go to all those vistas skill points etc, I want to come to Star Wars The Old Republic Becouse I want a Sense Of Community and also Gameplay and Storyline plus Star Wars is Star Wars so im Excited to come back specially when it goes free to play, and since im starting fresh by that time I reach cap level it will be free to play, what you guys say? is it worth coming back to Star Wars The Old Republic? im looking for Fun.

Thanks for sharing.  Bye.

Steam: Neph

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

About the Super Secret Space Project - the last meaningful comment from Allison is dated August 13.

I got some info from Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) about this for you! He says that the "super secret space project" is certainly not dead and is in development. Unfortunately, we're not ready to say much more than that about it. We do, though, have more space content coming in the near future, and will continue work on the "super secret space project!"

Edit. I hope we will hear more after F2P will go live.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Good luck in SWTOR. If I'm ever going to install that game again it'll be to experience the stories. Not that those stories are all that great, but some are decent if not simply good. I can't imagine paying for anything in SWTOR since beyond the story there simply isn't anything worth paying for. I might see it when they go F2P, but I'm in no hurry since some of the stories are just plain awful.

Let's hope they can turn this around, but I'm far from confident that EA will be succesfull at running a F2P game and turning a profit on it.

imageimage
  • SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by moguy2

I just ate a whole 2 bowls of chili reading this. Happy Halloween!

I want chili.